Thread: Edmonton Hundred

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Edmonton Hundred

Edmonton was an ancient hundred in the north of the county of Middlesex, England. Its former area has been mostly absorbed by the growth of London and it now corresponds to the London Borough of Enfield and parts of the London Borough of Barnet and London Borough of Haringey in Greater London and the Hertsmere district in Hertfordshire.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton_Hundred
    i thought this is interesting.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Cheers, Glenco. In 'England's green and pleasant land' and all that, Edmonton has become a bit of a hole these days.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Coincidentally, the other day I was googling "Edmonton Jewish cemetery", looking for info on the place on 101st Ave, and the top articles that came up were about a similarly named establishment in the UK Edmonton. I gather the one in London is a fairly prominent institution.

^^I knew we got the name from England I was just curious about the name Edmonton Hundred. Seems to have been a name for a municipal district.

The hundreds of England declined in administrative use because of the rise of various ad-hoc boards. By 1894 they were effectively replaced by a system of uniform local government districts, which were consolidated over time and finally replaced in 1965/1974 by the London boroughs and non-metropolitan districts which are still in use today.
    Last edited by Glenco; 25-08-2016 at 08:37 PM.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

The London version of Edmonton is close to an IKEA - the scene of the infamous "IKEA Riot" when it opened in 2005:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/riot-...e-7085391.html

The word 'hundred' the way it is mentioned in the 'Edmonton Hundred' means basically or 100 lots of land (enough to sustain 100 families). Districts were divided up into 'hundred' sections. Edmonton U K must have consisted of 100 lots or farms before it was swallowed up by the big city.

http://www1.somerset.gov.uk/archives...irehundred.htm
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

^Thanks. Nothing has changed really. It is all about collecting taxes.