Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modern day aggression

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
    ^ Nothing has beaten my Metro for fun to drive factor, especially in BC. Makes you feel like an F1 driver without exceeding the speed limit. Unfortunately that got me into trouble when I took a reverse-banked corner a little too fast just after a rainshower.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think what occurred before the video started was someone was waiting for a car to back out from a parking spot. I'm sure that we've all been burnt a few times over the years that depending on which way they turn as they back out someone else "sneaks" in and takes the spot and it's quite apparent you were waiting.
    I was waiting for a spot at the U of A hospital a few years ago, and a dude nabbed it before I could turn into it (it was a T and I was on the top right, he came from the bottom). I pulled up, told the guy that I was waiting for the spot and he stole it from me. He apologized, got into his truck and backed out of the spot to give it to me. I wasn't expecting that at all, but my faith in humanity was restored, at least for that day.
    Equally annoying are the people who stop and wait when they see someone arrive at their vehicle with a cartfull of stuff, making it impossible for everyone behind them to continue looking for a spot until the stuff has been put away, the kids bucked in and the cart returned. If you don't see vehicle movement or at least reverse lights, keep driving.
    Well then you're supposed to jump out of your car, swear and berate the driver in front of you. This way you get to extend the wait to two or three extra minutes compared to the one minute wait otherwise.

Anyone that's ever learned anything from their kids, has learned that it's always better to go into a tantrum, protest vociferously and jump up and down for seemingly endless stretches of time rather than spending the two secs just giving in. Same principle here.

Metros sound like the old Datsun 510s.

I wonder if this lady realized yet that all she got in the end was a glorified "station wagon" (now called a "crossover" SUV). Someday it will hit home as she drives through a Costco parking lot and the emotions well up inside her. Then somebody will grab 'her parking spot' and watch out!

Why the Idea of Buying a Minivan Depresses Me

The thought of driving a minivan depressed the hell out of me. I don’t consider myself someone who relies on cars to define myself (see: Ford Focus) but was I really at the minivan part of life? I was only 31! Two years before, I was in my 20s with no children. It was happening so fast.

I did some soul-searching to determine why I was rejecting this outward symbol of a stage of life that I love. I decided that my minivan-induced depression was tied into having so many major life changes happening all in one summer. I was a couple of months away from having our second baby. We had just sold our Washington, D.C., condo and moved into a house in the suburbs because we needed the space. Buying a minivan would have put me over the edge. It feels very different to be a young couple with one baby living in the city and being a family of four hunkered down in the suburbs.

http://www.momtastic.com/parenting/4...ice-was-clear/

Last edited by KC; 07-06-2016 at 07:54 AM.

highlander

I love my minivan. There's something slightly rebellious about actually embracing the un-cool.

And I agree with everyone above - the most fun driving isn't in an actual high-powered sports car, it's in an underpowered small car with a manual that you have to drive right to get any performance out of. I miss my 98hp compact sedan.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I love my minivan. There's something slightly rebellious about actually embracing the un-cool.

And I agree with everyone above - the most fun driving isn't in an actual high-powered sports car, it's in an underpowered small car with a manual that you have to drive right to get any performance out of. I miss my 98hp compact sedan.
    I wouldn't go that far...

Different vehicles for different uses...

Our family vehicle is a 2WD cross over, wife loves it and it's ok to drive. Very good on the highway and for picking up groceries and hauling the clan around town.

My summer commuter is a 40 year old very small sports car that I have finally finished sorting out and mildly modifying. Tiny, basic (only 2 seats) under 4 ft tall and 2000lbs with 110 hp. Very quick, nimble and fun while getting 30+ mpg in town.

Then there is my 30+ year old 1/2 ton. Good shape, 6 cylinder hauler that only gets used for yard and project work in the summer but doubles as my winter commuter and because of the little 6 gets good winter mileage and is warm and reliable.

Finally my current project that is a few weeks from finished...mid 80s muscle car that will have extensive suspension work to boost it's stock (surprisingly impressive) handling to touring car level. Full load inc air and T Bar. Engine is in progress but when done will have in the area of 400ish hp/500 ft lb of torque in a 3500lb car for extremely quick performance, but with an overdrive system that will give it high 20s to low 30s on the highway while being able to accelerate with the new generation of muscle toys and handle the twists and turns with the Euro cars. It will be Dad's toy and won't get driven much.

Beauty is I have a combination of what work when I need it, all in good to exceptional condition and because the overwhelming majority of the work has been done in my single car garage I've got less in our multiple vehicles than most have in a new sub compact!

All paid for and because 2 are now "classics" insurance is cheap.

Now if I can just find the right airplane to add to the fleet. lol

My 2 bits

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Also may have those near useless fair weather paddle shifters. Lose the clutch and you lose half your snow and ice driving advantage.

BMWs still out rank most other cars though for driving fun. However, I rented a 3 series diesel a coulee years ago and drove it around the country roads of Ireland. Not at all impressed.
    I have the paddles, but no clutch. North American 428xi are all 8-speed automatics. Still managed a 5.85s 0-100km/h run using Launch Control on Sunday (first time I've ever used it).
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

highlander

^^ I didn't say best car. Just the most fun. and by fun, I mean as a car to drive, not to display or to cruise whyte ave, or to race.

Your muscle car will be fun, in it's place, but there will be fewer places where you can actually have fun driving. It needs wide open roads.

Stick shift econo-boxes can have that fun anywhere but a traffic jam.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Also may have those near useless fair weather paddle shifters. Lose the clutch and you lose half your snow and ice driving advantage.

