Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modern day aggression

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default Modern day aggression

I don't know if it's just me but it seems in the last 10 years especially that people have generally become a lot more aggressive in nature. I mean, Road Rage has become a fact of life but 20 - 30 years was a rather rare occurrence. What gives? Is it because of "smart phones"? Is it the internet in general? Is it the sense of entitlement that people seem to have these days? Is it the lack of personal responsibility and how it's always someone else's fault?

We've all seen it on the roads, in public and pretty much everywhere. Is it true the more "connected" we become the less connected as people we are?

Video captures brawl in Costco parking lot

Video of a disagreement over a parking spot that led to a brawl outside a Costco this past weekend in Mississauga, Ont., has prompted an investigation by Peel Regional Police.

Joe Carreiro was walking back to his car, arms filled with bulk purchases, when he was stopped, quite literally, in his tracks.

His car was blocked in, and a screaming match over a parking space was escalating. Over the next few minutes he watched — and then started filming — as the conflict seemed to dissipate and then picked up again, eventually coming to blows.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...auga-1.3607965

It's really hard to say if people are becoming more aggressive or is it because there are more types of recording devices about to catch people in acts of aggression. Or you could reverse that and ask if people are less aggressive because they could be filmed. Unfortunately scenes like that probably get played out every day in some form or other and youtube has plenty to watch. I also think there are an element of people that every minor thing is a reason to btich or sue, get their 15 minutes of fame by beaking off about nothing and think everybody on the internet should see it.
    Actually the very clip you showed is going to be on CTV National News just after the ads finish.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

We're not connected in face to face as much anymore and whether it be school, work, parties, clubs, anything people buried in electronic devices and impersonal interaction online which is a poor substitute for human interaction and caring.

Combine this with an erosion in values, mores, morality and supplant it with me first consumerism and life is a race and competition instead of being a more communal experience.

Others have theorized that a lack of real challenges, enemies, hardship has resulted in people unconsciously not knowing the difference. So that anybody driving down a road is a potential enemy on the basis of one short action. Its as if people are hardwired to have some enemies, struggle, aggression, and will find it randomly if it isn't inherently available.

People were commenting on the Ft McMurray fires bringing some brief return of civility here and in communities. That will likely be shortlived. Seems to take tragedy now to have any outpouring of civility.

AT least we haven't ever experienced anything like some of the worst US cities where violence starts to spread like viral contagion during riots, rebellions etc.

But if we keep following the US example, mercenary goals, interests, consumerism, uncaring society then that too will eventually come.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Now the funny reply.

I looked at the picture in the link and thought Vickers was losing his Knickers again.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I think the proliferation of recording devices has just shown more of what's going on.

No possible way that a fight in a Missisauga parking lot was going to be in the Journal in 1956. Maybe if it had a political tone or whatever.

Our perception of these events is rising but I doubt very much the events are, at least per capita.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    I think the proliferation of recording devices has just shown more of what's going on.

No possible way that a fight in a Missisauga parking lot was going to be in the Journal in 1956. Maybe if it had a political tone or whatever.

Our perception of these events is rising but I doubt very much the events are, at least per capita.
    Absolutely agreed with this. First thing I thought today is before online I wouldn't be reading about a boy allowed to get in a Gorilla enclosure in Cincinatti and about this incident in Ontario.

That said road rage does seem to be more common, and more pronounced these days. Antisocial behavior is becoming more common. Social media would have to share in some of that blame as it sets a new mode in interaction.

A cartoon in the Journal suggested a renaming of the internet. "World Wide Junior high"

I think there is a new fashion of rudeness, but not a larger amount. In some ways far less. Just think of a single woman walking past a construction site in 1975 (or earlier.)

Hello!

Sorry for jumping in but actually I'm not replying to this post but as a new comer into the forum, I just want to say hello to you old folks.

Thanks
    http://servicingstopblog.co.uk/

I'd rather C2E than work!

The other day I met a vehicle turning right. I noticed their signal light a ways away. I was turning left into the same roadway. I thought there was a little turning lane with a yield sign for them on that corner so I went ahead and turned. Turns out I was wrong. Now this was not even a close call or anything, I had time. Turns out this was one angry lady. She blasted and blasted her horn behind me. She then followed right on my bumper for a kilometer or so like she was going to ram me. I took the exit onto the Henday and she stormed beside me giving me the finger and hard. Made me think for awhile, scared me a little. I think if she would have had a handgun under the seat I would have been a dead man.

C2E Continued Contributor

^Thank goodness we don't have the same kind of gun problem as the US does

Drumbones post just made me realize too that women have become much more aggressive, especially on the roads. A lot of times it's not just men doing 30 - 40 km/h faster than speedlimit on Hwy 2, I noticed most of the people passing me (I was doing 120) were women. Kind of surprised me. Now, not that this is absolute aggression, I mean they're just speeding but can easily lead to hostilities if you don't move to the right for them (I spent some time in the left lane as I was in fact going faster than 50% of traffic).

I agree with the media effect, absolutely. However there's something else at play here. It's a different dynamic these last 10 years or so and I can't quite put my finger on it. It's almost like we're becoming a very stressed out society and it's showing in public.

I can't imagine anything like this would have happened in the 1950s. 1970s, 80s and on, yes. Recirdong devices are bringing a lot f things to light.

Video: Woman harassed 108 times as she walks around New York - The Washington Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ound-new-york/

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    Drumbones post just made me realize too that women have become much more aggressive, especially on the roads. A lot of times it's not just men doing 30 - 40 km/h faster than speedlimit on Hwy 2, I noticed most of the people passing me (I was doing 120) were women. Kind of surprised me. Now, not that this is absolute aggression, I mean they're just speeding but can easily lead to hostilities if you don't move to the right for them (I spent some time in the left lane as I was in fact going faster than 50% of traffic).

I agree with the media effect, absolutely. However there's something else at play here. It's a different dynamic these last 10 years or so and I can't quite put my finger on it. It's almost like we're becoming a very stressed out society and it's showing in public.
    Recently saw a younger woman in a pickup honking and driving very aggressively in a St Albert downtown parking lot. She was visibly hostile towards a driver in front causing a minor delay. In decades of driving that set a new low for just driving through a parking lot. Maybe nothing new but just me finally being in the wrong place but not the wrong time.
    Last edited by KC; 31-05-2016 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Recently saw a younger woman in a pickup honking and driving very aggressively in a St Albert downtown parking lot. She was visibly hostile towards a driver in front causing a minor delay. In decades of driving that set a new low for just driving through a parking lot. Maybe nothing new but just me finally being in the wrong place but not the wrong time.

Oxymoronski alert.

Quote Originally Posted by MaestroB View Post
    Hello!

Sorry for jumping in but actually I'm not replying to this post but as a new comer into the forum, I just want to say hello to you old folks.

Thanks
    Hello MaestroB, I am replying to your post and not as an 'old folk'. Calling us old is like saying all Brits have bad teeth.

Thanks.

I think being carless possibly has insulated me from some of what you guys feel, but I do remember similar incidents riding around in cars back in the day, too. Not sure if time has made us forget, or if it's just more cars on the roads now.

Have to agree that some women are just as aggressive as men when driving. I've had more than one women overpass me on the right on main residential roads and that's when I was doing the required 50. I've also seen a couple of women school bus drivers being more than assertive while cutting in line. It's not like these women are teenager, some of them are in their 30's and 40s and old enough to know better.

Not wanting to have this misperceived as generalization or then we'll possibly see instances of modern day aggression.. but the two woman in the exchange are notably very aggressive in pursuing the tragi-drama and with both coming off as out of control bullies. Both appear to be resistant to attempts to calm them and want instead to fly off the handle situation regardless.

Also some interesting things of note that suggest how warped bystander recount of details can be. Towards the end of the video you see the smaller man being attended to, patched up, and even a verbal suggestion of pressing charges. When in fact the video reveals the smaller man clearly pursuing the physical aggression, first throwing the woman down and then coming right at the husband who backed away and to his credit wasn't trying to start something but finally delivered some head shots to back the guy off. yet the bystanders are acting like the small man (clear instigator) was the victim.
    This is a message for third party actions which sometimes make the situation worse but hopefully didn't in this instance. I thought the bystanders did a good job from what I could see. Other than misinterpreting some fault.

For the most part the exchange seemed to be between the older mans hostile wife, and the smaller man.

^One of the things the guy who filmed this did say was there was a kerfuffle then it died down a bit then it re-escalated and that is when he started to film it. Maybe the first kerfuffle was instigated by the older couple. Without the full account what we seen may have been the product of something previous. All round not a good scene though.

Another comment. TV, internet, is filled with programs, sites, where reality programming and getting into it with each other is actually the programming. The odd time between surfing that I see any of these shows it seems that theres bonus pts for being catty, verbally aggressive, for put downs, ridicule, and any backstabbing antisocial behavior imaginable. Seems our society for decades has been fixated on a Jerry Springer type programming wave. Really how many hours can kids, *adults* be standing transfixed with such modeling before it impacts behavior in some ways.

