Thread: Out of the Dark Ages: Legalization of Marijuana by the Liberals On Track!

Default Out of the Dark Ages: Legalization of Marijuana by the Liberals On Track!

The "highlights" are in this article. The backwards CON agenda is further repudiated.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mari...orce-1.3893876
    Last edited by The Man From YEG; 13-12-2016 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Change word to repudiated

Edible pot products will also be legalized but they must not be "appealing to children" and cannot mimic familiar food items or be packaged to look like candy.
    So basically they're gonna have to make THC-infused Brussels sprouts? Liver & onions & indica & sativa? Krazy kale?
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Edible pot products will also be legalized but they must not be "appealing to children" and cannot mimic familiar food items or be packaged to look like candy.
    So basically they're gonna have to make THC-infused Brussels sprouts? Liver & onions & indica & sativa? Krazy kale?
    With the side effect of increased accidental consumption of some healthy foods.

It'll be brownies and cookies, but they won't be allowed to be marketed to children. So the packaging will be adult than rainbows and cartoons. No big deal.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I am split on the whole issue. On one hand, making pot illegal has put a lot of low level offenders in jail for long periods while the big crime organizations are immune. Going legal can reduce crime and the syndicates.

I also have a paraplegic friend that has muscle spasms that cannot be controlled without expensive, high power prescription drugs with many side effects that are not as effective as half a joint. Problem is, his father is a cop so there are issues there. Recreational use is fine but there are issues with people driving or working under the influence. Pot today is also not your fathers marijuana with sky high THC levels and almost no CBD, that being bred out. I know people who have had real addiction issues with the new pot and become quite incapacitated by it which has affected their schooling, work and social circles. Anxiety attacks and psychotic events have resulted in family strife and interventions. Also, we are trying to eliminate tobacco smoking on one hand as a health issue and now allowing smoking of another plant, without even filters. The Government has known for decades that tobacco smoking was harmful but gleefully collected taxes and then when pressured, sued the tobacco companies for medical costs and even today still collect taxes. That is kind of a duplicitous arrangement. I am concerned that although the government reassures us that the taxes will help balance the budget, I believe the legalization of pot is at best a zero sum game with costs to society, healthcare and reduction in productivity.

If the government was really serious to give people the most medical benefit, they should set standards for the amount of THC and CBD. CBD may have the most benefit medically yet very little research has been done because the Big Pharma has no interest in developing medicines or doing research that they will be unable to patent and profit because anyone can grow their own.

Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

About time. Although its not true Legalization until we release all non harmful Cannabis prisoners. Many people lives have been ruined over personal possession. Nice to see they will allow personal growing still. This will offset the market and still ensure that there is quality cannabis regardless of government set THC limits or other silliness.

This is a step forward yes. But a small step.
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Yeah, it's a bit like Canada's earlier entry to WWII, carbon taxes, etc. Right or wrong, being out of sync with the US could cause headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    About time. Although its not true Legalization until we release all non harmful Cannabis prisoners. Many people lives have been ruined over personal possession. Nice to see they will allow personal growing still. This will offset the market and still ensure that there is quality cannabis regardless of government set THC limits or other silliness.

Past users broke the law of the day. I don't expect any light treatment of them.

C2E SME

The War on Drugs has been a complete and total failure in absolutely every respect. Hundreds of billions of dollars wasted, countless lives lost to overdose, gang violence, on and on it goes. Finally some common sense is setting in among our politicians and things are starting to move in a better direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    The War on Drugs has been a complete and total failure in absolutely every respect. Hundreds of billions of dollars wasted, countless lives lost to overdose, gang violence, on and on it goes. Finally some common sense is setting in among our politicians and things are starting to move in a better direction.

For the last 8 decades I guess they bought into the; "it's an apples to oranges comparison" or "This time is different..." arguments. In the meantime I bet many high level officials have used drugs at some point, never got caught, or never caught and convicted, and didn't mind seeing a lot of other users have their lives permanently ruined - by being caught and convicted.

80 Years Ago Today We Repealed Alcohol Prohibition, Now It’s Time to End Drug Prohibition
    12/05/2013

Eighty years ago today, ...alcohol Prohibition was officially repealed. If you only know one thing about Prohibition, it’s probably the fact that it was a tremendous failure. Making alcohol illegal led to huge increases in organized crime, corruption, and violence. For many of the reasons that led to its repeal, the same arguments can be made for why we need to end the war on drugs.

Not to oversimplify things, but the Eighteenth Amendment (which established national prohibition) made a sizeable portion of the population criminals overnight. Even though the sale and manufacturing of alcohol was criminalized, the majority of the people who drank responsibly wanted to continue to do so. ..."

It’s costing us way too much money trying to enforce prohibition. One of the main reasons Prohibition was repealed was because it was an unenforceable policy. Today, half of what we spend on law enforcement and the criminal justice system is for drug law enforcement. The U.S. has the highest incarceration rate in the world. And despite all these efforts, drugs are cheaper and purer than ever before. Instead of ..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/derek-...b_4392354.html

Are these cases of 'above the law' privilege in the 1920s & 30s:

Twentieth Century First Ladies & Liquor in the White House
    by CARL ANTHONY on FEBRUARY 26, 2016

once Prohibition of alcohol was finally enacted by a constitutional amendment, Edith Roosevelt, by then a former First Lady, resented government determination of what she considered a personal choice and defiantly served cocktails to guests at her home Sagamore Hill.

Nellie Taft ...
    As First Lady, she willfully ignored the lobbying of the Women’s Christian Temperance Union beseeching her to refrain from serving any liquor in the nation’s house. Instead, she let it be known that she took especial pride in her champagne punch, a concoction with ingredients that included cointreau and other flavored alcoholic beverages.

Although Prohibition remained the law, the widowed Mrs. Wilson openly served alcohol to her guests at her private home in Washington.

When the President gathered with cronies to play poker in the privacy of his oval study, however, they....

http://www.firstladies.org/blog/twen...e-white-house/

Everything you ever wanted to know about Prohibition
    The Oxford Companion to Beer
    OCTOBER 21ST 2011

"...
    Those who defied Prohibition therefore tended to become harder drinkers than they had been before. From a position where beer was by far the dominant drink, during Prohibition spirits rose to account for 75% of all alcohol drunk in the United States.

If hypocrisy allowed Americans to keep drinking while supporting Prohibition (one wag said people would “vote dry as long as they were able to stagger to the polls”), the economics of illegal alcohol sales eventually turned public opinion toward thoughts of repeal. Bootleg booze fueled the growth of organized crime across the United States. Most famously,...

http://blog.oup.com/2011/10/prohibition/
    Last edited by KC; 14-12-2016 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    I am split on the whole issue. On one hand, making pot illegal has put a lot of low level offenders in jail for long periods while the big crime organizations are immune. Going legal can reduce crime and the syndicates.

I also have a paraplegic friend that has muscle spasms that cannot be controlled without expensive, high power prescription drugs with many side effects that are not as effective as half a joint. Problem is, his father is a cop so there are issues there. Recreational use is fine but there are issues with people driving or working under the influence. Pot today is also not your fathers marijuana with sky high THC levels and almost no CBD, that being bred out. I know people who have had real addiction issues with the new pot and become quite incapacitated by it which has affected their schooling, work and social circles. Anxiety attacks and psychotic events have resulted in family strife and interventions. Also, we are trying to eliminate tobacco smoking on one hand as a health issue and now allowing smoking of another plant, without even filters. The Government has known for decades that tobacco smoking was harmful but gleefully collected taxes and then when pressured, sued the tobacco companies for medical costs and even today still collect taxes. That is kind of a duplicitous arrangement. I am concerned that although the government reassures us that the taxes will help balance the budget, I believe the legalization of pot is at best a zero sum game with costs to society, healthcare and reduction in productivity.

If the government was really serious to give people the most medical benefit, they should set standards for the amount of THC and CBD. CBD may have the most benefit medically yet very little research has been done because the Big Pharma has no interest in developing medicines or doing research that they will be unable to patent and profit because anyone can grow their own.

Totally Agree. I am 100% in favor of legalization but it drives me crazy when people praise pot as a harmless subtance that will only improve your life.

^It also gives people an advantage in certain sports (e.g. darts, pool, etc.). I agree with legalization, I don't think any drugs are safe, but I think making drugs illegal just doesn't work.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Im going to wait and see. We don't even have a test to see if anyone is high and driving. I dont think this will stop the black market, they have a;ready said they will make it cheaper to buy and stronger..most people smoke this in their own home now. I love the limits of plants you can grow, how do they intend to keep that in line? You can also buy it online, LOL what farce ..

I feel sorry for Margaret Trudeau, she said she smokes it to make her moon shine brighter, well thank goodness I think the moon is bright enough

C2E Continued Contributor

^ to me the "we don't have a reliable method of testing to check for drug impaired drivers," excuse is a bit of a scapegoat. Yes, it is a concern but even as marijuana remains illegal people are still driving while high. I don't think there is any evidence suggesting that once it's legalized that more people will decide to drive while high. The people who choose to smoke and drive now will be the same ones that will choose to do it in the future. The people who smoke and don't drive now likely won't choose to do so just because recreational use will be legal.

In addition to that we already have a law, driving while impaired, that covers any kind of impairment including impairment from prescription drugs. As far as I know police are currently able to lay charges for DWI even though we don't have any scientific way of testing yet. Would having a scientific way of testing for drug impairment be a good thing? Yes. Will we have that in the near future? I hope so! But to suggest that because we don't have it yet pot should remain illegal is ludicrous to me.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post

Past users broke the law of the day. I don't expect any light treatment of them.
    Even if a current government decides that the past law was wrong and repeals it?

Convictions for marijuana-related violence and weapons offenses should stand, but all historical marijuana possession convictions should disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    It'll be brownies and cookies, but they won't be allowed to be marketed to children. So the packaging will be adult than rainbows and cartoons. No big deal.
    Kids in Colorado and elsewhere have already been harmed by pot gummy bears and cookies. Kids get into everything including sealed prescription drugs and poisonous chemicals and that was not chocolate covered or sweet.

CBC found that edible pot makers seriously both underestimated and overestimated the amounthe of THC I their products, even from the same location and from batch to batch. Some tests revealed multiple times errors so even the makers are advising on the wrong limit to their customers. Not only kids can accidently be harmed or die but even adults can overdose once the mucous cravings kick in.

