Thread: TELUS supports tax, loses customers

Default TELUS supports tax, loses customers

Very stupid thing to do, to come out in support of a new government tax:

http://business.financialpost.com/fp...rice-on-carbon

Telus Corp. customers are threatening to cancel their contracts after the telecom giant tweeted in support of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s price on carbon – and its wireless competitors wasted no time trying to land new business from the disgruntled customers.

“As a founding member of @smartprosperity, we support @JustinTrudeau & @cathmckenna in putting a #PriceOnCarbon,” Telus posted Tuesday night, linking to a joint statement from 22 business leaders, including CEO Darren Entwistle, that called carbon pricing the best way to reduce emissions and spark innovation.
    And a slow apology:

It took Telus 17 hours to apologize with another tweet.

“Our carbon pricing tweet late yesterday was not meant to be partisan or political, but we know it appeared that way, and we’re sorry,” it posted.

Poorly worded tweet when they are obviously on board with environmental sustainability. The false outrage will cost them little. It's the same small-minority large-noise crowd that always gets cranky when they think someone will make them take the coal-rolling mods off their Dodge.

The vast majority of educated people understand what the message was.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    That they were part of a working group with Trudeau on the carbon plan? I think when the majority of families are paying $2.5k per year more in energy costs because of these plans, there won't be much sympathy for those who supported them, no matter how educated they are.

I find it funny, surveys say people support a price on carbon, but those surveys don't ask, "are you willing to pay 2.5k a year more for a price on carbon"? I think the results would be very different if put that way, people imagine that somebody other than then (big bad corporations or similar) will be paying the price, which isn't the case. Very silly by TELUS, but something to learn from.

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – The Canadian Taxpayer’s Federation (CTF) has come out swiftly against the federal Liberals’ carbon tax plan, saying it will cost the average Canadian family $2,569 more in taxes every year by 2022.

The plan, revealed in the House of Commons today, will establish a “floor price” on carbon pollution of $10 a tonne in 2018, rising to $50 a tonne by 2022.
    http://www.news1130.com/2016/10/03/f...-per-year-ctf/
    Last edited by moahunter; 05-10-2016 at 03:22 PM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Given the number of companies supporting a carbon tax then boycotting them all should save people a lot of money and lower their carbon footprint at the same time. Sounds like a win to me.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

C2E Hard Core Contributor

A false outrage from the right wing again. Carbon pricing has wide buy in and it is not controversial at all unless you are a die hard partisan.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    That they were part of a working group with Trudeau on the carbon plan? I think when the majority of families are paying $2.5k per year more in energy costs because of these plans, there won't be much sympathy for those who supported them, no matter how educated they are.

I find it funny, surveys say people support a price on carbon, but those surveys don't ask, "are you willing to pay 2.5k a year more for a price on carbon"? I think the results would be very different if put that way, people imagine that somebody other than then (big bad corporations or similar) will be paying the price, which isn't the case. Very silly by TELUS, but something to learn from.

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – The Canadian Taxpayer’s Federation (CTF) has come out swiftly against the federal Liberals’ carbon tax plan, saying it will cost the average Canadian family $2,569 more in taxes every year by 2022.

The plan, revealed in the House of Commons today, will establish a “floor price” on carbon pollution of $10 a tonne in 2018, rising to $50 a tonne by 2022.
    http://www.news1130.com/2016/10/03/f...-per-year-ctf/
    Oh, you mean not polluting has costs? I guess we should give up on that and just pollute away. There's no consequences down that path. Nope. All blue skies and rainbows.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Oh, you mean not polluting has costs? I guess we should give up on that and just pollute away. There's no consequences down that path. Nope. All blue skies and rainbows.
    Whereas if Trudeau were to go beyond Harpers targets (which Harper cleverly was ignoring, just like the Liberals did before him with Kyoto), and implement the Paris accord, gasoline tax would go up by 50c. And while our energy costs go up, and our manufacturing plants in Canada shut down (because the US and Mexico are not implementing any of this nonsense, even if Clinton wins, so they won't have crazy high electricity / gas costs), the climate will still keep changing, there will still be blue skies and rainbows.
    Last edited by moahunter; 05-10-2016 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Whereas if Trudeau were to go beyond Harpers targets, and implement the Paris accord, gasoline tax would go up by 50c. And while our energy costs go up, and our manufacturing plants in Canada shut down (because the US and Mexico are not implementing any of this nonsense, even if Clinton wins), the environment will keep changing, there will still be blue skies and rainbows.
    Nothing like a fast race to the bottom, eh Moa? I remember the same arguments being applied to ridiculous corporate tax cuts all during the nineties. It still a load of horse shizzle.

Quote Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post
    A false outrage from the right wing again. Carbon pricing has wide buy in and it is not controversial at all unless you are a die hard partisan.
    So over 63% of Albertan's are die hard partisans?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...-tax-1.3784326

A majority of Albertans disapprove of the NDP's climate plan and even more don't support the looming carbon tax, despite Premier Rachel Notley's suggestions to the contrary, a new poll suggests.

Sixty-three per cent either somewhat or strongly disapprove of the carbon tax, which is to come into effect on Jan. 1, 2017, according to the poll by ThinkHQ released Thursday.
    Seems TELUS doesn't want their patronage. Funny that most Albetan families don't want to pay $2,500 plus per year more in regressive tax that will hit the poor and old hardest (as less disposable income to cover the costs), it must be our partisan nature to not love this idea...
    Last edited by moahunter; 05-10-2016 at 05:12 PM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Also Air Canada, BMO, Canadian Tire, Enbridge, Loblaws, Royal Bank, Scotiabank, Shell, Suncor, TD, Telus, The Co-operators Group, TransCanada, and Unilever. Don't forget to boycott them as well.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Low income earners get rebates. You now that, so stop pretending like that's not the case. Also, did you not read the recent article that stated Alberta has more private investment than any other province in Canada in 2016? In a recession year, with a minimum wage increase on the books, and a carbon tax coming. None of those were surprise developments, yet we're getting more investment than Ontario with 4x the population. Clearly industry is fleeing at a record pace. And now that carbon will be a balanced playing field nationally, I can only imagine they'll flee even faster.

From the FP article:
    On social media people tend to react instantly and emotionally without thinking about context, and things tend to snowball when other peoples’ reactions reinforce their views.

“Anger and outrage plays very well on social,” he said.

So how many people actually did more than just spout off?

I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post
    This.

That said, they should be aware Cowgary is one of their biggest markets.
    Let's make Edmonton better.