What this nature of media tells people is that they should be up in someones face going gansta, calling biatch etc. a non stop fixation with viewing aholes is going to translate into behavior at some point. Are we seeing the result of decades of that nature of programming which has become the new age socialization?

http://healthland.time.com/2011/10/1...es-teen-girls/

If kids are susceptible to "tabula rasa" and this is the writing society is offering then where are we headed?
    Last edited by Replacement; 31-05-2016 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    ^One of the things the guy who filmed this did say was there was a kerfuffle then it died down a bit then it re-escalated and that is when he started to film it. Maybe the first kerfuffle was instigated by the older couple. Without the full account what we seen may have been the product of something previous. All round not a good scene though.
    Yep. For sure. we didn't have the prior on the film and I noted that unfortunately something was lost in the break in filming. However, the Older women, and smaller man were consistently aggressive and exhibiting that the entire time the camera was rolling.
    The small man was stalking around like he thought he was Mike Tyson or something. You could see the older man trying to disengage and trying to get his wife away.

The sad thing that hasn't been mentioned is the kid crying in the car who says "daddy" I believe she is the child of the smaller man watching all this transpire. The sadder thing is the realization that rabid people like this are your parent(s). An apparent bystander (or maybe friend or sister) is consoling the child while daddy is cooling down. Actually daddy seems a child as well.

People have to monitor their own TV watching. There are plenty good people in the world but it seems the bad and the ugly get more press time. Good news usually does not sell as well as sensationalism and violence.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Yep. For sure. we didn't have the prior on the film and I noted that unfortunately something was lost in the break in filming. However, the Older women, and smaller man were consistently aggressive and exhibiting that the entire time the camera was rolling.
    The small man was stalking around like he thought he was Mike Tyson or something. You could see the older man trying to disengage and trying to get his wife away.

The sad thing that hasn't been mentioned is the kid crying in the car who says "daddy" I believe she is the child of the smaller man watching all this transpire. The sadder thing is the realization that rabid people like this are your parent(s). An apparent bystander (or maybe friend or sister) is consoling the child while daddy is cooling down. Actually daddy seems a child as well.
    Well apparently the Peel Police are going to look into it. Thing is this could have all played out without some one film it and the only people who knew about it were the ones actually there. I should imagine at Xmas when parking lots are full this is a common scenario.

People have to monitor their own TV watching. There are plenty good people in the world but it seems the bad and the ugly get more press time. Good news usually does not sell as well as sensationalism and violence.
    Estimates are that kids spend almost as much time watching reality TV or internet and being exposed to these behaviors as their parents spend working.

https://opportunityagenda.org/negati..._teenage_girls

The electronic babysitter is real and pervasive. With tech gadgets now kids are not turning off. They're immersed in catty world any chance they get.

Also the previous link suggested a major difference in values, beliefs, between girls that did, and didn't watch extensive reality programming.

The funny thing is as adults I think we all realized what garbage this programming is, but we somehow accepted it, and that it was going to be there. The irony being there are broadcast standards for all sorts of things, and things that are argubably less troubling, but we allow nonstop bombardment of young kids minds watching mindless reality conflict.

Top_Dawg watched this incident when it got posted on the Toronto Star site yesterday.

His head almost exploded from the shrill screaming voices of these magpies.

Almost worth it for that reason alone to see that one warthog get sent sprawling.

Walmart at its finest.

Very colorful observation Dawg but is it necessary to call the women warthogs and magpies?.

It appears the old guy had a small weapon, that he is trying to stab the smaller guys with. Near the end he appears to clean it and put it in his pocket. Hard to make a self defense claim or a defending your wife claim when you have a weapon in hand.

^^

Well Madame Bovary they are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Top_Dawg watched this incident when it got posted on the Toronto Star site yesterday.

Almost worth it for that reason alone to see that one warthog get sent sprawling.

Walmart at its finest.
    That was some terrible magpie squawking for sure.

It's interesting how bystanders act. There's a women in a blue stripped dress hovering around, she seems to be trying to settle the situation. The guy she is with is just calmly putting his stuff in the back of his vehicle and looking up now and again. She goes to help the guy with the groceries then later the same women has ingrained herself back into the picture and the guy is still acting like nothing is happening. It would be hilarious if he drove off without her.
    Not sure if the elderly guy had something in his hand but it looked like he did. Could have been his Costco Card. Exhibit A, one Costco Card used as weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by JJMorrocco View Post
    It appears the old guy had a small weapon, that he is trying to stab the smaller guys with. Near the end he appears to clean it and put it in his pocket. Hard to make a self defense claim or a defending your wife claim when you have a weapon in hand.
    Strange assessment of the situation. The smaller guy was stalking the larger guy who was just maintaining distance and backing up so as to avoid a physical conflict. Watch the video again. Is anything more evident than the small guy stalking up to the larger guy and wanting to pursue the fight? The small guy had also physically shoved the older guys wife to the ground. The small guy from video we have initiated the physical instances.
    The video also opens with the small guy getting in the bigger guys face, pointing at him, and screaming at him.

Somehow in all that you find the larger guy at fault.

Walmart at its finest.
    Costco. Its a good thing this didn't happen in the garden sale section or the lineups..now that could get heated.

But its anyplace, any mall now. MWTC two weeks ago. I pull into a parking stall, Canadian Tire, carefully, as always, Pick up truck on one side has people in it. Women in driver side and her boyfriend. She is on crack or something losing it because we simply pulled into a stall. She's pointing at us and frothing like a dog with rabies. She wasn't backing up when we pulled in, was just parked, didn't even have it in gear or tail light on. We couldn't make sense of what she was beaking about but rolling down the window it became apparent she was incensed because she didn't know how to drive much and couldn't figure out how to pull out of a parking stall with vehicle parked legally beside here. She had to change seats with her boyfriend who then backed out. They were jawing us the whole time. Because we pulled into a vacant parking spot..

its moments like those where you just know conflict is unavoidable with some cracked up warriors.
    Last edited by Replacement; 31-05-2016 at 11:51 AM.

Strange assessment of the situation. The smaller guy was stalking the larger guy who was just maintaining distance and backing up so as to avoid a physical conflict. Watch the video again. Is anything more evident than the small guy stalking up to the larger guy and wanting to pursue the fight? The small guy had also physically shoved the older guys wife to the ground. The small guy from video we have initiated the physical instances.
    The video also opens with the small guy getting in the bigger guys face, pointing at him, and screaming at him.

You have to watch in slo-mo (under youtube gear setting), but this is what I see:

- Woman wearing red opens the rear passenger door of small guy's car, where small guy's and woman in stripe's child is sitting
    - Woman in stripes goes to stop her, gets in altercation
    - Small guy pushes woman in red down
    - Larger guy tries to stab small guy with his keys

It happens fast in regular speed, but if you slow it down it becomes quite clear. Anyways I think the key escalations are: woman in red going after child and larger guy attacking with keys (weapon)

Very colorful observation Dawg but is it necessary to call the women warthogs and magpies?.
    Says C2E's Queen of Assigning Epithets When She Feels Like It™
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

^^^ Cracked up warriors trying to compensate for something with their choice of vehicle. Nobody who is trying to learn to drive should be behind the wheel of anything other than a small car.

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    Says C2E's Queen of Assigning Epithets When She Feels Like It™
    Yes sire but I am trying to make amends.

Oxymoronski alert.
    but, but, but... I was aiming for the Cleverski award.

Remember we only saw some of it. The guy filming it did not turn his camera on right away. Anywho, the women in the red top seemed to go up to the women in the black and white top and something was going on but there was someone in front of the camera so not easy to see what. Anyway, when the two women were confronting each other that's when the shorter guy pushed the lady in red (no pun intended). It's all a bit of a fustercluck.

Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post

You have to watch in slo-mo (under youtube gear setting), but this is what I see:

- Woman wearing red opens the rear passenger door of small guy's car, where small guy's and woman in stripe's child is sitting
    - Woman in stripes goes to stop her, gets in altercation
    - Small guy pushes woman in red down
    - Larger guy tries to stab small guy with his keys

It happens fast in regular speed, but if you slow it down it becomes quite clear. Anyways I think the key escalations are: woman in red going after child and larger guy attacking with keys (weapon)
    F'ing tragic

Hope for Humanity Officially Dies in Costco Parking Lot Brawl
    Josh Visser, May 30, 2016

Then we have You Walk Away Seriously Lady, who escorts Aeropostale Shirt away. Sidenote: As someone who got involved in a few scraps in his younger days, there is always a You Walk Away Seriously Person. This person still has a lingering hope for humanity and is really just pissing in the wind in these situations. You Walk Away People of the world, you should just walk away seriously and let these idiots fight, there's little you can do to stop them.
    One of the saddest things about life is that the more upset you get, the lower the chances of your getting out a proper zinger. Life is not an Aaron Sorkin teleplay.
    High, very, very high pitched screaming here...

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/hope-...king-lot-brawl
    Last edited by KC; 31-05-2016 at 12:41 PM.

Thanks for the link KC.

Brilliant.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Hahaha indeed. People/society/humanity certainly need a look in the mirror.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Coming from the least empathic person on the forums this is the most hilarious thing I've read on here in years.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think what occurred before the video started was someone was waiting for a car to back out from a parking spot. I'm sure that we've all been burnt a few times over the years that depending on which way they turn as they back out someone else "sneaks" in and takes the spot and it's quite apparent you were waiting.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think what occurred before the video started was someone was waiting for a car to back out from a parking spot. I'm sure that we've all been burnt a few times over the years that depending on which way they turn as they back out someone else "sneaks" in and takes the spot and it's quite apparent you were waiting.
    Yeah, and I've seen it happen where someone quite innocent and oblivious to a waiting vehicle does it. I also once saw a guy in a pickup lean on his horn, yell, and finger a driver - when he (the guy in the pickup) was actually in the wrong. It's hilarious to watch - as if it really matters to their day. Hilarious, that is, until someone screeches and my ears get hurt.

Yeah I do that sometimes, nobody has drawn "keys" on me yet though, maybe I need to think twice next time an opportunity arises? ...

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Yeah I do that sometimes, nobody has drawn "keys" on me yet though, maybe I need to think twice next time an opportunity arises? ...
    No worries. Soon everything will be controlled by smart phones and there's no way in hell that anyone would dare use their smart phone as an offensive weapon.

Yeah, and I've seen it happen where someone quite innocent and oblivious to a waiting vehicle does it.
    This is true as well, big van, SUV or whatever backing out and if the right moment in time the one "sneaking" in has no clue someone else was waiting patiently behind the big vehicle. Just an honest mistake. But some people are in fact douchebags and don't give a rat's arse so it's a judgment call. Most people, myself included, flip the bird and drive away.

I dunno, being out of eyesight of my vehicle while I shop after pissing someone off would probably lead me to park waaay on the other end of the lot.

Just to add, I used to turn both my dash cam and rear cam off when I went shopping but some months ago realized this was stupid. Now I just leave them on for obvious parking lot reasons.
    Last edited by Kitlope; 31-05-2016 at 01:30 PM.

People parking their cars are some of the least rational people on the planet. They'll drive around the lot, or wait for someone to leave for multiples of the time it takes to cross the entire lot on foot to find/get the "best" spot.

I've always parked on the fringes when feasible. Less risk of door dings & having to interact with the other irrational drivers in the lot. Nobody's thinking 100% straight pulling into a lot.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Agreed noodle. When it's really really cold I get it but the other 7 months it's just sad, especially when they're younger and abled bodied.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Coming from the least empathic person on the forums this is the most hilarious thing I've read on here in years.
    Your posts continue to amaze.
    www.decl.org

Sadly, yours are just more of the same tired & often passive-aggressive rhetoric about how everyone who has different needs/wants/priorities/likes is wrong & how much better Edmonton would be if we just all did what you think is best.

PATIOS, CRAFT BEER, OVERPRICED FOOD & RICED OUT CARS FOR EVERYONE!

People parking their cars are some of the least rational people on the planet. They'll drive around the lot, or wait for someone to leave for multiples of the time it takes to cross the entire lot on foot to find/get the "best" spot.

No kidding.

This never ceases to amaze Top_Dawg.

And ever notice how almost invariably the people doing this are the ones most in need of some exercise ?

I've always parked on the fringes when feasible. Less risk of door dings & having to interact with the other irrational drivers in the lot. Nobody's thinking 100% straight pulling into a lot.
    Yeah, that's exactly what Top_Dawg does too.

No kidding.

This never ceases to amaze Top_Dawg.

And ever notice how almost invariably the people doing this are the ones most in need of some exercise ?

Yeah, that's exactly what Top_Dawg does too.
    I prefer to walk farther as well to avoid congestion, cars waiting for spots etc. I find the parking spot less travelled..But then I end up being a pedestrian subject for a greater distance to the random driving habits and aggressions of machete wielding savages behind the wheels.

So you'd prefer to be fully exposed by walking through a parking lot. The rational for parking close to the door maybe that they know everyone else is as bad a driver as themselves. Every foot on foot is a life threatening situation in parking lots. One time I nearly got run over by a cop car circling in a parking lot with the cop looking back over his shoulder.

(I also once got hit twice within about 5 minutes in a parking lot. A lady backed out into the rear side of my car (a Toyota Supra). Then when I was writing down the details off her driver's licence, I could swear that out of the corner of my eye I saw her wave an elderly lady out of her stall. The elderly lady backed out into the opposite front corner of my car. . ). They're just chunks of metal. No big deal.

I never use my horn. Most bad moves aren't on purpose.
    Last edited by KC; 31-05-2016 at 03:01 PM.

Sadly, yours are just more of the same tired & often passive-aggressive rhetoric about how everyone who has different needs/wants/priorities/likes is wrong & how much better Edmonton would be if we just all did what you think is best.

Keep thinking that gundam cat.
    www.decl.org

highlander

Good thing Ian will never go to costco, or with Noodle now driving they could possibly meet there, resulting in a row the like of which youtube has never seen.

I own cats.
    I build plastic models of Japanese robots.
    I have many other hobbies & interests.

Sick burn though.

Not really sure what you're getting at, but then again you're only responding to the sarcastic filler at the end of the message while dodging the main point. Always the cornerstone of a cogent argument.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Good thing Ian will never go to costco, or with Noodle now driving they could possibly meet there, resulting in a row the like of which youtube has never seen.
    Reminds me of this lovely quote from Grant Morrison about his former friend & protégé, Mark Millar:

He still lives in Glasgow, is there a chance of bumping into him?
    There's a very good chance of running into him, and I hope I'm going 100 miles an hour when it happens.
    (I don't go to Costco. No family, no need for family-sized value-packs. Plus German coupes aren't exactly cargo carriers.)

I'm sure part of being a riced-out car is being overly loud isn't it?

highlander

I have a family and a minivan and I still can't think of many places I dislike more than costco.
    It's amazing how chaotic the parking lot can be despite the extra-wide parking stalls.

There are a whole lot of people who should not be allowed to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    I'm sure part of being a riced-out car is being overly loud isn't it?
    Only being loud Downtown is a serious issue. Unrestricted/loud pipes in the SW? Suck it, suburbanites!

So noodle, let me get this straight as I never realized. You drive a sh1tty little riced out car?

www.decl.org

Ahhh ok. Nice car, I was thinking it would be more ricer.

Would people care how ricey a car is if it wasn't louder than 90% of the other cars on the road? I know I wouldn't. It's just that some people have to seek out attention for themselves or something.

Ahhh ok. Nice car, I was thinking it would be more ricer.
    Noodle was trying to use that as an insult towards me because that is his MO. Jealously must be strong with that boy.
    www.decl.org

So noodle, let me get this straight as I never realized. You drive a sh1tty little riced out car?
    No, I grew out of the import boy-racer mindset almost a decade ago & wouldn't be caught dead in anything festooned with terrible "aerodynamics" & a coffee-can muffler that sounds like angry bees. Been there, done the engine swap, have the tshirt. If I feel nostalgic there's always Fast & Furious movies.

I have a 2014 BMW 428xi M-Sport.

I actually haven't gotten a chance to drive my actual car yet (there's a story here), but I took a couple test drives before I pulled the trigger on this one. If I could have found a similar 435xi I would have gone that way but when the 428xi fell in my lap I couldn't resist the deal.

There's an M4 in my building that's sweet, the guy who leases it gets a new ride every 2 years or so (It's his 4th ride in 7 years), this is his latest ride after a 2014 335i. Evidently the F32 has the lowest amount of parts crossover for its respective M at around 30%, iirc.

What does it matter what people drive, it's the manner in which they drive it that counts. A douchebag is a douchebag regardless of his/her transportation means.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I had a couple of these. I love sporty sedans.

"When it entered the US market for the 1986 model year, the 9000 turbo was the fastest production sedan on the market, at 141mph top speed. "

http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/faq/bu9000.html

And I could take them anywhere including Costco and no one would key them. (I figured I was safe from "labels".)

And THE most comfortable seats - to keep you calm in parking lots (as in: never in a rush to park).
    http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/77645097.jpg
    http://www.clubsaabespana.com/images...20aero%202.JPG
    Last edited by KC; 02-06-2016 at 11:26 AM.

Loved those, LOVED. Do you recall the Condorman chases with them? (also sweet 911s)
    www.decl.org

I actually haven't gotten a chance to drive my actual car yet (there's a story here), but I took a couple test drives before I pulled the trigger on this one. If I could have found a similar 435xi I would have gone that way but when the 428xi fell in my lap I couldn't resist the deal.

There's an M4 in my building that's sweet, the guy who leases it gets a new ride every 2 years or so (It's his 4th ride in 7 years), this is his latest ride after a 2014 335i. Evidently the F32 has the lowest amount of parts crossover for its respective M at around 30%, iirc.
    Trying to be civil here...

Out of sincere curiosity, what 'drove' you to the 4 series?
    www.decl.org

Personal preferences.

Minivans suck. Driving them sucks. And now we know they cause aggressive parking behaviour.

Sports Hatchbacks on the other hand... note what they haul out of it at the end of the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOqM8TDok-Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl5sjgDQw5A

Contains nudity:

Saab commercial:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIJQESY7oEg

Personal preferences.
    Is the 4 not just the old 3 with doors?
    www.decl.org

Here you go.

