Thread: Cost and number of paid park and ride stalls in Edmonton going up

Default Cost and number of paid park and ride stalls in Edmonton going up

Thoughts? Up to 75% of all spots could be paid.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2819566/up...ing-customers/

I'd rather C2E than work!

Given the demand it's a good move. Still cheaper than parking downtown.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Depends where you park. It's pretty much a wash for me, so I'll probably just drive downtown and have my vehicle with me rather than 30+ minutes away for the same price.

Double edged sword. Raise parking rates, lower ridership.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

If the parking lots remain as full as current, is it really a ridership loss?

Only if they raise it too high. Given the waiting lists for spots at $40 I doubt $50 is going to put them under.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

It's taken a while to get to this point, but it's the right step.

Sure some people will drive Downtown and to the Universities and Hospitals instead, but obviously if in large numbers, that's just going to escalate the prices there.

They should make a combined Parking/ETS pass fare option.

And they should make the bus system tolerable as an option for people.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    If the parking lots remain as full as current, is it really a ridership loss?
    Clearly not.

At the end of the day, people live where they live, and occupy themselves where they occupy themselves, and they find the optimal routes for themselves in between.
    Last edited by JayBee; 13-07-2016 at 12:54 AM.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

As someone who doesn't drive and who sees the transit system as her car, I'm not a huge fan of dedicating large plots of land adjacent to stations to parking lots. Out of your suggestions, I really like the "make the bus system tolerable as an option" phrase.

A lot of the park-and-ride community commutes into regular hours office type jobs. I could see that many could potentially be lured in by busses that are scheduled for commutes but don't tour the entire neighborhoods. Perhaps leaving from near the local landmarks and sending them back to them at the end of the day. It's not the entire solution, of course, because there is no entire solution. But perhaps we can keep several thousand cars at their homes during the day.

A lot of my co-workers who transit into work, use their cars for everything else.

South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

I'll skip parking on the city's lot and walk a block or 2 to avoid giving them any extra if need be. If the city wants me to ride and not use my vehicle...DON"T tax me top park at thier LRT station lot. Not a good sell on creating new ridership.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

i think taking a bus from near your house to the LRT is somewhat unrealistic. A drive from my place, to Clareview LRT station is about 15minutes. If i were to take a bus, its about 40min. I think alot of areas around the LRT stations will start seeing more cars when this plan is implemented

And if cars start taking up residential parking, we will likely see residential parking restrictions like those around Century Park that seem to push further and further out every year.

FWIW, the bus from my house in ambleside to Century Park takes about the same amount of time to drive, as the route is very direct.

Council should consider fixing the messed up bus routes before charging for park n ride... or people are just going to drive to downtown/uofa.

(by fixing I mean higher frequency, more direct, less milk run, routes that we've been discussing for years on these forums)

A lot of people I talk to would rather have the certainty of getting a stall these days, and will gladly pay for it.

We'll see how many "a lot" translates to fairly soon, but thinking about those huge tracts of land in terms of revenue is the correct approach.

I think better yet, rather than 1500 parking spaces, that I'd still prefer selling (and taxing) the land for 1500 homes right at the stations, with at very least a timmies as well.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Default Century Park is Now Inefficient

The Closure of the free lots at Century Park is a disaster. It's bad for transit revenues and bad for downtown. Here's why.

That parking area was previously more than 100% efficient. Itís well known that the parking lot fills early and this means that a lot of people are using the train which is what the City wants. However increasingly Iíve noticed a lot of people departing from the train at Century Park in the morning as Iím boarding for downtown. These are nightshift workers. They were using the Century Park parking lot over their nightshift resulting in very efficient use of that space. At other times when there is a hockey game or major concert, I would see a lot of traffic coming in as I depart at the end of my work day. Again this increases the efficiency well beyond 100% and removes cars from downtown, Northlands and now the Ice District. That means that the very expensive train that our tax dollars contributed to is earning fares that it might not otherwise be earning. We can add weekend use to this as well, and since special events could attract people who normally don't go downtown, the access that parking at Century Park provides is an encouragement to use that system. This has now substantially disappeared.

This has all changed. One might think that everything is the same except the City is earning a small fee from parkers. That is incorrect. Regardless of what time I see the prepaid section of Century Park it is at best half full. Clearly some people find the fee low enough to be worth the convenience of assuring them a parking area should they need to use the train. Those empty parking sites are fares that the City does not receive. This means that the investment of my tax dollars is generating less revenue. Some of those lots paid lots will fill up eventually because the IMPARK is still contacting people and issuing parking permits. Even after those paid lots are allowed to be used by those who pay for them the system will be inefficient. The nightshift workers might still find a parking space in the 25% first come first serve area but what about other users? The new arena is now open. Where will the patrons park? Those people who used to drive to Northlands might have been willing to drive to Century Park because in the evening they would have had no difficulty fining a parking space. That is no longer the case because 75% of the parking is reserved on monthly terms. On weekends and evenings that 75% will sit empty. It might have worked if the City had the foresight to allow the paid lots to be reserved from 7:00am to 6:00pm on weekdays only. That would have allowed people to park there for games, concerts and whatever else is happening on evenings and weekends. I expect those people will they drive downtown and deprive the City of a train fare? Maybe they say enough is enough and not even go to the game? I donít know. All I know is that this is inefficient compared to before and it will effect transit use negatively.

This is an interesting viewpoint and is, in fact, something I was curious about when I heard about the reserved parking.

I wonder if there isn't a way to get the benefits of both. I'm not sure how exactly it works but maybe a lower rate for those that come late and leave early, so that those stalls could be dual use.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    I wonder if there isn't a way to get the benefits of both. I'm not sure how exactly it works but maybe a lower rate for those that come late and leave early, so that those stalls could be dual use.
    I think that would be tough to administer. The parking should have been for business hours on weekdays only. It's not as if they would get ticketed because the stall would become free in evenings. I think most people who park there during the day are not the ones who park there in the evenings for events. I've used it on weekends though and it's sad that the parking lot will be largely empty on Saturday and Sunday because of this change. Those people would have gone downtown.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'm confused, the parking website states:

Hours

A monthly parking pass entitles customers to reserved parking from 6am to 5pm on weekdays and statutory holidays. After 5pm on evenings and weekends, the entire lot (including the reserved parking section) opens up to all ETS customers for free use.
    https://www.edmonton.ca/ets/ets-paid-park-and-ride.aspx

Well, that makes a lot more sense from a public policy perspective.

It's just that it doesn't seem to identify stalls that will be reserved but potentially regularly unused when evening packers might typically arrive or want to leave. (If that's an issue at all.)

Here's my thinking. It you had a business where each shift had 100 staff totalling 300 employees (all driving) working 3 punchcard shifts , how much parking would you need?

200 stalls to handle the 100 employees.
    Last edited by KC; 11-09-2016 at 09:36 AM.

Put an ePark machine at the West end of each parking row. Charge $2/car no matter how long they stay for. That way everybody's paying, the city gets the revenue instead of Impark, and each space can generate multiple $2 fees throughout the day. Even if each space is only used once per day, it generates $60/month which is more than they're getting now.