Thread: Great start to 2017

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Great start to 2017

Nice to see downtown so busy last night! It helped that the weather was OK - still needed to bundle up though. Of course every time there's an Oilers game night, about the half the people are wearing orange McDavid jerseys!

Churchill Square was jam-packed with people, including lots of families. The fireworks were amazing, especially with our lovely City Hall providing the scenery for it. 3 Bananas and L'Espresso were jam-packed while the food trucks did a brisk business.

Sorrentino's, McLeod Tavern, Woodwork, Craft and Sherlock Holmes were full of revelers, with the lone glaring dark spot being the stillborn Alibi.

Happy New Year, everyone! Hope it's a good one for you and our city.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Churchill Square is jam packed any NYE. How was last night any different other than some McDavid jerseys?

Too bad Oilers didn't show up for the party and allowed the Nucks to outplay outwork them all night to the chagrin of all the people spending several hundred bucks for the privilege of seeing another questionable effort from the homeside.

If anything pay parking downtown and elimination of after 6pm free zones is causing me to visit downtown significantly less. Just the other night, Friday, went to the Leg, would have gone downtown but didn't want to pay for parking and instead hit up Whyte Ave area for dinner.

Also unrelated complaint but those fancy new parking fare machines sure are picky about cards I can use to pay. Tried one a week ago and interac didn't work, one credit card didn't work, fortunately the other one did after having to go to a different fare payment box which also refused 2/3 of my cards. They just wouldn't read the cards. Cards that I can use all the time with no problem. So what are we to do to pay when all that happens? No I don't have a smart phone or pay panda app or all the apparently required new techs. In the end I avoid the headache.

edit Just found out that the epark machines do not accept debit cards. Who makes up this ****. How on Earth can you implement a system like this and not allow debit card payment?
    Last edited by Replacement; 01-01-2017 at 03:05 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Hands up anybody that knew that last night Edmonton NYE had fireworks at 830pm in addition to the usual midnight fireworks.

What does the COE do to disseminate info these days. Simply twitter, facebook. I heard nada about 830 fireworks. Yet small places like Sherwood Park, St Albert manage to get the world out there and to local papers.

Why do something different, that you've never done before and do such a poor job getting the word out about it?

First I heard about the 830pm fireworks was in todays Edmonton Sun.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I did. It was in the papers, and CTV news the night before.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

How about you eff off and start your own thread in the Rant section?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    You keep telling people I am on ignore. Which is it?

How about you slow your roll and stop being unlicensed C2E cop telling others what to post and what not to post.

oh, and a Merry **** off to you too.

ps "Standard editor" which is the only way I can use this board does not apparently allow threadstarts. It doesn't work anyway. You should be thankful.
    Last edited by Replacement; 01-01-2017 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    I did. It was in the papers, and CTV news the night before.
    Damn, gotta stop using the journal to line the catbox. About all its been good for lately. mybad then.

Thanks for the info. Out of curiosity did they just announce this within the last couple days or was it known before then?

^^ In the vain hope that you would contribute to something positive for once in your miserable life. My mistake.

^^ In the vain hope that you would contribute to something positive for once in your miserable life. My mistake.
    Not so miserable to conclude online what is involved in others lives though or initiate telling people to **** themselves on *social media*.. I'll leave that behavior as your domain.

Oh, and don't make the mistake again..

Anyone who bothered to google "NYE Edmonton" would have read one of the infinite notices about the fireworks at both 8 and midnight.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I think it's fair that NYE Downtown has been climbing a staircase over the last decade, and the most recent step was massive. The stigma is in hard decline in the Region's collective consciousness.

Next real steps:
    • RAM
    • MacEwan theatres and galleries
    • free admission at AGA
    • rejuvenated library
    • ICE District (hotel, VIP Cineplex, 17 new restaurants)
    • double the LRTable origins across the City
    • dispersed homes for the last 350 unsheltered (which used to be 2,500)

Dreamed steps after that:
    • Winspear Chamber Music Hall
    • Arts Hab Quarters (with gallery and theatre)
    • U of A Fine Arts Downtown
    • Opera House
    • SCC expansion

and maybe, just maybe, just possibly, just slightly non-zero chance we get a flutter and dare we theorise the possibility of a twitch from Oxford Properties?
    Let's make Edmonton better.

I'd rather C2E than work!

We saw the fireworks at 8.30 and again at midnight. What a wonderful display. We are fortunate to be able to see them on our balcony. My eldest son took his daughter, they parked at the library as it was just $1.00 . They left shortly after 8.30. Everyone seemed to be having a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Also unrelated complaint but those fancy new parking fare machines sure are picky about cards I can use to pay. Tried one a week ago and interac didn't work, one credit card didn't work, fortunately the other one did after having to go to a different fare payment box which also refused 2/3 of my cards. They just wouldn't read the cards. Cards that I can use all the time with no problem. So what are we to do to pay when all that happens? No I don't have a smart phone or pay panda app or all the apparently required new techs. In the end I avoid the headache.

edit Just found out that the epark machines do not accept debit cards. Who makes up this ****. How on Earth can you implement a system like this and not allow debit card payment?

Yeah, Top_Dawg has to concur.

These stupid parking machines have been in place for about six months now.

Top_Dawg is always amused when watching people trying to use them.

The confusion.

The perplexed looks.

The walking back and forth from their vehicles.

Even funnier when there's both a driver and passenger.

And both are trying to guess how they work.

It really is a total ***** show.

And the fact they take credit cards but not debit cards is just as goofy.

Bro_Dawg was visiting earlier this year and when he went to use one he commented on it as well.

Typical CofE to take something so simple and blow millions of dollars only to make a total abortion of it.
    Last edited by Top_Dawg; 02-01-2017 at 10:02 AM.

Hands up anybody that knew that last night Edmonton NYE had fireworks at 830pm in addition to the usual midnight fireworks.

What does the COE do to disseminate info these days. Simply twitter, facebook. I heard nada about 830 fireworks. Yet small places like Sherwood Park, St Albert manage to get the world out there and to local papers.

Why do something different, that you've never done before and do such a poor job getting the word out about it?

First I heard about the 830pm fireworks was in todays Edmonton Sun.
    It was advertised all over the place. I know many families who loved the earlier option.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

^^the machines are new technology for many, hence the initial confusion, assistance, time to process. Same thing for me the first time and many others it seems, but my guess is that after the initial use or 2, it becomes old hat.

It is my understanding that the acceptance of debit cards for these machines is very rare to almost never. Neither Calgary nor Vancouver accept debit.

You can still use coins, which I do, and have far more payment options now.

https://www.edmonton.ca/transportati...ing-epark.aspx

Many folks seem to love the account/cell phone option.
    www.decl.org

Churchill Square is jam packed any NYE. How was last night any different other than some McDavid jerseys?

If anything pay parking downtown and elimination of after 6pm free zones is causing me to visit downtown significantly less. Just the other night, Friday, went to the Leg, would have gone downtown but didn't want to pay for parking and instead hit up Whyte Ave area for dinner.
    There were considerably more people Downtown because of the game, 2 firework times, new destinations and more people living downtown. Twas very busy.

After 6pm pay parking is ONLY on event nights when it is quite busy as it is, similar to all of the other major cities in Canada. McKay Avenue south of 100 Ave and the Government area is still free after 6pm. See information and map that is easily acceptable.

https://www.edmonton.ca/transportati...-downtown.aspx

You could still have parked in about 1/3-1/2 of downtown for FREE.

Again, transition and changes mean we need to all do a little more pre-visit research or keep up to date with COE notifications (many options).
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post

There were considerably more people Downtown because of the game, 2 firework times, new destinations and more people living downtown. Twas very busy.

After 6pm pay parking is ONLY on event nights when it is quite busy as it is, similar to all of the other major cities in Canada. McKay Avenue south of 100 Ave and the Government area is still free after 6pm. See information and map that is easily acceptable.

https://www.edmonton.ca/transportati...-downtown.aspx

You could still have parked in about 1/3-1/2 of downtown for FREE.

Again, transition and changes mean we need to all do a little more pre-visit research or keep up to date with COE notifications (many options).
    That is virtually the entire downtown and yes I checked the map before deciding we want no part of that. Right now I'm on crutches, injured knee, and so mobility is an issue as is standing for long periods. Wasn't going to go anyway this year but the whole thing is a confusing mish mash. Free after 6pm EXCEPT during event nights. The how to use epark then links Rogers place so that one can figure out what event nights are exccpet that the link is to main page and not a list of Rogers place events and which is still for some reason hard to find on the Rogers site. I don't own a smartphone in which to find that anyway and if I had one would not be able to navigate or see the display enough to find the right page. I can't even find the Rogers Place event list on my computer.

Latest experience with epark was in Library parkade (we didn't know this had been taken over by the attack of the machines until it was too late. On crutches we hobble all the way (long) to one pay machine. It is out of order. Go to another one. It doesn't accept any card I have. The 3rd pay machine we find (I'm literally spraining my knee hobbling about and considering just getting back into the vehicle and missing our play at the Citadel) finally accepts 1 of our credit cards after not accepting our main credit card which is a bank issued card. lol Its a nightmare using these things. Damn thing timed out 3 times as we're using it. Try using one of these with Presbyopia and not being accustomed to using such devices. Meanwhile a lineup forms with people hostile waiting to use the one machine that is working. Experiences like these just make one want to forego going downtown. Which for me has drastically curtailed from once a week before epark hell to maybe once a month since. Not evening mentioning it is now more expensive to park downtown.
    Last edited by Replacement; 02-01-2017 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Anyone who bothered to google "NYE Edmonton" would have read one of the infinite notices about the fireworks at both 8 and midnight.
    Whenever I google stuff now I get mostly junk hits and clickbait nonsense. Getting worse and worse separating the useful information from all the sites that are oriented to list in google searches. The internet is in decline as a useful information tool replaced by advertising hell.

... and so instead of actually trying to search anything you chose instead to take the time to complain to us that you didn't know about it and cast aspersions on the organizers for "doing a poor job in getting the word out"... That's pretty ripe.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Yeah, Top_Dawg has to concur.

These stupid parking machines have been in place for about six months now.

Top_Dawg is always amused when watching people trying to use them.

The confusion.

The perplexed looks.

The walking back and forth from their vehicles.

Even funnier when there's both a driver and passenger.

And both are trying to guess how they work.

It really is a total ***** show.

And the fact they take credit cards but not debit cards is just as goofy.

Bro_Dawg was visiting earlier this year and when he went to use one he commented on it as well.

Typical CofE to take something so simple and blow millions of dollars only to make a total abortion of it.
    I actually lol when I found out reading through epark propaganda that the machines don't take debit. I mean theres this whole notion of convenience, not carrying a bunch of change, and the damn things don't take debit, you know, the method of payment used in most of the free world...

So then this;

Advantageous epark use requires;

One being able to figure out such things

One succumbing to opening up an account to use such things (refuse to)

One having a smartphone

One having credit cards, preferable severable as some are almost guaranteed not to work.

One knowing their licence plate number

One having enough savvy to enter the right parking code (watch out if you cross the street to use a parking machine)

One knowing when event nights are

One knowing about such other apps as parking panda and how they work

One knowing how scan codes, apps, etc works.

Vs the absolute simplicity of plugging some change in a parking meter that formerly only operated during business hours and was free ALL other times.

Yeah, I know which one I would choose. But given the city hasn't provided that option my choice is avoid the headache and parking and ticketing gouging.

lol that Paula Simons wrote up an article where her vehicle was ticketed WHILE she was at a parking machine paying her fare. A ticket which has still not been revoked even though she has all the info to fight this but is required to. This is flat out abusive system and pretty much anybody that gets falsely ticketed while trying to find a pay machine that works or waiting in line to use it is going to be ****** off. Man, who thought this stuff through.

... and so instead of actually trying to search anything you chose instead to take the time to complain to us that you didn't know about it and cast aspersions on the organizers for "doing a poor job in getting the word out"... That's pretty ripe.
    Yeah, already admitted its my bad. I didn't look hard enough. I did google it though. My googling skill not being good enough to avoid a majority of hits that provide no information.

Its a good thing the city has finally went with an 8pm fireworks. But they did this years after the fact as the city had been losing family revellers to outside celebrations for decades. The Sherwood Park Festival place celebration in particularly not only being better, more convenient, nice locale and more to do, but has always been an early fireworks display.

How about you slow your roll and stop being unlicensed C2E cop telling others what to post and what not to post.
    I don't have you on ignore, Replacement, because you often say smart things eloquently. But I've got to side with SDM on this one. This is a post in the Raves section. I clicked on it because I wanted to read about people's positive experiences with the start to their year (as promised by the thread's title). I didn't click on it in the hopes of reading one description of a positive experience followed by a whole series of posts from you talking about how crappy things are and how other people's positive experiences don't really count until the whole thread descends into sniping.

I get that you love complaining more than anything. That's certainly your prerogative. But if you don't feel like tempering that tendency commensurate with what part of Connect2Edmonton you're hanging out on, maybe then...stay out of the Raves section? I for one would appreciate it.
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

I suppose this could count for a rave, and I should have posted it last night... at this time of year the new moon and Venus are close in the night sky within an hour after sunset, with the new moon apprearing to want to munch Venus. I tried to take pictures but my camera isn't up to it. But it should repeat tonight, albeit with the crecent moon a little bit thicker. Look to the west-soutwest after sunset, about 5:30. Hopefully the sky will have cleared enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Idealistic Pragmatist View Post

I don't have you on ignore, Replacement, because you often say smart things eloquently. But I've got to side with SDM on this one. This is a post in the Raves section. I clicked on it because I wanted to read about people's positive experiences with the start to their year (as promised by the thread's title). I didn't click on it in the hopes of reading one description of a positive experience followed by a whole series of posts from you talking about how crappy things are and how other people's positive experiences don't really count until the whole thread descends into sniping.

I get that you love complaining more than anything. That's certainly your prerogative. But if you don't feel like tempering that tendency commensurate with what part of Connect2Edmonton you're hanging out on, maybe then...stay out of the Raves section? I for one would appreciate it.
    You're right, and I was being a dick. I admit it. I think we all succumb to that from time to time. But it was a bit much seeing a Happy NYE type thread only days after a similar Merry Christmas thread got firebombed here from self righteous zealots who feel its their sanctimonious duty to attack those that have the audacity to say Merry Christmas, and not "Seasons Greetings"

To me NYE is an entirely meaningless arbitrary adjunct based on the Gregorian Calendar and with no real significance other than being a contrived place marker separating one year (abstraction) from another year (abstraction). In the end "anniversaries of any type have become more about marketing than anything else. Birthday? bah humbug. After 50 you don't want any..

I'll exit the thread now. Unless half a dozen people want to argue my latest post in which I'll stick around for interest sake.

happy Festivus everybody. Even SDM.
    Last edited by Replacement; 02-01-2017 at 01:12 PM.

Replacement - yes things change, yes they sometimes require updating, learning, investigating and I am sorry that you are finding this very difficult, but it seems as though most have adapted and find it more convenient.
    www.decl.org

Replacement - yes things change, yes they sometimes require updating, learning, investigating and I am sorry that you are finding this very difficult, but it seems as though most have adapted and find it more convenient.
    Its the topic probably of some other thread. I can't find one on epark and I can't start one either due to my "Standard Editor" setting here which is the only way I can use this site due to some computer program conflicts.

Happy NYE everybody, eparking festivus should be in another thread.

I suppose this could count for a rave, and I should have posted it last night... at this time of year the new moon and Venus are close in the night sky within an hour after sunset, with the new moon apprearing to want to munch Venus. I tried to take pictures but my camera isn't up to it. But it should repeat tonight, albeit with the crecent moon a little bit thicker. Look to the west-soutwest after sunset, about 5:30. Hopefully the sky will have cleared enough.
    It was beautiful. Wife and I were trying to figure out what planet that was right near the crescent moon. Very striking phenomenon. Venus was so bright too. Hadn't seen anything quite like that. Was wondering what planet it was. Thanks for posting.

*an apology and some other stuff*
    Thanks. It's appreciated (really!).

I would like to give a huge applause to Global Edmonton News.

They had an hour long newscast on Saturday night so that they can televise the fireworks live at midnight. They stuck with the celebration at Churchill Square until the last firework was deployed.

Thanks for providing local content to folks who decided to stay home on New Year's Eve.

Sharing a few shots of the fireworks over City Hall on Sat night.

Very nice. Thankyou.!
    Last edited by H.L.; 03-01-2017 at 08:14 AM.

Wooooow, looks like I missed quite a display this year! Maybe next year. Thanks for sharing.

Having the privilege of catching both, the midnight show was considerably grandeur.
    www.decl.org

Regarding the parking downtown issue. I noticed Chinatown has some areas changed to 2 hour parking limits. Some areas are paid, some areas are free. The area in front of Lingnan also changed to 2 hour limit parking. This is the right direction (though I'm not sure why it wasn't implemented from the get go) and the city can work with remaining business areas to alleviate some parking concerns. As I've said before, there's no reason the couple hundred on street parking spots should be used by event goers when there is more than enough parkades downtown. Make them free, and enforce the 2 hour limit and get the word out to encourage people to go downtown to support businesses even while 18,000 people are stuffed inside the arena. And the epark machines are straightforward. The only issue I take with them is they're rather slow and tend to miss key strokes if you're going too fast - also cancelling transactions seem to take an eternity to reset the machine. Other than that, I just use coins instead of credit card....as mentioned, the machines are rather finicky with the cards, in addition to being slow reading them and adding time.And the fireworks were great. If you're just there for the best view, now that they've relocated the location of the fireworks to be back behind the city hall again, standing at 97st and 103A avenue affords you the best vantage....but (for better or worse) you won't be with the massive crowd and miss the countdown. With the additional Canada 150th year fireworks at 830 this year, the crowd was massive downtown right after dinner. Great stuff. Kind of wish they will do yearly dual shows now.

Ian, in future years has the City given any thought to changing the location of the NYE fireworks? We've done the City Hall frontage thing countless times and wouldn't mind seeing a different backdrop for a change. Any thoughts once the Entertainment district is open having it around there or the new RAM? Changing it up is good sometimes. I like the CN tower but would be nice for Edmontons NYE show to be framed in a different way and area and see how that goes.

I don't think so, no. Churchill is the right place and backdrop in my humble opinion. I could see something from ICE at some point to compliment.
    www.decl.org

I think Churchill square is a great place, hope it stays there.

I don't think so, no. Churchill is the right place and backdrop in my humble opinion. I could see something from ICE at some point to compliment.
    The present location relegates it to a somewhat small fireworks display. Nor is the visual area all that great as trees, and City Hall pyramid block out some of the pyrotechnics and without offering much in foreground display. Really the CN Tower on one side and the carillon tower on the other make it look pretty underwhelming. We now have better backdrop/foreground features tp frame our fireworks. Use em.

One of the things in recent decades is cities comparing their fireworks displays and how comparitively visually stunning they are. The backdrop of CN Tower, City Hall, carillon tower doesn't even feature imo. tbh tired of looking at it being the same backdrop each year. Why build a world class arena and DT and not use it to promote Edmonton in an event that gets a lot of out of town views?

I think we could do better now.

tbh everytime I look at the Carillon tower I kind of wonder why its even there visually speaking. But then I'm not overwhelmed with the whole City Hall design or Churchill square for that matter. At least they could be putting AGA in the frame and the Ram if they shot the fireworks from a slightly different location. Would rather even see that.
    Last edited by Replacement; 03-01-2017 at 01:27 PM.

I suspect both happen.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

We had a fantastic New Years Eve.
    Churchill square is a short bus ride/ LRT trip from the new house. I went to the later fireworks with my sister, our parents and a pair o' nephews
    Lots of people out having a good time - didn't encounter any troublemakers. Bit crowded getting on the LRT after the outstanding fireworks display, but nothing unexpected when a few thousand people are leaving the same place at the same time.
    Had a good time. Would go again.
    Non semper erit aestas

Great to hear and hearing much of the same thing. Everyone loved the 2 option night it seems.

Anything that you would like to see or need?
    www.decl.org

Once the fireworks were done, it was show over and people began clearing out en masse, and the square was empty within 10 minutes. Apart from having to fight through the fleeing crowds while we headed in another direction to see which food trucks were there, it would have been nice if there was some more incentives for people to linger a bit longer. Maybe 1 or 2 more songs on stage? Though I fully understand the need for people to get out of the cold asap.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Anything that you would like to see or need?
    We would have liked another source for hot chocolate. The two we found both had extremely long lines. The line for the source closest to us immediately evaporated once they ran out.
    Non semper erit aestas

Moar foood, moar drinks, moar fireworks, moar space, better music! How about a champagne garden in Centenial Square? How about another launch site off the top of the Westin? How about laser projections on Chancery and CCM? And try some ice/snow sculptures, but don't advertise them, just in case they melt.

