Thread: Cheaper internet may be coming after cabinet rejects Bell appeal

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Cheaper internet may be coming after cabinet rejects Bell appeal

that's good news for low income families and middle income earners.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/be...ains-1.3577044
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Interesting ruling by the CRTC but from what I read there is no timeline for Bell. In which case, it could be a long time before they need to respond. For instance, Telus announced last year that they were going to fiber Edmonton, but most of Edmonton on Telus's availability map is slated as "planned for future phases." Translation: I'm not holding my breath anytime soon for fiber to be in Clareview. I thought Bell like Telus bundles its phone/cable/internet service already?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Part of the reason Telus was so gung-ho about fibre in Edmonton was because they were counting on Bell not losing this case. They currently have to offer wholesale prices to their existing "copper" infrastructure (much like the cable companies have to on their side as well), but previously not the fibre side of things, giving them a monopoly over the higher-end speeds that are only viable with the new network. Now that they'll have to share & won't have a lock on the market they seem to be far less speedy in the rollout.

Oh, how I loathe Telus, Rogers, Bell & Shaw. A cadre of cronies running a cartel of crooks.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Oh, how I loathe Telus, Rogers, Bell & Shaw. A cadre of cronies running a cartel of crooks.
    Nice line noodle!

Hey, I said I'd try to make my forum persona less salty & bitter, more savoury. I'm a man of my words. Sometimes.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

I think in time technology is going to save us, I hope so anyway. I expect at some point, wireless internet will get so fast, we won't need to rely on these cable companies / it will be easy for new internet entrants to set up some centralized wireless hardware in cities that bypasses this stuff. That's my dream anyway... we need WISP entrants:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20672...t-service.html

A true WISP is a mix of cellular provider and satellite provider elements. Like a cell provider, it mounts antennas on towers (or atop buildings) to transmit signals, and it installs an antenna—or in some cases, a dish—on the customer’s home or building. Like a satellite service provider, it typically delivers service to a fixed location.

Most WISPs are regional operators that serve limited areas. Netlinx, for instance, serves residential and business customers in southern Pennsylvania. The company’s prices for residential service range from $30 to $80 per month. At the low end, you get download speeds of up to 1 mbps, with speed bursts of up to 3 mbps. Upload speeds at this tier are 512 kilobits per second. At the high end, you get download speeds of up to 15 mbps (with bursts up to 30 mbps) and upload speeds of 3 mbps.
    Last edited by moahunter; 20-05-2016 at 10:41 AM.

Hahahahahhahahaha

That's a good one.

Wireless requires spectrum & guess who owns most of the spectrum in Canada? The existing participants in the market place.

Plus those wireless towers have to be connected to a wired backbone. Who owns the backbone in Canada? the existing participants in the market place.

The communications infrastructure in Canada should be nationalized, given that an internet connection is considered to be essential for modern Canadian society.

(And microwave/satellite internet has too much latency for many applications from gaming to videoconferencing)

^we haven't nationalized electricity or gas, or gasoline or... Put a government in charge of it, with fat bureaucrats with jobs for life, and we will pay more not less, telephones were expensive in the old days when governments and cities owned the networks, but there was even less innovation then as no reason to introduce anything new / better, as no competition. I'm pretty sure those towers could work at some quite different frequencies, as they aren't aiming at cell phones but receiving dishes. I'm willing to bet in the next decade a lot of the cable / wired infrastructure we rely on now will have been bypassed by new entrants, we already see companies like google experimenting with drones, balloons and similar for internet.
    Last edited by moahunter; 20-05-2016 at 11:05 AM.

All of the radio spectrum in Canada controlled & licenced by the CRTC. You can't just "change the channel" and call it a day.

It's almost like you have no idea what you're talking about, between your confusion about how telecommunications in Canada works under the CRTC & your laws-of-physics-breaking ideas about how "wireless" communications work.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    All of the radio spectrum in Canada controlled & licenced by the CRTC. You can't just "change the channel" and call it a day.

It's almost like you have no idea what you're talking about, between your confusion about how telecommunications in Canada works under the CRTC & your laws-of-physics-breaking ideas about how "wireless" communications work.
    Its almost like you live in a world where nothing has changed in the last decade and naively believe nothing will change in the next decade. Not sure you have noticed, but hardware is moving fast, and new companies are disrupting established industries (uber is a good example, Netflix was another). Yes, TELUS and Rogers and Bell and similar have much of the released spectrum right now, and yes, they have a self interest in keeping everyone connected to that, but there will be new technogies, and new spectrum releases and sales, and there will be new hardware technology. I personally don't think fiber or coaxial is the future for the final few kms to consumers, I think it will be something much cheaper and simpler, but time will tell. As soon as someone sets up a decent wireless internet access (which might be connected into a current player, or might have its own line into the US), I'll switch to it (Bells is crazy expensive), its just a matter of time.
    Last edited by moahunter; 20-05-2016 at 11:19 AM.

The problem of Internet in Canada is lack of competition, not a need to nationalize the infrastructure. Also technology to be able flexibility in using wireless spectrum is under way. In my previous life, I wrote my thesis on "Cognitive Radio"s. And efforts are underway to incorporate such solutions within 5G standards, when they will be formally drafted. However I suspect regulators in Canada will find ways to protect the oligopoly model currently in place.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    The problem of Internet in Canada is lack of competition, not a need to nationalize the infrastructure. Also technology to be able flexibility in using wireless spectrum is under way. In my previous life, I wrote my thesis on "Cognitive Radio"s. And efforts are underway to incorporate such solutions within 5G standards, when they will be formally drafted. However I suspect regulators in Canada will find ways to protect the oligopoly model currently in place.
    There's ample research showing that we don't need duplication of infrastructure by many competitors - that's simply wasted resources with huge costs. Last mile being nationalized would allow\ any competitors to sell the service \allow for much more competition with infinitely reduced cost of entry. They would all pay a fee per subscriber to the dept to pay for maintenance and constant upgrades, and as a non-profit, there would be few barriers to upgrading.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Perhaps nationalized is a step too far, but we absolutely should decouple the retail side of telecommunications from the infrastructure side of things and then regulate the living heck outta the infrastructure, just like we've done with electricity & natural gas.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

In Alberta we already have a "nationalized" internet backbone with SuperNet.

In my opinion municipalities should be utilizing SuperNet to establish municipal fibre systems. Olds did it already and they now offer the fastest speeds in the country.

We need to face the fact that the big players do not want to offer us globally competitive high speed internet. They are completely unwilling to take advantage of the taxpayer built SuperNet backbone which is sitting there ripe for the picking. Why would they when no one is going to compete with them? Why not just force the same old terrible product on consumers at absurd prices?
    Last edited by Jaerdo; 20-05-2016 at 12:50 PM.

Shaw isn't too bad if you just stick to internet, but like the others they gouge you when you add in cable.

I switched to a reseller (TekSavvy) instead of Shaw. Other than the switchover & the second-class technical support the 2 times in 5 years it's gone down it's been the best choice I've made.

I'm no expert but it seems to me internet needs to be open source not just regulated to the top big 3. A colleague of mine works for Dell tech support. He mentioned of this open source TV platform he had installed on his smart phone. I can't recall its name Obmc or something. Apparently it was shut down. But imo open source is the way to go but that's probably another conversation.

Anyone who's on Teksavvy via cable, note they've updated their plans. I'm going from 60 to 150 with no change in the monthly cost (I do need to buy a new modem though) @ $70/month.

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm at the low end of their range, it might be time to bump it up at tier.
    There can only be one.

I'm actually paying less for 150mbit now than I was paying for 50mbit 18 months ago. Including the modem purchase amortized over a year.

Do you notice much of a difference at that level?
    There can only be one.

Telus Pure fiber will be in the Clareview area next September. Insiders tell me that they can run fiber through traditional copper wire lines. Shaw is digging up areas by the old Clareview shopping centre now.

I'm more concerned of upload speeds then download.

Good news about Telus pure fiber it will not change our current billing rate when it gets here.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    Do you notice much of a difference at that level?
    I'll let you know definitively when my modem arrives, but given I'm running into bandwidth issues now I'm happy to get more of it for the same money.

^ Before your new modem is installed can you do a AB speed test, like ping rates upload seeds that sort of thing? Enquiring minds need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    ^ Before your new modem is installed can you do a AB speed test, like ping rates upload seeds that sort of thing? Enquiring minds need to know.
    I get more than my promised speeds, always have, plus no blocked ports or bandwidth caps.

Currently my 60/10Mbit package maxes out at ~8.3MB/s down & 1.4MB/s up.

I get a sub-30ms ping to Google's DNS servers & routinely game using my connection with nary a concern.