Thread: Edmonton Airshow

C2E Long Term Contributor
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

This is show is going to be awsome! They are having a massive parachute drop from a C-130J!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Can't wait, got our tickets!!

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

I bought tickets last year and never got close to the gate. I have no doubt it will be a gooder. Still, I'll pass.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

We fixed the traffic problems from last year. Plus, we've moved the show back an hour to allow extra time to arrive. We've also instituted park and rides from Acheson to Villeneuve, so that you can have multiple exits out of an industrial park. Additionally, we've opened another entrance on the west side for contractors and the shuttle bus to alleviate the traffic that was trying to negotiate the main road into the existing hangars. Finally, Alberta Transportation, the RCMP, Sherriff, and County police offices learned a lot last year and are prepared with multiple entry methods. In fact, we instituted them on Saturday afternoon and it was a 30-45 minute timeframe to clear out the lot.

In short, we've mitigated as much as we can given the existing roads. PM me please.
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

So, we are 6 weeks away, and it is getting exciting.

There are a lot of things we are still working on. However, we are also looking hard at 2017. We promised a large show for Canada's 150th, and I intend to do my level best to deliver on that. I am also looking at how we can improve the airport's infrastructure to assist us in this growth.

I am also excited at the amount of charitable organizations that recognize how strong of an event we are. We will launch a new charity that has quickly and hungrily made their 50/50 request. We could raise up to $50,000 for a local kids charity.

Again, in 2017, we are looking to see what else we can bring to the table. This AirShow is not just about planes. It is and always will be a community building event.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Sad news from Cold Lake

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/e...show-1.3683081

We will be issuing a full statement soon. He was to be here as well.

Our hearts go out to his friends and family.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

CBC confirms Bruce Evans, the pilot of the Trojan, passed away in this accident.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for 6 steel plates, 4' x 4' x 1/2"

If you have some suggestions, or know of a place scrapping some, let me know.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Very sad news regarding Mr Evans.

I'd rather C2E than work!

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/aviation-community-shocked-at-death-of-well-known-pilot-during-cold-lake-airshow-1.2992044

“He was a really good guy, the kind of guy you’d want as a neighbor,” Tom Hinderks, who worked with Evans, told CTV News. “As one pilot to another, he was a pilot’s pilot.

“[He was] cautious, infinitely careful. He’s the kind of pilot I would let my kids fly with and that’s probably the ultimate compliment.”

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

All,

Forget the steel plates.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

This thread is going off topic. Please keep this about the Edmonton Airshow.

Wetaskiwin has its thread here. http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...Show-July-20th
    Ow

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

For those that couldn't make it, here are some HIGHlites featuring the Canadian Forcres CF-18 Demonstration Team / Harvard II Heritage Flight, the USAF Viper Demonstration Team / P-51 Mustang Heritage Flight, Red Bull Air Racer Pete McLeod, Yellow Thunder - Drew & Dave Watson Harvard Team, Bud and Ross Granley, Geoff Latter, Brent Handy, Bill Carter, Ray Fowler with the Erickson Collection P-38 & Corsair from Ric Peterson:

Congratulations to Dean Heuman and Richard Skermer for putting on a great show and a thank you to EIA for helping us host it and for all of the sponsors and supporters that helped make it possible and to everyone who showed up to have a good time...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Was a great show, congrats to all that made it possible. Looking forward to next year

C2E Long Term Contributor

Great video. Looks like a great event, well done guys.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I went to it and took the kids. The playzone was great and kept them busy until the F16 flyover the playzone made them all cry!

Excellent event and looking forward to next year.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ man those were loud!!!

Default Edmonton Airshow

I thought I would start a permanent thread here for the Edmonton Airshow.

I was out to it on the weekend and wow! some pile of people!
    I never had any traffic issues getting in.
    There was next to no line up for the food trucks this year.
    Beer was cheaper than Northlands.
    The bouncy castles were a huge hit for the children.

Loved the jets flying.

My only major criticism, I wish there was more airplanes on the ramp to visit.

My mind races with the possibilities for performances.

I think this could turn into a major regular event.

What was your experience?

I'm hoping to come out next year as this look so much fun. Indeed, congrats to all around for bringing it back and a second successful season!
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Looked like a huge hit. Congrats for your efforts. A pity the PWA 37 was left in the weeds. I would have expected better of museum piece than that.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post
    Looked like a huge hit. Congrats for your efforts. A pity the PWA 37 was left in the weeds. I would have expected better of museum piece than that.
    Don't get me started. It shouldn't have been there in the first place. ERAA did show me their preferred spot and the diagrams drawn...and it would not have been forlorn. The owners and operators group also lament its position. Adjacent farm/land owners came up to both Dean and I complaining about the plane thinking we were responsible for it as producers of the Airshow.

Other desires obviously were at play when it was moved there. Even our announcer Ric Peterson lamented its position.

There are efforts to bring it back. I am currently the chair of the PWA committee (alumni and technical 737 experts) and will be meeting with them soon to execute a collaborative strategy with EIA and the museum to bring the bird back to where it was supposed to be.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Thanks Cod Father.

There are no promises on turning this into a yearly event. That is the hope, but that completely depends on backing from both our sponsors and the general public.

Edmonton Airports is onside. All their attending staff members were overwhelmed with how professional and first class this event is after 2 short years. Sure, we did have some bumps on Friday mainly due to the rush to reconfigure the entire show set up in 24 hours due to the rain and soggy field, but the overall show feedback to date is that it is overwhelmingly head and shoulders over last year...and people were gushing about last year.

