Thread: Non profit has station

Default Non profit gas station

Someone, but not me, should create a non profit gas station that doesn't change its prices when the big boys hike theirs.
    Last edited by KC; 07-10-2016 at 04:45 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Gas station margins on gasoline are only a couple percent. Hence why they try to get you to buy a car wash, or come in to the Timmys/A&W, or buy a pack of smokes, or whatever else. And why there's basically no "independent" ones anymore, because independents can't compete with such tiny margins. The difference would be negligible.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Or you could just make smart consumer choices.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

I'd rather C2E than work!

I am curious, though, as to what it in Edmonton that causes these spikes. They happen every one to three weeks or so, usually only last a couple of days at most before the prices starts sliding back, and don't correlate to holiday weekends. Last winter I remember it seemed to happen every Tuesday and by Thursday prices had snapped back down.

Last edited by Paul Turnbull; 07-10-2016 at 05:08 PM.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Gas station margins on gasoline are only a couple percent. Hence why they try to get you to buy a car wash, or come in to the Timmys/A&W, or buy a pack of smokes, or whatever else. And why there's basically no "independent" ones anymore, because independents can't compete with such tiny margins. The difference would be negligible.
    Maybe bigger tanks would allow a station to buy opportunistically and straddle the spiking periods.

Personally I don't care because I rarely shop around for gas, but it's a perpetual issue of collusion and conspiracy so why don't a bunch of those guys that are convinced that the big guys are gouging just get together and open their own independent station.

They could even open up their books and show everyone exactly how they are pricing
    Last edited by KC; 07-10-2016 at 04:53 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    I am curious, though, as to what it in Edmonton that causes these spikes. They happen every one to three weeks or so, usually only last a couple of days at most before the prices starts sliding back, and don't correlate to holiday weekends. Last winter I remember it seemed to happen every Tuesday and by Thursday prices had snapped back down.

Not sure. A good friend of mine recently took a new position within Suncor, and it involves trading of gasoline etc. He joked that if there's another gasoline outage in Alberta, it'll probably be his fault as he's getting up to speed in an unfamiliar position. I'll ask him if he has any idea. Could be something as simple as Edmonton only have a few sources of supply, being geographically isolated from others, and being a relatively small market. While Toronto is a massive market, smack dab in one of the largest population and refinery agglomerations on the planet.