BMWs still out rank most other cars though for driving fun. However, I rented a 3 series diesel a coulee years ago and drove it around the country roads of Ireland. Not at all impressed.
    I have the paddles, but no clutch. North American 428xi are all 8-speed automatics. Still managed a 5.85s 0-100km/h run using Launch Control on Sunday (first time I've ever used it).
    I always loved the clutch because it helped in regular winter driving in the city and on backcountry winter roads. Never took a car to the track, though that sounds fun.

The only acceleration I cared about was for passing and getting up to speed when turning onto a highway (the later only because I had 80s something Malibu rental and pulled out onto the highway at Banff and nearly got run over by a semi because it took so, so, sooo long to just get up to 100kph. Totally meaningless in a Costco parking lot, except for getaway purposes.

Passing speed is just one more reason why I miss ugly old Saab:

The Saab 9000 is an executive car that was produced by the Swedish ...

Aeros were equipped with ...eight-way Recaro-designed heated sports seats, a sport suspension, and 16-inch Super Aero wheels.[7] The Aero's in-gear acceleration was strongly emphasised; the Aero was capable of accelerating from 80 to 121 km/h (50 to 75 mph) faster than a Porsche Carrera 4 or a Ferrari Testarossa.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_9000
    Last edited by KC; 07-06-2016 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    ^^ I didn't say best car. Just the most fun. and by fun, I mean as a car to drive, not to display or to cruise whyte ave, or to race.

Your muscle car will be fun, in it's place, but there will be fewer places where you can actually have fun driving. It needs wide open roads.

Stick shift econo-boxes can have that fun anywhere but a traffic jam.
    We are not disagreeing...and I said different cars for different uses

Lightweight low power cars are one kind of fun...add 50% more power like I did with my oldest's metro and its a whole new fun.

All of my cars/trucks are drivers...I am won't own show queen, some guys are into it...but I want to drive them.

I've driven extremely high powered/high handling cars in traffic...just as much fun, but different. Makes you feel like a shark in a minnow tank. But I find they feel best on winding fairly tight secondary highways making you work and use your skills...even at the speed limit you can push the corners hard if they are tight.

As for pure clean fun...I'd to have my "70" Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV back. It was ultra light, small as a metro with the power of a small V-8, but was an all alloy 4. Total gas almost everywhere and at all speeds. Made you work to get it though.

IMO

T

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Calgary mom beaten with hockey stick in bizarre road rage attack

Two men smashed the windows of a*minivan with a hockey stick, then pulled the female driver out of the vehicle and beat her in front of her child in a bizarre road rage incident, Calgary police say.

The attack occurred on Wednesday after 5 p.m. near the Mount Pleasant Sportsplex.

"It's quite rare where when we see road rage manifest itself into something physical," said Insp. Darren Leggatt. "In my 27 year of policing, this is probably one of the more cowardice acts I've seen relative to a road rage incident."It's a deplorable, random act of violence for - at the end of the day a very petty reason."

The 28-year-old mother, Karalie Red Old Man, told police a BMW had tried to pass her vehicle as she travelled on 4th Street N.W. south toward the Mount Pleasant neighbourhood. At one point, the BMW rear-ended her Dodge Caravan minivan and continued to aggressively tailgate her. The BMW followed her to the arena, where her vehicle was boxed in. After demanding she come out of her car to "fight them," she said the men broke windows on the minivan and assaulted her, at times using a hockey stick as a weapon. She was taken to hospital in an ambulance with injuries to her face, jaw, lips and teeth. Red Old Man had a child in her minivan at the time, who witnessed the beating.

Police describe the two attackers as being in their early 20s, with dark brown or black hair and medium builds. One was wearing light grey or white clothing on his upper body. They are also looking for a silver, two-door BMW car with an Alberta licence plate. The car would likely have extensive damage to the front passenger side and possibly the front bumper, police said.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...rage-1.3888089
    Last edited by Kitlope; 08-12-2016 at 09:11 PM.

^Pretty deplorable. I'm thinking that that BMW may be stolen as who would ram a high end vehicle into another vehicle without thinking twice about doing it. Even a cheaper model vehicle a person would have to be a special kind of stupid to do that.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    ^Pretty deplorable. I'm thinking that that BMW may be stolen as who would ram a high end vehicle into another vehicle without thinking twice about doing it. Even a cheaper model vehicle a person would have to be a special kind of stupid to do that.
    Maybe she slowed them down and screwed up their drug deal.

Car photos here:
    Calgary woman beaten with hockey stick in vicious road rage attack by two men
    http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...ad-rage-attack
    Last edited by KC; 09-12-2016 at 01:32 AM.

There maybe more to this story according to Reddit and the other news links... and it's looking like she was as much of an aggressor as the two men.

There maybe more to this story according to Reddit and the other news links... and it's looking like she was as much of an aggressor as the two men.
    ...because she tried to defend herself from her minivan with a hockey stick?

Clearly we men can suffer very emotional breakdowns:

Calgary mother recounts road rage incident that escalated into arena parking lot assault

Red Old Man says she was travelling southbound on 4 Street NW, near the 40 Avenue NW intersection, in her Dodge Caravan at around 5:20 p.m. when she changed lanes, unaware of a speeding vehicle in her blind spot.

“When I did my shoulder check and my mirror check, it looked safe to do so, so I proceeded to drive into the left lane,” recalled Red Old Man. “When I was halfway between both lanes, I saw a silver vehicle speeding really fast towards me and trying to pass but I was already in the lane.”

“They got mad and he started beeping his horn at me because he couldn’t pass.”

Red Old Man says the driver followed close to her rear bumper for a short distance before the car entered the right lane. “He was driving right beside me trying to get into the left lane and trying to push me into oncoming traffic.”

The driver of the car returned to the left lane behind Red Old Man’s minivan when the vehicles entered the playground zone near St. Joseph Elementary Junior High School. Red Old Man says she had slowed her minivan below the posted speed limit when she encountered a stopped vehicle waiting to make a left hand turn.

