Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Edmonton Police Admit to Owning Stingray Surveillance Device

  1. #1
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,292

    Default Edmonton Police Admit to Owning Stingray Surveillance Device

    Edmonton Police Admit to Owning Stingray Surveillance Device
    http://motherboard.vice.com/read/edm...illance-device

    The Edmonton Police Service owns a controversial surveillance device called a “Stingray” that indiscriminately surveils any cellphone within its multi-kilometre range, a police spokesperson confirmed on Thursday to Motherboard.

    According an emailed statement from police spokesperson Anna Batchelor, Edmonton’s cops have “used the device in the past during investigations,” but would not release any additional details in order to “to protect [Edmonton Police Service] operations.”

    Until now, the only law enforcement in the country known to use the devices was the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, the country’s analogue to the US Federal Bureau of Investigation. These suitcase-sized surveillance tools have been used in the past by the Vancouver and Toronto police, but the Vancouver police have said they borrowed the Stingray from the RCMP, and in Toronto an RCMP technician was on hand, at least in that incident.

    The Edmonton police’s comment to Motherboard is the first time a local police department in Canada has publicly admitted to owning a Stingray device.

    “We are surprised that Edmonton owns a Stingray,” said Micheal Vonn, policy director of the BC Civil Liberties Association. “The picture that we had been formulating was that the expense and the training involved probably meant that the RCMP were providing a service to smaller, municipal police departments.”

    “We have to assume, having made this investment, that they’ve used it more than once,” Vonn continued.

    Stingray devices range in price from tens of thousands of dollars to over one hundred thousand dollars.

    Also known as IMSI catchers, they force any phones within a target radius to connect to the device and transmit identifying information. When a phone is caught by a Stingray, the police obtain the phone and SIM card IDs, as well as its location and service carrier. More recent Stingray devices are capable of intercepting voice and text communications. Stingrays surveil phones indiscriminately, leading some commentators to label them as “mass surveillance” devices.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  2. #2

    Default

    I've always wondered what would happen if say two guys were working on a terrorism play script and privately sending voice or text back and forth to each other to work it out and if got tapped into, would this be a case of a reverse sting on the police, etc.

  3. #3

    Default

    That sucks...
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

  4. #4
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    9,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    I've always wondered what would happen if say two guys were working on a terrorism play script and privately sending voice or text back and forth to each other to work it out and if got tapped into, would this be a case of a reverse sting on the police, etc.
    They'd have to be idiots to not be using a communications app that was encrypted, these days. And absent any backdoors that have been intentionally left for law enforcement, properly encrypted communications are pretty much unbreakable.

  5. #5
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,292

    Default

    EPS Denial aka Nothing to See Here Folks, Move Along:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/edmonton-police-backtrack-on-stringray-surveillance-statement-1.3721648?cmp=rss

    Edmonton police are backtracking after admitting to using a StingRay, a controversial surveillance device that can indiscriminately eavesdrop on any cellphone within its range.

    In an article published last week by Motherboard, a subsidiary of Vice Media, EPS police spokesperson Anna Batchelor was quoted as saying, "I'm able to confirm the Edmonton Police Service owns a StingRay device and has used the device in the past during investigations."
    However, EPS has since issued a statement to CBC News calling that initial statement a "miscommunication."

    "There was some miscommunication/misunderstanding internally surrounding the information obtained on whether the EPS owns a StingRay, and in fact, the EPS does not own a Stingray device," the statement read.

    "Police agencies do not comment on equipment used in electronic surveillance or on investigative techniques, therefore the EPS cannot provide any further information on this topic."

    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  6. #6

    Default

    "I have nothing to hide so I have no problem with being spied on all the time" - Morons
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    EPS Denial aka Nothing to See Here Folks, Move Along:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/edmonton-police-backtrack-on-stringray-surveillance-statement-1.3721648?cmp=rss

    Edmonton police are backtracking after admitting to using a StingRay, a controversial surveillance device that can indiscriminately eavesdrop on any cellphone within its range.

    In an article published last week by Motherboard, a subsidiary of Vice Media, EPS police spokesperson Anna Batchelor was quoted as saying, "I'm able to confirm the Edmonton Police Service owns a StingRay device and has used the device in the past during investigations."
    However, EPS has since issued a statement to CBC News calling that initial statement a "miscommunication."

    "There was some miscommunication/misunderstanding internally surrounding the information obtained on whether the EPS owns a StingRay, and in fact, the EPS does not own a Stingray device," the statement read.

    "Police agencies do not comment on equipment used in electronic surveillance or on investigative techniques, therefore the EPS cannot provide any further information on this topic."

    Rent, lease, borrow... have relations with?

    Now, how about drones, they're cool tools too.

  8. #8
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    Agreed... 1984 anybody?

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    EPS Denial aka Nothing to See Here Folks, Move Along:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/edmonton-police-backtrack-on-stringray-surveillance-statement-1.3721648?cmp=rss

    Edmonton police are backtracking after admitting to using a StingRay, a controversial surveillance device that can indiscriminately eavesdrop on any cellphone within its range.

    In an article published last week by Motherboard, a subsidiary of Vice Media, EPS police spokesperson Anna Batchelor was quoted as saying, "I'm able to confirm the Edmonton Police Service owns a StingRay device and has used the device in the past during investigations."
    However, EPS has since issued a statement to CBC News calling that initial statement a "miscommunication."

    "There was some miscommunication/misunderstanding internally surrounding the information obtained on whether the EPS owns a StingRay, and in fact, the EPS does not own a Stingray device," the statement read.

    "Police agencies do not comment on equipment used in electronic surveillance or on investigative techniques, therefore the EPS cannot provide any further information on this topic."

    Rent, lease, borrow... have relations with?

    Now, how about drones, they're cool tools too.
    Cripes, EPS can't even properly communicate whether they even have this StingRay thingy or not. If this failure in communication is indicative one wonders if they do have a StingRay do they know how to use it?.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •