Thread: Calgary LRT derailment

C2E Continued Contributor

Default Calgary LRT derailment

Anyone hear anything on this? I was too busy to read the article.

Yup, big crash, thankfully nobody killed

http://globalnews.ca/news/2951113/ca...y-lrt-station/
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

This was odd. When I saw the article I tried to picture it. Apparently it isn't the classic derailment of the train leaving the tracks sideways but rather the driver drove that train right past the end of the line at full speed like he didn't register the presence of the station. (Think barrelling through the Century Park station at full speed.)

The one thing is that the system won't be that inconvenienced because they can run the rest of the trains using one of the other stations as an end of line.

Quote Originally Posted by EveB View Post
    This was odd. When I saw the article I tried to picture it. Apparently it isn't the classic derailment of the train leaving the tracks sideways but rather the driver drove that train right past the end of the line at full speed like he didn't register the presence of the station. (Think barrelling through the Century Park station at full speed.)

The one thing is that the system won't be that inconvenienced because they can run the rest of the trains using one of the other stations as an end of line.
    Operator was in her 60's. I wonder if it was a medical issue? Luckily there were only two passengers on board. Though, it's also not a good sign when there are only two passengers on board your absurdly expensive train.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

The driver model in Edmonton/Calgary always makes me nervous relative to the system in Vancouver (which is automated), when older drivers are involved and a medical issue occurs. If this was on a busy section and the train was packed, it could have been far worse.

It makes sense that there were only 2 passengers onboard. This is the terminus station for the NW Line, and it was coming into the station this morning to pickup rush hour commuters heading downtown

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Though, it's also not a good sign when there are only two passengers on board your absurdly expensive train.
    A near empty train heading to the terminal station in the AM peak hour isn't a sign of anything.

Maybe she was too busy text messaging at the time and missed her last stop...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Sounds like Calgary's got an LRT problem. Maybe we should send them some advisors on how to properly build such Mass Transit Infrastructure.

C2E SME

I wonder if something like LRT cameras could work, just in case of an emergency.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    Sounds like Calgary's got an LRT problem. Maybe we should send them some advisors on how to properly build such Mass Transit Infrastructure.
    At least the Metro Line is safe. You know, the go-slow approach to safety...

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EveB View Post

Operator was in her 60's. I wonder if it was a medical issue? Luckily there were only two passengers on board. Though, it's also not a good sign when there are only two passengers on board your absurdly expensive train.
    Medical issue was the first thing I thought of.

Regarding the number of people on the train, when you're reverse commuting that is exactly how it happens. When I had a job that required a downtown to Anderson station commute, there may have been only a few people on the train as we pulled in, but I had to be careful how I left the train or I would have gotten herd trampled!

Edited to add: At the time Anderson was the south terminus station.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    At least the Metro Line is safe. You know, the go-slow approach to safety...
    lol