"New details are emerging about the case of a 19-year-old who died in Colorado last year after eating six times the recommended dose of a marijuana cookie and then jumping off a fourth-story balcony."

"Gummy candy at a teen’s birthday party is being blamed for sending 19 people, most of them teens and children, to the hospital over the weekend in San Francisco, in what appears to be a mass marijuana overdose.

Doctors reported symptoms including dizziness, confusion, and dilated pupils in patients who ate gummies likely tainted with THC, the psychoactive component of marijuana. Most of the patients were 18 years old or under. The youngest: 6."

It is all a bunch of fun until someone gets killed...
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 14-12-2016 at 05:36 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by hello lady View Post
    Im going to wait and see. We don't even have a test to see if anyone is high and driving. I dont think this will stop the black market, they have a;ready said they will make it cheaper to buy and stronger..most people smoke this in their own home now. I love the limits of plants you can grow, how do they intend to keep that in line? You can also buy it online, LOL what farce ..

I feel sorry for Margaret Trudeau, she said she smokes it to make her moon shine brighter, well thank goodness I think the moon is bright enough
    The wait and see approach doesn't really cut it for society and law makers.

Right now we have people texting while driving without any good testing for that. Currently, alcohol and cigarettes aren't all sold through official channels either.

As for the any failures (lack of testing etc.) I think there should be annual reviews of the laws and consequences for a number of years then slowly extend out the reviews. (Like post cancer screening.) The legislation should include variable fines and even optional provisionary fines that could be invoked without added legislation. Since this might free up space in the jails, maybe illegal traffickers could face stiffer penalties. (A carrot and stick / mafia approach. Go with us the government and you are protected and can do alright, go illegal and you wish you were dead. Maybe force them to attend continuous government policy meetings for 10 solid years or something tantamount to torture.)

We'll muddle through with some trade gives of course, just as we are doing now. It will all hopefully lead to reduced tragic consequences but who knows until it's actually tried, and statistically tracked. Maybe it's all go into fail and well realize that marijuana and even alcohol actually needs to be banned. Maybe 1920s style prohibition was right after all in terms of what society now values.
    Last edited by KC; 14-12-2016 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Kids in Colorado and elsewhere have already been harmed by pot gummy bears and cookies. Kids get into everything including sealed prescription drugs and poisonous chemicals and that was not chocolate covered or sweet.
    I imagine tablet usage by kids has led to electrocution too as kids plug things into outlets. Or broken glass injuries...

If we follow your reasoning, let's have guns available at the corner store.

Let's have a reasoned and quality discussion not filled with poor comparisons.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 14-12-2016 at 05:43 PM.

Look, in the end the "what about the children" argument is the most tiresome one going.

Your darlings -- or more likely others' darlings you only pretend to care about -- will get their supply one way or another if they REALLY want. The move to legalize pot is NOT about them, except indirectly in one way only.

The idea is to legalize pot so that it is simpler and CLEANER for adults to have the stuff, without making it easier for those pesky children to get it.

All the rest is self-important noise.

Not that I care one way or the other whether it is legal or not.

I think JT will make it legal, then dump it on the provinces, He will do this for votes.

If we follow your reasoning, let's have guns available at the corner store.

Let's have a reasoned and quality discussion not filled with poor comparisons.
    We allow guns in homes, plus all kinds of other hazards. We've long had alcohol in homes too. Alcoho can show up in mouthwashes, candies, etc too. As long as they disallow the creation of kid attracting qummybears, etc. then that will help parents keep them out of kids hands. It's one more complication but it will be a balancing act.

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    Look, in the end the "what about the children" argument is the most tiresome one going.

Your darlings -- or more likely others' darlings you only pretend to care about -- will get their supply one way or another if they REALLY want. The move to legalize pot is NOT about them, except indirectly in one way only.

The idea is to legalize pot so that it is simpler and CLEANER for adults to have the stuff, without making it easier for those pesky children to get it.

All the rest is self-important noise.

Not that I care one way or the other whether it is legal or not.
    Simpler for adults? The adults have been getting it and apparently it's already been easier and easier to get it. The personal and societal costs though have risen while the perceived and maybe the scientifically understood damage to the individual may have declined. Moreover, the battle ground has been widening with the addition of newer illicit drugs as the war has escalated making this battle less tolerable to those who care.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT

None of what you mention is any different for alcohol and tobacco products, prescription medications, or laundry pellets that look like candy. In fact, the death toll and societal damage for the first two are orders of magnitude worse. Reasonable steps need to be taken to restrict availability, require plain packaging, provide reasonably accurate dosage information, and so on. None of what you mention is any reason to keep it illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula
    Totally Agree. I am 100% in favor of legalization but it drives me crazy when people praise pot as a harmless subtance that will only improve your life.

That's fair enough. The thing is, we've been told for the better part of the last century that pot "fries" your brain and causes all kinds of horrible things. When the reality is that the health impacts of it are extremely minor when compared to alcohol and tobacco, which our society has condoned for the most part. The whole Reefer Madness, Black Candle thing. So some people feel the need to take it too far in the other direction. But the fact is, for a significant number of users with various medical conditions, the minor negatives really are vastly outweighed by the positives.