Keep em coming
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Moar foood, moar drinks, moar fireworks, moar space, better music! How about a champagne garden in Centenial Square? How about another launch site off the top of the Westin? How about laser projections on Chancery and CCM? And try some ice/snow sculptures, but don't advertise them, just in case they melt.
    Full sarcasm alert in effect above.

Sherwood Park has free parking, free hot chocolate, free popcorn, free treats, free parking, has projected displays as well as fireworks, with all kinds of other events going on and runs a topnotch organized NYE celebration every year. We even live closer to that one and its a better option, more enjoyable, very much a family feel to it and no drive home lagtime.

Yeah, Edmonton as the City could be doing a lot more than an outlying town. That would even be a reasonable expectation and especially with this present want to get people back to going downtown.

Personally I still feel that Edmontons "First Night" festival was the best rendition they ever did and something that was worth continuing. At least offered a bit more story to it, entertainment, and had a narrative to the celebration. Like K Days Edmonton NYE is just generic since then. Have one to two stages, face painting etc, food trucks and shoot off some fireworks. Something you could do and see almost any fair sized town.

edit haha Lets play moving posts.

[part not pertaining to my post omitted]

Uh, yeah, cool story bro.

Keep em coming
    uh, less speeches?

Winspearish events at the Winspear, Citadelish at the Citadel, AGAish at AGA, all letting out at 11;30?

er, free concert by Gwen Stefani in Louise McKinney Park?

Keep em coming
    uh, less speeches?

Winspearish events at the Winspear, Citadelish at the Citadel, AGAish at AGA, all letting out at 11;30?

er, free concert by Gwen Stefani in Louise McKinney Park?

Funny you mention that. DT Calgary had 54-40 playing for the crowd as well as other acts at their party. Edmonton will usually hire multiple garage bands nobody has ever heard of. So unimportant they don't even list them in the proceedings.

Its those kinds of things that make a difference in choosing to go to Edmontons NYE. But we know the story here, do as little as possible, say that the COE provided an event, and that's enough. Is there a time in which we can reasonably expect a little more if the City is putting on this kind of party?

I went to the later show. Felt like any other year - couldn't tell there was anything additional for the 150 year celebration (I guess the 8pm show?). That white media tent setup in the middle of the square really obstructed the stage. I understand it probably needed to be there, but maybe they can figure out another way of locating it in the future.

Also agree with Replacement, nothing spectacular or memorable, pretty generic. Sounds like Sherwood Park is way further ahead in putting on a show. Would be nice to have the city really treat it as a spectacle - coordinate a light show or something of the sort - which is a no brainer given the sunsets at 4:30pm. Building and light projections throughout downtown, with other type of light installations, all focused on light and colour, similar to Vivid Sydney (Light tab), I could never imagine something of this scale in Edmonton, but just the idea. So that you could come earlier and spend the evening wandering downtown seeing the different installations then end the evening with heading to churchill square for the countdown and fireworks. Have it begin a week before and end a week after new years. We have winter, ice, snow, and darkness so where the heck are the ice/snow sculptures? Have them docked throughout downtown, light them up. Would give people a reason to come earlier, or linger afterwards to see them instead of stampeding to the LRT.

But, in reality, this has nothing to do with a lack of ideas and has much more to do with a lack of will.

Yes, generic.

Almost any other City I've looked at has notable performers at their NYE bash. Calgary with 54-40 and others as mentioned. Winnipeg With Bros. Landreth, Ryannah, etc.

http://www.theforks.com/events/signa.../new-years-eve

Edmonton had one advertised band that was noted. the "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" No, not the movie, a local band of this name that probably plays community hall parties as their highlight gigs until Edmonton NYE. They are unknown on Spotify, and source I've looked at, and have one YouTube video which is horrendous pap and one thumbs up. I repeat one thumbs up, probably somebodies mother or spouse. If you could sit through this 3 mins welcome to it;

http://www.dirtyrottenscoundrels.ca/video.html

my lord.

This is the crap we get.

The biggest complaint in Edmonton has been settling for less. This, is less. Indelibly less. So bad I would walk out if I was there and save my ears.

Essentially this smacks of not wanting to pay a dime for entertainers and putting out a tweet if anybody hard up for gigs and publicity wants to play the show or if anybody knows any bar bands.

edit, just found out, they got the gig because they rocked the socks off COE "Cooperate Services department" Is that Corporate? This is the degree of effort by the COE. They played a COE in house gig and subsequently got the NYE gig. Just because.

PS the co headliner at the Edmonton Gig was another Edmonton Party band "Uptown" which seemingly will play and wedding in Alberta. No word if they recently played a COE department gig.

http://www.uptown780.com/

This is like hiring a bar band to do the NYE give when you probably smashed when you heard them. Good enough for a little COE department bash, good nuff for Edmonton NYE. lol
    Last edited by Replacement; 06-01-2017 at 05:17 PM.

How would you rate the official entertainment compared to, say, bucket drummer?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Too bad Oilers didn't show up for the party and allowed the Nucks to outplay outwork them all night to the chagrin of all the people spending several hundred bucks for the privilege of seeing another questionable effort from the homeside.

Yes, the machines seem inconsistent. I always use cash which seems to work at most of the machine, except sadly the one closest to my building, which only takes credit cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    How would you rate the official entertainment compared to, say, bucket drummer?
    I didn't attend but I'd pay more attention to bucket drummer. Flip him a toonie, say thanks.

Hey Jaybee, The HEADLINE act at the Edmonton NYE 150 anniversary of Canadian confederation NYE party has one like on youtube. Where are you man, give em a thumbs up.

To use my common statement "you can't make this **** up".
    Last edited by Replacement; 06-01-2017 at 05:15 PM.

So just some more with this.

Vancouver had a big bash with headline performers like New Pornographers, Sheepdogs, Yukon Blonde, Crystal Shawanda Delhi 2 Dublin and others. All recording artists that are signed and known.

http://vancouversun.com/entertainmen...ready-to-party

Ottawa had Radio Radio, Brett Kissel, Carly Rae Jesperson. Again actual recording artists that are known and that have a following, not my cup of tea but still at least they had headliners. Kissel is ironically from Alberta.

https://www.ottawatourism.ca/ottawa-...-ottawa-style/

Halifax even had the Strumbellas along with Ria Mae

http://www.halifax.ca/newyearseve/

Take a look at the exciting NYE event in Quebec City

http://www.jourdelan.info/en

Calgary to recap had multi platinum recording artist, and Canadian Grunge legend 54-40 free on stage,

Winnipeg had Bros. Landreth and Ryannah among others at the Forks marketplace, a beautiful location.

Victoria even had Dear Rouge and Alex Cuba both signed recording artists.

Edmonton had two wedding bands that do small parties and play covers. Adam Sandler not included.

Now I particularly picked just some Canadian cities because it would be unfair to compare Edmontons NYE with MTL, or Toronto. But when places like Calgary, Halifax, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Quebec City, Victoria are putting much better bashes on, with actual signed recording artists, and Edmonton serves up a couple wedding cover bands questions deserve to be asked about setting the bar so low.

Every City in the nation put on a better show with actual notable entertainers.

Of note this is the first year here with the DT arena and with DT revitalizing at a fever pitch. One would think there would be a passionate effort to start having some big events DT, like on NYE. Especially being the 150th anniversary of Canada. Virtually every other City in Canada put on a big celebration for this. Edmonton as per usual put on a Good nuf, same as always NYE show.
    Last edited by Replacement; 06-01-2017 at 10:38 PM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

"Canadian Grunge legend"... reaching a little bit?

I hope I haven't started another 50 posts of whining.

^ You and me both.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    "Canadian Grunge legend"... reaching a little bit?

I hope I haven't started another 50 posts of whining.
    I shouldn't have categorized. 54-40 would not want to be typecast in any particular genre.

But hey, the Band put out pretty good music for 15yrs, if you missed that you missed out depending on your musical tastes.

But most definitely an act worth seeing live and that still tours tirelessly and gets a party going. Not sure what it is but they are particularly good at getting things going in outdoor winter events and have done some Winter public shows in Banff, Jasper that were memorable. Quintessential Canadian Rock band (another category) that just loves what they do and always have.

First time I ever saw them oddly enough was at WEM where they were setting up a residence(before that concept was a thing) playing at the Galaxyland or whatever it was called back then. They were basically expanding their chops and getting a lot of practice in and getting paid to do it. Why not? Young band already had some hits and radio play. I definitely knew who they were, they played their for free for almost a week. Before they started hitting platinum albums. Was a great week getting to see them there a few times on days off.