Thread: Upgrade Challenges - and suggestions

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Default Upgrade Challenges - and suggestions

Hello all!

As of today, vBulletin 4.2.3 is up. This is the last release on v4. I will upgrade to version 5 sometime tonight.

This thread will be to capture your suggestions as to what you would like to see. You can also PM me. My email is down until I fully complete this upgrade.

So, ask away.
    Ow

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Ok, the host is going to upgrade my server right now!

Here we go. I will have to go offline for a bit.

See you all in a couple hours!!
    Ow

C2E Long Term Contributor

The Search function doesn't appear to be working, but I'm sure it will get sorted out with all these upgrades and such.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I hope we can get the 'thanks' option working again as I found that option very useful.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

The "thank you hack" caused one of the 4.x upgrades to crater.

With the coming upgrade to 5.x, I will avoid putting in "hacks"/widgets until that version is stable.

However, yes ThomasH, it is coming back.
    Ow

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    The Search function doesn't appear to be working, but I'm sure it will get sorted out with all these upgrades and such.
    Thanks for letting me know. Rebuilding the index now. Try again in a couple of hours.
    Ow

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Have you explored adding ads to help with costs? How about a subscription service or donations?

C2E Continued Contributor

Is vBulletin a final solution? Not sure if you've explored other newer options or not?

The new upgrade, even version 4, is quite a bit faster than the previous. Kudos.
    Last edited by Moodib; 27-06-2016 at 10:05 AM.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

@Hilman, yes, I have. The original concept was to keep the site ad free - Wikipedia for example. This was the intent to continue to demonstrate that the site was autonomous. I will review that in light of recent comments. I may even have an ad version for those who lurk/don't subscribe (whatever a subscription means), and then an ad free for those that do subscribe. The key was always to have this not beholden to the censorship/editing pressures I ran into early on. Just because you sponsor/donate/subscribe, it doesn't mean you have editorial control.

@Moodib, yes, I have. While there is a group of "free" boards and CMS's out there, often you get what you pay for. This upgrade with customer support was hairy enough, I can't imagine a "free" site. With the other sites (IP Boards et al), they are a nice set up, but many have a fee for each widget, content, etc. Plus, there was a hefty conversion fee. In the end, given how absolutely old this code was, and the amount of history stored, I took the most prudent and safest route with this data. I stayed with vB. Even with that decision, it was a hairy experience. Synching up php versions, with database versions, and OS versions was bad. Then all the customizations started causing error after error after error. Hence, you see the very vanilla site launch you see. The data, user ID's, and history were the #1 thing. Pretty logos and site branding took a very secondary role.

That said, I will take the time to see what this can migrate to should there be a better solution. There is even a thought to utilize a local developer's solution.

As for the speed, yes it is definitely faster. It is amazing what 10+ years of code optimization can do! LOL.
    Ow

I recommend having an International Politics forum (along with Municipal, Regional, Provincial and Federal).

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post

@Moodib, yes, I have. While there is a group of "free" boards and CMS's out there, often you get what you pay for. This upgrade with customer support was hairy enough, I can't imagine a "free" site. With the other sites (IP Boards et al), they are a nice set up, but many have a fee for each widget, content, etc. Plus, there was a hefty conversion fee. In the end, given how absolutely old this code was, and the amount of history stored, I took the most prudent and safest route with this data. I stayed with vB. Even with that decision, it was a hairy experience. Synching up php versions, with database versions, and OS versions was bad. Then all the customizations started causing error after error after error. Hence, you see the very vanilla site launch you see. The data, user ID's, and history were the #1 thing. Pretty logos and site branding took a very secondary role.

That said, I will take the time to see what this can migrate to should there be a better solution. There is even a thought to utilize a local developer's solution.

As for the speed, yes it is definitely faster. It is amazing what 10+ years of code optimization can do! LOL.
    Fair enough - forums are a pain to migrate regardless of the solution that is out there. Tables never sync perfectly and if you use plugins and customizations, well, it adds hours to whatever solution you choose.

I suggested Discourse once before - well, once here, and once via email (which may have got lost in oblivion with the downtime) - one for the functionality, two, because there are both free AND paid options (hosted) if you chose to migrate and it was a PITA going the free route.

vB does offer a DIY type of mechanism though, which I'm sure is appealing, to an extent. At some point though, if the headaches continue, and you need the customization, the aforementioned solution does allow you to just dump it in their lap and save the headaches.

Regardless of what you choose to do, I appreciate the effort and time that you spend on this.

I'd love to see a revamped set of posting guidelines, along with a clearer explanation of what is & isn't expected in terms of moderation (along with a little transparency about who is & isn't a moderator). With all the hard work put into the site the last thing I want to see happen is C2E fall back into the same poor posting habits that were dragging down the level of discourse & discussion on the site.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Working on that.
    Ow

It would be nice to see something a bit more basic and flat for those with less than stellar connections. Something like http://themeforest.net/item/metro-a-...-suite/3555714

Even if it is simply an option for people to switch to.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

I'm looking at just that. Multiple styles to choose from...low bandwidth to high bandwidth options.
    Ow

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    I'm looking at just that. Multiple styles to choose from...low bandwidth to high bandwidth options.
    Great to hear. I think if people learn to use the reputation system a bit more, it could replace the thanks button, although, it isn't quite as prominent - since it just a star on the left hand site. Don't know if you could CSS/HTML code some text in or not. I've noticed a few people have used it nonetheless though.

Looking forward to version 5 when you get it stable!

I'm absolutely LOVING the reputation system & wouldn't want to go back to the old "thanks" button.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    I'm absolutely LOVING the reputation system & wouldn't want to go back to the old "thanks" button.
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to noodle again." Sounds kinda dirty.

Just find someone to kick in the shins before giving me another high five! I wouldn't want you to turn into a yesman (or should that be Hilman?)

I'd rather C2E than work!

Didn't even know about the reputation system. Good to know.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Looks like the updated thanks button mod is here - http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...50#post2249550 - overall thread is here - http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...31666&page=242.

The first link is to the updated mod for the newest version of v4 though I believe if you did wish to implement this.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Is there away to keep the subscriptions folder empty ? It would make posting a one step process instead of four step process it is now if a person doesn't want to get emails.

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

I don't get emails because I have my subscriptions default set to "Through my control panel only". The setting is under "Default Thread Subscription Mode" in General Settings.

Thanks EveB.

Not sure where to post this but using Microsoft Edge browser (came force loaded along with Windows 10 "upgrade" (sigh) I am having trouble posting on this board. When I try to reply to threads a text box opens up but won't allow me to go in. Cursor will not display in box. Cannot type in box. End up refreshing, trying it again, and occasionally I can type in box. usually it just freezes and nothing.

Is there a discussion occurring around this, anybody else having difficulties? Recommendations?

thanks
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Also unable to edit posts, at all. When I hit edit post I can fill in edit but it does not download. just freezes.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Administrator *

Go to this link:

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/profi...do=editoptions

Find Miscellaneous Options. The first option should be to change the message editor interface. Choose Basic Editor or Standard Editor.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Chris. I'll try to edit this one to see if it works.

yeah that works better.

I must not have something installed on my computer as the default wasn't working for me.
    Last edited by Replacement; 01-08-2016 at 01:27 PM. Reason: edit test

One more question. Since I could only run the "standard editor" to post here due to some unknown computer conflicts I have few posting options available, for instance posting pictures, bolding, and with this not being available afaik even with selecting advanced setting. Not sure if theres any way to post pictures just using standard editor.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    One more question. Since I could only run the "standard editor" to post here due to some unknown computer conflicts I have few posting options available, for instance posting pictures, bolding, and with this not being available afaik even with selecting advanced setting. Not sure if theres any way to post pictures just using standard editor.
    If you have the URL of the image you could just manually type in the tags:

[IMG]...[/IMG]

Has the mobile version been disabled? I was getting it on my phone and now I'm not.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Is there a way to embed tweets like you can for pictures or video, some sites use [tweet]xxxxxx[/tweet]?

I've been experiencing quite a few issues with the site over the past few days. Downtime, server not available, stuff like that. Are the Admin's aware?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal