Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polls has Iveson cruising to second term

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Polls has Iveson cruising to second term

One year out from Election 2017, a new poll suggests Edmonton residents are willing to trust their young mayor to guide the city through possible rocky economic times.

http://edmontonjournal.com/business/commercial-real-estate/mainstreet-poll-has-edmonton-mayor-iveson-cruising-to-a-second-term
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

C2E SME

Hard to say what his support level truly is, when no one else has declared a candidacy. I hope that a qualified candidate runs, if only to hold him to account (ie: not Diotte). I voted for Iveson last time, but it wouldn't take much for me to change that for the next election. He has accomplished very little, in my opinion, other than occasionally shoving his foot in his mouth and lecturing the electorate about not being so demanding of the city and it's staff.

I doubt Diotte would give his MP seat to run for mayor. I also suspect we won't get a strong challenger to Iveson next time around. Really strong poll numbers tend to discourage more than the usual suspects from running.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

I think he's done alright, but what Jim Taylor said is so true, we're coasting in neutral on the things Mandel initiated. We need more in the pipeline to keep going farther in the future. We need the WEM line, we need EDACC, we need the Shaw Conference Centre expansion, we need to encourage the Provincial voters to get to work (Courthouse, new Royal Alexandra, deleting the Remand Centre, office consolidation).

So much to do to become a great City, we're going to sputter to a halt economically, but not for lack of things to do. Just for lack of doing.

Do it when it's cheap, and keeping the economy from falling through the floor is a bonus.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

A poll of just over 800 , crushing it.LOL.I'll wait and see. He wont get my vote next time..

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hello lady View Post
    A poll of just over 800 , crushing it.LOL.I'll wait and see. He wont get my vote next time..
    Not to mention they only called landlines, so they polled a bunch of seniors who never do much. Not particularly accurate. It clearly depends on who the other candidates are, but I would certainly consider voting for someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Hard to say what his support level truly is, when no one else has declared a candidacy. I hope that a qualified candidate runs, if only to hold him to account (ie: not Diotte). I voted for Iveson last time, but it wouldn't take much for me to change that for the next election. He has accomplished very little, in my opinion, other than occasionally shoving his foot in his mouth and lecturing the electorate about not being so demanding of the city and it's staff.
    My thoughts as well. I might still vote for him, but only if the alternatives seem likely to be worse.

Default Iveson poll

I am a bit surprised by this level of support given all the complaining about lrt delays, over pass delays, bridge delays, bike lanes ... However, there is no obvious person to challenge Iveson at this point and in Edmonton incumbent mayors usually get a second term. While I think he will probably get re-elected, I think there will be a strong challenger come forward eventually and it may end up being a close race.

Agreed 100%. Most of the cool things happening over the last few years have little to do with him being Mayor. He was on city council and against most the the city's recent successes like the arena.

I noticed that he has highest support from the 18-24 demo, one which is barely out of its parent's home and the least likely to have an understanding of how things operate in the real world.
    Last edited by Spudly; 17-10-2016 at 04:55 PM. Reason: typo
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Not to mention they only called landlines, so they polled a bunch of seniors who never do much. Not particularly accurate. It clearly depends on who the other candidates are, but I would certainly consider voting for someone else.
    emphasis added...

maybe you should read the linked article on the poll before commenting on the poll?

"Residents were contacted by land line and cellphone Oct. 11 and 12."
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Polls, depends who/when/source they are taking the info from. 800 not a huge amount to go by. Do we know the demographics of those polled.
    Not a big fan of Iveson. Seems to spend to much of the taxpayers money on pet projects that go nowhere. Has a penchant for making Edmonton the Bylaw/speeding ticketing capital of Canada. He will keep adding charges onto things when really they are just other ways to tax us. He should quit. I'm sure private enterprise could find a use for him. Is Walmart looking for greeters?.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

800 is a fairly large sample size for a civic survey. I haven't seen the polling demographics posted yet but it is usual with polls like these to post methodology.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Not a big fan of Iveson. Seems to spend to much of the taxpayers money on pet projects that go nowhere.
    Which ones would those be?

C2E Long Term Contributor

^ Don't bother conversing with the consistently clueless, Spudly. At least refrain from quoting her so I don't have to read them. Anyways...

The election is still a year away so this poll is much too early.

I agree with Marcel. Although he's been somewhat disappointing as Mayor, my vote is with Iveson for now until a better candidate comes along - same ideals, but is a stronger leader who is better at getting things done. I'm not going to vote for just any whackjob that challenges him, and I'm not voting for some wingnut with a Wildrose membership and a Canadian Taxpayers Federation playbook (e.g. Diotte in the last election).
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^ Sure, like your opinion is the only one that matters on this forum. Take a chill pill dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Not a big fan of Iveson. Seems to spend to much of the taxpayers money on pet projects that go nowhere.
    Which ones would those be?
    Well, remember the Seawall vision, the photo radar boondoggle and how it was handled, , LRT circus and how it was handled, bike lane fiasco etc etc.

^

Do facts matter at all in Your World?

I mean, fine, criticise what he's done, but you don't even know what that happens to be.

^Will leave that up to you to give us the dosier of his accomplishments as you seem to be the go to person on what they happen to be.

A dossier ?

Ooh-la-la !

Top_Dawg is impressed.

Hate to say it, but maybe Iveson is popular because he has not been doing things people don't like / want? For example, not implementing bike lanes properly (so don't have bike lanes), allowing sprawl to accelerate / encouraging it with annexation to airport, not taking any meaningful steps to encourage infill (which tends to NIMBY backlash), etc. I don't like him much because I agreed with a lot of what he used to write in blogs about strengthening mature neighborhoods, encouraging infill, restricting sprawl, but the very things that I like, are exactly what people who have views like the UDI, a suburban driven vision of the city, hate. His abject failure in doing any of them has probably made him more popular not less.
    Last edited by moahunter; 18-10-2016 at 09:48 AM.

This election is RIGGED!

Tweet by D.J.Trump...

LOL
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    emphasis added...

maybe you should read the linked article on the poll before commenting on the poll?

"Residents were contacted by land line and cellphone Oct. 11 and 12."
    I read two other articles indicating the poll was conducted by landline only. Sorry for the mistake on not reading a third. Thanks for pointing it out though. Appreciated.
    Last edited by etownboarder; 18-10-2016 at 09:51 AM.

I'm with Marcel on this one. He's ok (lowercase), but I'd flip pretty quick to someone with similar vision and less prone to having hissy fits when the public is being honest and open about their pain points.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Hate to say it, but maybe Iveson is popular because he has not been doing things people don't like / want? For example, not implementing bike lanes properly (so don't have bike lanes), allowing sprawl to accelerate / encouraging it with annexation to airport, not taking any meaningful steps to encourage infill (which tends to NIMBY backlash), etc. I don't like him much because I agreed with a lot of what he used to write in blogs about strengthening mature neighborhoods, encouraging infill, restricting sprawl, but the very things that I like, are exactly what people who have views like the UDI, a suburban driven vision of the city, hate. His abject failure in doing any of them has probably made him more popular not less.
    He's popular because without parties, it all comes down to name recognition. It really has little to do with policy, unless huge mistakes are made, which they weren't.

Most people do not follow the actions of the mayor closely nor do they analyse his policies in any depth. If things are "going good" in general he will be re-elected.

i wont vote for him. Too many hissy fits like others have said and hes out of touch with the average voter.

How can people ignore all the crazy issues on almost every construction project we have had in the last few years. Someone needs to be held accountable.
    Last edited by gwill211; 18-10-2016 at 12:04 PM.

Didn't vote for him before, won't vote for him now.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Polls, depends who/when/source they are taking the info from. 800 not a huge amount to go by. Do we know the demographics of those polled.
    Not a big fan of Iveson. Seems to spend to much of the taxpayers money on pet projects that go nowhere. Has a penchant for making Edmonton the Bylaw/speeding ticketing capital of Canada. He will keep adding charges onto things when really they are just other ways to tax us. He should quit. I'm sure private enterprise could find a use for him. Is Walmart looking for greeters?.
    He is a municipal version of Justin, no real work experience and trained to be a politician. Phony smiles and virtue signalling.

I'm surprised at the lack lustre support that Iveson has on this thread. Maybe they should have polled us for a more accurate reading.

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    He is a municipal version of Justin, no real work experience and trained to be a politician. Phony smiles and virtue signalling.
    I have my criticisms of Don, and of all politicians, but being trained in politics isn't a bad thing. Do you want your plumber to be the guy that operates on you if you need surgery? Probably not - they're not very qualified. I'm not entirely sure I want that plumber making policy either. I'd rather have someone trained on how to source information to make sound policy, than someone without those skills. I'd rather the plumber be consulted on matters related to plumbing policy.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    I have my criticisms of Don, and of all politicians, but being trained in politics isn't a bad thing. Do you want your plumber to be the guy that operates on you if you need surgery? Probably not - they're not very qualified. I'm not entirely sure I want that plumber making policy either. I'd rather have someone trained on how to source information to make sound policy, than someone without those skills. I'd rather the plumber be consulted on matters related to plumbing policy.
    I think a bit more real world experience might be beneficial in his case. I don't get the feeling he pays close attention to what voters and citizens really think, he tends to follow the advise of the bureaucracy and has his own fairly strong ideas, but they are not backed up by much real world experience. For instance, Mayor Mandel had the experience to know when the city administration was feeding him bs. While he has been a disappointment, I hope Iveson will learn - youth, inexperience and arrogance can be a very bad combination.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

What do you consider to be "trained in politics"? Iveson has an arts degree in Political Science and then worked for the Canadian University Press for a year. Not a lot of real world experience there. A plumber's experience is all real world, no I wouldn't want him operating on me but having him on council is probably as good as the next guy. Particularly if he runs his own successful business or supervises staff, works with clients etc.

Better yet to have someone with 20 yrs exp. and success in the real world, esp in management. If someone like that runs against him he is probably toast. Problem is most mayors start off on council first. Unfortunately there are no current councilors lighting the world on fire, can't see or want any of them running for mayor. Think we are going to get another term with Iveson. Mayor is a tough job that's why you don't see many ppl, including councilors, putting their hands up.
    Last edited by 2cents; 19-10-2016 at 12:35 PM.

His inability to take voters feelings into consideration would, in my opinion, constitute a failure to do exactly what I suggested a good politician does - source information to make good policy. I would expect someone with a degree in political science and a background in journalism to be good at researching public opinion, then researching the matter, and making sound policy. Hence my tepid endorsement: he's OK, but if a better candidate comes along, I'm not going to hesitate to vote for someone else. But I won't be voting for Joe Plumber because he drinks the working-man's beer and wears blue jeans. Unless they can show that they're better at the aforementioned skill set, no matter how likable they are, they're not a good candidate. Look at Mandel: despicable man, truly, but IMHO the best mayor we've had as long as I've been a resident of this city.

