Thread: High Level Bridge Streetcar

Administrator *

Default High Level Bridge Streetcar

A thread for discussing the High Level Bridge Streetcar. What do you think its future should be? Should it be extended south of Whyte Ave to a new neighbourhood where the rail yards are now? Should it be extended north to MacEwan? Discuss.

And here's a video of the line:

C2E Long Term Contributor

For reference purposes, here's some prior discussions:
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...-can-be-better
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...evel-Streetcar
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...streetcar-ride

My thoughts:
    a) it needs to stop being a hobby horse for retired rail geeks and be made an essential part of the ETS.
    b) it needs to run year-long and with better hours; I'll bet it would still be a decent rush hr commuter
    c) it should be extended all the way to the north side of Whyte Ave - a terminal there would be preferable to a used car lot.
    d) north terminal should be at Jasper Ave or 109 St
    e) If it can be extended further on Whyte and Jasper then I'd be for it, thought that would require a thorough cost/benefit analysis
    f) what it needs right now: improved wayfinding signage
    g) what it needs right now: better promotion
    h) a stop that's closer to 109 St/Sask Dr in the Garneau area should be explored
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Administrator *

^ There's already a stop at 109 Street/Saskatchewan Drive just before the High Level Bridge. I agree with all your points though, this system should become an actual part of the transit system.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Expand it as much as possible. Make it part of the ETS network even if they don't operate it. Those are my first thoughts...
    But, I like how it is now. The fact you can rent it out to make your own unique memories, the fact it uses historical cars.

If there was a way to put in a full time transit line, mixed with what exists now and get pedestrian uses up there as well, wow that would be great and help tie together both sides of the river in a way Edmonton never has really accomplished totally successfully. Having 109st be a continuous mixed use corridor top of bank to top of bank with a giant vista in the middle.

C2E SME

I think the following stations would be great:

(1) Strathcona - Calgary Trail North around 84 Avenue. Ideally, the south terminal should connect with the Whyte Avenue LRT.
    (2) Granite - 107 Street on the tracks (Granite Curling Club). Perhaps a second track could be placed just west to help trains pass.
    (3) Garneau - 109 Street just south of the High Level Bridge.
    (4) Grandin - Grandin Station stop (two tracks), just south of 99 Avenue. The west terminal could connect with Grandin LRT Station. The East Terminal could connect with 109 Street. Hopefully this line can be extended to 107 Street like the LRT plan.

I wonder if the two-car LRT can work.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvazquez7 View Post
    ^ There's already a stop at 109 Street/Saskatchewan Drive just before the High Level Bridge.
    I know, but that stop is too far away from the commercial district there plus not many people know about it. Ideally the stop should be next to the High Level Diner, on the other side next to the Urban Diner, or at the bottom of Strathcona House highrise.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    I think the following stations would be great:

(1) Strathcona - Calgary Trail North around 84 Avenue. Ideally, the south terminal should connect with the Whyte Avenue LRT.
    (2) Granite - 107 Street on the tracks (Granite Curling Club). Perhaps a second track could be placed just west to help trains pass.
    (3) Garneau - 109 Street just south of the High Level Bridge.
    (4) Grandin - Grandin Station stop (two tracks), just south of 99 Avenue. The west terminal could connect with Grandin LRT Station. The East Terminal could connect with 109 Street. Hopefully this line can be extended to 107 Street like the LRT plan.

I wonder if the two-car LRT can work.
    If it was a COE/ETS project, they could get this done in only 6 years plus one year of material delays and another 2 years to test the system, say 2027 at the earliest.

Cost, only $120 million for the feasibility study.

$1.678 billion for a working system...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I would like to have TransEd and the Radial Society partner up and run a demo Flexity train that the Valley Line will use. The city can then use data collected from that to determine the feasibility of running a fully operating line there. it's a win-win.

Administrator *

^ That's a cool idea. I wonder if the voltages are the same or if they would need to upgrade the line's overhead catenary system.

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

To acquire the remains of the roundhouse off CP would be an additional bonus for maintenance and a future starting point for expansion South.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

First One is Always Free

Both the LRT and the High Level Streetcar operate on 600V DC, as did our old trolley buses.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Yup, the High Level Bridge had a prototype Seimens-Duwag streetcar, it was predecessor of the U2 cars, running on it for a few years, it has returned to Germany though
    http://www.edmonton-radial-railway.a.../hannover_601/