Thread: Business Insider: 18 reasons why your next big trip should be to Edmonton, Canada

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Business Insider: 18 reasons why your next big trip should be to Edmonton, Canada

Business Insider: 18 reasons why your next big trip should be to Edmonton, Canada
    http://www.businessinsider.com/thing...monton-2016-10

Article by a NYC-based writer
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Not a bad example of the genre.

Nice to see DaCappo in there, I'd been wanting to see them pop up somewhere...
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Oh hey, a blogger who took a free trip to Edmonton wrote a nice article about her sponsored visit.

Wonder if she'd be so effluvient if she had paid her own way.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Oh hey, a blogger who took a free trip to Edmonton wrote a nice article about her sponsored visit.

David Staples wrote about that. First, every city invites (read: pays) travel writers to visit their cities. Global competition is fierce. Second, do you remember even a few short years ago when these people turned down paid trips to Edmonton? I do. Now they're coming, and they're saying really good stuff.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

^ some people have the memory of a sieve.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post

is this kind of coverage being covered worthwhile?

probably... in the same sense that good advertising is worthwhile. you just need to recognize it for what it is. it's kind of like writing about superbowl ads.

at least jessica festa included the "paid advertisement" rider in her article that is too often omitted: "Recently, I was fortunate enough to be invited by Edmonton Tourism to attend the Edmonton International Fringe Festival. I of course jumped at the chance (and was more than excited to escape NYC’s blistering heat for a few days)."

so while the article was titled "18 reasons why your next big trip should be to Edmonton, Canada", one is left to wonder if jessica ever would have found her way to edmonton to write it in the first place if we hadn't paid her way (or if that should have been reason 19). but like the superbowl ads, if they didn't provide at least some value, nobody would pay for them.

even if that value is primarily making edmonton feel better about edmonton than for someone from new york to come here based on jessica's paid advice. because at the end of the day, edmontonians are edmonton's best sales representatives and we can sell the city as great or as someplace to avoid based on our own perceptions and how we feel about our city. and if nothing else, it is 18 good suggestions of things to do with our own guest that not everyone would think of.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I'm not sure how appealing many of the things in this article are to people outside Edmonton (I'd be surprised if it attracts many New Yorkers to make the flight), but I think they could be used in some marketing materials. Its all good. I have long thought the key to improve Edmonton's tourism is to focus the money on the prairies, especially smaller towns, but also Calgary.

I wouldn't go to any place specifically if someone didn't tell me why I should go. It's not like I just randomly pick places on a map and think "Hey, let's go here". I go because I hear there's cool stuff there. Now someone is telling people there's cool stuff in Edmonton. Maybe we should be happy about that instead of questioning their motives. The next person that comes here may do it on their own dime (after hearing about it from a travel blog) and have the same great experience. Why would we want to stop that?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Long Term Contributor

The article should also be a reminder to everyone - citizens and visitors alike - that there's a lot more this part of the world offers than a bigass shopping mall, cold weather, oilsands and an NHL team. Note that, unlike our national newspapers with their condescending articles about Edmonton written by sneering self-loathing local hacks like Colby Cosh and Justin Giovannetti, the article mentioned nothing about cold weather, oil nor Oilers that I could find, while WEM only garnered an afterthought.

So I say to hell with the naysayers and the self-loathing Edmontonians. Keep at it with the promotional travel writer visits please and thank you very much, tourism agencies!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012