C2E SME

As a plumber, I think I would make an excellent heart surgeon and/or Prime Minister, and am offended that you feel otherwise.

But seriously, I agree with you to an extent. Politicians have to be politicians to get things done. Obama's been a good example of a brilliant person who just isn't that good of a politician in terms of getting things done and doing the dirty work to do so. That being said, I think it's important for someone to have some real world experience outside of politics, and Iveson has basically none. He went straight from the post secondary, to working for a post secondary newspaper, to politics. I think that's a significant weakness of his. On the other hand, just because someone is a brilliant business person like Belinda Stronach or PK Peladeau, doesn't mean they won't be an absolutely awful politician.

Quote Originally Posted by 2cents
    A plumber's experience is all real world, no I wouldn't want him operating on me but having him on council is probably as good as the next guy. Particularly if he runs his own successful business or supervises staff, works with clients etc.

I look forward to your vote.

His inability to take voters feelings into consideration would, in my opinion, constitute a failure to do exactly what I suggested a good politician does - source information to make good policy. I would expect someone with a degree in political science and a background in journalism to be good at researching public opinion, then researching the matter, and making sound policy. Hence my tepid endorsement: he's OK, but if a better candidate comes along, I'm not going to hesitate to vote for someone else. But I won't be voting for Joe Plumber because he drinks the working-man's beer and wears blue jeans. Unless they can show that they're better at the aforementioned skill set, no matter how likable they are, they're not a good candidate. Look at Mandel: despicable man, truly, but IMHO the best mayor we've had as long as I've been a resident of this city.
    I got a History degree from the UofA a long time ago and I also have a diploma from NAIT. I have worked for the province and the city and also the private sector. I don't know who Joe Plumber is. Most ppl wear jeans and drink beer at one time or the other. I can't draw any conclusions from doing either of those things. The best indicator of potential is past performance. Give me someone who has a record of integrity and success in pretty much any real world field and I will pick that guy 9 times out of 10 over someone who doesn't. And I don't care if he is book smart or a journeyman or self taught. Iveson has never impressed me.
    Last edited by 2cents; 19-10-2016 at 01:03 PM.

As a plumber, I think I would make an excellent heart surgeon and/or Prime Minister, and am offended that you feel otherwise.

But seriously, I agree with you to an extent. Politicians have to be politicians to get things done. Obama's been a good example of a brilliant person who just isn't that good of a politician in terms of getting things done and doing the dirty work to do so. That being said, I think it's important for someone to have some real world experience outside of politics, and Iveson has basically none. He went straight from the post secondary, to working for a post secondary newspaper, to politics. I think that's a significant weakness of his. On the other hand, just because someone is a brilliant business person like Belinda Stronach or PK Peladeau, doesn't mean they won't be an absolutely awful politician.

Quote Originally Posted by 2cents
    A plumber's experience is all real world, no I wouldn't want him operating on me but having him on council is probably as good as the next guy. Particularly if he runs his own successful business or supervises staff, works with clients etc.

I look forward to your vote.
    Hey, if you run you probably have it.

^^I agree with you. A few good Alberta examples to me, from diffferent ends of the political spectrum, are:

Klein - he had worked for the united way, and redcross, was a successful television reporter. You have to be personal / smart and a great communicator to do that.
    Notley - she was a smart lawyer who worked on Workers Compensation cases for union members. She knows how to make an argument and communicate a view.
    Nenshi - worked for a famous management consulting company, then ran his own consulting company that advised non-profit and public sector companies

Their politics are totally different, but they are/were very capable politicians, in large part because of those real world experiences (which are all different, but they all had success with). Iveson doesn't have that, he wrote blogs about stuff he wanted to do, but he doesn't have the social / leadership skills to implement any of it.
    Last edited by moahunter; 19-10-2016 at 01:05 PM.

It takes A LOT more to get elected than sitting on one's butt typing about it though. Like him or not, Iveson went out and actually did it. Who is going to do the same?

^why would anyone want to? You can earn a lot more in other fields (well, maybe he couldn't, aside from future paybacks for decisions he has made, he will probably turn up employed by a property company one day), its a pretty rare breed.
    Last edited by moahunter; 19-10-2016 at 01:16 PM.

It takes A LOT more to get elected than sitting on one's butt typing about it though. Like him or not, Iveson went out and actually did it. Who is going to do the same?
    I don't think Iveson is a bad person and I think he is sincere. He has chosen politics because he wants to do public service as a career. Which is admirable in itself. You can see this in his social housing and suicide initiatives and also his initiatives with First Nations issues. But those type of initiatives aren't really civic per se. But we have so many more fundamental issues that the city isn't handling properly and he doesn't have the skill set to fix. Just not a good situation, not the right guy for the job.

My ideal politician is someone who has a life long interest in public service but not as a profession. Mandel comes to mind, politics as a second career. Youth isn't a virtue in politics, not in this case anyways.
    Last edited by 2cents; 19-10-2016 at 01:32 PM.

He could very likely serve another term as mayor and then move on up to other levels because of those reaching initiatives.

He hadn't been well supported by his administration and its inability to start and quietly (without big loud screwups) accomplish much of his predecessor's lofty goals, and even some of his own.

But really, as in lots of low-level politics, it's about who is going to show up to try, "good" or not. So far he's the default because no one more "good" has (yet) showed up to try.

"good" being a rather ephemeral property that does not always highly correlate with competence.

Quote Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
    I don't think Iveson is a bad person and I think he is sincere. He has chosen politics because he wants to do public service as a career. Which is admirable in itself. You can see this in his social housing and suicide initiatives and also his initiatives with First Nations issues. But those type of initiatives aren't really civic per se. But we have so many more fundamental issues that the city isn't handling properly and he doesn't have the skill set to fix. Just not a good situation, not the right guy for the job.

My ideal politician is someone who has a life long interest in public service but not as a profession. Mandel comes to mind, politics as a second career. Youth isn't a virtue in politics, not in this case anyways.
    Yes, as voters we are all arm chair critics and such back seat drivers. People go into politics for a lot of reasons - some with better motives than others, but that does not mean everything. I understand he has ideas and specific things he wants to do and that is great and I am not against much of that, but running a city is about serving every person here. I think with Iveson, those people that do not line up with his specific interests may fall off the radar and because of his lack of real world experience I am not sure he has a clue how the average Edmontonian lives. Maybe its not so much arrogance, although that comes across a some, but more lack of interest in some things. I am not against him, nor do I consider him bad, but he still needs to grow as a person and I don't see signs that he really wants to do that.

He could very likely serve another term as mayor and then move on up to other levels because of those reaching initiatives.

He hadn't been well supported by his administration and its inability to start and quietly (without big loud screwups) accomplish much of his predecessor's lofty goals, and even some of his own.

But really, as in lots of low-level politics, it's about who is going to show up to try, "good" or not. So far he's the default because no one more "good" has (yet) showed up to try.

"good" being a rather ephemeral property that does not always highly correlate with competence.
    I don't consider the Mayor of Edmonton as low level politics though. Maybe councilor, but a skilled and competent mayor can be extremely effective and make as much difference in ppls day to day lives as the Premier.

There is a streak of shining white knight in Iveson that I find annoying. These end poverty and racism initiatives point to that. He doesn't respect tax payers enough, his handling of photo radar is a good example.

It hasn't been high level enough to attract significant candidates or even significant voting interest, that's what I was getting at. Junior politics, perhaps. It certainly isn't a trivial position, but in my 4 decades of being a voter it hasn't attracted candidates that I would consider high-powered in any way. Good earnest people, but more a case of selecting from volunteers than hiring someone to run our business.

Mr. Mayor is young, and idealistic, in a government city. The next election will be the first shake-out of how his goals and methods are received by the wide electorate, and how he responds thereafter.

^^I agree with you. A few good Alberta examples to me, from diffferent ends of the political spectrum, are:

Klein - he had worked for the united way, and redcross, was a successful television reporter. You have to be personal / smart and a great communicator to do that.
    Notley - she was a smart lawyer who worked on Workers Compensation cases for union members. She knows how to make an argument and communicate a view.
    Nenshi - worked for a famous management consulting company, then ran his own consulting company that advised non-profit and public sector companies

Their politics are totally different, but they are/were very capable politicians, in large part because of those real world experiences (which are all different, but they all had success with). Iveson doesn't have that, he wrote blogs about stuff he wanted to do, but he doesn't have the social / leadership skills to implement any of it.
    Harper was a trained career politician, you were a big fan, and he did rather well. Good candidates come from all walks. What matters is if they have the skills. I had expected Iveson to have more considering he was essentially trained, like Harper was, to be a politician.

^he worked for Imperial Oil, in the mail room, then later in computer systems (both in Edmonton, worked his way up), before getting a masters in economics and focusing on politics. I think he may been more charismatic if he had done more prior to going into politics. He was very successful at building teams though, he untied a split right, which hadn't been done until then. I haven't seen that from Iveson, who is his team on Council to get stuff done?
    Last edited by moahunter; 19-10-2016 at 02:25 PM.

C2E Continued Contributor

He has done a good job so far.
    live for happiness because without it everything seems ho hum

I voted for Iveson, but he has been a huge letdown.

I think he's doing OK, but I think he's mostly riding everything Mandel and the council he painstakingly built set in motion. I'm not sure he's the one to keep that going. Mandel was outspoken to those holding back the city (airport land and arena opponents) while Iveson seems to be picking battles with the general public (people trying to cross the High Level, people asking hard questions about photo radar usage).

At one time I heard mention that Iveson was Mandel's protégé in a way. Mandel did move this city forward in a huge way. C.C. Airport, Rogers Place, we just have to go downtown to see that. He also put down many initiatives to move it even further (LRT). Iveson does not seem to have gained any momentum of his own. He also gets distracted too easily to do PR work for the city (reminds me of Nenshi). Like the last couple of racist issues (guy on bike/guy getting called racist names). Let the cops handle it if need be. No need to be fiddling around with hash tags and pompous indignation. In fact I think Iveson would probably make a better P R person for the city than a mayor. And I know, you have to be a bit of a PR person to be a mayor.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

i think one of the issues in this thread - and not only in this thread - are the assumptions that major changes or projects can be put in place quickly and that they can be implemented quickly.

yes, many of the shiny new toy initiatives were started under previous mayors and, it must be noted, also under previous provincial and federal governments. and i supported most of them.

and yes, some of the issues arising from their implementation and completion have taken headlines under the current administration.

and yes, some of the initiatives and choices undertaken by this administration have proven to have been made in haste with less than stellar results.

but it needs to be noted that many of the things undertaken by this administration may not be "shiny new baubles" but their successful implementation will have far reaching and long-lived implications for the city of edmonton.

one of the foremost examples of this is recognizing that the previous city manager was not a good fit for where we were and where we needed to go. the hiring of linda cochrane was a courageous and bold step - it would have been much easier to select another outsider to come in and show us how to do things. it took vision to recognize internal, home grown talent and took faith to support her visions in restructuring administration and supporting the introduction of a more appropriate and responsible management structure with the accountability that goes along with that.

in addition to upgrading the city's own administration, the attention being given on how to best integrate the overlapping functions and roles of economic development and edmonton tourism and northlands etc., on the importance of regional cooperation (not just on planning and cost sharing but on things like business development on a regional basis) will all have long term impacts as will recognizing the importance of creating and supporting business clusters like our start-up/tech sector or our health sector.

they might not be as shiny or as photogenic as our new arena but many of these things are just as important. although i remain somewhat mystified as to why the galleria project - which ticks off so many of these boxes on all fronts - still doesn't get the championing it deserves.

the jury may still be out (as reflected in many of the comments here), but thinking that long-term legacies can be assessed in less than 36 months simply demonstrates a lack of understanding. while it is probably fair to comment on style and on direction, it's far too early to make any definitive conclusions.
    Last edited by kcantor; 19-10-2016 at 03:22 PM.

^36 months in politics is a long time.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^36 months in politics is a long time.
    36 hours in politics can be a long time - it's one of the problems with politics.

but it's only a long time because there are unrealistic expectations of what can be accomplished in government by any government in a short period of time.

and yes, 36 months is a short period of time.

and yes, i recognize that's in no small part because of the expectations raised/promises made by those politicians while campaigning. but why we continually accept/believe that particular expectation/promise is still something i don't understand. or perhaps i do understand it. i just don't happen to agree with it.

Well I don't think Iveson has filed his papers to run again but he just might. As far as I know no one else has stepped forward stating they want to run. It's early days yet. Who knows, we might have to go another round with him.

Polls has Iveson cruising to second term

So far in this thread it seems his chassis is bent, the wheels have falling off, his motor is smoking, the transmission is broken, the spark plugs aren't firing and his big end has fallen off.

i think one of the issues in this thread - and not only in this thread - are the assumptions that major changes or projects can be put in place quickly and that they can be implemented quickly.
    Because other mayors do that, while Iveson has been dithering, Nenshi built effective bike lanes downtown, put a curb on high end sprawl by implementing a strategically phased suburban growth plan (going toe-toe with a developer who campaigned against him), and watched inner city growth at a rate in East Village and other areas that Iveson can only dream of. Maybe that experience of running his own management consulting firm taught him how to win support and implement, not just talk about, change? There are dozens of city paid for studies and plans to do the same in Edmonton, all sitting dusty on shelves, because people say nothing can be implemented quickly, but then, that's what some people want, status quo, because a suburban city with an empty donut center works for them?
    Last edited by moahunter; 19-10-2016 at 05:25 PM.

As much as Don has been Mayor for only 3 years, he's pretty much exactly the Mayor we'd have expected from Councillor Don, who we had 6 years to get to know. I thought he was a fine councillor but did not think he had the right aptitudes for the mayoral office & my fears have largely been borne out over the last three years.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

^That's a good way to put it. He's a fine councilor. He should go back to that maybe.

Because other mayors do that, while Iveson has been dithering, Nenshi built effective bike lanes downtown, put a curb on high end sprawl by implementing a strategically phased suburban growth plan (going toe-toe with a developer who campaigned against him), and watched inner city growth at a rate in East Village and other areas that Iveson can only dream of. Maybe that experience of running his own management consulting firm taught him how to win support and implement, not just talk about, change? There are dozens of city paid for studies and plans to do the same in Edmonton, all sitting dusty on shelves, because people say nothing can be implemented quickly, but then, that's what some people want, status quo, because a suburban city with an empty donut center works for them?
    One think I liked about Iveson is that he seems to have a vision, but I agree implementation seems to be a real problem.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

moa, sometimes you're just so full of your pro-calgary anti-developer rhetoric that you can't see the water in the river for the trees on the bank...

we're talking about an edmonton mayor's city progress in less than the last 36 months with the economy being in the tank for most of it.

don't compare iveson's first term with nenshi's second. calgary's downtown cycle tracks are still relatively new and still a pilot project that will go to council at the end of this year for review. a success that will be built upon? i would think so. a long-term historical part of their culture? afraid not.

and then you bring up calgary's east village for which a 1/3 of a billion dollar crl commitment was secured in 2007 and which rode one of the strongest economic upturns the province has ever seen. and that 1/3 of a billion didn't include adjacent projects and upgrading of everything from a pedestrian bridge over the bow to a 160,000 sf national music centre to a new downtown library... and if you want to give proper credit for the east village, it belongs to bronconnier, not nenshi.

if you're so disgusted with our uncompleted, unimplemented plans and so enamoured with calgary's successes, you should move there. and as long as you choose not to, i would have to assume edmonton is at least doing enough to keep you here instead of moving to calgary so chalk one up for the home town.
    Last edited by kcantor; 19-10-2016 at 05:49 PM.

