Thread: Land Line?

Default Land Line?

Curious - who's still got a land line?

In light of Shaw's upcoming increase, I'm thinking of ditching my land line.. since wifey and I already have cell phones, losing a land line wouldn't be such a big deal.

What about 911 services, does this still require having to register a cell phone to your address?

C2E Hard Core Contributor

My wife barely used her cell phone and ditched it. As such we still have a land line.

C2E Continued Contributor

No land line for a couple years now. Moved across the country, kept my same number.

Most cellphones and providers can do e911, which basically means the phone will provide your location (typically via GPS) to 911.

VOIP line for my buzzer, that's it.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Ditched the landline years ago. I barely talk on the phone as it is and the smart phone is great for I really want: messaging and internet access.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Have a landline at the shop for the banking machine and other things but no land line at home for 5 years as we both have cell phones. Ditched the landline at the cottage too. Don't need them anymore, but... now we have tv and wifi bills which are 4 times what the old cable bills used to be so with tvs, cell phones, banking machine, and wifis and netflix, extra channels, and this and that we still total telus bills of $700 a month. Crazy. I seldom talk on the phone too, mostly texting except for doctors appointments and a few other things. Texting seems to be my communication mainstay and use my iPhone for internet most of the time. Sonny Boy likes his desk top, lap top, and iPad.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 06-06-2016 at 05:06 PM.

C2E Long Term Contributor

I still have a land line because it's become the receptacle for all junk phone calls. When I sign up for something I always provide my land line while I only give out my smartphone number to trusted sources. I keep the landline phone silent and let the voicemail screen my calls, thus I'm rarely harassed by scammers, solicitors and pollsters. The land line is also used for my internet access (esp if I work from home) and my condo buzzer.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I communicate with solely with my land line, email, and smoke signals.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    VOIP line for my buzzer, that's it.
    I just have a VOIP line as well, I just use it for calls to family overseas. At some point could probably transition to Skype, but this seems easier for them.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    My wife barely used her cell phone and ditched it. As such we still have a land line.
    I got my mom to ditch the landline and port the landline # to her cellphone that she barely used. Nobody was ever home to answer the landline, and nobody could ever get in touch with my mom.

Solved both problems in one shot.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I haven't had a landline since the day I moved out.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Canceled mine 10+ years ago. Shaw has been begging me to get it back ever since. Can't think of a single reason why I'd want one.

Cancelled it about 2 years ago. Haven't yet wished we had it back.

Took a little bit of convincing the wife to let it go, but it was probably more of the fear of not having it, than actually not having it, since we'd both had one growing up.

Is it for a ship?
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I still have a land line, one GE cordless phone I bought in 1993 from Consumers Distributing, and a rotary dial phone with a five foot cord. I'm with Shaw
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

^CD, man I feel old.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Haven't used one in over a decade. My parents who are in their 60s got rid of theirs maybe 5 years ago as well. No need for a landline except maybe for businesses.

Its been a while since I've had a land line, about 10 years, right now only using cell phones and Shaw internet. Their cable TV packages seem too expensive to switch from streaming shows over Netflix. Because my wife is American we do have a MagicJack (VOIP) with a number that is in her parents local calling area.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    I got my mom to ditch the landline and port the landline # to her cellphone that she barely used. Nobody was ever home to answer the landline, and nobody could ever get in touch with my mom.

Sucks for your mom.

She was probly like Top_Dawg.

Had call display on her land line and only answered calls that she wanted to.

And who was the wiser ?

Now that you put a tracking device on her she has to answer calls from people she doesn''t want to talk to lest they get pi$$ed off at her.

Thanks chmilz.

Cell phones have call display too. You don't have to answer just because you're carrying the phone.

Point being that the caller then knows you are choosing not to answer.

First One is Always Free

Haven't had a land line in 10 years, only person who ever called me on it was my mummy and now she has Facebook and won't stop sending me messages

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Point being that the caller then knows you are choosing not to answer.
    Why is that a problem? I don't feel obliged to answer my phone no matter where I am just because it's ringing.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post

Sucks for your mom.

She was probly like Top_Dawg.

Had call display on her land line and only answered calls that she wanted to.

And who was the wiser ?

Now that you put a tracking device on her she has to answer calls from people she doesn''t want to talk to lest they get pi$$ed off at her.

Thanks chmilz.
    Don't fret, she ignores calls from people she doesn't want to talk to. There's the added benefit of putting the phone on silent.

Still have a landline, but I don't think it's long for this world.
    www.decl.org

Yeah, thanks for answering the informal poll.

I'll be ditching it soon.

We still have ours via Telus. Land lines can't be hacked.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    What kind of hacking are you worried about on voice calls?

Bluetooth pairing hacks?

Someone's been watching too much Person of Interest.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

^ Not sure what that is. I just watch Sports and the news but yeah my Telus mobility account was hacked into. Telus said I owed something like $350. I'll keep my land line thanks. Off to work...

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Landlines are very easy to hack, red and green wire typically, from the junction box on the side of your house. Cell phones are harder because they will hop frequencies and towers from time to time depending on the signal strength.

We got rid of our landline a few years ago.

The nice thing about using only cellphones is that when the phone rings, you know who it's for. The bad thing is that you don't have a handset in every room of the house so it's easy to miss calls if you left your phone in another room, or your battery died, or you forgot to turn the volume back on after you went to the movie last night.

^ In the case for land lines, is the cost factor. I pay $20/month for my Telus phone and there is no additional data fee. Our Internet plan at Home is reasonable and I can use Open City wifi along the Capital line on my iPod Touch to check email. It works good for me. For the most part my shifts during the week are 5.5 hours long and I'm home by 10:30pm. At the other job I'm home by 9pm as I can get a ride home most nights. I don't have a lot of people I call and my job is on the phone anyway. I try to avoid the phone as much as possible.

I still have a land line for my Internet, from which I run real cables to two laptops, and run WiFi for the smartphones while at home.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Still have a landline but only connected to one corded phone with the rest being portable phones.

Probably should tie the cellphone into the portable phone. I prefer talking on a larger handset but nothing today matches the old style handsets for comfort. Though a headset might be the best option. Or just using the speaker phone is also nice.
    Last edited by KC; 12-06-2016 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post

The nice thing about using only cellphones is that when the phone rings, you know who it's for. The bad thing is that you don't have a handset in every room of the house so it's easy to miss calls if you left your phone in another room, or your battery died, or you forgot to turn the volume back on after you went to the movie last night.
    Last night I missed a call from a friend that way. Scrambled to get to my cell but didn't make it. He was in Anaheim so I had to call back. Nice thing about landlines is the cheap or free long distance which you do not get with a cell phone. Luckily I had a calling card. I dialed another friend in Thailand on my cell last month and talked for a while. It was $105 on my bill for that one call. That's when I picked up the calling card. For $10 its 500 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post

Last night I missed a call from a friend that way. Scrambled to get to my cell but didn't make it. He was in Anaheim so I had to call back. Nice thing about landlines is the cheap or free long distance which you do not get with a cell phone. Luckily I had a calling card. I dialed another friend in Thailand on my cell last month and talked for a while. It was $105 on my bill for that one call. That's when I picked up the calling card. For $10 its 500 minutes.
    A lot of cellular plans offer some sort of long distance feature bundled in with the plan. For example, I get free Canada wide calling bundled for no extra cost.

In terms of why we got rid of the land line, it wasn't necessarily only about cost, but it was just rendundant. A landline isn't expensive, but why not save $25 a month for something you already have?