Thread: Albertans Watch with Immense Interest as Alberta Liberals Open Leadership Race

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Albertans Watch with Immense Interest as Alberta Liberals Open Leadership Race

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ates-1.3904881

Batten down the hatches.

What a contest.

Top_Dawg figgers the party might raise enough money to buy a pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Top_Dawg figgers the party might raise enough money to buy a pizza.
    Only if its donated by the new glorious leader. Not sure why this party still exists, the Alberta party seems to inhabit the space they want.

C2E Continued Contributor

Immense interest? The guy that wrote the article must be a card carrying member.

When I worked for the party a few years ago (2011) as an out of province transplant, the leader of the party at the time told me that saying Liberal in Alberta was like saying a 4 letter swear word to people when we were out door knocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    Immense interest? The guy that wrote the article must be a card carrying member.

Tog_Dawg, you a card carrying member?

To be fair, "Albertans" means more than one. It doesn't have to mean "a lot more than" one.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    To be fair, "Albertans" means more than one. It doesn't have to mean "a lot more than" one.
    You're being pretty generous there.

OK, lets settle on two.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    OK, lets settle on two.
    Probably a few more. But I have to confess I didn't RTFA and took T_D's gotcha headline at face value. The story is much more benign that that.

But for speculation's sake, their leadership race could be some indicator of how disaffected NDP voters respond.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    OK, lets settle on two.
    Probably a few more. But I have to confess I didn't RTFA and took T_D's gotcha headline at face value. The story is much more benign that that.

But for speculation's sake, their leadership race could be some indicator of how disaffected NDP voters respond.
    Did someone cut and paste a headline from the 1990's or the early 2000's when the Alberta Liberals were the official opposition?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...race-1.4046811

The job and the party nobody wants.

C2E SME

The Alberta Liberals need to throw in the towel. Combine forces with the Alberta Party and the P's from the C's. Have a new unified centrist party, with the NDP on the left and the Wildrose/C's on the right.

But that would make way too much sense.

Virtually my whole life the Liberals have been a joke party in Alberta. With the whole sum and appearance being that the libs have to prop up something dead here just to suggest that they are a national party with national following.

The biggest joke though, and obscene really, is that anybody in Alberta votes for the federal liberals. That's not only wasting your vote, it costs me and every Canadian every time through liberal budgets and spending largesse.

There will be no rebranding of the provincial liberals. Because it always has only been a remote outpost of the liberals. Without which it just magnifies what a specious brand the liberals are not to have any clout in the economic driver of this nation.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Like remember how Paul Martin's budgets ruined Canada, made draconian tax increases, bankrupted pretty much all of us including the federal government?

Neither do I.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    The biggest joke though, and obscene really, is that anybody in Alberta votes for the federal liberals. That's not only wasting your vote, it costs me and every Canadian every time through liberal budgets and spending largesse.
    So we should be voting NDP federally? Cos I'll be damned if I'll ever cast a vote for the federal Conservatives.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    Like remember how Paul Martin's budgets ruined Canada, made draconian tax increases, bankrupted pretty much all of us including the federal government?

Neither do I.
    The exception is not the rule. As we live in Trudeauland revisited. I don't know that anybody with a straight face can even defend the liberal party or budget today. The biggest irony is that this party was dead so they sold out to the guy with the name to run the franchise. He's been running it like his franchise ever since. If you, or anybody don't realize the limitations of Justin, and the rag tag membership he's put together I can't help that. He's placeholding after a change brands vote which inevitably occurs to multiple term Prime Ministers facing a collapse in the world economy.

If only a Prime Minister function with glad handing and a smile. If only he didn't have to speak or think or make decisions.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    So we should be voting NDP federally? Cos I'll be damned if I'll ever cast a vote for the federal Conservatives.
    The NDP have repeatedly sold out to the liberals federally thus being much the same thing.

But specifically as it befits Alberta we are not proportionally represented federally either in ridings or in reflecting importance to this country. Harper was a rare reprieve from that, and lasted a bit longer than Joe Clark who the nation wanted to get rid of as quickly as possible.

In actuality I'm left leaning. But that I've learned to abhor liberal parties in this country as much as I have is indicative of that which I've experienced.

What we need a return to in this country is representation and actual democracy, not oligarchy. That's been my consistent view.

Hey, you'll get no arguments from me about the West's underrepresentation in Ottawa & its continued negative impact on Canada as a whole. That being said, I find the Conservatives to be illiberal & regressive & will never cast a vote in their favour until they change that. And "change" is sorta the antithesis of conservatism, so I'm not gonna hold my breath there.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post

Neither do I.

Paul Martin was a Blue Liberal (i.e. one of the smart ones). As far as anyone can see, none of the MPs in the current Liberal party are nowhere near as smart or sensible as him.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Hey, you'll get no arguments from me about the West's underrepresentation in Ottawa & its continued negative impact on Canada as a whole. That being said, I find the Conservatives to be illiberal & regressive & will never cast a vote in their favour until they change that. And "change" is sorta the antithesis of conservatism, so I'm not gonna hold my breath there.
    I wish the conservative meant fiscal, rather than repressive regressive ideology. The reformist merger never did the conservative brand too many favors. Uniting was a cost of getting re-elected but where the party stands now has been infected.

Both of the main federal parties have sold out to select interests resulting in increased selective interests being served.
    Last edited by Replacement; 30-03-2017 at 11:51 AM.

C2E Long Term Contributor

There's rumors floating around that Thomas Lukaszuk, who quit the PCs after Kenney was elected, is going to run for the Liberal leadership. But he's also been rumored to join the Alberta Party.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    There's rumors floating around that Thomas Lukaszuk, who quit the PCs after Kenney was elected, is going to run for the Liberal leadership. But he's also been rumored to join the Alberta Party.
    He might make it interesting - he is a colourful and well known personality. However, the Liberal track record with having former PC's as their leaders hasn't been good. Perhaps this time they should do something different and pick a Liberal. I know - radical idea there. I do think Lukaszuk would be good to have in the race though - might help attract more general interest. I hope he runs if interested - who knows maybe the third time the Liberals pick a PC they will be luckier than the other two.

Lukazsuk does at least have some presence, which is more than can be said of the last number of Liberal leaders who've had about as much charisma as a sheet of wallpaper.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Long Term Contributor

^ Actually, never mind. Mr. Brotzel is NOT running for the Liberal leadership:

https://twitter.com/JamesWoodPress/s...20138119262210

James Wood‏ @JamesWoodPress
    [email protected] tells me he's not running for Alberta Liberal leader and never even considered it.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Default Stephen Mandel part of effort to unite the political centre in Alberta

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4048584
    Members of the Liberal and Alberta parties are meeting in Red Deer next month to discuss uniting the centre, an effort involving former Edmonton mayor Stephen Mandel.

Thomas Lukaszuk, a former PC deputy premier, told Radio-Canada he will be there.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Looks to Top_Dawg like both of the nobodies running for the Alberta Libs are desperately waving the ' Cornholios Unite ! ' banner.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ndal-1.4063011

Why bother...lol

Surprised they even make the news anymore. We could probably start the Edmonton Party and get coverage.