Thread: Queen Elizabeth II Planetarium | Renovation | Proposed

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Queen Elizabeth II Planetarium | Renovation | Proposed

Stars align for restoration of 'mysterious, mystical' planetarium
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...874773?cmp=rss

After sitting for years vacant and neglected in Coronation Park, the stars have finally aligned for the Queen Elizabeth II Planetarium.

The city and Telus World of Science have reached an agreement to restore the iconic building.

The property, which has been granted historic designation, will be renovated as an educational, reception and production space for the science centre, and will be also be rented out for small public events.

The city has commissioned Architecture Tkalcic Bengert to come up with designs to restore the domed structure to its former glory.

"The building itself is exquisite," said Alan Nursall, president and CEO of Telus World of Science. "It's this wonderful little bit of modernist architecture. I mean, you look at the site and you know, that was built in 1960.

Construction is scheduled to start in 2017, and the plan is to have the building reopen in 2018. The project will have a budget of $6.6 million.

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'd rather C2E than work!

$6 million well spent.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I remember going there in my school days before the Space Sciences Centre was built. Good to see it being finally put to use again.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Same....Was amazed as a kid sitting there looking up and wondering about Star Wars!

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!

I've been hunting around for years to see if someone had any plans for it.

Yeah, by going there as a kid I got my picture in the paper.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I saw Jupiter through a telescope in the field out from the QEII Planetarium. It actually looked like it does in the photos, though seemed like it was in cartoon form.

C2E Posting Power

This is awesome.

C2E Posting Power

Out of curiosity is there anything going on with this now? I know they were doing construction last year on it but it's still fenced up but nothing going on all summer there.

They're just waiting for the roof to collapse so they can say it's too late to do anything about saving it. SOP for the city.

Queen Elizabeth II Planetarium Redevelopment

It was supposed to be done this year - just 4 months left of 2018
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

The last time I was by there, in June very little had been done. They do need to work on the overhanging ceiling as the rebar in it is rusting and ceramic tile and and concrete pieces are falling now and then

Great to see this being restored! It was one of my first childhood memories of when my grade one class had gone there on a "field trip", that was a friggin 49 years ago !!

C2E SME

Never been there, but looking forward to seeing it brought back to life.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Quote Originally Posted by TRtower View Post
    Great to see this being restored! It was one of my first childhood memories of when my grade one class had gone there on a "field trip", that was a friggin 49 years ago !!
    Yeah, kindergarten here. While entering, a kid coming out glanced up at the bright sun and said, "We really did stay over night!" The premise of the show being the simulation of a full night under the stars. Skeptical, I had my mom confirm I had not gone missing the previous day.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by TRtower View Post

haha...same. Where did the time go.