Thread: Sourdough Raft Race 2016 - get involved!!!

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Sourdough Raft Race 2016 - get involved!!!

Edmonton's annual raft race hopes to attract more participants, spectators

CLARE CLANCY

Rafting enthusiasts are hoping to shore up support this year for the annual Sourdough Raft Race on the North Saskatchewan River.

Teams are encouraged to build watercraft and compete for prizes.

Leon Comer, treasurer for the Sourdough Raft Race Association, said Alberta’s economic downturn has “taken its toll” on the event, which began in 1960.

“We don’t have as many corporate rafts as we used to have,” he said. “But (otherwise) the race really hasn’t changed.”

He said 10 rafts are expected in the 2016 race.

“One time, we had 200 rafts,” he said. “The park was just lined with rafts.”

Association president Ken Evasiw said the rafts have “evolved.”

“We’re starting to see an interesting trend toward technology being integrated into the rafts … things like flat-panel displays and solar-powered motors.”

One of this year’s racers, Kayla Handfield, who is also on the association board, said despite its long history, many people don’t know about the race.

http://edmontonjournal.com/entertain...nts-spectators
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Did anyone go or take part this year? We really should get this event bulked up and make it a real celebration of the river each year.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

There was a Sourdough Raft Race this weekend?

I heard nothing about it. No promotion, no media, no nothing. I suppose it got lost in the shuffle with K Days, Taste of Edmonton, Slide The City and other events.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'd rather C2E than work!

Top_Dawg spotted three rafts in the river when he was crossing the High Level on Saturday.

They were probably the very last stragglers because it was later in the afternoon and there was an EPS boat trolling behind them.

Any royal cox of C2E planning to captain an entry next year ?

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Did anyone go or take part this year? We really should get this event bulked up and make it a real celebration of the river each year.
    No - totally slipped my mind, and as SDM says, I heard nothing about it in the media. Sounds like it needs a really good promoter, and maybe a boost to the prize money. It used to be really competitive in the old days.