The USAF personnel that came were very happy overall. They plan to strongly suggest to all flying branches of the service to send up more iron for 2017 should we do it.

1st Canadian Air Division (1CAD) was more than impressed. I expect more will be coming from our Canadian Forces. Andrew secured the PPCLI opening parachute jump...what a great thing. Sure, the Skyhawks are nice....but the PPCLI is here and their service often is unrecognized.

I worked hard on the best marker I could find for a show opener...a flyover from a commercial jet. Canadian North was so on board with us right from the start. Peter was amazing...the premium lounge was branded with Canadian North lanyards. The crew polished up the jet beautifully. Seeing that banana pass in a 733 with their blue, yellow, black, and white paint scheme on the sunny sky...

...but Gary Ward...he stole the show. Just my opinion...

As for more airplanes on the ramp, that is a twofold conversation.

The first is that many went mechanical just before the show...some maybe even saw the gloomy forecast and went weather mechanical. The Steerman, Tiger Moth, and Chipmunk that was supposed to attend as a part of the BCATP celebration we tried to put on went mechanical. We did get the Harvards. Gonzo - a Dash 8-100 training aircraft in aerial surveillance - failed a prop balance test at 10:00h L on Friday, so it was a scrub. It was to join the SeaKing, Griffon, and CASARA on the static line. 402 Squadron was a last minute add, and a last minute scrub. Others just looked at the forecast and said next year. Too bad as the days turned out beautiful.

The second is the field capacity. The fast jets didn't land because we could not obtain permission to install an arrestor cable on the runway. Now, yes...technically you don't need one for these fast jets in a combat environment, but the nicely painted CF-18 is a one of one...and new regs post Airdrie (and post Oshkosh for the USAF) demand an arrestor cable be installed for demonstration aircraft. That is being worked through with Transport Canada and I am confident that next year we will get it in. In fact, I had their regional rep in my vehicle for Saturday morning taking her around the field. She was more than impressed; however, she did have some very reasonable criticisms and excellent suggestions. I look forward to working with Wendy.

Another factor is the condition and thickness of the pavement. The Canadian North 737 was to actually land and park...dropping off VIP's and then leaving with them after the show. They also were bringing an older 737 Combi for a one-two punch. We even had plans for a wedding inside the Combi. However, with all this rain and other factors, pavement quality and strength proved to be a concern. With the public around, better safe than sorry. However, we plan on addressing this as a collaborative group and seeing what we can do in 2017...should we do a 2017.

What blew me away were the sheer amount of both professional and amateur photographers that bought PREMIUM tickets to the show just to take so many wonderful pictures. They are sharing them with reckless abandon!!! Check out facebook right now for over 4,000 pictures and counting! Many have photographed Abbotsford yearly...and all gushed about how this set up blows Abbotsford away. I know the President of that show...and I'd say we have a long way to go to be Abbotsford...but the compliment made me blush.

Abbotsford would be a wonderful partner to get more acts up to Edmonton as we will now follow that show like last year. We picked that following weekend specifically for this...and also because we were far enough out of the July rainy season. This year, we had to move up to accommodate the Hornet demo, and we saw first had why I demanded to go late in August. The weather was a killer...and by some good fortune the skies cleared on Friday (sunburn), Saturday (more sunburn), and on Sunday it rained all around us...but not on us (still the weak sun hurt my skin ).

2017 has lots of potential...and lots of ideas like you say Cod Father. Feel free to PM me with any of them!

I am very proud of my brothers in arms - Ken and Dean. With our extended teams, we've put together something that continues to surprise and astound even our worst critics. Even as some broke their commitments at the last minute, we still pulled off a kick *** show, left the audience happy, and left the performers rushing to want to be here again. Even COPA - who helped with our fly in - was blown away at the reach. They are about to do COPA for Kids, and they had that announced at the show. Now, they've had to stop accepting entries as they are overwhelmed! Goal achieved...get young people interested in this career!

I am on such a high...I won't come down for weeks...

This aircraft hold a very special place for myself. It was the very last aircraft my Father flew. He retired taking it from YYC to YXD Just the fact it has survived is a testament to efforts thus far. I simply didn't know the reason for it's present position.Thank you Richard for your update and continued efforts. I appreciate them.

Default Snowbirds

Okay, Oilers save face and force game 7. Now on to other news.

Snowbirds confirmed, right? Not a peep on c2e? What am I missing?

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2017/05/0...me-in-15-years

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Already bought our tickets, definitely making it an annual family outing.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Snowbirds are confirmed. We're diving in hard at some other "only in Edmonton" acts for 2017, as well as coordinating with the Arctic Tour. We won't do a big media push until later this spring / early summer. We're continuing our self-imposed strategy of not advertising in markets and times when other Alberta shows are on.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    Already bought our tickets, definitely making it an annual family outing.

I'm glad. We want to expand this show considerably, so any ideas are welcomed.

C2E Continued Contributor

You guys do any demolition displays?

I got the pleasure of seeing the Snowbirds perform here, at the Gatineau Airshow a couple weeks ago. Made me feel like a little kid again (when I used to see a lot more airshows in Victoria) and was quite fun. Even with a lot of rain and cold. Enjoy them at the Edmonton Airshow!

(Used my binoculars as a zoom for my camera)

Last edited by Channing; 10-05-2017 at 12:05 PM.