Thread: Charge your phone at a solar bench

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Charge your phone at a solar bench

C2E SME

The ones at City Hall look great.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Great, although park now shuts off power due to recharging.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I'd never plug my phone into a random USB port.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    ^What???
    Stupid iPads.

There are issues with people in City parks recharging phones for free and causing issues, such that parks are restricting power. This is an interesting move.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Well, there goes my idea for a new superhero, Chargatron, that goes around and safes people from the ever traumatic Facebook Disconnect. Day and night mild mannered blogger {Give me a name folks} wanders the streets ready to transform...

Ok, rewrite time. Mild mannered Parker Bench...
    Last edited by KC; 08-06-2016 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    I'd never plug my phone into a random USB port.
    Amen. It'd be safer to chew the gum found under the bench than stick your phone into the USB port.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

There is a premise that technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic. Alas this isn't soofa's design methodology. If I was them I'd probably have clear plastic bench planks and the solar cells mounted in the planks. Mount the USB charging ports on the underside of the bench's armrests, make the technology almost invisible.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    ^What???
    Stupid iPads.

There are issues with people in City parks recharging phones for free and causing issues, such that parks are restricting power. This is an interesting move.
    Isn't charging your phone the whole point? What am I missing here?

What are the issues?
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    ^What???
    Stupid iPads.

Isn't charging your phone the whole point? What am I missing here?

What are the issues?
    I think Ian was referring to people utilizing the plugins already at the parks to charge their phones, not the fancy bench, causing the City to turn off the plugs.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Oh there are tons of issues with security and USB ports. Essentially plugging a USB drive into a slot can automatically install firmware. Unfortunately USB-C didn't fix the problem.
    https://www.wired.com/2014/07/usb-security/
    http://www.imore.com/usb-c-and-badus...-you-need-know

I wonder what the cost of this thing is versus the cost of a regular outlet & power supplied to it.

Solar panels arent cheap, and certainly not that eco friendly to produce. (They usually take years of use before equalling the same amount of power used to create and ship the panels)

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    I wonder what the cost of this thing is versus the cost of a regular outlet & power supplied to it.

Solar panels arent cheap, and certainly not that eco friendly to produce. (They usually take years of use before equalling the same amount of power used to create and ship the panels)
    I heard about $8K. I don't know if that's for both.

We have to make sure to shut off the power to our outdoor outlets in the parking lot in the warmer months. I don't begrudge anyone using a little power to charge their phone, but we had small groups of meth heads setting up camp in our parking lot, which coincided with people trying to break into the building with a crowbar on a nightly basis (they can't get in with a crowbar, but they can screw up the door so it doesn't close properly, and get in that way).

They're gone now, after I called the police whenever they set up camp. It's easy to notice when they do that, because they are usually really loud - yelling at each other.

I'm not 100% sure if it's meth, but whatever drug they are taking isn't making them any smarter.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post

I heard about $8K. I don't know if that's for both.

We have to make sure to shut off the power to our outdoor outlets in the parking lot in the warmer months. I don't begrudge anyone using a little power to charge their phone, but we had small groups of meth heads setting up camp in our parking lot, which coincided with people trying to break into the building with a crowbar on a nightly basis (they can't get in with a crowbar, but they can screw up the door so it doesn't close properly, and get in that way).

They're gone now, after I called the police whenever they set up camp. It's easy to notice when they do that, because they are usually really loud - yelling at each other.

I'm not 100% sure if it's meth, but whatever drug they are taking isn't making them any smarter.
    You live in such an alternative universe to me. Thanks for posting - and making me feel better about life in my own little personal universe.