“I ended up having to stop behind them and I kind of stopped quick and that’s when he rear-ended me.”

The minivan driver continued ...

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgary-mo...ault-1.3195518
    Last edited by KC; 09-12-2016 at 05:20 PM.

I've found that people act aggressive and get mouthy and try to egg people on, up to the point where they're confronted face-to-face, then the tough guy smart-*** act goes away. I did something that I wasn't too proud of last winter, but it was the last straw at the time. I was driving through a parking lot along the front of a store, it was very icy so I wasn't going that fast. These two young guys (20's or 30's) who dress like redneck cabella shopping gangsters, or whatever that style is, were walking across the road about 30 feet in front of me and crossed well before I got there. Then at the last minute, one of them quickly stepped off the sidewalk like he was going to cross back over again right in front of me, and they were facing me so they saw me coming. I hit the brakes and swerved almost hitting a divider median with a tree, and I was in a brand new vehicle.

My window was cracked open a bit and I heard them crack up laughing. I put my truck in park, opened the door and yelled "You think that's funny?" And he yelled back "F**k you ***hole!" and laughed. I got out, walked up to him and said again "You think that's funny??" and shoved him, he fell to the ground on his back. Then he and his buddy changed their tune and were like "What's your problem man? It was just a joke man etc...." Guess they didn't realize that not only was I not gonna take it, but I'm also 6'3" and easily had 80lbs on both of the little skinny pricks. I said "I don't think it's funny that I almost crashed my truck because you're a d**k, and if you try that again, I'll run you over. I also got you on my dashcam." The guy looked like he was gonna cry and never bothered to try to get up, the other guy was telling me to leave him alone. I got back in my truck and left.

I got what he did on my dashcam but still don't need to go through the trouble of dealing with insurance, paying deductibles, truck being in the shop etc just because some punk thinks he can do what he wants. Like I said at the beginning, I'm not proud of what I did, but it was a bad bad day and the icy roads combined with people driving like idiots all day made this the last straw. If I had to do it all over again, honestly, I would probably do the same. I bet he won't pull something like that again, so I like to think that I've helped out others that he WOULD have done that to in the future until I confronted him.

Like I said, people are aggressive and mouthy, until you confront them. I think some of these are internet tough guys who try to do the same in public...
    Last edited by alkeli; 10-12-2016 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Spelling, typos

Redneck rednecks are the worst rednecks.

Quote Originally Posted by alkeli View Post
    I've found that people act aggressive and get mouthy and try to egg people on, up to the point where they're confronted face-to-face, then the tough guy smart-*** act goes away. I did something that I wasn't too proud of last winter, but it was the last straw at the time. I was driving through a parking lot along the front of a store, it was very icy so I wasn't going that fast. These two young guys (20's or 30's) who dress like redneck cabella shopping gangsters, or whatever that style is, were walking across the road about 30 feet in front of me and crossed well before I got there. Then at the last minute, one of them quickly stepped off the sidewalk like he was going to cross back over again right in front of me, and they were facing me so they saw me coming. I hit the brakes and swerved almost hitting a divider median with a tree, and I was in a brand new vehicle.

My window was cracked open a bit and I heard them crack up laughing. I put my truck in park, opened the door and yelled "You think that's funny?" And he yelled back "F**k you ***hole!" and laughed. I got out, walked up to him and said again "You think that's funny??" and shoved him, he fell to the ground on his back. Then he and his buddy changed their tune and were like "What's your problem man? It was just a joke man etc...." Guess they didn't realize that not only was I not gonna take it, but I'm also 6'3" and easily had 80lbs on both of the little skinny pricks. I said "I don't think it's funny that I almost crashed my truck because you're a d**k, and if you try that again, I'll run you over. I also got you on my dashcam." The guy looked like he was gonna cry and never bothered to try to get up, the other guy was telling me to leave him alone. I got back in my truck and left.

I got what he did on my dashcam but still don't need to go through the trouble of dealing with insurance, paying deductibles, truck being in the shop etc just because some punk thinks he can do what he wants. Like I said at the beginning, I'm not proud of what I did, but it was a bad bad day and the icy roads combined with people driving like idiots all day made this the last straw. If I had to do it all over again, honestly, I would probably do the same. I bet he won't pull something like that again, so I like to think that I've helped out others that he WOULD have done that to in the future until I confronted him.

Like I said, people are aggressive and mouthy, until you confront them. I think some of these are internet tough guys who try to do the same in public...
    If they thought that was a joke then they have a weird sense of humour. I consider what you did a public service. They know doubt would do it again and someone in a vehicle will skid on ice and do damage or hurt someone. Usually the dufusses that do this are teenage male school kids or the NAIT brigade. They don't look left or right they just step off the curb at the last minute and anyone driving by has to slam on their brakes to avoid hitting them. Like I say, it's predominately guys of a certain age who do this. One has to shake ones head as these guys are the brains? of the future.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

well, I for one applaud you Alkeli. Too many people are complete arseholes and sometimes these little little life lessons are what's needed to set them straight, especially for the special snowflake generation. I usually know within 10 blocks of driving away from my place what kind of idiots will be about, the bad days I make it quick and return home.

If they thought that was a joke then they have a weird sense of humour. I consider what you did a public service. They know doubt would do it again and someone in a vehicle will skid on ice and do damage or hurt someone. Usually the dufusses that do this are teenage male school kids or the NAIT brigade. They don't look left or right they just step off the curb at the last minute and anyone driving by has to slam on their brakes to avoid hitting them. Like I say, it's predominately guys of a certain age who do this. One has to shake ones head as these guys are the brains? of the future.
    well, I for one applaud you Alkeli. Too many people are complete arseholes and sometimes these little little life lessons are what's needed to set them straight, especially for the special snowflake generation. I usually know within 10 blocks of driving away from my place what kind of idiots will be about, the bad days I make it quick and return home.
    Thanks guys. These guys weren't the ones that don't look to see if traffic was coming. They clearly saw me coming, they were looking right at me, and did this on purpose. That's why I blew my lid. The ones who don't look left or right also tick me off though.

