Thread: User Reputations

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Default User Reputations

All,

While the user reputation function is enabled, that does not mean it is a method to abuse it, or other posters.

I can see who said what, and to whom.

I will delete any reputation comments that are abusive.

I will check daily.

If abuse continues, I will suspend the user.

Critical thinking and comments are OK, but there is no need to add on insults and threats.

Admin.
    Ow

Awwww nuts.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Personally I think the system should be shut off. Or, the reputation comments should not be anonymous. It's ripe for abuse as it currently works.

I probably get more negative reputation than most on this site, what with me being a polarizing figure for some reason & I'm perfectly fine with the anonymous jabs taken at me through the existing system. Better there than in the threads derailing the actual discussion with duelling ad hominem attacks.

There's some thin & salty skin on this site, it seems.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Personally I think the system should be shut off. Or, the reputation comments should not be anonymous. It's ripe for abuse as it currently works.
    I'd be just as well without it too.

The "thank post" function was much better.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    I'd be just as well without it too.

The "thank post" function was much better.
    At this point I agree, the "thank post" feature was better. The reputation system is too opaque to be useful.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

The "thank post" function was pointless ego stroking. The closest thing to "feedback" it provided was letting the rest of the site know how many of IanO's posts Hilman had read.

I'm guessing those most salty about the new system are those who are "unexpectedly" receiving a lot of negative feedback. The new system is the only way to show you aren't in agreement with someone without the yesmen & groupthink attempting to shout you down.

Love the new system. Love it so much.

Feedback is amazing hahaha. Can I look at all my feedbacks or only the most recent one. 'Casual Sexism' is my first feedback/complaint
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

Would be nice to see who is giving the reputations... I'm receiving both positive and negative feedback on the same posts...

Keep it coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Would be nice to see who is giving the reputations... I'm receiving both positive and negative feedback on the same posts...

Keep it coming!
    I like it secretive! Its the equivalent of Internet Tough Guys for negative rep and White Knight Syndrome for positive rep.
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    The "thank post" function was pointless ego stroking.
    Thank you for posting that. LOL

Thank you post was good because it saved a lot of needless posts for people who agree with a poster.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

^ Yeah. My thank you's were mostly a replacement for the <AOL>Me Too!</AOL> from former days.

C2E Continued Contributor

I think if the reputation system is to be used as a primary system - it needs to be a little bit more pronounced than a tiny star. Unless you're hovering your mouse on everything, you're not really going to know what it is for. Whether that is adding some HTML to make it pronounced or moving it a little bit remains to be seen though.

In its current state, it seems to be more of an after thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post

Thank you post was good because it saved a lot of needless posts for people who agree with a poster.
    This was my thought, although if there was something more like an upvote/downvote with total score, that would be even better. It works quite well on sites like ArsTechnica. The way they have it has the benefit of below a certain threshold post content will be hidden (although still accessible). Trolling posts and their responses tend to get buried pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    This was my thought, although if there was something more like an upvote/downvote with total score, that would be even better. It works quite well on sites like ArsTechnica. The way they have it has the benefit of below a certain threshold post content will be hidden (although still accessible). Trolling posts and their responses tend to get buried pretty fast.
    Given that the definition of "troll" on C2E is "person I disagree with", combined with the groupthink & hive mind tendencies of the site & the last thing we need is a system where valid, dissenting opinions can be hidden under the guise of moderation.

I experienced one of those system (the Soylent discussion group which is Discourse). The posts were merely hidden from open view. If you pushed a down arrow, you could see the actual post. Half the time, when I pushed the down arrow, I reached over for my jug of mind bleach because the posts were really foul and off-topic. I rather liked the system.

If I wanted C2E to be a reddit clone I'd not have donated to keep C2E...

downvotes you based on hivemind/groupthink downvoting you.

I think the entire point of a site like this is to bring together often disparate viewpoints to discuss issues. We shouldn't moderate away disagreement, even if it is heated. Save moderation for name calling and abuse, not downvotes.

Where I've seen the system in use down votes are more on tone and decorum than dissent. The result is typically more substantive debate and fewer flame wars.

upvoting/downvoting will just further the hive mind here.

Everywhere I have seen the "down vote" system in place, it is used almost exclusively to push down opinions you don't like. And given the short fuse of many posters on this site, I'd wager it would get the same result.

I sort of like reading all the negative feedback, maybe I'll learn something from it, maybe I won't, its sort of fun though.
    Last edited by moahunter; 11-07-2016 at 05:25 PM.

I think that's a bit rough, I don't think whether someone donated or not should influence what is right or wrong for the site.

I wasn't saying anything of the sort moa. I'm not trying to get clout by my having donated. I was simply stating that I donated because I found value in C2E's unique community & moving to a more reddit-esque user moderation system would diminish that.

It must be so tiring for you to always have to figure out the worst possible interpretation of what people say & then react to that.

^my bad for misunderstanding, fair enough.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

This came standard delivered.

I will turn it off.

There is no intent for user based moderation. Reputation is not going to promote or demote your standing, nor would it get you suspended or banned.
    Ow

Does post count add anything as well?

Administrator *

No. The only thing your post count affects is the line underneath your Username. But really your post count is just a post count.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

You are not your post count.
    Ow

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    This came standard delivered.

I will turn it off.

There is no intent for user based moderation. Reputation is not going to promote or demote your standing, nor would it get you suspended or banned.
    I'm hitting that invisible Thanks button again!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Long Term Contributor

Oh and I've noticed that chrisvazquez is now an Administrator - congrats!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Alrighty! Back to calling a spade a spade in the actual threads.

Can we please shut off the post count & the inane titles next?

Alrighty! Back to calling a spade a spade in the actual threads.

