Thread: Match Lottery payouts to 'charitable' funding

Default Match Lottery payouts to 'charitable' funding

I just made this point on the Fort McMurray fire thread but want to give it more prominence.

52% makes it back to the winners but only 33% makes it to the funded organizations.

I'd say, lets separate out the admin costs for the system and then split the proceeds evenly. End result: Fewer millionaires, who may just take the money and run (to spend it outside of Canada*) and a bit more to put back into Canada to solve some of our infrastructure and societal problems. And it's still all voluntary giving.

Maybe it's time to re-priortize lotteries based payouts. As in cut the payouts to ticket buyers a bit. I think we could survive fewer millionaires - but some of our societal problems can be real killers.

Say, let's match the percent given to the winner with the percent that actually makes it to the charities.

These revenues total more than $1.5 billion each year, and are used to support thousands of volunteer, public and community-based initiatives annually.

http://albertalotteryfund.ca/aboutthealf/default.asp

http://albertalotteryfund.ca/aboutth...emoneygoes.asp

"The remaining 33.1 percent..."

A: Of every dollar spent on tickets, approximately 52.1 percent goes back to players in the form of prizes. Lottery retail commissions are approximately 7.0 percent of sales. Western Canada Lottery Corporation operating expenses are approximately 6.8 percent of sales with ticket printing accounting for an additional 1.0 percent. The remaining 33.1 percent is revenue returned to WCLC's members - the governments of Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba and associate members Yukon Territory, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.

http://www.wclc.com/faq-3.htm

I'm back. Forgot to mention, that the roughly 42.6% (down from 52.1%) player payout would yield the Alberta Lottery Fund about $430 million more dollars for giving. (Plus the same gain of 28-29% for Sask. etc.)

As a buyer of lottery tickets, I don't know if I'd even notice a a slight lightning up of prizes in favour of the house.

(This all assumes - big time - that the ratio could be changed for all gaming.)

* Note: If winners extract their winnings from the domestic economy, it creates an interesting issue - is the system then self-defeating?
    ~
    Last edited by KC; 05-05-2016 at 05:30 PM.

highlander

You know what would be cool?

Allow mid-sized and large winners (say $5000 and up) be allowed to direct a portion of the charitable half, perhaps within a list of in-province charities and approved arts/culture groups.

Yes, let the three levels of government fleece us everyway they can. More money for them to spend of senate swine, dubious expenses, bloated excess and gold plated pensions. Let's just hand anything and everything we earn, find, win over to them.
    Geez, can a person not enjoy their winnings without it already be spoken for.
    I like to think most people who win large amounts contribute to a charity of THEIR choice and not one that the government chooses. Lotteries etc. are a game of chance, the more you buy the bigger chance you have of winning. The more tickets collectively sold the bigger the prize and also more that is going to the Lottery Foundation. Let the foundation spend money as it wishes and let the people who win spend the money how they wish. That includes what charities they want to donate to.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

I was hoping to find more voluntary giving to redirect funds to charities etc. Not a "tax" for senate expenses.

This would create either fewer jackpot winners or slightly smaller jackpots to the same number of winners.

Ya, I'm with Gemini on this. The government already has control over so much of our money. How about we let the lucky winners decide how to spend their own money. I bet most winners give a big chunk to charity anyway.