I think JT will make it legal, then dump it on the provinces, He will do this for votes.
    The Prime Minister will do it because it is the right thing to do unlike the backwards approach of the CONS.

None of what you mention is any different for alcohol and tobacco products, prescription medications, or laundry pellets that look like candy. In fact, the death toll and societal damage for the first two are orders of magnitude worse. Reasonable steps need to be taken to restrict availability, require plain packaging, provide reasonably accurate dosage information, and so on. None of what you mention is any reason to keep it illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula

That's fair enough. The thing is, we've been told for the better part of the last century that pot "fries" your brain and causes all kinds of horrible things. When the reality is that the health impacts of it are extremely minor when compared to alcohol and tobacco, which our society has condoned for the most part. The whole Reefer Madness, Black Candle thing. So some people feel the need to take it too far in the other direction. But the fact is, for a significant number of users with various medical conditions, the minor negatives really are vastly outweighed by the positives.

It's a gateway drug for many. How does inhaling so deeply , help lung cancers? .

I will reiterate again that I am split on this issue to legalize.

But your absolutism by using the word None, I think not. That is just your opinion. The science on pot is still not fully known and the changes in the potency and the THC/CBD balance have unknown effects.

To be the devil's advocate; Since you admit there are deaths and societal damage with other approved vices, do you think it is reasonable to add another with unknown effects? The government is doing this because they see tax revenue, nothing else. They did it with lotteries and gambling too but never measure the downsides including increased medical costs. If legalizing pot created zero tax dollars, the government would be dead set against it.

If we follow that reasoning, why not legalize heroin and cocaine? All we need to do is take r
    easonable steps to restrict availability, require plain packaging, provide reasonably accurate dosage information, and so on...

Doesn't that sound reasonable?
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 15-12-2016 at 01:31 PM.

It's a gateway drug for many. How does inhaling so deeply , help lung cancers? .
    It helps cancers a lot apparently.

Marijuana and Lung Health

The American Lung Association
    Smoking marijuana clearly damages the human lung, and regular use leads to chronic bronchitis and can cause an immune-compromised person to be more susceptible to lung infections. No one should be exposed to secondhand marijuana smoke. Due to the risks it poses to lung health, the American Lung Association strongly cautions the public against smoking marijuana as well as tobacco products. More research is needed into the effects of marijuana on health, especially lung health. http://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/smo...www.google.ca/
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 15-12-2016 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    I agree with legalization, I don't think any drugs are safe, but I think making drugs illegal just doesn't work.
    I agree with this. But more drugs need to be legalized, because the problems with legalizing marijuana can be applied to almost every other illegal drug.

What I am concerned about, is if only marijuana gets legalized then what are organized crime gangs going to do to make up for all the business they lose - sell more fentanyl? Sell more meth? Steal more property for the black market?

It helps people cope with the nasty side-effects of cancer treatments (suppresses nausea, etc.), but it doesn't rid the body of cancer cells.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    It helps people cope with the nasty side-effects of cancer treatments (suppresses nausea, etc.), but it doesn't rid the body of cancer cells.
    I agree and similar examples were given in my earlier post.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by hello lady
    Virtually everyone who has done heroin drank milk previously. Therefore, milk is a gateway beverage.

That's basically the depth of reasoning behind the "gateway drug" concept. Physiologically, at least. There is no connection between pot use and harder drug use, on a physiological basis. None. It's a completely discredited theory that is laughed out of the room in any serious discussion about drug policy. The only way in which pot may act as a "gateway" is that by purchasing it in the black market, users are exposed to access to other drugs. All the more reason to legalize and regulate it's distribution, so that link is broken.

As far as cancer goes, there is a very, very small link between pot use and lung cancer. We're talking tiny, at least compared to tobacco smoking. Not all smoke is equally dangerous or cancer causing. There is no doubt that heavy pot use is linked to other respiratory diseases. That being said, many users do not smoke pot, instead consuming it in edibles, using vaporizers, and so on. Those methods reduce significantly or entirely eliminate the concerns about lung health.

Don't tell me, after what I went through with one son, that it isn't a gateway drug, because I know first hand, it can be!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post

Ihave no problems with that,none.

C2E SME

Since you admit there are deaths and societal damage with other approved vices, do you think it is reasonable to add another with unknown effects?

False logic. Legalizing pot does not mean that usage will increase, or that by keeping it illegal that there are no public health consequences at present.

The government is doing this because they see tax revenue, nothing else.

Again, false. The Liberals have clearly stated that their primary goals are to remove a source of revenue from organized crime, and to address the negative effects as a public health issue, not a criminal one. The tax revenue that will be generated by pot sales I'm sure is attractive to various levels of government, but numerous experts have advised the government that it's not going to be nearly the bonanza that some have claimed, once you account for the new regulatory costs.

If we follow that reasoning, why not legalize heroin and cocaine? All we need to do is take reasonable steps to restrict availability, require plain packaging, provide reasonably accurate dosage information, and so on...

Doesn't that sound reasonable?

Actually, yes, it does sound somewhat reasonable, but the devil is in the details. Again, the war on drugs has been a total failure in every regard. The amount and severity of enforcement has been found to have virtually no impact on usage rates in developed countries. And the very fact of their being illegal actually increases the damage those drugs do to society. Especially production and transit nations like Mexico, Colombia, Afghanistan, and so on.