I'd rather C2E than work!

alkeli, that reminds me of the time some a**hole decided he'd run a red light in the middle of nowhere and almost ran me over. I had just left kung fu, and when I saw they turned in half a block away, I followed them into the video store (haha, remember those?!) they went into. I walked up to the guy, reemed him out in front of everyone (I was towering over him), took down his plate and called an officer I knew at the police station I was volunteering at. He received a call at 8am the next morning from the officer, and he said "Oh man, I thought that guy was going to rip my head off! I just did it because I thought it was funny... I realize it wasn't funny at all." I remember walking out of the store wishing I had punched him into one of the racks of movies.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Figure this might be a suitable thread for this short youtube video. I spend many hours on the Roadcam subreddit watching peoples ****** driving... and I seriously get a kick out of this guy because he's oblivious to the fact he was cutting through the empty parking lot and the lady in the van had 100% right of way. Just makes me laugh... the Jersey accent comes across as all Pacino like. Priceless. And what a douche.

NSFW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nO1VbbFVZ4

Man breaks woman's arms with crowbar in vicious road-rage attack

A 34-year-old woman had both arms broken with a crowbar Tuesday morning in what police say was a vicious road-rage incident.

The woman was driving north on 87th Street in the King Edward Park neighbourhood in south Edmonton at around 6:30 a.m.

She was trying to turn onto 77th Avenue when she approached a silver Chevrolet Aveo stopped on the road, police say.

The woman honked her horn then passed the stopped car.

The car followed the woman to a nearby home, where she got out of her vehicle to go inside.

The man ran up to the woman and smashed her arms with a crowbar. She was taken to hospital, where she underwent surgery for two broken arms.

Her attacker is described as Caucasian, about 30 years old, six foot one, medium build, with brown hair and blue eyes. He was wearing a grey toque, blue jeans, and a dark jacket.

Police say they hope the public will help identify the man shown in dash-camera images.

Investigators also want to speak with two witnesses who were walking across the street from where the attack happened, a female with a long white coat and a male walking two dark-coloured dogs.

The man's car is described as a mid-2000s, silver, four-door Chevrolet Aveo, with a seven-digit Alberta licence plate that starts with the letter "B."

The car has a small fin or spoiler on the rear hatch and steel winter-wheel rims.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...tack-1.4014435

I can't say it enough, a dash cam is a absolute must these days. Not only for the fraudulent liars and to prove who had right of way, but for your safety (or conviction, however you want to put it) from road ragers.

Woman's arms broken with crowbar in road rage attack

A woman has two broken arms after a road rage attack with a crowbar in south Edmonton early Tuesday morning.
    Police are searching for a man and a silver Chevrolet Aveo. They believe the vehicle, shown in images taken from a dashboard camera, was involved in what they describe as a “vicious” beating.
    Southwest division police officers were called to the area of 76 Avenue and 87 Street NW around 6:30 a.m. Tuesday after a 34-year-old woman said she was attacked by a man with a crowbar.
    It started when she was driving north on 87 Street near a Chevrolet Aveo that was stopped in the eastbound lane.

The woman honked her horn as she turned onto 77 Avenue and passed the vehicle before driving to a nearby residence.

When she got out of her vehicle, a man ran up to her and hit her on both arms with the crowbar, police said.
    Paramedics took her to hospital where she had surgery for two broken arms.
    Police are searching for a 30-year-old white man, who is six-foot-one, medium build with brown hair and blue eyes. They say he was wearing a grey toque, blue jeans and a dark jacket.
    He was driving a mid-2000s silver four-door Chevrolet Aveo with a seven-digit Alberta licence plate that starts with the letter B. It also has a small fin or spoiler on the rear hatch and steel rims on the tires, police said.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/crim...ad-rage-attack

Article does not really say the reason for the road rage except she honked her horn for some reason.
    Anyway, this guy must be one strung out pr*ck to do that kind of damage. I'm sure the cops will get him pretty fast though once they start looking into their data base. He looks spooked by the truck behind him, seems to be just about turned around looking back from the drivers seat.

The most I could pull out is a snow brush. Who the hell carries a crowbar around with them? I have tons of tools including multiple crowbars, prybars, etc and if I flipped out I'd have to first drive home to get them so unless the guy was a labourer, it sounds like he has some severe problems that he's already fully aware of.

As for honking. I never honk. Though I've always wanted to find a friendly sounding vehicle horn for more friendly sounding honks. (I tend to despise those that lay on their horn over any little thing.)
    Last edited by KC; 07-03-2017 at 07:54 PM.

A crowbar sounds too old-timey to be "modern."
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

May have been a tire iron... but whatever. Does that work for you Spudly? Just brutal. When I started driving in the early 90's I don't recall this kind of aggression as common as it is today. Hence the thread title.

KC, I honk. Oh.. do I honk. Especially after getting my car almost written off on Saturday because some dummy just needed to save 3 seconds of time.

May have been a tire iron... but whatever. Does that work for you Spudly? Just brutal. When I started driving in the early 90's I don't recall this kind of aggression as common as it is today. Hence the thread title.

KC, I honk. Oh.. do I honk. Especially after getting my car almost written off on Saturday because some dummy just needed to save 3 seconds of time.
    Drugs are worse today. I can't imagine the perpetrator in this instance was completely sober, or of a sober mind. I would virtually guarantee its some male hopelessly ****** up on something. Not excusing him on that basis. The guy should spend the rest of his life in jail where free society is safe from his aggression.