^You are the one who claimed change can't happen quickly, and I pointed out it can. Calgary has changed dramatically under Nenshi, perhaps the previous mayor is to some extent responsible for that, but why then didn't Edmonton achieve the same with the help of its previous mayor? Aside from Ice District, I don't see that. Iveson is going in the exact opposite direction to what Calgaries polices were, including for example, annexing land instead of phasing suburban growth. Under Ivesons leadership / decisions, billions of dollars are going to be invested in suburban growth to the airport over the next decade, while the Quarters remains empty, and Blatchford struggles to win support. I think that's abject failure. You are welcome to pretend all that extra growth downtown in Calgary is because you think, or I think, Calgary is a better city, but I don't think it is, I think its just Calgary has had better leadership, and that Edmonton deserves that as well. Iveson talked the talk, then as soon as he came in, he abandoned the views in his blog, the type of views Nenshi actually implemented. I think that's a shame, I hope someone else with more energy and ability steps up and builds on the Ice District and LRT, and makes the quarters and Blatchford happen, instead of eliminating farmland to YEG.
    Last edited by moahunter; 19-10-2016 at 07:01 PM.

Iveson is a breathe of fresh air but I also feel he needs a bit of seasoning as well. His rants/criticisms of citizens who bring up concerns or questions seem ill-advised, pouty and a bit unprofessional. I think he also needs to watch the city's purse a bit as our spending/borrowing is getting a bit up there if I recall correctly which is maybe why he isn't really forwarding any new projects other than downtown stuff which is a great investment for the city.

why does anyone have issues with Iveson ?? look at Mandel, a lot of people doesn't like what he have done with arena deal but he did done a good job by closing down city airport that fuel the growth of downtown. but right now economy is weak, it is not fair to boo Iveson down for not doing a good job as a mayor.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

did you fail to read this thread? There are many many legitimate reasons not to like what he has or hasnt done.

He was trained in obtaining the most votes, not in making sound decisions. Those are very different kinds of capabilities and seems to be highly independent (but not necessarily mutually exclusive) of each other.

Sounds like I should give my vote to Don next time.

It hasn't been high level enough to attract significant candidates or even significant voting interest, that's what I was getting at. Junior politics, perhaps. It certainly isn't a trivial position, but in my 4 decades of being a voter it hasn't attracted candidates that I would consider high-powered in any way. Good earnest people, but more a case of selecting from volunteers than hiring someone to run our business.

Mr. Mayor is young, and idealistic, in a government city. The next election will be the first shake-out of how his goals and methods are received by the wide electorate, and how he responds thereafter.
    It's junior politics because there are no political parties at the civic level. Makes you wonder what effect there would be if candidates ran under parties or even slates. Probably create as many problems as it would solve, but a big problem with councils in general is a lack of a cohesive and deliberate plan. Slates would make sense but would be difficult to initiate and coordinate.
    Last edited by 2cents; 23-10-2016 at 06:49 AM.

Will I vote for Don again? It all depends on who else , if anyone, will also be running. It's good to have a choice instead of the incumbent getting the position by default and making the assumption that voters are behind him/her all the way. He and some of the other members of council seem to be great at suggesting expensive projects and quite silent in proposals of saving the City some money. This present administration, with some exceptions, are very wasteful. Tearing down perfectly good footbridges to accommodate the new L.R.T. line is blatant stupidity. The line could easily run a few metres to one side of the footbridge. The old 105 Street Bridge could remain as a Pedestrian/Cyclist crossing. Please Council do not say this bridge is Old, that's a load of bunk. Go to Europe and learn what Old is! Anyway depending on the choices available, Don Iverson may be the Devil we know and he'll get my vote.
    Last edited by Komorosky; 23-10-2016 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Komorosky View Post
    Tearing down perfectly good footbridges to accommodate the new L.R.T. line is blatant stupidity. The line could easily run a few metres to one side of the footbridge.
    Nope, too many piers in the river. It's discussed in the Valley Line FAQ.

Spudly: The FAQs are compiled to support whatever project the City is trying to promote. I have read the statement on the Piers:

"The existing bridge crossing is already a disturbed corridor along the River Valley, and so building a new bridgealong this same corridor reduces the river crossing footprint and the overall environmental impacts (in fact, thenew combined LRT and pedestrian bridge has one less pier than the existing pedestrian bridge, impeding the flowof the North Saskatchewan River less than the current bridge)."

and looked around the area and there certainly seems to be enough room to accomplish an adjustment to avoid demolishing the footbridge but I realize that a lot of attempted dissuasion has already been tried to no avail. You can't beat City Hall!
    Last edited by Komorosky; 24-10-2016 at 10:15 AM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Iveson has made some key failures from the urban perspective, I agree.

I see these as:

- Believing that denser sprawl solves the urban sprawl problem. It doesn't - it just creates unbearable traffic - and in the meantime inner areas are languishing in an underdeveloped state.

- Failing to negotiate hard enough when large towers are proposed (Emerald tower comes to mind - an architectural abomination that Iveson and Council had to give special permission to build)

- Failing to start any new signature projects (Iveson talked briefly about creating an urban edge at the river valley but no progress)

- Slow progress on LRT (Millwoods has started - I was hoping West LRT would also be underway by now)

- Gets into unnecessary disagreements with the provincial government (e.g. wanting carbon tax exemption) that harms the relationship. This is puzzling because Iveson should be ideologically similar to the NDP gov't.

His positives:

- Has a strong national image (works well with the big city mayors group, and appears regularly on national television)

- Good at "branding" initiatives (such as make something Edmonton, city tourism marketing, twitter campaigns on issues, etc)

- Regional cooperation seems to be improving under his mayoralty

- City charter for Edmonton has the potential to drastically change civic governance (he gets some credit but not all)

^I'd agree with all of that.