Can we please shut off the post count & the inane titles next?
    I trust administration on what they want or don't want. You come off as a little bit of a whiner imo. I f you don't like the site maybe create your own and you can lay it out as how you see fit.
    live for happiness because without it everything seems ho hum

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

People asked for the post count and ranks.

They really mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. A post count shouldn't be taken as a measure of seniority. Your opinion is no less valid with 1 post vs 100,000.
    Ow

Which is a good thing for me. I cancel at least half of the posts I start to type.

The people with the high post counts are the ones who regularly destroy threads with versions of Monty Python's Argument Sketch.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The people with the high post counts are the ones who regularly destroy threads with versions of Monty Python's Argument Sketch.
    I vehemently disagree!

Just have a look at the Pint thread antics to prove Paul correct.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Oh brother. "Antics" indeed.

I have no clue why so many people whose opinions aren't universal feel the compunction to label those on the other side rabble-rousers or trolls or whatever other form of malcontent. Is it really so difficult to conceive of a world where other people may have other viewpoints that are every bit as informed by their life & observations & experiences as yours are? Other people may have other priorities, hopes, ambitions and aspirations for themselves & the city than you may have, though just because they may be incompatible or otherwise incongruous with your own that doesn't mean they don't contribute or that they don't love this city just as much as you do.

(Queue the people accusing me of being a massive hypocrite for having written this, without even trying to take a single word of it to heart, because I am who I am & therefore disregarded, proving my point. )

The lack of empathy & ridiculous amount of selfish self-righteousness that goes on here is the single biggest issue facing the site. Arguments get more & more heated as both sides think that the other side is being intentionally obtuse or disagreeable.

(I was hoping that being specifically called out by RichardS during his interview on TV might have caused a moment of reflection for the suffocating hivemind Downtown-uber-alles contingent, but I guess it rolled off like water off a duck's back.)

The problem I see is not one of people disagreeing with each other, rather the problem is when the back forth is just the same statements/attacks being repeated. Once the various points have been made, if the participants aren't budging from their positions, there is little value left in the thread. The value becomes vanishingly small when people are attacking rather than discussing.

I was initially interested in the Pint thread however it quickly fell into two camps slagging each other with a mass of posts that is tedious to read. Too bad as there are some interesting issues at play that could be discussed and some intelligent thoughtful posts. The problem is finding those in the avalanche of facile attacks that is most of the posts isn't worth the effort.

I agree with you Paul. The Pint is a perfect example. Some posters are really swinging the mud at IanO rather than the issue.

It is difficult to get people to change. At least in Canada we don't have the Republican vs Democrats with all their entrenched positions. In the US you are deine as R or D.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I vehemently disagree!
    Oh gawd...now the whole sketch is in my head...

The problem I see is not one of people disagreeing with each other, rather the problem is when the back forth is just the same statements/attacks being repeated. Once the various points have been made, if the participants aren't budging from their positions, there is little value left in the thread. The value becomes vanishingly small when people are attacking rather than discussing.

I was initially interested in the Pint thread however it quickly fell into two camps slagging each other with a mass of posts that is tedious to read. Too bad as there are some interesting issues at play that could be discussed and some intelligent thoughtful posts. The problem is finding those in the avalanche of facile attacks that is most of the posts isn't worth the effort.
    That's an issue in any forum you get on. The key is to eventually stop paying attention when the did not/do too arguments take place, and look for a new username interjecting in there. At least...that's what I do. There are gems to behold, you just have to dig through a lot of manure at times. This was a thought when the user reputation was delivered standard...try to find a way to get through the manure and find the nuggets that are gold and not corn. I haven't had time to implement it well.
    Onward and upward

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    I vehemently disagree!
    Oh gawd...now the whole sketch is in my head...

That's an issue in any forum you get on. The key is to eventually stop paying attention when the did not/do too arguments take place, and look for a new username interjecting in there. At least...that's what I do. There are gems to behold, you just have to dig through a lot of manure at times. This was a thought when the user reputation was delivered standard...try to find a way to get through the manure and find the nuggets that are gold and not corn. I haven't had time to implement it well.
    Rumours that I would rather C2E than work have been greatly exaggerated. There are only so many hours in the day.

I agree there are good comments but there's a threshold after which there is so much chafe it's not worth the time to find the wheat. Fortunately I would say the problem only really occurs on a few threads on certain hot button issues so there's still plenty of good debate in other threads on other topics.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

It's the same half dozen posters getting in to mud slinging in every thread. Typically I'll say my piece and back out, unless I see something specifically worth addressing further.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post

Further to my earlier post

I miss the "thank post" function because I want to agree with a previous post but as soon as you send a new post, two other people made comments and if you just say you "I agree with what you just said", you are not agreeing with the last post but the one three posts back. Then you need to put quotes into your thank post.

If there are 5 people agreeing with the original post, it makes the thread really really long instead of ONE Thanks post immediately after the original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    People asked for the post count and ranks.

They really mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. A post count shouldn't be taken as a measure of seniority. Your opinion is no less valid with 1 post vs 100,000.
    Ok, I agree

How about that those who contributed financially have a restaurant like rating beside their rank.

$$$$ C2E Super PAC Member
    $$$ C2E Generous Donor
    $$ C2E Supporting Donor
    $ C2E Student Level Donor
    ˘ C2E Cheapskate
    0 C2E Freeloader

LOL

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Hey Richard,

I usually surf C2E logged out and only log in to post something. So, I've got 5 notifications for "Reputation Comments" that I can't clear because you disabled it before I could check them. Any way of getting rid of that or is it something I'm just going to have to suck up?
    Edmonton is a very exciting place to be right now.

Administrator *

I don't think the forum really gives you notifications for anything else, so I would just ignore it. But I have the same problem as well.