Thread: Officers to enforce zero tolerance policy on Whyte Ave

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Officers to enforce zero tolerance policy on Whyte Ave

http://www.edmontonpolice.ca/News/Me...tolerance.aspx

For Immediate Release:02-Jun-2016 @ 12:44 PM
    MRU #:16R059
    Officers walking the beat on Whyte Avenue this summer want visitors to have fun and enjoy one of the city’s favourite gathering spots.

“One of the main attractions of any large, metropolitan city like Edmonton is it’s entertainment district. We are blessed to have a wonderful place like Whyte Avenue, which brings so many segments of our city together to enjoy some shopping, a meal or a night out with family and friends.

“For the most part, people do behave themselves while on Whyte Avenue, though there are some individuals who repeatedly tend to cross the line and compromise the safety of others – including officers, said EPS Insp. Erik Johnson, of the service’s Southwest Division.

“This type of behavior won’t be tolerated.”

As such, the Edmonton Police Service has sought and received the Crown Prosecutor’s blessing to impose “Area Restrictions”, as a bail condition for repeat offenders who initiate trouble on Whyte Avenue.

“Our beat officers spend a lot of time on the Avenue, and take pride in building relationships with both visitors and the business owners along Whyte,” said Const. Ryan Ferry, of the EPS Hospitality Policing Unit. “The Area Restrictions bail condition gives Scona Beat officers another tool to help enhance our crime and offender management efforts on The Ave.”

The new Whyte Avenue Area Restriction condition will cover the area between 109 Street to 99 Street, and a two-block radius north and south of 82 Avenue. Disorderly conduct continues to keep officers busy, accounting for 46 per cent of all incidents responded to on Whyte Avenue (2016 YTD).

“These are the types of incidents, which usually involve intoxicated individuals, that we’re going to be clamping down on,” said Ferry. “We also depend on the cooperation of business owners to properly manage their clientele to ensure everyone has a memorable experience on Whyte.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Too bad they dont do anything similiar for jasper ave...

I heard the area around Cromdale is so terrible with regards to alcohol-induced-problems that they shouldn't even get a liquor store! Maybe they should adopt something similar there?

/sarcasm
    /inside joke
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Zero tolerance for rowdy, violent behaviour on Whyte Ave this summer
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/zero-tolerance-for-rowdy-violent-behaviour-on-whyte-ave-this-summer-1.3613669

Edmonton police are putting Whyte Avenue patrons on notice: people who are rowdy or violent could be barred from the area this summer.

"Nearly half of all crimes registered (for the area) fall under the category of disturbances or disorder crime," said Const. Ryan Ferry.

"This initiative will give beat officers and divisional officers one more tool to be able to counteract the repeat behaviour that is leading to unsafe decision-making and ruining it for everybody else."

Ferry said there have been cases where the same person has caused numerous problems along the popular shopping avenue. The new initiative allows Crown prosecutors to ask a judge to include an "area restriction" among bail conditions for an accused.

That would mean a repeat offender would not be allowed into any business or venue from 99th Street to 109th Street, and two blocks north or south of Whyte Avenue.

"There is going to be a zero tolerance in terms of repeat problem behaviour," Ferry said.

Problem behaviour, he said, includes anything violence-related, including mischief and destruction of property.

The most serious violence tends to occur between 2 a.m. and 4 a.m., he said.

"There can be tempers raised, there can be fights."

Police already have the power to restrict a person from a specific venue, and Ferry said the new initiative expands that power to cover the whole area.

The pilot project is for the summer, and will be tracked. If successful, it could be expanded to other entertainment zones in the city, Ferry said.

"This is police officers trying to adapt and address recurring problems," he said.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I hope this applies to the douchebag motorcyclists with no mufflers...

I used to really enjoy Whyte Ave but find myself avoiding the area to save myself the aggravation. Its nearly impossible to hold a conversation while walking down the street.

It really must affect the businesses down there...

Quote Originally Posted by burbs View Post

I used to really enjoy Whyte Ave but find myself avoiding the area to save myself the aggravation. Its nearly impossible to hold a conversation while walking down the street.

not just motorcyclists, but cars that sound fast and look fast (but of course the driver is only doing 30-40, or so they claim)

Trucks can be loud too.

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post

not just motorcyclists, but cars that sound fast and look fast (but of course the driver is only doing 30-40, or so they claim)

Trucks can be loud too.
    If they did that, I would benefit too. I think that I'm part of a loop for this sort of traffic in the wee hours and if that loop were cut along Whyte, they might have to abandon 109th Street toward the High Level also.

Quote Originally Posted by EveB View Post
    If they did that, I would benefit too. I think that I'm part of a loop for this sort of traffic in the wee hours and if that loop were cut along Whyte, they might have to abandon 109th Street toward the High Level also.

We can only hope. I never understand why the police give this a pass.

Trucks can be loud too.
    110dB baby!
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    110dB baby!
    Never understood people being proud of being a public nuisance, inconsiderate & a poor neighbor.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

This is potentially quite draconian on the enforcement side of things, but at least, I guess, the final say would be up to a judge.

Trucks can be loud too.
    Tragically City Council, being the myopic City Council we all know & love, amended the noise bylaw to only apply the specific decibel thresholds to motorcycles alone, leaving cars & trucks to the vague standards that weren't good enough to crack down on bikes with, leaving them in a lovely grey area.

You'd think someone who's involved enough in the City's machinations to know about the bike noise limits while simultaneously purporting to be an agent of positive change in the community would voluntarily try to keep themselves to a lower dB range. Evidently this is just another double standard to add to the list of "do as I say, not as I do."

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

And that's the reason that bike's sound levels aren't functionally regulated. They can claim discrimination on grounds that even I can agree with (when not sleep deprived).

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post

Trucks can be loud too.
    Tragically City Council, being the myopic City Council we all know & love, amended the noise bylaw to only apply the specific decibel thresholds to motorcycles alone, leaving cars & trucks to the vague standards that weren't good enough to crack down on bikes with, leaving them in a lovely grey area.

You'd think someone who's involved enough in the City's machinations to know about the bike noise limits while simultaneously purporting to be an agent of positive change in the community would voluntarily try to keep themselves to a lower dB range. Evidently this is just another double standard to add to the list of "do as I say, not as I do."
    The city wants the bylaw to include more vehicle types. The issue isn't the bylaw, it's testing methodology. They have a very specific setup for motorcycles that's uniform. There's so much more differentiation in cars and trucks that the testing would be largely "user discretion" and unlikely to hold up in court.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I'd rather C2E than work!

It's also testing and recommendations that involved the motorbike community (some organization... forgot the name of it).
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?