I can't fathom the action that this person did and reconcile it with a sane mind. I just can't, or don't want to.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Interesting that a dash cam was available to catch some images. I've thought about buying one but can't justify the cost. It would likely just be a novelty- but cameras can sure pay off at times.
    Last edited by KC; 08-03-2017 at 09:51 AM.

As for honking. I never honk. Though I've always wanted to find a friendly sounding vehicle horn for more friendly sounding honks. (I tend to despise those that lay on their horn over any little thing.)

Top_Dawg would love to have a dixie horn like the General Lee on Dukes of Hazard.

I always find it funny when people claim today's violence is worse. I call BS. It's always been bad, sometimes it was more hidden, but we humans fought. Go have a look at clockwork orange, it's as brutal as anything today, and that was typical 1970s - look at other movies from the time, the Dirty Harry movies, Bronson movies, etc. NYC wasn't a hip stylish place to get ahead like today, it was a violent cespit of constant muggings and sexual assualts, and that was typical US downtowns (it helped drove the white flight with help of developers selling a safe surburban oasis).

There were always scuffles in car parks, this is nothing new, the only change is everyone has a video recorder (cell phone). From 1950, motomania

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mZAZ_xu0DCg
    Last edited by moahunter; 08-03-2017 at 09:07 AM.

^that never happened when you were growing up? I remember kids pulling knifes in playgrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Interesting that such articles now state that such videos were viewed "X" times. I'm not sure how that is pertinent but I supposedly it's interesting trivia. (Sort of like an old paper newspaper reporting the next day how many papers they sold related to stories in that day's news.)

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^that never happened when you were growing up? I remember kids pulling knifes in playgrounds.
    I grew up in Edmonton and boys, but never girls would physically scrap and get into very brief fist fights though. Never any knives. I didn't encounter any blood-spilling fights until my post-secondary years and that was in places like outside RATT or in other bars at at night.

A former owner of The Gas Pump used to regale Top_Dawg with stories of what happened in the women's washroom the previous Friday and Saturday nights.

Security would often have to run in there and break up fights between some smelly warthogs.

For a while it seemed like every week some ho-nasty would peel the lid off a toilet tank and start beating another swamp donkey with it.

They eventually had to secure the lids in place with steel strapping.

Classic.
    Last edited by Top_Dawg; 08-03-2017 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Yeah and the ESB spokesman trots out the regular prepared statement and no doubt forgot about it 2 seconds after he said it. Nothing will change once the reporter took off.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg
    They eventually had to secure the lids in place with steel strapping.

Ah yes, secured and sandpapered toilet tank lids. The sign of a truly classy establishment. Wouldn't want any of the prestigious clientele beating each other with the lids, or doing lines off them. Probably in reverse order.

I grew up in Edmonton and boys, but never girls would physically scrap and get into very brief fist fights though. Never any knives. I didn't encounter any blood-spilling fights until my post-secondary years and that was in places like outside RATT or in other bars at at night.
    Grew up in poor suburban neighborhood in New Zealand - 1980's for high school. A significant portion of my year were already gang affiliates, out of about 200 only about 6 of us went on to university. When I watch American movies from time, looks much the same, but they had guns as well. Didn't know if was different in Edmonton, maybe the small town thing, albeit my city was hardly large. And yeah, I saw girls fighting all the time, I think its a lie that girls / women are less violent, if anything, I think more emotional and more so. They just do less damage, and have more support systems / more likely to be believed, so don't end up in prison as much.
    Last edited by moahunter; 08-03-2017 at 04:54 PM.

Grew up in poor suburban neighborhood in New Zealand - 1980's for high school. A significant portion of my year were already gang affiliates, out of about 200 only about 6 of us went on to university. When I watch American movies from time, looks much the same, but they had guns as well. Didn't know if was different in Edmonton, maybe the small town thing, albeit my city was hardly large. And yeah, I saw girls fighting all the time, I think its a lie that girls / women are less violent, if anything, I think more emotional and more so. They just do less damage, and have more support systems / more likely to be believed, so don't end up in prison as much.
    Lived in one of the worst areas of Edmonton growing up and never saw a knife fight. Fist fights? Every freaking day. If some lunatic brought a weapon and tried to use that in a fight a dozen people would jump that person and take it away and probably pound the **** out of them and would certainly be yelling what the **** is wrong with them.

The fighting code here was (other than the above dealing with lunatic situation);

1)Fighting is one on one only. Not packs of ravaging animals stabbing.

2) No weapons other than fists. That means no rocks, no bars, no chains, knives, nothing. Not even tinfoil.

3)If a person falls from a punch fight is over. if a person starts covering after a punch and in obvious defensive mode fight is over.

4) Anybody that feigns getting hurt and then tries to resume fighting is put down. Fight is over. You lost.

5)Fight is presided over naturally by everybody around. People wanted to see a clean fight, not bs. Get the fight done and move on. Even amicably.

6)Anybody that says "I'll get my big brother after you, or I'll get a gang of guys to jump you is considered the biggest wanker and social pariah in school and is virtually guaranteed to get pounded every week.

6a) Tell your parents and see 6 above.

7)Anybody grabbing a knife or a weapon would be presumed to be as stated a psychopathic lunatic. Basically everybody would probably report that fool at first opportunity.

That's just the way it was back in the 60's, 70's here. I have heard of some more violent times post war, in the 50's.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Replacement

I like and agree with what you posted as that is pretty much how I saw things happen in the 60s/70s.

