Thread: Tragically Hip final concert to be on CBC Aug 20

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default Tragically Hip final concert to be on CBC Aug 20

In Kingston, naturally. Aug 20th I believe. A must watch. Anyone else going to take the time?

Saw them back on July 30th @ Rexall, emotional evening. Definitely going to watch them one more time. I hope that it also comes out on BluRay.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

I'd rather C2E than work!

I'd be shocked if they weren't doing some kind of documentary for release later as well.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

I'll be going out to watch it.

Too bad Ticketmaster prevented most people from being able to see this Concert live. Already have one of their DVD's we'll see how good this CBC recording is. The DVD "That night in Toronto" is an underwhelming, acoustically poor recording and lacks the kind of punch that was an early hallmark of this band. jmo
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E SME

I'll definitely be watching. I wasn't able to make the Edmonton shows due to an already booked trip, which I was pretty disappointed about. I've seen them close to 10 times, so it's not like I'll be missing out on the only opportunity to see them. But I'd really have liked to have seen them on this final tour. Then again, maybe it's for the best. No one wants to see a grown man bawling in public while singing really, really poorly.

Yeah, it's going to be one emotional evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Too bad Ticketmaster prevented most people from being able to see this Concert live. Already have one of their DVD's we'll see how good this CBC recording is. The DVD "That night in Toronto" is an underwhelming, acoustically poor recording and lacks the kind of punch that was an early hallmark of this band. jmo
    It is not that big of an arena, probably around 5,000.

Just a reminder, this is this evening!

C2E SME

Great show!
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Gord's voice is OK, but he is singing REALLY off key. Such a shame, because I'm finding it hard to listen to.

Whatever. It was a magical evening. Kudo's to CBC for putting on a wonderful production.

It was a really good set list, I thought.

First 4 songs on the night from Fully Completely. Waiting all night for 38 years old but realized as the gig went on, in todays PC climate it probably wouldn't happen.

What a wonderful show

Excellent show. I also very pleased with the quality of CBC's stream. HD and nary a flicker.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Gord's voice is OK, but he is singing REALLY off key. Such a shame, because I'm finding it hard to listen to.
    It was not good at all, we found it very noisy and out of tune. I watched the first 20 minutes, then shut it down. I wasn't a great fan of their music. happy for his fans though

Quote Originally Posted by hello lady View Post
    It was not good at all, we found it very noisy and out of tune. I watched the first 20 minutes, then shut it down. I wasn't a great fan of their music. happy for his fans though
    Given he recently had brain surgery, weeks of chemo, and is still suffering from terminal cancer I would have been surprised if he didn't sound rough. I thought he sounded great all things considered.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Given he recently had brain surgery, weeks of chemo, and is still suffering from terminal cancer I would have been surprised if he didn't sound rough. I thought he sounded great all things considered.
    Its really sad that this is the case, and I've seen some concert footage of the most recent tour on youtube and agree its hard for him now to sing. To me Gord hasn't sounded the same for a longtime and including a tendency to yell out lyrics rather than sing them in the last decade.

meh, for me Hip could have closed up shop around the millennium. I liked the rocker version of the band, not so much the Gord as Lightfoot renditions he's been shooting for a couple of decades. Not to denounce either and it certainly has its place in Canadiana.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post

You have your opinion, I will have mine..okay?

Millions watch Tragically Hip live on CBC

The CBC's broadcast and livestreaming of The Tragically Hip: A National Celebration concert reached 11.7 million people on Saturday night, according to preliminary audience figures.
    The commercial-free special presentation was carried live on radio and TV and was streamed live online via the CBC's website, apps, YouTube channel and Facebook page.

The show allowed people to watch and listen to the last concert of the iconic Canadian band's Man Machine Poem tour, from the group's hometown of Kingston, Ont. The tour was announced after lead singer Gord Downie revealed he has terminal brain cancer.

The TV broadcast alone averaged four million viewers.

"It was an honour and a privilege for CBC to bring this unprecedented event to audiences across the country and around the world. This is public broadcasting at its very best," said Heather Conway, CBC's executive vice-president of English services.

"For nearly three hours on a summer Saturday night, an entire nation paused to celebrate and pay tribute together. Thank you to Gord, Paul, Rob, Gord and Johnny for an intimate and unforgettable shared experience."

The Tragically Hip — frontman Downie plus guitarist Paul Langlois, guitarist Rob Baker, bassist Gord Sinclair and drummer Johnny Fay — kicked off the tour in Victoria on July 22.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/tragic...ings-1.3730276

C2E Long Term Contributor

Gord Downie Fund for Brain Cancer Research
    https://donate.sunnybrook.ca/braincancerresearch
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Jeepers, even KTLA News in Los Angeles ran a spot on the gig.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

I will make a bold statement and claim that Gord Downie is a better lyricist and poet than Leonard Cohen.

I will make a bold statement and claim that Gord Downie is a better lyricist and poet than Leonard Cohen.
    The Tragically Hip have certainly been much more relevant in the past couple of decades and Cohen's height of fame predates The Hip. But Cohen's work is much better known internationally and has been covered by far more artists and garners much respect amongst his peers and critics. The Hip are relative unknowns outside of Canada.

But I don't think one can argue that The Hip have occupied a larger part in the hearts of Canadians. They have written songs with references to Canadians and to places within Canada and their songs often offer unique perspectives. Better? Probably not but certainly well loved and admired amongst Canadians and deservedly so.

Gord Downie's Secret Path album and graphic novel comes out Oct 18, CBC animated special on Oct 23

CBC interview:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/gord-d...onal-1.3802222
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Watched Gord's interview tonight on CBC news with Gordon Mansbridge. Luckily he's not suffering any pain but he has problems with his memory. Sad to watch.

Gord has now passed and just a reminder that 1/3 Canadians watched the final concert.

And yeah Norwood, I've seen that interview more than once.
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

new Hip documentary "Long Time Running" airs on CTV tonight at 8 PM.