Thread: Massive Shaw Disruption

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Massive Shaw Disruption

Around 11:50 this morning Shaw's services went down for part of Edmonton. Apparently I was the first to report it, which is always fun with Shaw:

"Hey, all my Shaw services are down."

-"We don't have any reports of issues."

"Woohoo, I'm first!"

-"Well, we don't have any reports of problems in your area."

"Okay... consider this a report of problems."

-"Oh... I'm pinging your neighbourhood and there appears to be a problem with our services."

DUH!

Someone on Twitter reported that one of Shaw's major connections was cut and the copper was taken. Shaw has since posted this as an update:

"UPDATE 5:15 PM MT: We appreciate your continued patience during this interruption at this time. Fibre damage in the area has been confirmed for affected customers. Our Fibre Technicians are currently working with local repair teams and assets to prepare for repairs. During this time, our Network Analysts have been able to divert/reroute some of our network traffic for our Business and Residential customers to mitigate impact. Due to the nature of of this situation, we are unable to provide an estimated time of completion. We are closely monitoring this issue in the area, and will be providing relevant updates to the repair status. "

I'll be calling them to ask for a credit. I've been unable to do any work today because of this issue. Hey, they keep raising their prices... time to give a little bit back.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

My Mom just called me about this. She lives in Hazeldean.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

My kids said the EPSB network went down today. Wonder if this is related?

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

How much credit are you expecting when you call them?

Haha, I expect nothing, but I'll ask for $10. They did mention on Twitter that they'll talk to customers about compensation for the downtime once services have been restored.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Thousands affected by early morning power outage caused by copper theft.

This happened in Calgary this morning.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/crime/...y-copper-theft

Was it the same problem for Shaw.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Haha, I expect nothing, but I'll ask for $10. They did mention on Twitter that they'll talk to customers about compensation for the downtime once services have been restored.
    Any time I've had downtime as a result of problems on their end, they offer me a credit prorated for the amount of downtime, ie: if you pay 40 bucks a month for inet, and have one day of downtime, they offer 1.33$. Not really worth waiting on hold for 2 hours askign for credit of that amount.

YRMV, let me know if they offer you anymore than a prorated amount.

They offered me $12 for the loss of my services (internet, phone and cable), which I accepted. I did the online chat, and waited 6 minutes for a connection to someone (I was working away on the computer at the time).