Is outright legalization for something like heroin or cocaine wise? No, probably not. But some form of decriminalization for personal use would likely be a good first step in reform. Portugal decriminalized all personal drug usage in 2001. They now have the lowest drug usage rates virtually across the board as compared to the rest of Europe. Sounds like a far more effective policy regime than what most other countries have been doing:
    https://mic.com/articles/110344/14-years-after-portugal-decriminalized-all-drugs-here-s-what-s-happening#.KfkQ81dxh

So again, it depends on the drug. Something like pot, which is unquestionably nowhere near as dangerous of a substance as alcohol, should be legalized for recreational use. Other drugs that are not extremely addictive, habit forming or dangerous like mushrooms, MDMA, LSD, and others could be considered for legalization as well. Extremely addictive drugs (heroin, cocaine) or dangerous drugs (meth) should probably not be legalized for recreational use. Every drug is different, and a different approach will need to be taken. The shame of the current opiate crisis that is claiming the lives of hundreds of people is that long term heroin use is actually more or less benign, if the user is provided with clean drugs and syringes. Numerous studies have shown that even heavy heroin addicts can actually lead normal lives, including holding steady jobs and caring for families, if provided with heroin (which is not expensive, either): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroin-assisted_treatment

Organized crime will stay the same! What tommy rot to think otherwise

Virtually everyone who has done heroin drank milk previously. Therefore, milk is a gateway beverage.
    Give us all a break. You example and even the reasoning behind it is insipid.

From https://www.drugabuse.gov/publicatio...a-gateway-drug:

However, the majority of people who use marijuana do not go on to use other, "harder" substances. Also, cross-sensitization is not unique to marijuana. Alcohol and nicotine also prime the brain for a heightened response to other drugs and are, like marijuana, also typically used before a person progresses to other, more harmful substances. It is important to note that other factors besides biological mechanisms, such as a personĺs social environment, are also critical in a person's risk for drug use. An alternative to the gateway-drug hypothesis is that people who are more vulnerable to drug-taking are simply more likely to start with readily available substances like marijuana, tobacco, or alcohol, and their subsequent social interactions with other substance users increases their chances of trying other drugs. Further research is needed to explore this question.
    Parents are often quick to blame the devil's lettuce for leading their children down the path to junkie-dom when it turns out the type of environment the kids were raised in is just as critical.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E SME

Same goes for claiming that pot is a gateway drug. I'm glad we agree, then.

Or, we could accept that shoddy logic, and then apply it tenfold to alcohol. We best get back to Prohibition ASAP!

Here's what the Rand Institute states about Gateway Drug Theory:

http://www.rand.org/pubs/research_briefs/RB6010.html

But I should caution this is "Science" so the CONS may not understand it.

I would also add that the first real drug most people take in Western societies is caffeine in either coffee or tea. A baby will spit out coffee and it is an acquired social taste.
    Last edited by The Man From YEG; 15-12-2016 at 02:19 PM. Reason: To add "Facts"

Marcel:

Mr.Oilers and many others have personal examples...

Not everybody fits into the statistics or science that says it isn't

Marcel:

The plural of "anecdote" isn't "data". I can't imagine why the people around Mr. Oilers or hello lady would want to escape their lives. No sir, not at all.

Same goes for claiming that pot is a gateway drug. I'm glad we agree, then.

Or, we could accept that shoddy logic, and then apply it tenfold to alcohol. We best get back to Prohibition ASAP!
    NO, we do not agree.

It is hard to get the Genie back into the bottle (pun intended). It is paramount and certainly easier to deal with the Genie by not letting ze out in the first place

Marcel:

The plural of "anecdote" isn't "data". I can't imagine why the people around Mr. Oilers or hello lady would want to escape their lives. No sir, not at all.
    I can't imagine you have anyone in yours.Pity.

I'll add "my life" to the list of a bajillion and seven things you have less than no clue about. Sorry about your junkie kid.

So...

of those of you with some personal family experiences with pot and with other illicit drugs, maybe even addictions - can you summarize your thoughts on the whole legalization of pot issue please. Please provide some honest information on your 'experience' as in whether you feel it is an expert opinion, or something you feel is just very anecdotal and/or pertinent...
    Last edited by KC; 15-12-2016 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From YEG View Post
    Here's what the Rand Institute states about Gateway Drug Theory:

http://www.rand.org/pubs/research_briefs/RB6010.html

But I should caution this is "Science" so the CONS may not understand it.

I would also add that the first real drug most people take in Western societies is caffeine in either coffee or tea. A baby will spit out coffee and it is an acquired social taste.
    As for gateway drugs, yes I can confirm that tea can lead to the hard stuff - coffee. In my late teens I started on tea. This has led down a slipper slope to now having coffee (1st cup ever about a year or so ago). Now I'm worried about relapsing to the university days of alcohol consumption and weekend ruining hangovers. In another 20, 30, 40 years I might cross that threshold too.
    Last edited by KC; 15-12-2016 at 02:52 PM.

I'll add "my life" to the list of a bajillion and seven things you have less than no clue about. Sorry about your junkie kid.
    You're Not sorry in the least, you spotty faced *****. Get out from your parent basement.LOL

Hope the acne clears up.
    Last edited by H.L.; 15-12-2016 at 03:19 PM.

So...

of those of you with some personal family experiences with pot and with other illicit drugs, maybe even addictions - can you summarize your thoughts on the whole legalization of pot issue please. Please provide some honest information on your 'experience' as in whether you feel it is an expert opinion, or something you feel is just very anecdotal and/or pertinent...
    Congratulations! Your post has been awarded the Upper Class Twit of the Year Award. Please take it and club yourself in the head.

Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 15-12-2016 at 03:42 PM.

So...

Congratulations! Your post has been awarded the Upper Class Twit of the Year Award. Please take it and club yourself in the head.
    Please hit noodle as well!

You're Not sorry in the least, you spotty faced *****. Get out from your parent basement.LOL

Hope the acne clears up.
    My parents live in a $2M acreage outside of Sherwood Park. Odds are their basement is nicer than your whole house. I've not lived there since my early 20s though (why would I when I own multiple revenue properties plus my own home?).

They raised me with the right knowledge to succeed & not fall into the pit of addiction, and it's served me rather well.

Not all people are as fortunate it seems. Either monetarily or parentally.

(You're absolutely right that I'm not sorry for you having a junkie kid. I am far more sorry for your kid for having you as a parent.)

C2E SME

C'mon guys, keep it classy.

Hope the acne clears up.
    My parents live in a $2M acreage outside of Sherwood Park. Odds are their basement is nicer than your whole house. I've not lived there since my early 20s though (why would I when I own multiple revenue properties plus my own home?).

They raised me with the right knowledge to succeed & not fall into the pit of addiction, and it's served me rather well.

(You're absolutely right that I'm not sorry for you having a junkie kid. I am far more sorry for your kid for having you as a parent.)
    So you are a spoiled rich kid with no manners, no empathy and look down on others. Silver spoon and Upper Class Twit of the Year runner up but you failed that too. Got it. Nice brag about your parents $2,000,000 estate acreage.

Just waiting to inherit it I guess.

So...

Please hit noodle as well!
    Fascinating. So we MAY have people on this forum, anonymous people, with direct experience of the positive and negative experiences with marijuana (and other drugs) and more knowledge than the rest of us average Joes, but getting those opinions, laid out honestly (as not treating cocaine lessons as pot lessons, or distant uncle lessons as teenager lesson), is discouraged as we'd rather engage in childish taunting and name calling and comparison of lifestyles (interesting as they might be) and parenting skills.
    Last edited by KC; 15-12-2016 at 06:28 PM.

C'mon guys, keep it classy.
    No pun intended I presume.

Hope the acne clears up.

So you are a spoiled rich kid with no manners, no empathy and look down on others. Silver spoon and Upper Class Twit of the Year runner up but you failed that too. Got it. Nice brag about your parents $2,000,000 estate acreage.

Well said, although is sounds so desperately made up to me.

Hope the acne clears up.

Well said, although is sounds so desperately made up to me.
    The interesting thing about an anonymous forum is that everything you say can be totally made up. That said, we're all like little kids that encounter some stranger that knows absolutely nothing about us, insults us and we run home crying all the way. Unfortunately we don't have parents now telling us that we should only listen to people we know and respect and not some stranger saying mean things out of the blue.

Moreover based on the tone of conversation here, pot legalization is coming none too soon. We'll have to start a threat limited to just those people smoking up at the time of posting, and see how that one goes.
    Last edited by KC; 15-12-2016 at 07:43 PM.

The Gateway Theory is the biggest myth known to man.

As many others have pointed out you can say cigarettes or liquor is a gateway. The proof simply isnt their. And just because you personally know someone who was a pothead and then became a crackhead it still doesn't prove the Gateway Theory true.
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Hello Lady

What else count he say? You nailed him.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Just great, now I'm going to have to breath in 2nd hand pot smoke. Employers across the board will most likely adapt a drug policy, to which could affect my ability to work. My boss: "Envaneo, I smell pot all over you. In accordance with workplace safety, your now required to participate in our drug policy program. This means you will have to miss work for x @ of time to clear so you can begin work." I can see something like that happening.

Just great, now I'm going to have to breath in 2nd hand pot smoke. Employers across the board will most likely adapt a drug policy, to which could affect my ability to work. My boss: "Envaneo, I smell pot all over you. In accordance with workplace safety, your now required to participate in our drug policy program. This means you will have to miss work for x @ of time to clear so you can begin work." I can see something like that happening.
    And you'll be auditied for unpaid carbon tax that should have been paid on your emissions.

I wonder, will pot smokers get upset in having to pay any 'harmonized' sales tax or smoke outside, or just say: It's all cool, man.
    Last edited by KC; 15-12-2016 at 10:01 PM.

Hello Lady

I could say my so called junkie son got clean. He and his brother both served this country, while noodle rents out a poxy apartment or two..
    Night Edmonton PRT.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Poor woman had bipolar disorder - it was a personal tragedy you should have some respect.

Quote Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post
    Poor woman had bipolar disorder - it was a personal tragedy you should have some respect.
    Pot does not help bipolar, she of all people should know that. I didnt respect when she was shagging Mick Jagger, and I don't respect her now.

https://www.leafly.com/news/science-...polar-disorder

According to new research published last week, bipolar symptoms of mania and depression may be worsened by cannabis use. The study, conducted at Lancaster University (UK), analyzed clinically structured diary entries of 24 bipolar patients who consumed cannabis a minimum of three times a week.
    Last edited by H.L.; 15-12-2016 at 11:18 PM.

http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...tional-airport
    Worlds biggest legalized pot facility to be build by EIA
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Hello Lady

I could say my so called junkie son got clean. He and his brother both served this country, while noodle rents out a poxy apartment or two..
    Night Edmonton PRT.
    You're a bit low there. Current rental portfolio is 2 condos directly, plus 2 townhouses, a house, 2 apartments & a commercial property through an income trust that I've got a partial stake in. That doesn't include the $500k condo I live in though. Pretty proud of how far I've come after spending a year homeless on the streets of Toronto in my youth.

Apologies for the slow reply. I don't really waste my home time on the forums. Just a way of passing time in the lulls at work. Gotta literally pay me to be here I guess.

Actually no, the last thing I want is to inherit my parents estate, as my parents are amazing people who I love utterly & completely. They're the reason I'm as successful as I am & I appreciate their wisdom, support & unconditional love more & more as I get older. I certainly don't need the money as I'm pretty well off for a middle-aged Albertan & am on track to being able to retire early while maintaining the standard of life I'm accustomed to. I've got enough awesome stuff going on in my life that if I wanted to brag, I wouldn't need to use my parents' successes as a proxy for my own. Your jealousy is delicious though.

...as noodle brags on and on. What a hypocrite.

You make a petri dish seem deep.

gotta literally pay me to be here i guess.
    please, no.

Pompous with a capital "P"

Oh no, more derision from people I find contemptible at best. Whatever shall I do without the approval of irrelevant, inconsequential & envious people!?

You all need to smoke a bowl once it's legal & chill the hell out. And I say this personally, not out of any sort of self-serving interests (though I do have a small amount of investment in the burgeoning/upcoming legal weed marketplace, full disclosure.)

gotta literally pay me to be here i guess.
    please, no.

Pompous with a capital "P"

It you use ignore,it 's great...

Actually no, the last thing I want is to inherit my parents estate, as my parents are amazing people who I love utterly & completely. They're the reason I'm as successful as I am & I appreciate their wisdom, support & unconditional love more & more as I get older. I certainly don't need the money as I'm pretty well off for a middle-aged Albertan & am on track to being able to retire early while maintaining the standard of life I'm accustomed to. I've got enough awesome stuff going on in my life that if I wanted to brag, I wouldn't need to use my parents' successes as a proxy for my own. Your jealousy is delicious though.
    Ah well grasshopper. Perfect example of money not being able to buy class. A guy who is so wealthy has to order a mail order bride then deflate her and send her back until she got the proper papers. I guess the local chicks in this town were not flocking at his feet. it is now perfectly obvious to a lot of people on this thread that you have one massive chip on your shoulder. Dream on Jaerdo's skid mark.

Quote Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post
    Pot does not help bipolar, she of all people should know that. I didnt respect when she was shagging Mick Jagger, and I don't respect her now.

https://www.leafly.com/news/science-...polar-disorder

According to new research published last week, bipolar symptoms of mania and depression may be worsened by cannabis use. The study, conducted at Lancaster University (UK), analyzed clinically structured diary entries of 24 bipolar patients who consumed cannabis a minimum of three times a week.
    I like Margaret Trudeau. I think part of her problem is she married a guy to old for her. She was a free spirit and he was well, fuddy duddy Trudeau Snr. It seemed she struggled for a long time with an undiagnosed mental illness and then her son's death put her over the edge. Now she seems to be a good advocate for the mentally ill and does speeches on the issues facing her and other people. At least if she has smoked marijuana she is honest and said so. So many people of that age would lie and say 'no' even if they had.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Ah well grasshopper. Perfect example of money not being able to buy class. A guy who is so wealthy has to order a mail order bride then deflate her and send her back until she got the proper papers. I guess the local chicks in this town were not flocking at his feet. it is now perfectly obvious to a lot of people on this thread that you have one massive chip on your shoulder. Dream on Jaerdo's skid mark.
    Hahaha. "Mail order bride". Good one. My wife just finished her studies, was awarded her degree & is now gainfully employed in Sweden so she can contribute to our shared finances & life together rather than sit on the couch in Canada unable to work. Heaven forfend we want to continue on our prosperous path. Or are you suggesting she work under the table as some sort of illegal immigrant?

Oh, and she found me online, not the other way around.

Thanks for making such an eminently reportable & moderator-intervention-worthy post. I have no chip on my shoulder. Why should I? My life is awesome, though not without its inconveniences. There's literally not one person on these boards I would even consider trading places with.

Keep up the laughably pathetic & grasping personal attacks though. It's helping pass the time as my reports for work are being generated.

Oh no, more derision from people I find contemptible at best. Whatever shall I do without the approval of irrelevant, inconsequential & envious people!?

You all need to smoke a bowl once it's legal & chill the hell out. And I say this personally, not out of any sort of self-serving interests (though I do have a small amount of investment in the burgeoning/upcoming legal weed marketplace, full disclosure.)
    So you have a bias based upon a profit motive then. I take it that you don't care that the product you wish to profit from, may cause harm, cancer and even death; as long as you make money. Ever heard of ethical investments?

Hahaha. "Mail order bride". Good one. My wife just finished her studies, was awarded her degree & is now gainfully employed in Sweden so she can contribute to our shared finances & life together rather than sit on the couch in Canada unable to work. Heaven forfend we want to continue on our prosperous path. Or are you suggesting she work under the table as some sort of illegal immigrant?

Thanks for making such an eminently reportable & moderator-intervention-worthy post. I have no chip on my shoulder. Why should I? My life is awesome, though not without its inconveniences. There's literally not one person on these boards I would even consider trading places with.

Keep up the laughably pathetic & grasping personal attacks though. It's helping pass the time as my reports for work are being generated.
    Hey man, anytime. We are pleased your pleased. Keep it up. The more you brag the more desperate you sound.

So you have a bias based upon a profit motive then. I take it that you don't care that the product you wish to profit from, may cause harm, cancer and even death; as long as you make money. Ever heard of ethical investments?
    I consider myself an ethical investor. I've made a concerted effort to ensure that my diverse holdings reflect my own personal ethics & are aligned with my individual moral compass. The fact that they may not be aligned with your morals or ethics is of no consequence to me, as your morals & ethics are none of my concern.

Hey man, anytime. We are pleased your pleased. Keep it up. The more you brag the more desperate you sound.
    The only desperation here is your vain attempts to try and take the minor information you have about me & form it into an actual valid insult or criticism.

Oh no, more derision from people I find contemptible at best. Whatever shall I do without the approval of irrelevant, inconsequential & envious people!? So you have a bias based upon a profit motive then. I take it that you don't care that the product you wish to profit from, may cause harm, cancer and even death; as long as you make money. Ever heard of ethical investments?

Well, if you read The Edmonton Journal article I provided we are getting our own pot farm built at EIA. We want diversification but I guess it's not the kind some were hoping for.
    I have not smoked pot in a long while and have no desire to start up again, but to me if it's legalized it's heading in the right direction. Too many people getting criminal records over something they use for their own personal use is not right. As for the health aspect of it. Well, I think some of them could be overblown. It's like alcohol, not everyone over does it and becomes an alcoholic.

I'm actually a shareholder in Aurora, fwiw. There was nothing in The Journal articles I didn't already know first-hand, from the information provided to me by the company.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo

What are you even talking about? It is likely that the legalization regime will treat public pot smoking no different than alcohol or tobacco: only in designated/licensed establishments and locations. It is extremely unlikely that it will be legal to smoke pot walking down the street, or within public buildings. Basically, all the restrictions that are presently in place for tobacco and alcohol will be combined and applied to pot. You'll be able to smoke it in your private home, in licensed clubs/cafes, and that's about it. No smoking it on the street, in public parks, in schools/hospitals/office buildings etc. I doubt there will even be places where you can consume both pot and alcohol at the same time.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

And you'll be auditied for unpaid carbon tax that should have been paid on your emissions.

I wonder, will pot smokers get upset in having to pay any 'harmonized' sales tax or smoke outside, or just say: It's all cool, man.
    I'm low income so, it wont affect me too much

The real elephant in the room, which seems to fall on deaf ears around here, is workplace safety and drug policy in the workplace. I have many colleagues in the trades that half too take periodic pee tests. I'm not sure if smoking pot affects this at all. We're about to wade in uncharted waters here.

Omg, reading noodles post, he's both delusional and pathetic. Too funny!

^Fascinating.
    I think I'm getting a bunion.

The more you insult me the better I feel about myself. I consider you so loathsome & contemptible that your disapproval only serves to reinforce my self-assured nature, much like a double negative becomes an affirmative.

I'm low income so, it wont affect me too much

The real elephant in the room, which seems to fall on deaf ears around here, is workplace safety and drug policy in the workplace. I have many colleagues in the trades that half too take periodic pee tests. I'm not sure if smoking pot affects this at all. We're about to wade in uncharted waters here.
    I'm not sure how long marijuana stays in a persons system but I have a feeling it is not too long. A lot of prescription drugs stay in a persons system long after they have taken them. Steroid based drugs stay in a persons system for a few weeks after a person has stopped taken them. People do have to take drug testing for some jobs but usually it's before the job starts. I'm not sure if companies can just randomly pick people out on any given day and test them for no just reason.

The more you insult me the better I feel about myself. I consider you so loathsome & contemptible that your disapproval only serves to reinforce my self-assured nature, much like a double negative becomes an affirmative.
    Read your own signature. Oh, the irony of it.

If anything the ending of "reefer madness" should actually allow some research into exactly the nature of impairment caused by cannabis consumption & allow us to move away from the prohibition-era zero tolerance regime we're in now towards something that ensures safety & compliance without being unduly burdensome to the rights of the workers.

Read your own signature. Oh, the irony of it.
    Slow day today, hence why I'm bothering to unhide the peanut gallery today & responding to the dreck you, PRT & hello are spewing out.

^Fascinating.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Wow! This threat certainly went off track. I'm going to close this. I think everybody needs to cool down, and there's way too many infractions in this thread for me to start suspending people.