But this part below nails the problem:

Lived in one of the worst areas of Edmonton growing up and never saw a knife fight. Fist fights? Every freaking day. If some lunatic brought a weapon and tried to use that in a fight a dozen people would jump that person and take it away and probably pound the **** out of them and would certainly be yelling what the **** is wrong with them.

Back then if you got out of line your peers (and often strangers) would shut you down ... hard. That doesn't happen today ... on other threads folks have been adamant about not getting involved when seeing a problem.

Take this road rage incident from yesterday, the police have described several witnesses and asked them to come forward. Come forward! The woman being assaulted was screaming and you were there and didn't do so much as yell! You didn't come over to see if she was ok? Didn't wait for the police?

There is the problem, we have created a community that cares not for their fellow man and would rather not be inconvenienced.

Pretty sorry society we've created isn't it?

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
    Replacement

I like and agree with what you posted as that is pretty much how I saw things happen in the 60s/70s.

But this part below nails the problem:

Back then if you got out of line your peers (and often strangers) would shut you down ... hard. That doesn't happen today ... on other threads folks have been adamant about not getting involved when seeing a problem.

Take this road rage incident from yesterday, the police have described several witnesses and asked them to come forward. Come forward! The woman being assaulted was screaming and you were there and didn't do so much as yell! You didn't come over to see if she was ok? Didn't wait for the police?

There is the problem, we have created a community that cares not for their fellow man and would rather not be inconvenienced.

IMO

Agreed, even friends would shut you down hard if you were out of line, and you would be momentarily confused, but usually quickly see they were right. There was a social conforming milieu, there were rules, standards, even if unwritten, they were known. But theres significantly less present social contract, its becoming more and more disengaged. Road rage an example of that, 7,500 people a year doing a hit and run in Edmonton an example of that (leaving the scene of an accident or fender bender, number includes parking lot damages)

As I've stated before the reason there is less social contract, mores, values, is we live in a time of anomie of those values due to various changes in our society and what we adhere to.

But other things are occurring too. Values are not only changing, they are being altered. If I stated such a thing that it would be impossible for me to ignore a women being attacked, or a child, (it is impossible for me to ignore) I'll probably be met with some kind of response suggesting I'm patriarchal, sexist, etc. In fact that nature of exchange has happened here more times than I would want to remember.

Another thing that is extremely unfortunate is good Samaritan targeting. Whereby the Samaritan is drawn in so that they could be mugged, attacked, robbed, even killed, with that being the intent. Staged events itargeting good Samaritans is, tragically, a warped idea that has been increasing.

Even without that first responders are often at risk. Social workers, police, Emergency workers all know this intimately. Become involved and respond and aggression is quite common. albeit unexpected. People in the middle of a dispute, especially domestic, have lost in those moments a sense of being rationale. In that instance the good Samaritan that means to be helpful is perceived as interfering and worse.
    Last edited by Replacement; 08-03-2017 at 06:06 PM.

^Well the police are saying tips are pouring in so there are people out there trying to help. As for witnesses. Sometimes people don't always see what people think they should have seen. If two people are walking together on the other side of the road/lane and they are in deep conversation they could be oblivious of what happened. If they did see, well that's awful they did not intervene, by helping the victim or calling the police.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/crim...ictims-vehicle

One of the difficult things these days is how often kids/youth scream as if they are being attacked by wild animals or something. I know I sound like old Dennis the Menace the neighbor saying that but countless times I've heard bloodthirsty cries outside only to go outside and find that its kids playing and being dramatic. Any school recess these days (we have 3 schools within 2 blocks and you can hear all of them) sound as if two dozen people are running around with chainsaws during recess or after school. Screaming and yelling and screeching. Constant.
    Thing is you stop being able to detect a real emergency due to screams occurring as a rule in kid/youth world.

This reminds me of the play area they used to have at MWTC. Used to sound like a zoo, people would comment on that constantly. That it sounded like screeching jackals and cockatoos being attacked by baboons. I think not even parents miss that its been removed.
    Last edited by Replacement; 08-03-2017 at 06:37 PM.

Personally, I think it's time to bring back the front license plate in this province. Almost 25 years has gone by and judging by driving trends, the experiment has failed.

Easier (front) identification for all vehicles would be a good thing considering all the impatience, distraction & aggression on our roads. I know its not going to make a dent in the stupidity however at least it should make it easier to ID them.

C2E Continued Contributor

Personally, I think it's time to bring back the front license plate in this province. Almost 25 years has gone by and judging by driving trends, the experiment has failed.

Easier (front) identification for all vehicles would be a good thing considering all the impatience, distraction & aggression on our roads. I know its not going to make a dent in the stupidity however at least it should make it easier to ID them.
    Send letters to Alberta Transportation, SolGen/Justice, Service Alberta, etc, if you want to see it done. If you get a small army on your side, they will eventually take notice.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hinderks

Care to offer any proof whatsoever that the Bystander Effect has worsened in our society? It's a well understood and studied phenomenon, so that shouldn't be too hard if there's any validity to your claim.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

I always find it funny when people claim today's violence is worse. I call BS. It's always been bad, sometimes it was more hidden, but we humans fought. Go have a look at clockwork orange, it's as brutal as anything today, and that was typical 1970s - look at other movies from the time, the Dirty Harry movies, Bronson movies, etc. NYC wasn't a hip stylish place to get ahead like today, it was a violent cespit of constant muggings and sexual assualts, and that was typical US downtowns (it helped drove the white flight with help of developers selling a safe surburban oasis).

There were always scuffles in car parks, this is nothing new, the only change is everyone has a video recorder (cell phone). From 1950, motomania

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mZAZ_xu0DCg
    is there anything in the world that you dislike or don't agree with or find unpleasant that isn't somehow the fault of those *&^% developers?
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Police charge man with attempted murder in violent road rage attack.

Edmonton police arrested a man in connection to Tuesday’s violent road rage attack that left a woman in hospital with two broken arms.
    Jared Matthew Eliasson, 28, has been charged with attempt to commit murder, possession of an offensive weapon dangerous to the public and aggravated assault.
    Eliasson was arrested on Wednesday, police said in a release.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...ad-rage-attack

Edmonton police arrested a man in connection to Tuesday’s violent road rage attack that left a woman in hospital with two broken arms.
    Jared Matthew Eliasson, 28, has been charged with attempt to commit murder, possession of an offensive weapon dangerous to the public and aggravated assault.

Would this have happened so quickly, or even at all, without the dashcam video?

^nope, public violence should go down as people realize there is nowhere in public today where you aren't likely under surveillance, or can very quickly be under surveillance (as we all have surveillance tools in our pockets).

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    The fighting code here was (other than the above dealing with lunatic situation);
    I thought those sort of childish codes died in the 70's, but I guess not. Where I grew up, you just tried to hurt the other person as much as you could, I was taught if someone attacks you, you can do whatever you need to in self defense. And yeah, your mates would help, whether you outnumber or were outnumbered. I don't think its that different anywhere in the world today. I saw a guy break a glass on a table and use as a knife against a girl in Edmonton. Dance hall shootings aren't uncommon all over Canada. Guess I didn't grow up in the same generation as you, that code stuff died. I'm not a fan of codes because they aren't enforceable, the only one that has enforcement is the law. The nice thing is with more surveillance hopefully public spaces will get a bit safer in time.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post

Would this have happened so quickly, or even at all, without the dashcam video?
    perhaps not so quickly but i would hope that the public cooperation and tips and the outrage that brought out those things would have been just as effective even if not as quick.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    perhaps not so quickly but i would hope that the public cooperation and tips and the outrage that brought out those things would have been just as effective even if not as quick.
    That hasn't' been the experience of police investigating dance hall shootings and similar in Edmonton, where more than 100 people are absolutely silent. A lot of the key drug dealers are way too powerful for people to speak up against them. But yeah, maybe with a road rage. Probably not though, and I doubt police would have pushed it so hard without that.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    I thought those sort of childish codes died in the 70's, but I guess not. Where I grew up, you just tried to hurt the other person as much as you could, I was taught if someone attacks you, you can do whatever you need to in self defense. And yeah, your mates would help, whether you outnumber or were outnumbered. I don't think its that different anywhere in the world today. I saw a guy break a glass on a table and use as a knife against a girl in Edmonton. Dance hall shootings aren't uncommon all over Canada. Guess I didn't grow up in the same generation as you, that code stuff died. I'm not a fan of codes because they aren't enforceable, the only one that has enforcement is the law. The nice thing is with more surveillance hopefully public spaces will get a bit safer in time.
    I have a hard time with you describing knife attacks and pack behavior as being a better way of sorting out affairs then a one on one fight which you describe as "childish"

Apparently for you its a sign of development to cowardly attack someone with a weapon or have a gang jump them. Where do you come up with such outlandish thought? Is it self taught, inate, or are you spending a life working on such warped perspective.

The whole notion of getting someone before they get you is REPREHENSIBLE and borne of US style gun and weapon violence and where the likelihood of getting murdered is 10X as high. Apparently you reside in the wrong country. People aren't safer if they pull out a weapon or everybody has that as a mental directive. That's obviously more dangerous as are attitudes like you just espoused. Which you probably don't even realize. you probably don't realize either that countless murder and assault investigations have revealed that the defendant perceived being attacked even when witnessess thought the defendant was the aggressor. Its primary for people, especially people that are easily afraid, and panic, to perceive danger, risk, aggression, and be first to respond in what they allege is self defense. Its quite often the exact opposite and with the twitchy weapons wielding type being the actual aggressor of violence. That's why the code existed, to try to prevent worse harm. With an accompanying acknowledgement that the people using weapons are the biggest cowards around and are worthy only of disgust.

btw I specifically described that as a code of the 60's and 70's here as it was what I was intimately aware of growing up.

ps the best method in disputes is de-escalation and/or avoiding getting wrapped up in escalations, and obvious wrong places in the first place. When weaponry is prerequisite to defending one self its a a very sad day for *civilization*.
    Last edited by Replacement; 09-03-2017 at 06:54 PM.

I realize these are difficult matters for EPS and that cause a lot of pause for thought but Christa Pennie, a normally thoughtful EPS Sergeant, and spokesperson for this arrest refers to the individual as a Gentleman. I realize that's a common term in this age as if to convey respect to all involved but it shouldn't be in use regardless of situation. This is no gentleman, and doesn't deserve that term, doesn't deserve to even be called a man. Also, no reason for the EPS answer to "is this person known to the police to be "no, not really". They were aware of this individual and apparently had prior dealings with this individual. Why give him that much benefit of doubt. This is the most disgusting and deplorable act of the year, save for any of the 8 homicides that have occurred in the city this year.

Jared, please take that crowbar and bash your nuts in to at least do society a Darwinian favor.

I'll resist stating anything else.
    Last edited by Replacement; 09-03-2017 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post

Care to offer any proof whatsoever that the Bystander Effect has worsened in our society? It's a well understood and studied phenomenon, so that shouldn't be too hard if there's any validity to your claim.

Well Marcel

You asked a good question and I spent some hours on and off through the day to discover that there are no academic or scholarly articles on the incidence of the bystander effect at any particular point of time. That I could find at least after many searches using varied wording.

You can certainly glean "what it is", "the causes", "percentage of crowd likely to not act" and many physiological papers and documentation covering those topics. Interestingly it appears it is a fairly recent piece of physiological interest as the first papers only appear in 1968 with additional data not appearing till the late 1970s and only becoming of increased interest since the 1990s.

As far as rates of incidence, appears it has not been studied by my many searches, not even a reference to a study. Which to me indicates a) Lack of hard data on incidence or b) No one wants to deal with it.

That said the time was not wasted as it led to quite a series on increasing social and communal apathy (as opposed to political apathy which flood the topic), how that apathy has been a big piece of the rise in bullying on and off line, lack of social engagement and a series of other negative effects. far too many links to provide so I'll let you research that on your own.

That said it certainly appears that the "bystander effect", "social and community apathy" are simply symptomatic of much larger problems ... including road rage, bullying and others.

Did find it interesting that there are no academic or scholarly article references to "bystander effect" and "social apathy" prior to the 1968 study/paper of the 1964 murder of Kitty Genovese and subsequent studies later that year.

Certainly an interesting topic to read on during a cold day ... that said my interpretation of the days readings seem to support my original statement.

In my opinion

Seeing as it is a topic that seems in Replacement's bailiwick maybe Replacement can jump in with additional information.
    Last edited by Thomas Hinderks; 09-03-2017 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Fixed mixed Font

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post

Well Marcel

You asked a good question and I spent some hours on and off through the day to discover that there are no academic or scholarly articles on the incidence of the bystander effect at any particular point of time. That I could find at least after many searches using varied wording.

You can certainly glean "what it is", "the causes", "percentage of crowd likely to not act" and many physiological papers and documentation covering those topics. Interestingly it appears it is a fairly recent piece of physiological interest as the first papers only appear in 1968 with additional data not appearing till the late 1970s and only becoming of increased interest since the 1990s.

As far as rates of incidence, appears it has not been studied by my many searches, not even a reference to a study. Which to me indicates a) Lack of hard data on incidence or b) No one wants to deal with it.

That said the time was not wasted as it led to quite a series on increasing social and communal apathy (as opposed to political apathy which flood the topic), how that apathy has been a big piece of the rise in bullying on and off line, lack of social engagement and a series of other negative effects. far too many links to provide so I'll let you research that on your own.

That said it certainly appears that the "bystander effect", "social and community apathy" are simply symptomatic of much larger problems ... including road rage, bullying and others.

Did find it interesting that there are no academic or scholarly article references to "bystander effect" and "social apathy" prior to the 1968 study/paper of the 1964 murder of Kitty Genovese and subsequent studies later that year.

Certainly an interesting topic to read on during a cold day ... that said my interpretation of the days readings seem to support my original statement.

In my opinion

Seeing as it is a topic that seems in Replacement's bailiwick maybe Replacement can jump in with additional information.
    This indeed is my ballpark. Bystander effect changes through time is not consistently substantiated in the literature. As difficult as it is to capture that in studies, or experiments. My sense is there would be reduction in good Samaritan or participant bystander action and for some of the reasons I mentioned. But that's more tied into an overview of present day Canada being more a society in flux and with less established mores, values, and the lack of connection therein. That part is substantiated. Its called cultural anomie. Emile Durkheim first posited the effects of Anomie over a century ago but it continues to have continued, if not increased relevance. The world effects that Durkheim was observing have been amplified over the last century. So anomie arguably applies more now.

Connected with this is people in present day see themselves very much as free agents in society and whereby the connection and responsibility to the world is diminishing. This part is outside of my specific area but theres even a lot of studies on how increased disconnection from ethical constraints in society allow Wall street and big business to function as it currently does. In other words with much more psychopathic actions, behavior evidenced in big business and brokerage.

The term I use often, and its common vernacular, is that the "social contract" is eroding. Its what ties us together, bonds us, bonds us with responsibility to society, others. Its all eroding. The premise, an easy enough one to make from that is that bystander effect would possibly be diminished. I mean if connection and altruism in general is diminished one would have to imagine that bystander action is curtailed.

The latter imo

Heres an addendum to my post. One other reason it would be hard to find a lot of substantiating data on the subject is that it falls more within the realm of Sociology or Social Psychology and especially with the latter this making up a constantly evolving and not necessarily fixed area of study. Social Psychologists essentially find endless things to study and its a bit of a chaotic discipline. Its perhaps the least empirical discipline in the Social Sciences albeit some people would argue that point. Its also been a home to some famous supposed charlatans whose work has been highly criticized since, for instance, Philip Zimbardo and his infamous Stanford experiments that were meant to invoke Stanley Milgrams experimental findings. However Zimbardo's experiments have been highly criticized since as confirmation bias as subjects report being coached, even encouraged to go along with what Zimbardo sought to find. Zimbardo was also the worst definition of pop psychologist. Somebody in it basically to sell books, self promotion, get attention, and he seemingly cared more about his fame then his work. Unfortunately theres been an amount of Social Psychologists like that.
    Last edited by Replacement; 09-03-2017 at 10:19 PM.

Thanks for the input Replacement

After reading your response last night I spent some time reading on "cultural anomie", while subject to interpretation it definitely is interesting stuff and certainly explains much about today's society.

Some of the articles I read demonstrated not only the ties to the "bystander effect" but also to the fall of community, service organizations, loyalty and patriotism and the rise of targeted advocacy, SJWs and the increase in charitable donations while people actually do less in terms of charitable/volunteer work. In a sense government & NGOs replacing community...sad.

In the case of the rising instances of road rage and similar acts it seems to somewhat explain the "feeling" of "I can do what I want and no one will stop me"

Seems that "social contract" is becoming very degraded.

IMO

You're welcome Thomas. Emile Durkheim's look at anomie hit me the first time I studied it. Realizing immediately it has so much application. Explains so much. Its rare that theorists in his discipline nail it as well as he did. Moreso that his theories have stood the test of time and are more relevant even today.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12