Thread: 1970 Edmonton prediction

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default 1970 Edmonton prediction

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Ahhh the innocence of the hippie era. Shorter work week, clean air and a very strong economy. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    Ahhh the innocence of the hippie era. Shorter work week, clean air and a very strong economy. *sigh*
    Very interesting. I love it when people dig through the pre-internet archives!

Maybe they were partly correct. Average out working hours between booms and busts, working flat out until the next layoff, and the work week might be a lot shorter.

Excellent find. Sounds a bit more like an ad for Calgary. The population estimate of one million is pretty close to accurate and we would have hit the mark except for all the busts between the booms. We beat out Ottawa but lost to Calgary for a solid 5th position. Missed gold, silver and bronze. Not aluminum either, just lead.

Lots of part time jobs as companies won't give you more than 30 hours. You end up needing two or 3 jobs

The rest of us work 55 hours a week just to make payments on all our toys.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 03-11-2016 at 10:50 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Where do you get this clean air from? I was 18 in 1970 and there's no difference in air quality today then it was in 1970.Yeesh, you lefties.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E Posting Power

^ A good argument can be made that the air quality was actually much worse in 1970. Leaded gasoline, no catalytic converters, all transit buses emitted diesel exhaust at street level (below the rear bumper), cigarette smoking much more prevalent and permitted everywhere, little if any awareness of damage caused by asbestos, CFC's, etc.

case in point

Los Angeles 1948

LA Civic center taken in January 6, 1948, Courtesy of UCLA Library Special Collections - Los Angeles Times Photographic Archive.

http://geoprojectgrp7.blogspot.ca/20...-location.html
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
    ^ A good argument can be made that the air quality was actually much worse in 1970. Leaded gasoline, no catalytic converters, all transit buses emitted diesel exhaust at street level (below the rear bumper), cigarette smoking much more prevalent and permitted everywhere, little if any awareness of damage caused by asbestos, CFC's, etc.
    Depends on where you lived. I was in East Van at the time and in those days Vancouver was a grimy dirty city. New West especially. So saying air quality in 1970 was better then today, is false in some cases.

^^ Case in point, thanks Edmonton PRT

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Where do you get this clean air from? I was 18 in 1970 and there's no difference in air quality today then it was in 1970.Yeesh, you lefties.
    You guys completely misunderstood my post. This is why I used the word "innocence". Clean air, shorter work week, very strong economy. We all know that for the most part none of it has occurred. Yeesh.