Thread: What would the Conservative party's 'values' screen look like?

Default What would the Conservative party's 'values' screen look like?

There's talk of screening potential immigrants for "Canadian values". I don't know what those are and had we used it over the last century, I wonder if that would have locked us into a set of beliefs that we wouldn't agree with today.

So, thinking along those lines, what if the Conservative party screened all members for its values before allowing membership, what would those values be? Had they been put in place in the 60s or 70s or earlier how would they look today?

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I think it would be mostly generic stuff like "Women are equal" and "Terrorism is bad", meant to single out Muslims and a few other supposedly problematic groups, while maintaining an appearance of neutrality.

And if the values-test had been put in place in the 1970s, you could probably have included the same questions, with no perceived contradiction, even if that era was less progressive than our own. Because people in that era also paid lip service to opposing misogyny and terrorism, whatever the actual facts. Sure, in 1979, you were legally allowed to force sex on your wife(for example), but since most people never really imagined there could be an alternative to that, they just figured they were living in the best of all possible worlds, as far as gender equality went.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

And, FWIW, I don't think values-screening is likely to deter anyone from moving here. I think the target audience for such legislation would be the anti-immigration vote.

It will be a waste of time. The unscrupulous will just lie about their true feelings.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Kellie Leitch is using this dog whistle issue to help get her elected leader. It is playing to people's fear of religious extremists. Hopefully it doesn't work but clearly an immigration screening test is unworkable on a practical basis alone. Leitch is a medical doctor she is smart enough to know this. She doesn't seem like a very smart politician though. This thing is blowing up in her face.

Canadian values have evolved over time regardless of political stripe and therefore if an immigration screening test was created it would need to be changed over time. The Liberals marketed the "Last Best West" to specific western Europeans. It was clearly racist by today's standards.

Seems like this thread was created to pick a fight with social conservatives?
    Last edited by 2cents; 11-09-2016 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
    Kellie Leitch is using this dog whistle issue to help get her elected leader. It is playing to people's fear of religious extremists. Hopefully it doesn't work but clearly an immigration screening test is unworkable on a practical basis alone. Leitch is a medical doctor she is smart enough to know this. She doesn't seem like a very smart politician though. This thing is blowing up in her face.

Canadian values have evolved over time regardless of political stripe and therefore if an immigration screening test was created it would need to be changed over time. The Liberals marketed the "Last Best West" to specific western Europeans. It was clearly racist by today's standards.

Seems like this thread was created to pick a fight with social conservatives?
    Pick a fight with social conservatives? Which ones? Who isn't a social conservative regarding values they themselves practice?

A Conservative party member suggested it for the country so I think it's reasonable to ask 'what ifs' about applying the concept to her own party as well as the idea of locking in sch definitions and how society could change in the interim, or not change as a result of a filtering of immigrants.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Pick a fight with social conservatives? Which ones? Who isn't a social conservative regarding values they themselves practice?

A Conservative party member suggested it for the country so I think it's reasonable to ask 'what ifs' about applying the concept to her own party as well as the idea of locking in sch definitions and how society could change in the interim, or not change as a result of a filtering of immigrants.
    I freely admit that I am a fiscal conservative, wasn't born one, but through 30 years of work, both in the public and private sector, have become one.

I was born in Alberta and have lived here all my life. So my definition of social conservatism is pretty narrow, it is rooted primarily in religion. That's how I define social conservatism in Alberta. If you want to discuss a more broad and historical analyses of social conservatism then that isn't something I am really interested in doing. I have sat through one or two sociology classes in my time and if there is a more useless liberal arts discipline I don't know it.

Since I am not religious my values are not defined by any specific religious doctrine. Although if everyone lived by the golden rule and acknowledged that the 7 deadly sins are probably the most accurate synopsis of human nature around then I think the world would be a greater place.

But you said "what if the Conservative party screened all members for its values before allowing membership, what would those values be?" And then you followed it with a happy face. So what do you think those values would be? I just think the way you have defined the thread is loaded, so just come out and unload on the knuckle draggers in the Conservative Party.

Personally I think Leitch's "Canadian values" test is nonsense for 2 primary reasons. One, how can you tell if someone is telling the truth? And two, people are allowed to believe whatever they want, it is only when they act on those beliefs that problems arise. And we are already screening immigrants records so what good is a test of their beliefs anyways. And I hope the conservative leadership race doesn't spend much time on this and it and moves on to more relevant issues.

The left claims that there are no "Canadian values", yet they are strong advocates for "Canadian culture":

"Going digital is Cancon’s biggest challenge, Heritage Minister says"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ick=sf_globefb

This is a misleading thread title, there is no Conservative party plan for a values screen. Its one candidates idea, which has been denounced by the Conservative party interim leader.

If there was a test though, it would I expect be about human rights - accepting women as equal to men, gays as equal to hetrosexuals, honor killings are barbaric, etc. In other words, all the stuff opposed by religious nuts, but now accepted by many on the left as reasonable approaches (its fine to force or brainwash your daughter / wife to be ashamed of her body / have to hide it), because its Muslim immigrants doing the most of it now in Canada.
    Last edited by moahunter; 13-09-2016 at 09:03 AM.