Thread: Best places to eat by yourself?

Default Best places to eat by yourself?

Simply too hard to find a good dining partner most of the time and I'm missing out on trying so many places. Which ones can I go to solo and get a good experience sitting at the bar or whatnot?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Hard Core Contributor

North 53 might work

I'd rather C2E than work!

Meat would be good as well. My wife and I have sat there a few times and the bartenders have been quite chatty if you want them to be.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

C2E Long Term Contributor

Common, Woodwork, The Marc, Bodega.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Always seems like theres singles of both sexes at the Chop Bar in the Sutton Hotel. The place is reasonably attractive, well staffed, not terribly busy but lots of screens to watch hockey, or just nice bar and staff to interact with. Reasonable menu available in restaurant or bar.

Confederation Lounge at the Mac is nice and can accommodate singles but moreso when its not busy or when the patio is open. I like it there just because of the ambience and view. Nice place to curl up with a drink and read or just stare off. Good menu options.

Workshop Eatery way out by Summerside on southside is a pretty unique place, has a nice bar, and yourself being culinary inclined you might like the unique open surrounding and watching the kitchen, bar, everything from your seat. Nice building as well and worth a look. I've heard some criticism of the bartending not being up to par but could be an off experience. Generally I find it a bit pricy but unique. Certainly the staff bend over backwards trying to please as they try to build clientele in a new establishment. Still though the expected hiccups and wrinkles and the establishment figuring it out. They'll talk to you about the garden onsite, honey bees on the roof and how honey production is going, etc.
    Last edited by Replacement; 27-05-2016 at 04:37 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

IanO if you are by yourself you could save some money and grab a bite at McDs. Didn't you get the coupons in your mailbox? You could wear a bit of a disguise in case you come upon someone that knows you. lol

99th Street diner

Play Tom Waits on your phone

"Now the waitress calls
    "Eggs and sausage and a side of toast
    Coffee and a roll, hash browns over easy
    Chile in a bowl with burgers and fries, now what kind of pie?"

A la mode if you will
    Just come in to join the crowd
    Had some time to kill
    See, I'd just come in to join the crowd
    Tom Waits - Eggs & Sausage
    Lyrics | MetroLyrics "
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 27-05-2016 at 07:16 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

If going for lunch, don't forget food trucks....good variety of options around town, a good compromise of price and quality...

You can dine solo anywhere these days, just bring a portable device or a book for company, and don't give a single gram of f*** what anyone else thinks. It's something that I grew accustomed to from a few years of working on the road in cities where I didn't know anyone but didn't want to stay holed up in a hotel room every evening. If I eat out on my own I do get some stares from some patrons, but eff 'em I don't care.

But if you feel discomfort at eating out by yourself then just dine at the bar in any restaurant that has a lounge section. Every time I've gone to the downtown Cactus Club there are always a few solo diners sitting at the bar in their lounge. And in such setting, maybe you'll hook up with someone new! Likewise in any Japanese restaurant, just sit at the sushi bar. A restaurant attached to a hotel is also a good bet.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    IanO if you are by yourself you could save some money and grab a bite at McDs. Didn't you get the coupons in your mailbox? You could wear a bit of a disguise in case you come upon someone that knows you. lol
    If ever there was a douchey comment on C2E, this is probably one of the tops.

All good, just wish they had an urban format store
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Daravara is great. Good food, nice atmosphere (aka no TV's), and friendly servers.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Agree with Ian, bar at Bodega and Woodwork both great. Even bar at Cask and Barrel for just a drink.
    The bar at Ampersand27 is a neat layout too for a solo person.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Daravara is great. Good food, nice atmosphere (aka no TV's), and friendly servers.
    So good. Their southern crispy chicken sandwich thing is pretty amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    You can dine solo anywhere these days, just bring a portable device or a book for company, and don't give a single gram of f*** what anyone else thinks. It's something that I grew accustomed to from a few years of working on the road in cities where I didn't know anyone but didn't want to stay holed up in a hotel room every evening. If I eat out on my own I do get some stares from some patrons, but eff 'em I don't care.
    Exactly. In this day and age, there is a lot less negative stigma for dining out alone.

People work odd hours or days. Usually it takes days to plan a night out with friends or family. So when I crave a good sit-down meal I go to a restaurant with my phone and a newspaper. I always get good service when going solo and no other patrons gives me the stares. Might be different for women.

I like Bar Bricco, Love Pizza, and my old standby, Double Greetings.

The question should be which restaurants are bad to go eat by yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    So good. Their southern crispy chicken sandwich thing is pretty amazing.
    The wife is out of town for a week, I expect I'll be there a few times.

Daravara sucks because they don't carry bottles of Canadian.

And they should do something with the washrooms.

Still grungy from the Eddie Shorts days.

Top_Dawg is curious - does the bar at Ampersan27 have TVs for watching sports ?

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Daravara sucks because they don't carry bottles of Canadian.
    That's because they only serve actual beers and ale, not fermented rice.

Thank god they don't serve that pisswater. Nasty.