Thread: Edmonton Transit Purchasing 30 Foot Buses

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default Edmonton Transit Purchasing 30 Foot Buses

ETS has placed an order for up to forty-five 30 foot buses from Grande West Transportation.

Source:
    http://grandewest.com/node/254

These look larger than community buses but smaller than the regular 40 foot transit buses. Anyone have any idea what these buses will be used for?

I don't know, but I really wouldn't be sad if they replaced the community buses.

They're good if you've swallowed something toxic and need to regurgitate, but they have their weaknesses too.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Calgary has many of these sizes, they are run mostly on the residential-milk-run routes. So I guess it would be an efficiency on ETS to save the larger buses for the major routes - perhaps increasing frequencies with more buses - and run these on the residential ones that the community buses are too small for.

C2E SME

Well I know there probably a few routes that could use smaller busses. This could be a good thing if it helps save on fuel.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Perspective View Post
    Calgary has many of these sizes, they are run mostly on the residential-milk-run routes. So I guess it would be an efficiency on ETS to save the larger buses for the major routes - perhaps increasing frequencies with more buses - and run these on the residential ones that the community buses are too small for.
    Calgary only ever had 24 EZ Rider II's which were a comparable size to these. They weren't too successful and all of them are now retired. Calgary Transit has just started to receive Vicinity's, like Edmonton has ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post
    ETS has placed an order for up to forty-five 30 foot buses from Grande West Transportation.

These look larger than community buses but smaller than the regular 40 foot transit buses. Anyone have any idea what these buses will be used for?
    The overall seating capacity is about the same for one of the Grande West Vicinity's compared to the existing community buses. In fact, the Passport's are about the same length as a Vicinity. 29' for a GMC chassis Passport, 30' for the IC chassis Passport's.

So, no, they are not larger than the exiting community buses. They are however built for a 12 year life cycle rather than the 10 year life cycle of the existing Passport/ Glaval community buses.

The majority of cutaway buses used in transit service, in particular the Arboc's (Calgary, Leduc, Fort Saskatchewan, St. Albert) are only 7 year life cycles.

These Vicinity's will just be used to replace the existing community bus fleet. I don't believe any of the current funding for these buses allow for growth buses, but, that's not to say ETS couldn't get some extra life out of the Passport fleet, but don't expect anything to really change with the way ETS deploys buses. These will still be operated by the community bus operators within ETS (low license class, lower pay).

These buses are built largely in China, although, from the figures from Orangeville, they do contain 21% Canadian content, which is unbelievably actually a higher percentage of Canadian content than New Flyer's MiDi which is their entrant in the 30' bus category.

http://grandewest.com/inthenews/cana...ifferent-route

The capital costs are usually federally and provincially funded. About 70% of ETS operating costs are labour related. The small amount of fuel costs and other material costs are a small percentage, probably 5% IMHO.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.