Thread: Issues in Ward 3 for upcoming elections

Default Issues in Ward 3 for upcoming elections

I've been involved in politics for some time now and all I see city council do is spend spend spend. There's too much wasteful spending happening and it must be stopped. There needs to be new blood in city council and I would love to see younger faces with brighter ideas representing us Edmontonians.

Default Im the new candidate in Ward 3!

I am pleased to announce in this very important citizen-driven forum, that I am the new blood that Ward 3 needs. Ward 3 has been neglected for far too long. I want to change that. I have much information posted on my campaign website www.JonDziadyk.com/Ward-3 and there is a dedicated FB group: https://www.facebook.com/EdmontonElection/ yet I intend to carry out the discussion on Connect2Edmonton.

Since declaring, I have already received an overwhelming amount of support. Keep it coming, and throw some criticism at me too.

Let's discuss. "Jon D for Ward 3" 2017

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by schons View Post
    I've been involved in politics for some time now and all I see city council do is spend spend spend. There's too much wasteful spending happening and it must be stopped. There needs to be new blood in city council and I would love to see younger faces with brighter ideas representing us Edmontonians.

Anyone but Sarmad. Extremely painful individual to deal with. Good luck Jon D!
    Dave Loken is a strong candidate, i'll be keeping my eye out for ward 3.

Thanks Schons. In Canadian style, as a humble candidate, I will not comment on the others running against me in Ward 3, but suffice to say if I thought they were up for the job, I would not challenge them. I am only running for Ward 3 in order to bring common sense back to City Hall. Most candidates only speak in general platitudes as to what they stand for. I am different in that I have laid my cards on the table. My website has a lot of content. If you vote for me, you will know what you are getting. I am opinionated and grounded. If you scroll down on my website you will see my latest blog posts: www.JonDziadyk.com

happy St. Patrick's Day.

Quote Originally Posted by schons View Post
    Anyone but Sarmad. Extremely painful individual to deal with. Good luck Jon D!
    Dave Loken is a strong candidate, i'll be keeping my eye out for ward 3.

John D:

I noticed on your page you suggest the City's rec. centres perhaps shouldn't be built because they threaten private industry, and you specifically mention Clareview.

How do you explain World Health seeming unaffected nearby in Clareview, and Fit For Less opening in nearby Londonderry Mall during Clareview Rec construction (and presently thriving) and Goodlife Fitness practically next door opening after Clareview Rec Centre and also thriving?

Isn't that exactly opposite your suggestion that private gyms might suffer?
    Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E Continued Contributor

Further to JayBee's point on City Rec. Centres, you didn't address or cite the Recreation Facility Master Plan on your blog post either, regarding the planning work done for the various levels of recreation facilities the City has planned, built or is upgrading. Do you have any comments towards this master plan document?

You discuss private vs public offerings, but there are few, if any, private options for pools, ice sheets and gymnasium spaces. There plenty of private fitness/gym spaces that are private that DO compete. So the private sector does seem to examine the situation and provide competition where it can and likely provide different services than the City. Are you suggesting that the City should stop being the provider of these primary recreational facilities? Have you examined other similar comparable cities or situations where that has worked?

On another matter, your blog post about Hot Air LRT, you seem to be outside of your depth of knowledge of those heaters and HVAC systems in general. Those are called infrared heaters, and they designed to work by radiation only. No fans. In fact, in an outdoor space, they're far more efficient than traditional convection heating, as they only heat objects, not the air. The height of them taken into account when designing them, and their power adjusted for comfort. The higher the height, the larger the area they impact. I'm not an HVAC designer, but one would have been involved in the design and looked at those factors. Your suggestion of heating the space differently and somehow 'sealing it' as much possible isn't going to be something that is possible in the ways you suggest.

JayBee,
    thank you for taking the time to read my blog entry (available: http://www.jondziadyk.com/working-ou...a-rec-centres/). I appreciate the counter-evidence that you provided. Why do you think that private gyms are still popular despite City competition? I think that each type of gym caters to a different niche. For some people a Fit4Less will work well. Or, for some other people, they might rather walk a block if they are lucky enough to live next to a new gym (rather than drive to the cheaper-priced city-owned facility).

Or are people just milking the constant free two-week passes that you can get just by walking in the door of World Health?

What I do know is that there is only 1 City-owned rec centre in Ward 3, and that is the Londonderry Fitness and Leisure Centre (and it is at the very SE edge of W3). Why has the City not invested more into W3? As far as I am aware, I am the only candidate who is championing the north side. My slogan (admittedly among a few) is "Ward 3 First, North Side Second, The Rest of Edmonton Third." I feel that our current Councillor has not stood up for this area.

I do believe that the City wants an monopoly on recreation centres. I state this based on their actions.

I admire the Castle Downs YMCA. That place is thriving. While I will advocate for increased investment in W3, I am aware how municipal goodwill could strangle a place like the YMCA.

I think that the true answer to the provision of fitness is found somewhere in a partnership with civic and private institutions. Our current Joint Use Agreement is a good start, and I am the chair of the land committee.

Thank you for engaging in a discussion,
    Regards,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    John D:

I noticed on your page you suggest the City's rec. centres perhaps shouldn't be built because they threaten private industry, and you specifically mention Clareview.

How do you explain World Health seeming unaffected nearby in Clareview, and Fit For Less opening in nearby Londonderry Mall during Clareview Rec construction (and presently thriving) and Goodlife Fitness practically next door opening after Clareview Rec Centre and also thriving?

Isn't that exactly opposite your suggestion that private gyms might suffer?

Channing,
    thank you for being an avid reader of my blog. While I was typing a response to JayBee, I see that you posted your comment. I wouldve weaved in some of your concerns into that reply if I knew prior. I do think that certain provisions of fitness are best served by the City and I do think that city facilities are important. The main thrust of my blog is a comment on the size and scale of the mega complexes and I think that is apparent if you re-read it. Also, I suggest that the key to efficient service delivery may be partnerships.

Regarding Hot Air LRT, have you been to the Belvedere LRT Station? If so, are you suggesting that the heating system is indeed efficient?

Jon

Jon D.:

I don't think I understand why you think a City facillity would "strangle" the YMCA when again, exactly the opposite evidence sits in plain sight on the ground in Clareview.

Also can you explain the extent to which the YMCA is "private" in the terms of your "public vs private" framework?
    Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E Continued Contributor

Based on your response I'm not sure you've read the Recreational Facility Master Plan (it talks about partnerships, by the way). Can your response include addressing that document and where you think it falls short?

I have been to the Belvedere LRT Station. I'm suggesting there is not a more efficient heating system possible. Do you mean effective, not efficient? Even then, I'm not sure there is a more effective yet still efficient system available.

You seem to be talking about surface level 'issues' without having a deeper understanding of them on your blog. I would want a candidate to actually understand the issue rather than offering 'problems' and suggesting that there hasn't already been an examination into them, and thought behind the design and planning done.

You and I also differ vastly on values, and your use of terms like 'junkies', 'depravity' and villainizing all sex work are not aligned with my own values.

Jon D:

You claim the city has not invested in to W3, if you look at the city agenda there is some serious work coming to ward 3 in the next couple of years. What exactly are you looking at changing?

Channing: I agree with you, candidates need to understand the issues at hand and not dig deeper holes. I know what my neighborhood wants, what can be done. Realistically, not just blowing air out your rear end.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

There is no mechanical method to push the heat down, such as a fan; rather, freezing Edmontonians have to rely solely on its radiation for delivery. While the heat radiates down, it has a long way to go, all while fighting the laws of thermodynamics such as the propensity for heat to rise.
    That statement displays a pretty significant ignorance of the three ways heat is moved around: convection. conduction, and radiation. Only one of those routes is impacted by "heat rising" (convection), or more accurately, less dense fluids rising. Heat itself doesn't care which way is up. Channing covered it already, though. One of the most important things in an elected representative at any level of government, is a recognition of when they do or don't know enough about a topic to make authoritative comments about it. I would suggest that this particular candidate needs to work on that.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 18-03-2017 at 01:04 PM.