Yes, Civic Governance = Another way for city council to find ways to fleece taxpayers pockets. Budgets are never cut, and unheard of to hold the line on them. Geez what's a cut back. No, best way to go forward would be to con the taxpayer into coughing up more cash. Ka Ching. Iveson would be top notch at that.

What are these people thinking?. C of E are now going to install metal detectors and erect a glass wall around council chambers.
    As far as I know there has never been any violence in council chambers. What is wrong with these people. Apparently city admin don't like sitting with their backs to the public. Making an issue where there really is none. The article states:

But even the most raucous recent event, the taxi driver protests over Uber, were not violent. Administration declined to comment because this was a private report.

This is true, no one got violent. Then we have Big Don giving money to EPS to form a Terrorist Bureau FFS. I don't know what kind of picture they are trying to paint of Edmonton but we just welcomed a few thousand peaceful immigrants from a war torn country known for it's terrorist. How does that look to these immigrants.
    Welcome to Edmonton but a few short months later Edmonton opens a Terrorist Bureau for the first time in it's history.
    We should have a new pamphlets printed. Welcome to Edmonton, visit or new Terrorist Bureau and get frisked by security at City Hall. We hear from EPS, the mayor, councillors that Edmonton is a safe city. Anytime there is a flustercluck we hear that. Talk about mixed messages.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...uncil-chambers
    Last edited by Gemini; 26-10-2016 at 10:29 PM.

Gosh, if they are doing things like that, then maybe we all need to consider carrying handguns ourselves while we're out and about.

Would rather have the administration seated elsewhere (like three stations all facing each other: a council desk, an administration desk, and a public seating zone) than have the glass wall, but I'm fine with the metal detectors.

Someone should ask Iveson or Knecht flat out if Edmonton is a safe city. If they say yes the next question should be 'why are you putting up barriers in council chambers and putting metal detectors at the doors of City Hall'. If it's safe why are you opening a Terrorist Bureau. I'm sure we the taxpayers could think of dozens of more uses for the money on these pet projects. The C of E seems to have too much discretionary money to spend but each year taxes go up.

C of E new security measures.

https://youtu.be/d87ZCAWl01U

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Would rather have the administration seated elsewhere (like three stations all facing each other: a council desk, an administration desk, and a public seating zone) than have the glass wall, but I'm fine with the metal detectors.

Metal detectors and bag checks seem a sad fact of modern life. But that wall … Symbols matter in a democracy. Building a wall, even one topped with glass, sends an appalling message to the public. It screams “us” versus “them” when local government should be about the collective “we.”

Some staff apparently, according to a city survey, have said they feel unsafe with their backs to the public. The answer is to adjust the seating plan, not throw up a structure from the Donald Trump playbook.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/e...-for-city-hall

Exactly.

Someone should ask Iveson or Knecht flat out if Edmonton is a safe city. If they say yes the next question should be 'why are you putting up barriers in council chambers and putting metal detectors at the doors of City Hall'. If it's safe why are you opening a Terrorist Bureau. I'm sure we the taxpayers could think of dozens of more uses for the money on these pet projects. The C of E seems to have too much discretionary money to spend but each year taxes go up.
    I'm with Iveson on this one, I don't see the big deal re metal detectors, you get them at hockey games now, at night clubs, its not a big deal, its just a safety issue.

Metal detectors are fine, the glass in front of them is not. Is there a price tag?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

I'm with Iveson on this one, I don't see the big deal re metal detectors, you get them at hockey games now, at night clubs, its not a big deal, its just a safety issue.
    if there's really a safety issue that metal detectors will alleviate, having them at the entrance to council chambers seems a silly place to address it. when you talk about having them at hockey games and night clubs, they're at the entrance to the building, not within the building. you don't go through a metal detector every time you leave your seat at a hockey game to visit a concession or the washroom. you don't go through a metal detector every time you want to stop on to the dance floor.

and what's so special about council chambers per se? what about the river valley room or the heritage room? or kids in the hall? or the parkade? or the tunnel to chancery place?

if it's truly a safety issue, then metal detectors should be at every entrance to city hall, not at places within city hall where you are often "in and out" over the course of the same visit on public business (which is how it's done at the courthouse). if this is truly an issue, the resolution that was adopted seems to me to be quite misplaced and ineffective in everything except sending the wrong message.

There are some saying 'well Calgary is doing this'. Now is this a reason we should follow. Calgary has it so we want it too. Good point about the detectors just being put outside the council chambers. I guess they think they are the only ones that count. It would be ironic if a fracas started outside the chambers.
    I get tired of hearing the hierarchy saying Edmonton is a safe city then they go and pull stunts like this. If it's not broke don't fix it.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor
    if it's truly a safety issue, then metal detectors should be at every entrance to city hall, not at places within city hall where you are often "in and out" over the course of the same visit on public business (which is how it's done at the courthouse). if this is truly an issue, the resolution that was adopted seems to me to be quite misplaced and ineffective in everything except sending the wrong message.

Security theatre, they call it. Even for something like Roger's Place, metal detectors hardly do anything to improve security. Oh sure, if you were trying to smuggle a bomb or gun in to Roger's Place to set it off or go on a rampage, that's more difficult now. But instead, you now have a soft target of a thousand or more people lining up to go through the metal detectors. You've accomplished basically nothing, in terms of actual security. But it makes everyone feel better, for some odd reason.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_theater

Usually these kinds of security measures arrive in response to a specific threat or threats, obviously never disclosed, including their location.

