Thread: Mitchell and Reed Auction house to be demolished, Graphic Arts Building may be moved

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Mitchell and Reed Auction house to be demolished, Graphic Arts Building may be moved

Mitchell and Reed Auction house to be demolished, Graphic Arts Building may be moved

http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonto...building-.html

The Auction house looks to be beyond saving.
    I love the Graphic Arts Building, I pray it is retained.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

http://globalnews.ca/news/2966504/hi...-hall-tuesday/

Former Artery

Graphic Arts Building

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

For all the talk about preserving stuff on these boards, the city tried in vain to find an investor for these properties. Guess what, no takers. Nothing but talk around here
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Did they even have a For Sale sign up?

C2E Continued Contributor
    South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    For all the talk about preserving stuff on these boards, the city tried in vain to find an investor for these properties. Guess what, no takers. Nothing but talk around here
    A shame the graphic arts building couln't be taken to Fort Ed.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

The problem is acting like this is up to private developers to do. This doesnt need to be the case. The city needs to step up in a major way to save what little historic properties we have left. The private sector will not step up because historic preservation is not a money making venture. This does not mean the city shouldnt step up.
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

Administrator *

Quote Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post
    A shame the graphic arts building couln't be taken to Fort Ed.
    Where would it go? Would be a little out of place amongst all the turn-of-the-century buildings. Maybe they should create a new street, the 1950's street, with lots of neon signs and buildings like this.

And there's really nothing to it other than "it's old." The current facade isn't even the original according to the City assessment, built as early as 1913 and re-faced in the 1930s. The whole face could be mapped and recreated; there seems to be nothing else Art Deco about the building other than the face. It does seem structurally stable enough to move some of it - it's had at least 2 additions to the original building over the century - but why?

High Level Analysis on the Feasibility of Maintaining, Moving or Preserving the Graphic Arts Building - Mitchell and Reed Auction House (the "Artery")
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

The 3rd article states that the Graphic Arts building is a rarity on the continent, and the 4th article states it would cost $300G to relocate, $700G to restore.

I can think of some empty lots in downtown, Old Strathcona, 124 St or Alberta Ave where this could fit, if someone has the resources and will.

Unlike many of you, I don't believe that all of our heritage buildings need to be punted off to Fort Edmonton Park or demolished.

C2E Continued Contributor
    South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    The 3rd article states that the Graphic Arts building is a rarity on the continent, and the 4th article states it would cost $300G to relocate, $700G to restore.

I can think of some empty lots in downtown, Old Strathcona, 124 St or Alberta Ave where this could fit, if someone has the resources and will.

Unlike many of you, I don't believe that all of our heritage buildings need to be punted off to Fort Edmonton Park or demolished.
    To be clear, I do not favor demolition. However, if Ft Ed is the only option, I'd rather it saved rather than destroyed.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Who believes that they all should?
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Does the city not have an empty lot they own in the Quarters they could move this beauty to? I find that hard to believe. The cost, while not cheap, is worthwhile. We have given money to all kinds of half baked restoration efforts... why not this one? Personally I am a big fan of the building.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Don't they own the one it is sitting on?

'One-of-a-kind in Edmonton': Community shows love for the Graphic Arts building

Leaving behind odes to the architecture and the history, dozens of Edmontonians turned out this weekend to show their love for the Graphic Arts building in the Quarters, which faces possible demolition.

Local advocacy group Heritage Forward held a ‘heart bomb’ at the two-story building Sunday, inviting residents to share their thoughts on brightly coloured valentines taped to the building’s fading exterior.

“I love it because it’s really one-of-a-kind in Edmonton,” said Dan Rose, a member of Heritage Forward. “It has this really distinct, pronounced expression of the art deco style, with these streamlined, modern features, so architecturally it’s incredibly significant.”