BMW has rejiggered their numbering schemes. As it stands now, odd numbered first digits are sedans, while even numbered are coupes & the coupe-like "grand coupe" sedans. A generation back the model number for my car would have been a 328xi coupe. The "old" F30 3-series-sedan that my car is a branch off from is from 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I have a family and a minivan and I still can't think of many places I dislike more than costco.
    It's amazing how chaotic the parking lot can be despite the extra-wide parking stalls.

There are a whole lot of people who should not be allowed to drive.
    Further to your distain for Costco parking lots,I'd like to nominate Superstore as well. Talk about having your head on a swivel

I miss owning one of these:

Excellent visibility in all directions and small enough to easily sneak into parking spots next to the losers who couldn't stay between the lines. Loved the sound of the 3 cylinder engine at 4000 rpm too.

These are fun in parking lots too:

Yeah loser who can't stay between the lines, my doors are plastic, you can't dent them. I'm parking in that spot next to you, so there.
    Terrible turning radius though.

I had one of these. A 1975 Corolla. I was probably among the 1-percenters in terms of anyone owning Toyotas in Edmonton at the time. 1100cc, manual choke, rubber floors, radio and a heater.

Could Park between the guys with flashy cars that tried to take up two stalls - just to irritate them.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/images/t...edan-1-prv.jpg

I was heading East on Baseline Rd in Sherwood Park during major late afternoon traffic. As I was approaching the Sherwood Drive intersection (light was green for me) I could hear and see a firetruck entering the intersection heading South. I came to a stop..and this SUV behind me starts wailing on the horn over and over again. They then gun it and go around me, I look and it's a woman with little ones in the back seat. She's shaking her fist at me as she's bolting out into the intersection. The firetruck blasts his horn at her and she comes to a stop. What a complete ***** she was.

Costco is a mad house. Especially 91st location. I have to do work related business there everyday of the week so I've seen it all...the fights over parking to someone stealing another person's cart. What really bugs me is how many people push their cart into my car mirrors. I've been sitting there doing my reports and they bash right into it, look at me and just keep walking. Pretty much everyday my mirror is bent when I come out of the store as well.

Quote Originally Posted by buckybear View Post
    I was heading East on Baseline Rd in Sherwood Park during major late afternoon traffic. As I was approaching the Sherwood Drive intersection (light was green for me) I could hear and see a firetruck entering the intersection heading South. I came to a stop..and this SUV behind me starts wailing on the horn over and over again. They then gun it and go around me, I look and it's a woman with little ones in the back seat. She's shaking her fist at me as she's bolting out into the intersection. The firetruck blasts his horn at her and she comes to a stop. What a complete ***** she was.

Costco is a mad house. Especially 91st location. I have to do work related business there everyday of the week so I've seen it all...the fights over parking to someone stealing another person's cart. What really bugs me is how many people push their cart into my car mirrors. I've been sitting there doing my reports and they bash right into it, look at me and just keep walking. Pretty much everyday my mirror is bent when I come out of the store as well.
    Someday I want to get a dashcam.

Quote Originally Posted by buckybear View Post

I have a membership and barely even use it. Mainly because I dread the super busy location at 91st and theres no other nearby. Its among the the topten most busy Costcos in North America. Would be nice if they opened another one on the southside to alleviate the congestion. This Costco is so busy it actually creates traffic jams. Just ridiculously busy location. Doesn't help that 23AVE going due east has had sewer mains construction for running on several years now. That place drives everybody batty. I could save on gas there and don't even bother. Not worth the hassle. Probably spend some coin just being in a lineup there to get gas.

As to the impatient woman sounds like she was distracted, maybe by kids, and didn't figure out there was an a firetruck coming. People can be dense that way not realizing and wondering why you are stopped. Sounds like a driver that should pull over and take a breather in anycase. Angry and driving, not a good combination.

Welcome to the board.
    Last edited by Replacement; 04-06-2016 at 11:55 AM.

Too bad, Costco used to be a "happy place" to go. You were going to save a ton of money and come away l happy, with a cartload of impulse purchases. What is happening to society.

Maybe Walmart and Superstore used to be like that too, but now they are places I avoid if at all possible. Savings be damned, you feel abused shopping there.

Too bad, Costco used to be a "happy place" to go. You were going to save a ton of money and come away l happy, with a cartload of impulse purchases. What is happening to society.

Maybe Walmart and Superstore used to be like that too, but now they are places I avoid if at all possible. Savings be damned, you feel abused shopping there.
    Costco is now a place where strategic project placing would have Extra strength Tylenol at checkouts and as you enter the store.. after searching for a shopping cart, dodging cars and not getting run over on the way into the building.

The whole Costco parking layout is fail which makes people, no matter where they park, have to navigate main throughway and intersection in front of store entrance where people drive, with many of those people aggressively lobbying for a spot blocking everybody else so that they can pick up their spouse and the groceries or whatever, like pull up right to the door as if its a loading dock which so many people do at Costco. Meaning theres more vehicles lobbying for bumper space there than any other area of the parking lot. At the exact point where people are entering/exiting the store. These parking lot/entry configurations were never designed for this volume of use and chaos. Add winter city to that mix and its amazing there hasn't been publicized accidents.

Just like every grocery store in the city too. ...and Walmarts.

At least Costco has/had the wide parking stalls so if you have a new minimally dented vehicle you may go there before you go to say, Walmart. (And their parking lots are among the cleanest and best maintained).
    Last edited by KC; 06-06-2016 at 08:16 AM.

C2E SME

Personal preferences.
    All they're doing is going to a similar "series" layout to Audi. With BMW the odd numbered ones are 4 doors, while with Audi it's the even numbered series that are 4 doors. Vice versa for 2 doors. There's exceptions for both manufacturers, of course.

I was waiting for a spot at the U of A hospital a few years ago, and a dude nabbed it before I could turn into it (it was a T and I was on the top right, he came from the bottom). I pulled up, told the guy that I was waiting for the spot and he stole it from me. He apologized, got into his truck and backed out of the spot to give it to me. I wasn't expecting that at all, but my faith in humanity was restored, at least for that day.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

100% rice-free.

So in this case, he'd be a Deutsche-bag..

What's the difference between a BMW & a porcupine?

A porcupine has its pricks on the outside!

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    So in this case, he'd be a Deutsche-bag..
    Also acceptable: Reich-racer.

Think you're looking for Reich-Rocket there..

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    Think you're looking for Reich-Rocket there..
    I don't see the resemblance...

Bloated, underwhelming, pretentious, bland, forgettable, poor record and looks like a cavalier.

It all makes sense now.
    Last edited by IanO; 06-06-2016 at 06:41 PM.
    www.decl.org

And most likely an automatic with auto parking...like a car only not.

Also may have those near useless fair weather paddle shifters. Lose the clutch and you lose half your snow and ice driving advantage.

BMWs still out rank most other cars though for driving fun. However, I rented a 3 series diesel a coulee years ago and drove it around the country roads of Ireland. Not at all impressed.
    Last edited by KC; 06-06-2016 at 08:22 PM.

^ Nothing has beaten my Metro for fun to drive factor, especially in BC. Makes you feel like an F1 driver without exceeding the speed limit. Unfortunately that got me into trouble when I took a reverse-banked corner a little too fast just after a rainshower.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    I was waiting for a spot at the U of A hospital a few years ago, and a dude nabbed it before I could turn into it (it was a T and I was on the top right, he came from the bottom). I pulled up, told the guy that I was waiting for the spot and he stole it from me. He apologized, got into his truck and backed out of the spot to give it to me. I wasn't expecting that at all, but my faith in humanity was restored, at least for that day.
    Equally annoying are the people who stop and wait when they see someone arrive at their vehicle with a cartfull of stuff, making it impossible for everyone behind them to continue looking for a spot until the stuff has been put away, the kids bucked in and the cart returned. If you don't see vehicle movement or at least reverse lights, keep driving.
    Last edited by Titanium48; 06-06-2016 at 09:07 PM.

^ I agree with Titanium here..

When I worked in Yellowknife, the most fun to be had out in the snow was that little 3 cylinder Metro/Firefly.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
    ^ Nothing has beaten my Metro for fun to drive
    Gotta agree...visceral driving fun.

For a number of years I specialized in Geo/Suzuki development for racing and aircraft use. The byproduct is the car my oldest drives.

Geo Metro convertible, 3 cylinder 5 speed.

The 1.0 is balanced, blueprinted, rods polished and shot peened, crank radiused and knife edged, over bored w boosted compression and the head is port matched, polished, swirled as are the valve bowls and manifolds.

Backed up with a custom exhaust and modified injection system the little 3 will hit 7500 in 1st/2nd/3rd and still gets 58 mpg on the highway while beating the emissions sniff.

Bone stock body sits on a custom dropped suspension (bout 2" so it can live on Edmonton streets) with custom wheels and tires.

Little beast looks, sounds and acts innocent...till you don't want it to be.

As much fun as a bone stone Geo/Suzuki is this one is a total gas.

All that fun and performance as well as cheap to run and extremely efficent.

Sometime I'll build one for myself with the 4 cyl twin cam...when I get the other projects finished.

T

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast