Thread: Sunshine list - 900k to run the WCB?

Default Sunshine list - 900k to run the WCB?

I think its a well known secret that the PC's were overpaying their personal friends left, right, and center (all part of the old boys network that ran this province), but the extent of it is quite mind boggling. Sure, pay people what they are worth, and for the value they bring, but this all seems a bit extreme:

Some executive and board pay is goofily extravagant. How about nearly $900,000 for the CEO of the Workers’ Compensation Board? And yet, other people in this largely volunteer sector (monks, evidently) don’t take any pay at all.

One poster child for recklessness is the Agriculture Financial Services Corp., whose board and three top officials were suspended by the NDP June 14 — with pay — after allegedly improper dealings by the executives with suppliers, as well as misuse of expenses.

Brad Klak, the president and managing director, was being paid $610,700, plus $121,371 in other compensation, for a total of $732,000.
    http://news.nationalpost.com/full-co...nd-commissions

The list is here:

http://www.alberta.ca/public-sector-...disclosure.cfm

Personally, I think 125k is a bit low for disclosure (that's not much more than the average family income in Alberta) - its almost as if wanted to bury the more outrageous issues of boards voting themselves big pay rises, in data.

PS. not sure why they named this list after Sun newspaper models, its not quite as titillating.
    Last edited by moahunter; 27-06-2016 at 11:11 AM.

Disgusting really. IMO government employees should never make that much $$ regardless of position. Cap it at 120K. This way you get people in the profession who actually want to serve and help others, not get filthy rich. Save that for private enterprise. To have less than a dozen public employees of one agency make over 3million a year is sickening. WCB is disgusting on the way they handle people and I can see the frustrations people have with them. This wont improve relations
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Cap it at 120k? You want bottom feeders running public organizations? You'd lose most IT jobs at 120k cap, let alone directors and executives.

WCB might have problems with the way they handle people - that's a separate issue, let's not mix them up.

It might make sense to have guidelines, like pay scales. I don't know what they should be, but it could for example, be based on number of employees.

Maybe it tops out at, say, 600k, and then scales back, with a smaller government owned entity CEO making between 300 to 400k. Something like that.

CEO / President should be well rewarded, but there are benefits to being in the public service, especially in a top dog role, if nothing else, just in terms of your career progression, so it doesn't have to be a perfect market rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Cap it at 120k? You want bottom feeders running public organizations? You'd lose most IT jobs at 120k cap, let alone directors and executives.

WCB might have problems with the way they handle people - that's a separate issue, let's not mix them up.
    120K is a number I pulled out of midair. The point im trying to make is people in public service shouldnt be in public services to 'get rich'. They should be in it to help the people / citizens. The prime minister of this country makes 330K a year. We honestly are trying to justify that the WBC executives deserve more than the man who runs our country? Its mind boggling.
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post

120K is a number I pulled out of midair. The point im trying to make is people in public service shouldnt be in public services to 'get rich'. They should be in it to help the people / citizens. The prime minister of this country makes 330K a year. We honestly are trying to justify that the WBC executives deserve more than the man who runs our country? Its mind boggling.
    In a good year I can make a lot more than $120k and I'm not remotely qualified to manage an organization. Is $900k extreme? Yup. Is $300-400k? Nope.

CEO's and Prime Ministers are very different things. Comparing corporate and politician income is silly. There are virtually no qualifications to being a politician other than winning a popularity contest.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

People aren't in public services to get rich, they are there to earn a fair wage(like anyone else in the world) that is comparable to what they can get in the open market (private sector). We we don't pay good wages, we won't attract good talent to run these things.

The prime minister makes 330 k a year, half tax free. Makes a pretty big difference, WCB CEO doesn't get tax free money, and other benefits.

Yes, I think 900 k for the CEO for WCB is absurd, and definitely much too high, but my main issue was "we should cap everyone at 120 k" 900 k is far over what other CEOs in similar positions make with similar responsibilitys in other provinces.

Everyone and every position is different, and imposing a broad cap on everyone is stupid. These things should be reviewed yearly and compared to similar positions in the market place.... which most of them already are...

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

I remember being on a teleconference regarding post-secondary student affairs where one of the people went on and on about how well professors get paid. The unreasonable salary they quoted happened to match my salary (I stayed quiet through this). I do a skilled job but I don't have a PhD.

It's hard to compare the salary of the Prime Minister (or even President of the U.S.) because those jobs have a lifestyle embedded in them which has a monetary cost but is not directly included in the published figure.