Thread: War Plan Red, The US invasion plans of Canada

Default War Plan Red, The US invasion plans of Canada

It sounds like a joke but it's not. War Plan Red is real. It was drawn up and approved by the War Department in 1930, then updated in 1934 and 1935. It was declassified in 1974 and the word "SECRET" crossed out with a heavy pencil. Now it sits in a little gray box in the National Archives in College Park, available to anybody, even Canadian spies.

The United States government does have a plan to invade Canada. It's a 94-page document called "Joint Army and Navy Basic War Plan -- Red," with the word SECRET stamped on the cover. It's a bold plan, a bodacious plan, a step-by-step plan to invade, seize and annex our neighbor to the north. It goes like this:
    First, we send a joint Army-Navy overseas force to capture the port city of Halifax, cutting the Canadians off from their British allies.
    Then we seize Canadian power plants near Niagara Falls, so they freeze in the dark.
    Then the U.S. Army invades on three fronts -- marching from Vermont to take Montreal and Quebec, charging out of North Dakota to grab the railroad center at Winnipeg, and storming out of the Midwest to capture the strategic nickel mines of Ontario.
    Meanwhile, the U.S. Navy seizes the Great Lakes and blockades Canada's Atlantic and Pacific ports.
    At that point, it's only a matter of time before we bring these Molson-swigging, maple-mongering Zamboni drivers to their knees! Or, as the official planners wrote, stating their objective in bold capital letters: "ULTIMATELY TO GAIN COMPLETE CONTROL."

MORE
    Raiding the Icebox http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/29/AR2005122901412.html

By Peter Carlson
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Friday, December 30, 2005

War Plan Red

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Plan_Red

A key move was a joint U.S. army-navy attack to capture the port city of Halifax, cutting off the Canadians from their British allies. Their next objective was to "seize Canadian Power Plants near Niagara Falls"[5] This was to be followed by a full-scale invasion on three fronts: From Vermont to take Montreal and Quebec, from North Dakota to take over the railhead at Winnipeg, and from the Midwest to capture the strategic nickel mines of Ontario. In parallel, the U.S. Navy was to seize the Great Lakes and blockade Canada’s Atlantic and Pacific ports.[2]
    Zones of operation

The main zones of operation discussed in the plan are:

• Nova Scotia and New Brunswick:
      • Occupying Halifax, following a poison gas first strike, would deny the British a major naval base and cut links between Britain and Canada.
      • The plan considers several land and sea options for the attack and concludes that a landing at St. Margarets Bay, a then undeveloped bay near Halifax, would be superior to a direct assault via the longer overland route.
      • Failing to take Halifax, the U.S. could occupy New Brunswick by land to cut Nova Scotia off from the rest of Canada at the key railway junction in Moncton.

• Quebec and the valley of the Saint Lawrence River:
      • Occupying Montreal and Quebec City would cut the remainder of Canada off from the Eastern seaboard, preventing the movement of soldiers and resources in both directions.
      • The routes from northern New York to Montreal and from Vermont to Quebec are both found satisfactory for an offensive, with Quebec being the more critical target.

• Ontario and the Great Lakes area:
      • Occupying this region gains control of Toronto and most of Canada's industry, while also preventing Britain and Canada from using it for air or land attacks against the U.S. industrial heartland in the Midwest.
      • The plan proposes simultaneous offensives from Buffalo across the Niagara River, from Detroit into Windsor, and from Sault Ste. Marie into Sudbury. Controlling the Great Lakes for U.S. transport is considered logistically necessary for a continued invasion.

• Winnipeg
      • Winnipeg is a central nexus of the Canadian rail system for connecting the country.
      • The plan sees no major obstacles to an offensive from Grand Forks, North Dakota, to Winnipeg.

• Vancouver and Victoria:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Plan_Red

I learned something today. Ain't the internets great?

Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 02-10-2016 at 07:56 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I'd rather C2E than work!

If they took over Canada I'd be fine with it. I think I would rather be ruled from Washington than Ottawa. Alberta wouldn't change much. Different money and an extra flag here and there. Sure would simplify crossing at the 49th. Buy one of those much cheaper houses in a warmer state and grab a job there. Hey, bring it on. Lol
    Last edited by Drumbones; 02-10-2016 at 08:28 PM.

^ you think you might not be watching too much TV?

They didn't like RB Bennett either?

That made it pretty close to unanimous then...
    Let's make Edmonton better.

all the way up to and including Pierre Trudeau's reign as PM i had heard about a U.S. invasion of Canada. i had heard that they thought Pierre was a commie pinko when he first took power and he wasn't exactly good friends with a few of the U.S. governments.

I'd rather C2E than work!

^ you think you might not be watching too much TV? WTF you mean by that JayBee? I've spent a chunk of my life in the USA and like it a lot more than eastern Canada. We have been screwed by them long enough. I would be one person that would vote to join the USA any time. I love Alberta and am a proud Albertan but that's as far as it goes. Anything beyond that is up for negotiation in my eyes. Just my thoughts but not wanting to start a discussion about it.

^ I don't "mean" anything. It's a question. You get to answer.
    Let's make Edmonton better.