They're probably putting these in because someone somewhere threatened something. And that's all we'll ever know.
    Last edited by AShetsen; 28-10-2016 at 12:45 PM.

Gemini: The "Security Guy" in the U-Tube Video looked like he was "enjoying" his job! A bit like the possibility of having Perverts manning the Underwater Cameras at some of the C of E swimming Pools.

Metal detectors and bag checks seem a sad fact of modern life. But that wall … Symbols matter in a democracy. Building a wall, even one topped with glass, sends an appalling message to the public. It screams “us” versus “them” when local government should be about the collective “we.”

Some staff apparently, according to a city survey, have said they feel unsafe with their backs to the public. The answer is to adjust the seating plan, not throw up a structure from the Donald Trump playbook.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/e...-for-city-hall

Exactly.
    It's not a good sign when this sort of thing happens either for society as a whole or for city council in particular. They might keep some disgruntled people out of City Hall, but come election time they can still vote - perhaps that should be the mayor and city council's bigger concern.

One of my beefs about the current mayor and some on council is they are not very good listeners. When someone is upset about something, listening to them and trying to understand their concerns and problems, rather than lecturing them tends to keep things from escalating.

Gemini: The "Security Guy" in the U-Tube Video looked like he was "enjoying" his job! A bit like the possibility of having Perverts manning the Underwater Cameras at some of the C of E swimming Pools.
    You know that old saying. Get a job you like and you will never work a day in your life.

You know that old saying. Get a job you like and you will never work a day in your life.
    What that saying? “People leave managers, not companies", or "People don’t leave companies, they leave managers", something like that.

Anyway, on employing people that enjoy the job, the same can be said about the motivations behind people becoming priests, corporate leaders, radio and tv personalities, presidents, etc.
    Last edited by KC; 29-10-2016 at 08:34 AM.

How on Earth are you guys on topic here?

Let's try to be clear here, what exactly are we looking for in the upcoming elections for change?
    How do we want our money spent?

I personally have lived in ward 2 my entire life and I still have not met my councilor yet. We need people who relate to us. I don't think Iveson is the ideal person for the mayoral role and I would love to see some serious shifting in the council seating.

Do you expect your councillor to come meet you? Council wards are 60 - 100k of population. Hardly time to go door to door and have coffee with everyone. Have you tried to contact your council?

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Do you expect your councillor to come meet you? Council wards are 60 - 100k of population. Hardly time to go door to door and have coffee with everyone. Have you tried to contact your council?
    Mandel never came by my house either. However I've done neighbourhood fund raising and a lot of people won't even come to their door so door knocking seems to be a waste of time these days.
    Last edited by KC; 16-01-2017 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by schons View Post
    I personally have lived in ward 2 my entire life and I still have not met my councilor yet. We need people who relate to us. I don't think Iveson is the ideal person for the mayoral role and I would love to see some serious shifting in the council seating.

Consider yourself blessed.

^lol. If you want to meet a Councilor, go to one of the many COE information sessions when developments or plans are doing for your neighbourhood. Or just go to city hall (I chatted to one in an elevator). I do meet more federal politicians though - they seem to knock on doors a bit more.

Let's try to be clear here, what exactly are we looking for in the upcoming elections for change?

I meet my local councilor and MLA all the time at community league events, and have great conversations with them. If you want to engage with them, do you make the effort, or do you just sit inside your house waiting for them to show up? If you want better results, try something new.

For the record, Esslinger and Loken both come by our community often (Loken's ward borders Griesbach on two sides so he's rather involved), as does David Eggen. Wonderful people. Kerry Diotte has never made an appearance.

C2E Long Term Contributor

I see Scott McKeen aka Colonel Sanders at many downtown events and meetings. I also find him reasonably ok when it comes to responding to emails, though I think Henderson is best at responding.

I'll also put this here:
    Mainstreet poll shows strong support for Edmonton mayor; council fares worst in country
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...rst-in-country
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

The Journal must have polled a lot of bicycle riders, transit users and doofuses to arrive at a rating of strong support for Iveson. Anyway, the polling went out to a small amount of people and know breakdown of age, sex etc. I should imagine he appeals to the over 25 under 40 set who 'think' like him. I like my councillor and I have not met him, he will get my vote again.

I meet my local councilor and MLA all the time at community league events, and have great conversations with them. If you want to engage with them, do you make the effort, or do you just sit inside your house waiting for them to show up? If you want better results, try something new.

For the record, Esslinger and Loken both come by our community often (Loken's ward borders Griesbach on two sides so he's rather involved), as does David Eggen. Wonderful people. Kerry Diotte has never made an appearance.

I'm quite involved in my community and others for that fact. I've heard people discuss Loken visiting just to keep his vote not because he cares. I've met with my MLA and MP who are very involved and quick to respond. I don't see that from a few of the council members. I want to see younger faces and fresh ideas being brought up. Our youth are growing up in this amazing city and I for one would love to see more youth involvement. Not saying that Loken is a bad apple or against him just simply stating how I see things.

Change is always good.

I really want to vote for Don, but total douchebag comment (yet again) by him in response to the realities facing independent business people (who he apparently has little use for):

"This is a short-term construction issue," Iveson says of the bike lane. "Whether it's a bike lane or something else, it will pass."

Really? Three years and still counting fat head:
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/politics/david-staples-bridge-bike-lane-brings-construction-hell-to-glenora-businesses

Unforgivable. Maybe your time has passed Don.
    ... gobsmacked

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast