Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Concerts

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Tom Cochrane playing at River Cree on March 18th. Would love to hear some of Cowboys in Hong Kong live and of course a buffet of his 80s hits.

Re: Coldplay, last time they were here, the thing that made the news was their negative impression of the potholed roads. I wonder if they'll have a different reaction this time.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

JOHN MAYER

WITH GUESTS

ROGERS PLACE | APRIL 17, 2017

DOORS: 6:30PM | SHOW: 7:30PM

TICKETS ON SALE FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 3 @ 10AMwww.livenation.comCharge by Phone 1-855-985-5000Tickets (incl. GST) $115, $89, $75, $59, $39(Plus FMF & Service charges)**RESERVED SEATING / ALL AGES**

JOHN MAYER’S “THE SEARCH FOR EVERYTHING” WORLD TOUR TO LAUNCH MARCH 31, 2017

TICKETS ON SALE FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 3 @ 10 AM

GRAMMY Award®-winning singer/songwriter JOHN MAYER is launching his Search for Everything World Tour on Friday, March 31 in Albany, NY at the Times Union Center. This tour marks the first solo trek for Mayer since 2014 and will be sweeping through arenas across North America and Europe in the spring before concluding on Friday, May 12 at The O2 in London, England. Each concert on the tour will be comprised of full band, solo acoustic and John Mayer Trio sets of music. A full listing of tour dates can be found below.
    Tickets will go on sale beginning Friday, February 3 at 10 AM through livenation.com. American Express® Card Members can purchase tickets before the general public beginning Tuesday, January 31 at 10 AM through Thursday, February 2 at 10 PM. Every ticket purchased online for The Search for Everything World Tour, includes a physical copy of the forthcoming album.
    The first wave of music from The Search for Everything was released Friday, January 20, and went straight to #1 on iTunes. It consists of the recently released track, “Love on the Weekend,” as well as three brand new songs, “Moving On and Getting Over,” “Changing, and “You’re Gonna Live Forever in Me. The Search for Everything, which Mayer began recording in 2014 at the famed Capitol Studios in the Capitol Records building in Hollywood, will be released in its entirety this spring.

The Search for Everything World Tourdates:
    FRI 31-Mar Albany, NY Times Union Center
    SAT 1-Apr Montreal, QC Bell Centre
    MON 3-Apr Toronto, ON Air Canada Centre
    WED 5-Apr New York, NY Madison Square Garden
    THU 6-Apr Washington, DC Verizon Center
    FRI 7-Apr Philadelphia, PA Wells Fargo Center
    SUN 9-Apr Boston, MA TD Garden
    TUE 11-Apr Chicago, IL United Center
    WED 12-Apr Columbus, OH Schottenstein Center
    FRI 14-Apr Kansas City, MO Sprint Center
    SAT 15-Apr St. Paul, MN Xcel Energy Center
    MON 17-Apr Edmonton, AB Rogers Place
    WED 19-Apr Vancouver, BC Pepsi Live at Rogers Arena
    FRI 21-Apr Inglewood, CA The Forum
    SAT 22-Apr Las Vegas, NV T-Mobile Arena
    WED 3-May Amsterdam, NL Ziggo Dome
    FRI 5-May Herning, DK Jyske Bank Boxen
    SUN 7-May Stockholm, SE Ericcson Globe
    TUE 8-May Oslo, NO Spektrum
    Wed 9-May Copenhagen, DK Royal Arena
    FRI 12-May London, ENG The O2
    http://www.rogersplace.com/john-maye...b-005056bd68cd

I'd rather C2E than work!

For anybody looking for a little bit of 90s CanCon, The Age of Electric are doing a cross-canada tour this Spring. I believe they're at Union Hall on April 30th.

Do we suppose Mayer's skipping Ottawa because of the roof of the Saddledome? jk.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    For anybody looking for a little bit of 90s CanCon, The Age of Electric are doing a cross-canada tour this Spring. I believe they're at Union Hall on April 30th.
    Toss in some Limblifter for good measure and should be a great time! Quintessential 90s alt rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    Toss in some Limblifter for good measure and should be a great time! Quintessential 90s alt rock.
    They did some shows last year. Technically 2 members of limblifter are in AoE though.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
    Faith Hill & Tim McGraw - Rogers Place - June 3
    3 months later, and now Rogers Place officially announces this show - how odd.
    Tix on sale Feb 10.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Tix on sale Feb 10.
    I e-mailed CISN a while back asking why the show was announced but tickets never went on sale. Especially since the Calgary and Vancouver shows went on sale. This was their reply:

Don't worry they will be on sale soon. There is a reason but we can't reveal that. It's happening hang in there.

^ I'm guessing that was some scheduling conflict that had to be resolved.

Nickelback, Sept 28 at Rogers Place
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Tix on sale Feb 10.
    I e-mailed CISN a while back asking why the show was announced but tickets never went on sale. Especially since the Calgary and Vancouver shows went on sale. This was their reply:

Don't worry they will be on sale soon. There is a reason but we can't reveal that. It's happening hang in there.
    Whether or not they could talk openly about the booking some clarification should have existed. False third party tickets to the event were being posted on the usual sites for an event that had not yet gone on sale. Yet anybody could reasonably think the Edmonton show had already been sold out and that the resales could be legit. Of course people will look at the other show tours and note that those have already been on sale or have sold out. This was highly irregular.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Adam Lambert and Queen. I have such a crush on Adam. I freely admit it.

Default Chris de-burgh in Oct @ the Shaw

As part of his 17-date A Better World Canadian Tour 2017, de Burgh, 68, will play the Shaw Conference Centre in Edmonton on Oct. 16.October @ Shaw

http://edmontonjournal.com/entertainment/music/chris-de-burgh-to-play-edmontons-shaw-centre-in-october
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

WHAT: NICKELBACK ‘FEED THE MACHINE’
    WHEN: THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 28, 2017
    TICKETS ON SALE: SATURDAY FEBRUARY 11 @ 10 AM

GET TICKETS

NICKELBACK ‘FEED THE MACHINE’ WITH 44-CITY NORTH AMERICAN TOUR, NEW SINGLE AND NINTH STUDIO ALBUM
    Cheap Trick Joining as Special Guests on Select Canadian Dates
    Tickets On Sale February 11
    Multi-platinum, chart-topping rock band, NICKELBACK is set to hit the road this summer on the colossal headlining Feed The Machine Tour, announced today. Produced exclusively by Live Nation, the Feed The Machine Tour will begin on June 23 in Noblesville, Indiana, with44 dates across North America including stops in Detroit, Los Angeles, Chicago, Toronto, Vancouver, and more. Daughtry will join Nickelback as their special guest for all of the U.S. dates, as well as Toronto and Montreal, while Shaman’s Harvest will be seen on all dates. Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame icons, Cheap Trick, will be special guests for the western Canadian leg of the tour. Full itinerary below.
    Tickets for the Feed The Machine Tour will be available beginning with a Fan Club presale on Monday, February 6 at 11:30am ET/8:30am PT on the Live Nation App and at LiveNation.com. Fans who pre-order the new album today from the band’s official store will receive a code for early access to tickets as well as an instant-grat of the first single, “Feed The Machine.” General on-sale begins Saturday, February 11, with four-packs available for $80.00 in select cities. For ticket information and details on where to buy tickets, visit www.nickelback.com.

http://www.rogersplace.com/nickelbac...ember-28-2017/

Hot 107 says major concert announcement by a mega pop star on Monday morning.
    It could be just your typical DJ hyperbole but we'll see.

It's going to be Lady Gaga. The dates are to be announced after her Super Bowl halftime performance.

Got tix for tonight's Big Wreck show at Ranch. Was going to pass on Def Leppard but now that Poison and Tesla are added to the Edmonton show, I got in on that as well.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Went to Sam Roberts at the Winspear last night. The lighting for the show was terrible, it was 100% back lighting. Was it the band or the venue that would have been responsible?

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    Went to Sam Roberts at the Winspear last night. The lighting for the show was terrible, it was 100% back lighting. Was it the band or the venue that would have been responsible?
    Stage front at Winspear seems smallish by normal standards. In the facility there is more space for gear in back of the stage. There is seating on either side close around preventing any setup from being on sides.

No excuse though for rigging not being up high. Usually they have some lights up there.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    I've been to shows with fore-lighting, although I wasn't really analysing the setup.

Could be the band's "fault", I'm sure tech descriptions of the environment are available to event producers.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Hot 107 says major concert announcement by a mega pop star on Monday morning.
    It could be just your typical DJ hyperbole but we'll see.
    Heard ABBA is doing a reunion tour in 2018.

Edmonton better be on the list.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

WHAT: LADY GAGA JOANNE WORLD TOUR
    WHEN: THURSDAY AUGUST 3, 2017
    TICKETS ON SALE: MONDAY FEBRUARY 13 @ 10 AM

GET TICKETS

LADY GAGA JOANNE WORLD TOUR

KICKING OFF IN NORTH AMERICA ON AUGUST 1STAND EUROPE ON SEPT. 22ND

ROCK IN RIO FESTIVAL APPEARANCE CONFIRMED FOR SEPTEMBER 15TH

APPEARING IN EDMONTON ON AUGUST 3RD AT ROGERS PLACE

TICKETS GO ON SALE IN EDMONTON ON MONDAY FEBURARY 13TH AT 10AM

(New York, NY – February 6th, 2017) – Lady Gaga will be traveling the globe with the ‎Joanne World Tour starting on August 1st in Vancouver, BC and September 22nd in Barcelona with a series of concert dates throughout Europe and the UK before returning to North America in November and December this year. ‎Tickets for the concert in Edmonton on August 3rd will go on sale on Monday February 13th at 10am at ticketmaster.ca.
    http://www.rogersplace.com/lady-gaga-august-3-2017/
    Last edited by Hilman; 06-02-2017 at 07:36 AM.

Ottawa misses out again...

^You spelled Calgary wrong.

Have to say, not a particular Lady Gaga fan but her Superbowl performance was letter perfect. Seems like she would have no trouble doing a Stadium tour. These Arena shows will sellout in the blink of an eye.

I'd love to see her..she's great!

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    ^You spelled Calgary wrong.

Have to say, not a particular Lady Gaga fan but her Superbowl performance was letter perfect. Seems like she would have no trouble doing a Stadium tour. These Arena shows will sellout in the blink of an eye.
    I'm not allowed to say that other city unless I cite an Encyclopedia Britannica entry stating that the roof of their arena is the only reason a performer would skip a Canadian city our size...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

WHAT: THOMAS RHETT HOME TEAM TOUR 2017
    WHEN: SATURDAY MAY 6, 2017
    TICKETS ON SALE:FRIDAY FEBRUARY 17 @10AM

THOMAS RHETT
    2017 HOME TEAM TOUR

WITH GUEST
    BRETT YOUNG

SATURDAY, MAY 6, 2017
    ROGERS PLACE – EDMONTON, AB
    DOORS: 6:00PM SHOW: 7:00PM

TICKETS ON SALE FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 17 @ 10AMwww.livenation.comCharge by Phone 1-855-985-5000Tickets (incl. GST) $39.50, $59.50
    (Plus FMF & Service charges)
    **GENERAL ADMISSION PIT / RESERVED SEATING / ALL AGES**THOMAS RHETT EXTENDS FIRST-EVER HEADLINING 2017 HOME TEAM TOUR
    AHEAD OF SOLD OUT INITIAL RUN
    http://www.rogersplace.com/thomas-rhett-may-6-2017/

C2E Posting Power

Metallica this summer too?!!!! Wow.....bringing back the 80's this summer - Def, Gn'R and Metallica.......hope to go to all 3.

Metallica is tempting. Haven't seen them since the Load tour. Crazy when I think about it, that's 20 years ago.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I haven't seen them since the Black Album tour.

Slightly tempted as well.

(But I really wanted to just throw in that Ottawa misses again! (and on Coldplay!)

Guessing this is related to Garth Brooks:

Nope. There's some sort of field trip thing going on. Saw something about it on twitter.

**Edit** Oil Kings day game. Hockey Hooky I believe they were calling it. Tons of schools brought kids on field trips.
    Last edited by Alex.L; 15-02-2017 at 05:36 PM.

Nope. There's some sort of field trip thing going on. Saw something about it on twitter.

**Edit** Oil Kings day game. Hockey Hooky I believe they were calling it. Tons of schools brought kids on field trips.
    Nice. Going to hockey hooky as a school field trip would rock. better still at the shiny new arena.

When the RAM opens the teachers can make it a twofer day out on the town.

^^ okay then, yeah, cool.

^ That would be so cool. Exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    ^^ okay then, yeah, cool.

^ That would be so cool. Exciting.
    Yep. Or a 3 fer with the AGA or...

There are so many venues DT now that are possibilities and that make for very plausible one off, day excursions. For school students and for seeing DT Edmonton tourists.

I know I've fiscally opposed a lot of these things but they are pretty cool attractions. Tourists often appreciate being able to see several walkable attractions close to their hotel in a DT environment. Also, being a winter city how easy the COE is making it to do that. Add the Funicular, and the River Valley is also accessed easily any time of the year. These are good tourism initiatives. What surprises me though is that Edmonton is becoming a tourist destination. I was not sure that was going to occur.
    Last edited by Replacement; 16-02-2017 at 02:26 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Ottawa misses out again...
    Edmonton already had a reputation as a great sports city and a good concert town when the city started getting an abundance of shows mostly because the roof of the Saddledome in Calgary couldn’t handle much of today’s modern concert staging.
    http://m.edmontonsun.com/2017/02/25/...brooks-concert

Don't get me wrong, I'm all happy about the 9 shows and the economic impact for Edmonton. Good times.

But I've never been able to stand phony country.
    For those that distrust "the establishment", this is one area where I fully agree that the elitists are full of it. We need to clean up the discussions on "economic impact" so people don't have the wool pulled over their eyes by wonderful but rather meaningless numbers.

Here's a good article (including some good comments) on the issue of "economic impact".

Concert economics | Reality Bites

"Bottom line: between the secrecy, the ******** assumptions going into these calculations and the ignoring the baby formula/crack dispacements, the economic impact reports are worse than meaningless: they're insulting."

http://m.thecoast.ca/RealityBites/ar...cert-economics

Economic Impact Studies: Instruments for Political Shenanigans?
    JOHN L. CROMPTON

Most economic impact studies are commissioned to legitimize a political position rather than to search for economic truth. Often, this results in the use of mischievous procedures that produce large numbers that study sponsors seek to sup- port a predetermined position. Examples are selected pri- marily from the reports of ostensibly expert consultants that illustrate 10 of these mischievous procedures: including local residents; inappropriate aggregation; inclusion of time-switchers and casuals; abuse of multipliers; ignoring costs borne by the local community; ignoring opportunity costs; ignoring displacement costs; expanding the project scope; exaggerating visitation numbers; and inclusion of consumer surplus. The political payoff of these shenanigans is discussed.

http://agrilife.org/cromptonrpts/fil...1/06/3_9_3.pdf
    Last edited by KC; 25-02-2017 at 10:59 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Not sure what you are trying to say but I met and know of a lot of people that came from all over Western Canada and spent a lot of money here on hotels, eating, drinking, etc. These 9 concerts were good for his fans as well as the city's businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all happy about the 9 shows and the economic impact for Edmonton. Good times.

But I've never been able to stand phony country.
    For those that distrust "the establishment", this is one area where I fully agree that the elitists are full of it. We need to clean up the discussions on "economic impact" so people don't have the wool pulled over their eyes by wonderful but rather meaningless numbers.

Here's a good article (including some good comments) on the issue of "economic impact".

Concert economics | Reality Bites

"Bottom line: between the secrecy, the ******** assumptions going into these calculations and the ignoring the baby formula/crack dispacements, the economic impact reports are worse than meaningless: they're insulting."

http://m.thecoast.ca/RealityBites/ar...cert-economics

Economic Impact Studies: Instruments for Political Shenanigans?
    JOHN L. CROMPTON

Most economic impact studies are commissioned to legitimize a political position rather than to search for economic truth. Often, this results in the use of mischievous procedures that produce large numbers that study sponsors seek to sup- port a predetermined position. Examples are selected pri- marily from the reports of ostensibly expert consultants that illustrate 10 of these mischievous procedures: including local residents; inappropriate aggregation; inclusion of time-switchers and casuals; abuse of multipliers; ignoring costs borne by the local community; ignoring opportunity costs; ignoring displacement costs; expanding the project scope; exaggerating visitation numbers; and inclusion of consumer surplus. The political payoff of these shenanigans is discussed.

http://agrilife.org/cromptonrpts/fil...1/06/3_9_3.pdf
    Or just accept that having 250,000 attending concerts (or whatever) almost assuredly attracts spending from outside the economic region and that the impact varies by event and a ton of other variables and all such measures are pure estimates and not get bogged down in trying to measure something accurately that really cannot be.

I'd have to analyse individual economic impact studies to say if or not I agree with their assumptions and findings, but in general OBVIOUSLY the tourism industry is more than a unicorn.

KC still Cliff Clavining.
    In any case I posted an article in the Rogers Place thread on Garth's economic impact:
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...887#post813887

k.d. lang, Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium on Aug. 19 and 20
    http://edmontonjournal.com/entertain...nton-in-august

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Rogers Place @RogersPlace

Rogers Place Retweeted Depeche Mode
    #DepecheMode will perform at #RogersPlace on Friday, Oct. 27! Tickets will go on sale Friday, March 10 at 10am.
    https://twitter.com/RogersPlace/stat...69831277469696

This might be the first event I attend at RP. Nice!
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I see no Ottawa (ie. Calgary) again

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    Rogers Place @RogersPlace

Rogers Place Retweeted Depeche Mode
    #DepecheMode will perform at #RogersPlace on Friday, Oct. 27! Tickets will go on sale Friday, March 10 at 10am.
    https://twitter.com/RogersPlace/stat...69831277469696
    This is a huge announcement for Edmonton.

^Yeah. This is the first Rogers Place concert announcement that has made me even remotely excited.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    I see no Ottawa (ie. Calgary) again
    Not just those two larger cities, but 21 more centres in the U.S. are larger than us but also didn't get the tour, including Philadelphia at over 4X our size.

Except the massive Mohegan Sun resort (150 km from the outskirts of NYC) and Santa Barbara (100 km from the outskirts of L.A.), we're the smallest City on the tour by 600,000, as well as the most remote from any other tour stop by probably 300 km.

Could probably say similar about several other tours as well.

I'm anything but convinced this is bad news:

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic102.9
    After 8 amazing years, it’s time to explore new ideas.
    Actually with Live Nation and OEG and the Sonic Boom producers all under the same umbrella, these "new ideas" could be, ahem, more than suitable replacement.

Can hardly wait.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ That was my first thought too.

The cynic in me thinks that cancelling Sonic Boom could just be a cost-cutting move, with the "new ideas" being vague enough to be anything - including do nothing to replace it. But I'd love to be proven wrong on this.

I have a feeling it'll be a move to something more inclusive of both of the Rogers radio properties since they've kind of been moving in that direction anyway. Like the year one of the headliners for Sonic Boom was Ellie Goulding.

1 day Sonic, 1 day KissFM. Maybe even at Rogers Place where they don't have to pay through the nose to secure the perimeter of the site, set up temporary everything, etc.

This is just spitballing, but it makes sense to me.

C2E SME

The one time I went to Boom, I had a great time (it was the Arctic Monkeys/Jack White one). But it's just not a great festival venue for a variety of reasons, although I didn't see how it worked in Borden park. Some years the lineup was awesome, some years much less so. But the main reason I only went the one time, despite quite enjoying music festivals, is the date for the show. It's definitely something that can cut both ways, but for me, my summer long weekends are typically spent out of town. Same goes for most of my friends, so even if I stuck around, it would have been tough to find people to go with.

Hopefully some other music festival in or around Edmonton steps up. Losing Boonstock and Boom leaves a pretty big gap.

2014 was an anomaly. They had a lineup pretty much set, then Al Ford (Program Director for Sonic at the time) went to an exclusive Third Man Records event in Nashville to meet with Jack White, after which he agreed to play X Fest and Boom.

It was both the best and worst thing that could happen to Sonic Boom, because it obviously was a killer lineup but it set the expectations too high for following years. They could never quite reach that level again especially with the dollar tanking (relatively), etc.

The sale of Union Events to Live Nation last year made it just a question of time before these two got cancelled as the main promoters now work for Live Nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post

Hopefully some other music festival in or around Edmonton steps up. Losing Boonstock and Boom leaves a pretty big gap.
    Absolutely massive gap, with an irrefutably proven market.

Perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From YEG View Post
    The sale of Union Events to Live Nation last year made it just a question of time before these two got cancelled as the main promoters now work for Live Nation.
    I don't think they bought union events just for the sake of eliminating a competitor. They're quality people with all the skills we need for staging something well.

The margins on Sonic and XFest were small and heavily dependent on on-site 'beverage' sales and the weather, particularly two years ago, militated against both the Fests coupled with the Alberta economy. While event cancellation insurance covered the costs of XFest cancellation two years ago (a classy move to honour those passes at Sonic Boom was typical of Union's owners), there was little if any profit.

I would suspect that if Union had not sold out both Fests would still be on albeit on a smaller scale insofar as concerns the number and the stature of artists playing.

^ I agree. I'm just saying: Live Nation's contacts? OEG's backing? Union's hands-on experience?

They have the potential to do something quite special.

Ed Sheeran, July 25 at Rogers Place
    http://www.edsheeran.com/news/north-...ur-dates-36206
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 08-03-2017 at 08:08 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^
    NORTH AMERICAN TOUR DATESJune 29 || Kansas City, MO || Sprint Center
    June 30 || Des Moines, IA || Wells Fargo Arena
    July 1 || St. Paul, MN || Xcel Energy Center
    July 7 || Toronto, ON || Air Canada Centre
    July 9 || Buffalo, NY || KeyBank Center
    July 11 || Philadelphia, PA || Wells Fargo Center
    July 14 || Uncasville, CT || Mohegan Sun Arena
    July 15 || Uncasville, CT || Mohegan Sun Arena
    July 18 || Quebec City, QC || Videotron Centre
    July 19 || Montreal, QC || Bell Centre
    July 22 || Winnipeg, MB || MTS Centre
    July 23 || Saskatoon, SK || SaskTel Centre
    July 25 || Edmonton, AB || Rogers Place
    July 28 || Vancouver, BC || Rogers Arena
    July 29 || Tacoma, WA || Tacoma Dome
    July 30 || Portland, OR || Mode Center
    August 1 || Sacramento, CA || Golden 1 Center
    August 2 || Oakland, CA || Oracle Arena
    August 4 || Las Vegas, NV || T-Mobile Arena
    August 5 || Glendale, AZ || Gila River Arena
    August 6 || San Diego, CA || Valley View Casino Center
    August 10 || Los Angeles, CA || Staples Center
    August 15 || Denver, CO || Pepsi Center
    August 17 || Tulsa, OK || BOK Center
    August 18 || Dallas, TX || American Airlines Center
    August 19 || Houston, TX || Toyota Center
    August 22 || San Antonio, TX || AT&T Center
    August 25 || Duluth, GA || Infinite Energy Center
    August 29 || Tampa, FL || Amalie Center
    August 30 || Miami, FL || American Airlines Arena
    August 31 || Orlando, FL || Amway Center
    September 2 || Raleigh, NC || PNC Arena
    September 3 || Charlotte, NC || Spectrum Center
    September 5 || Charleston, SC || North Charleston Center
    September 7 || Louisville, KY || KFC YUM! Center
    September 8 || Indianapolis, IN || Bankers Life Fieldhouse
    September 9 || Cleveland, OH || Quicken Loans Arena
    September 12 || Omaha, NE || CenturyLink Center
    September 15 || Chicago, IL || Allstate Arena
    September 17 || St. Louis, MO || Scottrade Center
    September 19 || Washington, DC || Verizon Center
    September 22 || Boston, MA || TD Garden
    September 26 || Pittsburgh, PA || PPG Paints Arena
    September 27 || Detroit, MI || Little Caesars Arena
    September 29 || Brooklyn, NY || Barclays Center
    September 30 || Brooklyn, NY || Barclays Center
    October 3 || Columbus, OH || Nationwide Arena
    October 6 || Nashville, TN || Bridgestone Arena

Wow !

Two dates at Uncasville.

Party on dudes !

^ massive casino resort 100 km from Boston, 150 from New York, has a high speed rail stop.

(poor Ottawa, btw.)

Plus onFirst Nations with attached casino. Likely a good paycheck. 10,000 seat facility, two shows.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 08-03-2017 at 08:08 PM.

^ massive casino resort 100 km from Boston, 150 from New York, has a high speed rail stop.

(poor Ottawa, btw.)
    Being spared from Sheeran doesn't naturally elicit my sympathy. Actually applies to a lot of acts these days and not getting them being arguably mixed blessings.

^ just fwiw.

Seems some might not be aware how it's not automatic for Canadian cities with 1.3 million pop to get acts regardless the roof on their venue...
    Last edited by JayBee; 08-03-2017 at 07:12 PM.

^The wife is thrilled to hear about this one. Looks like we'll be going. Not hard to look at Mariah Carey either. We both get eye candy on the night. Win win.

jk aside this should be a great show. Hope they add some extra shows.

We'll be buyers in anycase even if its resales.

btw the link keeps sending to Ed Sheeran presales when one clicks on tickets...yuck, would hate to make that mistake..

Nice to see Lionel back on his feet.

C2E Posting Power

^The wife is thrilled to hear about this one. Looks like we'll be going. Not hard to look at Mariah Carey either. We both get eye candy on the night. Win win.

jk aside this should be a great show. Hope they add some extra shows.

We'll be buyers in anycase even if its resales.

btw the link keeps sending to Ed Sheeran presales when one clicks on tickets...yuck, would hate to make that mistake..
    Both get eye candy? Which artist is eye candy for you and which one for your wife?

Ugh why is Mariah only a special guest?

18 number ones, she should be headlining

It'll probably be more of a co-headliner deal. She's not doing a 45 minute opener set.

It'll probably be more of a co-headliner deal. She's not doing a 45 minute opener set.
    Would say that undoubtedly. Its probably a long concert. 3 or more hours. But given two performers like this there is probably going to be considerable demand for this tour.

There is a groupon for Depeche Mode..not sure, but I think it takes money off for the 200 seating.

The only one I could name is 'All I Want for Christmas is you'.

BTW, not only Ottawa, but Montréal also missing this one.
    Last edited by JayBee; 10-03-2017 at 11:40 PM.

The only one I could name is 'All I Want for Christmas is you'.

BTW, not only Ottawa, but Montréal also missing this one.
    Further cementing my theory that you know nothing about anything.

^ well, not much about Mariah, but I know a bit about Led Zeppelin, so there's that.

^ well, not much about Mariah, but I know a bit about Led Zeppelin, so there's that.
    A great band to know something about, but alas. They don't make bands like that anymore. In fact with todays proliferation of autotune, sampling, and being able to just program songs is there even such a thing anymore as serious musicians cutting their craft as brilliant session musicians before forming their own band? JPJ and JP were so accomplished before even joining up to start Zep. They had chops you just won't find now. Two Mozarts in one band.

Similarly when Cream got together the name was very fitting as those musicians were incredibly accomplished already and obviously nowhere but rising. This kind of incubation of playing with greats like John Mayall before strutting your own stuff really just doesn't occur now. The music lacks now for not having that firmly established background.

Albeit Lionel Richie harkens back to the type of thing I'm saying. He got his chops playing with established artists that taught him the way.

^ I'd put Radiohead up there, and they're pretty recent, although I know Kid A and amnesiac weren't really a lot of people's thing.

^ I'd put Radiohead up there, and they're pretty recent, although I know Kid A and amnesiac weren't really a lot of people's thing.
    I love Radiohead and Kid A CD particularly. Not really recent though, we're getting old.

There are tons of musicians and bands that fit those criteria. Most people just need 20 or 30yrs of hindsight to appreciate them.

There are tons of musicians and bands that fit those criteria. Most people just need 20 or 30yrs of hindsight to appreciate them.
    That's your theory, its not a fact. Nor is it after the fact acknowledgement as you mention. If you were around music in the 60's and 70's you would know how many truly great musicians there were, how many great bands there were. 1f you were anywhere in the world you knew that Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Pete Townshend, George Harrison were gods then. Already. You didn't need 3 decades for it to sink in. Countless acts that were so monumentally spellbinding that each release was noteworthy, each album poured over with the appreciation that they deserved. Fewer artists today merit that.

Its like a choice between a fantastic composer like Elton John (who was always a legend) and somebody like Adam Levine. One is an artist and fantastic composer with a catalog so great he can't even touch the surface of it in concerts. The other is a GQ product. Who probably can't even sing without autotune but who's face looks good as a figurehead and makes some girls squirm.

Note how many people in this thread say things like "wow, finally one act I'm even remotely interested in going to" Depeche Mode is at least interesting. Can't say that for every act that's played Rogers Place. Seems like a lot of country acts to me have been over represented. Maybe if you love Country music you feel like this is the best of times. I can't even picture that. Johnny Cash is still the legend. Does anybody in that genre really touch his work?
    Last edited by Replacement; 11-03-2017 at 03:43 PM.

Nor am I outdated as I expect that will be your reply Alex.

This is what I'm listening to in the last couple months;

New Thievery Corp release

Morcheeba

Jesu

Alt J

Bat for Lashes

Cat power

PJ Harvey

Beck

BOC, no not that one, Boards of Canada

Charlotte Gainsbourg

Sigur Ros

Tame Impala

Modest Mouse

St Vincent

and so on.

Only one of them really a pop artist, most pop today isn't worth listening to and the above name all deserve credit for keeping their music original. A rarer thing today where most music, and acts are just marketed product. Less about the art.

We actually have similar tastes. The issue is that in today's music scene you can't turn your head without finding an artist that has been described as a generational talent, or the next big thing. It takes a lot more promotion for anybody to really achieve both widespread name recognition and success with any sort of actual artistic integrity. A lot of the acts you listed are indie darlings (St. Vincent, Sigur Ros, Modest Mouse) who don't play well on rock stations. They're the ones making interesting and challenging music, but it's lost in the vast sea of mediocre bands flooding the marketplace and taking up valuable space in magazines and online media.

Bands like The National, Bon Iver, Sufjan Stevens, St Vincent, Grimes, etc are at the top of their game, but because they don't have some stupid gimmick the greater population doesn't seem to pay attention despite critical praise and awards.

Couldn't agree more with that Alex. The music industry today features pop product instead of indie artists that would be more interesting listens. Even our very own Purity Ring. Its unfortunate. But to that end the Music industry largely gets behind easy product that is likely unmemorable, instead of eclectic product that is a bit more demanding for the listener but ultimately more rewarding and lasting. The latter being why I disagreed with you. Will Rihanna or Nicki Minaj really have the staying power of Roberta Flack, Aretha Franklin?

I truly doubt it.

As per playing well on Rock Stations that's a format imagination problem as well. Rock stations even in the 80's had little trouble being adaptable and playing Talking Heads, or Siouxsie and the Banshees. (Annie Clarke evokes those acts.) Rock stations played Yes, ELP, Pink Floyd, they should have no problem playing Sigur Ros or Radiohead. Its damned odd if they don't. But to that end regular radio is silly, its become top100 of the day generated and Pink Floyd etal would never have become well known or even existed given that myopic a focus.

The popmusic industry is ruining music. I recognize that. That went on to some extent back in the day but you had producers like Ahmet Ertugun who still recognized genius where they found it and also artists with enough clout to try to take control of the producing industry to yield better latitude and diversity in what they could release.
    Last edited by Replacement; 11-03-2017 at 04:39 PM.

Well Rihanna has already been topping charts for 11 years and has sold 230 million albums, so it's entirely possible that she could be in the same conversation as Aretha Franklin in when one looks back upon her career decades later.

That's really what I'm getting at though. Measuring an artist of today against an artist who has been an acknowledged legend for half a century is just another way of dismissing the contributions that today's artists are making.

Well Rihanna has already been topping charts for 11 years and has sold 230 million albums, so it's entirely possible that she could be in the same conversation as Aretha Franklin in when one looks back upon her career decades later.

That's really what I'm getting at though. Measuring an artist of today against an artist who has been an acknowledged legend for half a century is just another way of dismissing the contributions that today's artists are making.
    This is again where we have a different view, which is fine, but Arethra Franklin, Roberta Flack were so good that she easily, even automatically crossed genre specific listening. They were that good, everybody was listening, you couldn't listen. Such beautiful voices, song writing, the talent was immediate always. INSTANTLY.

Name 3 songs in Rihanna's catalog that can evoke what those artists put out and that immediately resulted in them being legends. You didn't have to like soul, R & B, nothing other than having ears and listening to music. Thing is with Spotify its easier as ever to be drawn to music and experiment but I don't get the appeal of Rihanna or Minaj. That said I don't get Beyoncé either. Could just be a disconnect on my part. The only song I can see it with Rihanna is "We found love" I'm not finding anything else and I doubt she even wrote that song as it has hooks and melody not found typically in her catalog. So much so that its outlier. Immediately evident, guaranteed without even looking it up that she didn't write it.

That said the trouble with Spotify is its hard to identify the good songs, just easy to identify the most listened to songs which is often a very different thing. So I could be missing on this one.
    Last edited by Replacement; 11-03-2017 at 05:07 PM.

This is again where we have a different view, which is fine, but Arethra Franklin, Roberta Flack were so good that she easily, even automatically crossed genre specific listening. They were that good, everybody was listening, you couldn't listen. Such beautiful voices, song writing, the talent was immediate always. INSTANTLY.

Name 3 songs in Rihanna's catalog that can evoke what those artists put out and that immediately resulted in them being legends. You didn't have to like soul, R & B, nothing other than having ears and listening to music. Thing is with Spotify its easier as ever to be drawn to music and experiment but I don't get the appeal of Rihanna or Minaj. That said I don't get Beyoncé either. Could just be a disconnect on my part. The only song I can see it with Rihanna is "We found love" I'm not finding anything else and I doubt she even wrote that song as it has hooks and melody not found typically in her catalog. So much so that its outlier. Immediately evident, guaranteed without even looking it up that she didn't write it.
    She didn't, but Sia did. That brings us to someone else who will be in the conversation. Sia started as a singer/songwriter, did a ton of session work and features on huge songs, went on to write songs for many now huge artists, went back into business for herself and has been a major contributor to popular music for over 10 years. Her songs are everywhere and she writes them. Sia has staying power and it's impossible to escape the songs she's been a part of.

She didn't, but Sia did. That brings us to someone else who will be in the conversation. Sia started as a singer/songwriter, did a ton of session work and features on huge songs, went on to write songs for many now huge artists, went back into business for herself and has been a major contributor to popular music for over 10 years. Her songs are everywhere and she writes them. Sia has staying power and it's impossible to escape the songs she's been a part of.
    I like Sia a lot. But she would be an example of an artist that was immediately easy to listen to. I don't think it took long to recognize her immense talent. I'm on Spotify right now and trying to find something in Rihanna other than swearing and young girl anger. Apparently the audience is adolescent girls. I dunno. But that's the thing. I don't know anybody in my demographic that has ever listened to Rihanna. Back in the day anybody would be listening to Roberta Flack or Aretha Franklin and able to appreciate their music. Rihanna doesn't get beyond her demographic apparently.

My take is Rihanna isn't popular because of her musical talent but because of autotune, producers, swearing a lot, wearing nothing on stage and grabbing her crotch. (when in doubt be Beyoncé or Miley Cyrus) Its hard to take the artistic aspect seriously. She's a packaged product of sex. Apparently. Who's fashion sense evokes the tired and tawdry Madonna shtick. Just trying to be controversial is how she comes off. 9/10 songs with explicit lyrics. Minaj is indefensible. No talent with big eye lashes.

Led Zep could be criticized in similar terms if every song was the lemon song..
    Last edited by Replacement; 11-03-2017 at 05:39 PM.

Sia, now that would be a concert I'd go see. Or Adele.

Got tix for Depeche Mode. Pumped.

Also going to Cirque at Northlands this summer.

Considering Guns 'n' Roses and Metallica too.

I picked up four tix for Depeche Mode on the fan presale, didn't even bother asking if anyone would go. I figure I won't have problems finding guests.

The Shins coming May 23 to the Jube I leave the 22 $#^&(*&[email protected](@#&(*[email protected]#
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Band I adore at a venue I enjoy, zero chance of running into Ian? Win-win-win
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Something that could have brought us together was not meant to be...
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

“It’s a great place to watch a hockey game but it’s also a great place to do other events. It’s not a coincidence that Garth Brooks came here and sold out nine shows. I think the Chamber told me it had an impact of $42 million.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...mans-best-barn

Depends which aspect one focuses on, but I can't think of any aspect that Rogers Place would fall out of the top three, and it's the only arena I can see that could do that.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Rogers Place‏@RogersPlace

CONCERT ANNOUNCEMENT! @coldplay has added a second date at #RogersPlace. The group's second show will be Sept. 27
    Today, Coldplay announced a new 2017 run of North American stadium and arena shows for its “A Head Full Of Dreams Tour,” including the band’s first Canadian dates in five years. The dates are as follows:

Tue Aug 01 – New York, NY – MetLife Stadium
    Fri Aug 04 – Boston, MA – Gillette Stadium
    Sun Aug 06 – Washington, DC – FedExField
    Tue Aug 08 – Montreal, QC – Bell Centre
    Sat Aug 12 – Minneapolis, MN – US Bank Stadium
    Mon Aug 14 – Omaha, NE – CenturyLink Center
    Tue Aug 15 – Kansas City, MO – Sprint Center
    Thu Aug 17 – Chicago, IL – Soldier Field
    Sat Aug 19 – Cleveland, OH – Quicken Loans Arena
    Mon Aug 21 – Toronto, ON – Rogers Centre
    Fri Aug 25 – Houston, TX – NRG Stadium
    Mon Aug 28 – Miami, FL – Hard Rock Stadium
    Sat Sep 23 – Seattle, WA – CenturyLink Field
    Tue Sep 26 – Edmonton, AB – Rogers Place
    Wed Sep 27 – Edmonton, AB – Rogers Place

Fri Sep 29 – Vancouver, BC – BC Place
    Mon Oct 02 – Portland, OR – Moda Center
    Wed Oct 04 – San Francisco, CA – Levi’s Stadium
    Sun Oct 08 – San Diego, CA – Qualcomm Stadium
    http://www.rogersplace.com/events/ev...lay-2017-09-26

I was thinking "gee, that stands out on the tour" but then I noticed all but five of the other tour stops are in stadiums.

One of the ads I've seen at Rogers Place is for the Roger Waters show this autumn with a statement that he's the musical genius behind Pink Floyd (or something to that effect). I'm not a big Floyd fan (I like a few songs here and there, going back to the Syd Barrett era) so I can't really vouch for the validity of that claim. But would such a statement be coming from OEG, from the promoters, or from Waters himself?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast