Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
Results 901 to 1,000 of 1039

Thread: Premier Notley's Second Year

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    60% of those polled were male and 2/3 were over 50. As if millennials are going to answer a land line from a number they don’t recognize.

There have been online polls, and she's always bringing up the rear! Good luck though..
    Mayor Bill Smith from Calgary is on the line. Wants to celebrate the poll numbers with you.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

60% of those polled were male and 2/3 were over 50. As if millennials are going to answer a land line from a number they don’t recognize.

There have been online polls, and she's always bringing up the rear! Good luck though..
    Mayor Bill Smith from Calgary is on the line. Wants to celebrate the poll numbers with you.
    The best polls money could buy -ha ha. Select the "right" sample and you get the result you want. I think some from the Conservative establishment in Alberta still believe if you put out a poll showing your candidate leading, people will then jump on the bandwagon and it will become a self fulfilling prophesy. Well, it didn't work in Calgary and I think that strategy is broken now.

Online polls aren't statistically valid either...
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Said it before, I like Notely. Now I think come election time we will come to realize, like a certain empress, the NDP has no clothes.
    Last edited by Gemini; 25-01-2018 at 02:43 PM.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post

Online polls aren't statistically valid either...
    OMG, too funny..Love it!

I think there are at least half a dozen parties, if not more in Alberta now. I believe the poll you mentioned the NDP was 2nd and the third party was not even close, so I don't think that could be called bringing up the rear, even if you think the Mainstreet poll is credible.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I think there are at least half a dozen parties, if not more in Alberta now. I believe the poll you mentioned the NDP was 2nd and the third party was not even close, so I don't think that could be called bringing up the rear, even if you think the Mainstreet poll is credible.

Call it what you want, I call it what I want..the others are fringe parties, although I'm hoping the AB party will be official opposition

Call it what you want, I call it what I want..the others are fringe parties, although I'm hoping the AB party will be official opposition
    I'd be ok with the Alberta Party being the official opposition, but that would probably involve taking a lot of support away from the UCP so it then might be bringing up the rear, as you refer to it as.

I'd be ok with the Alberta Party being the official opposition, but that would probably involve taking a lot of support away from the UCP so it then might be bringing up the rear, as you refer to it as.
    Not if Mandel wins, so many people called in, said they would never vote for them if he was in charge..

Not if Mandel wins, so many people called in, said they would never vote for them if he was in charge..
    Personally I think the Conservative crowd might prefer a successful business person with a lot of experience, rather than a career politician with no business experience, but maybe not.

^^Called in where? UCP headquarters?

They took a poll on the radio call in show, and they asked who they would vote for AB party and only them. Mandel was last!LOL

Hope he wins..
    Last edited by H.L.; 25-01-2018 at 05:16 PM.

What call in show?

Oh FFS, nobody excepts the spanish inquisition!

OMG Are you a closet 630 ched listener? If that is the case you need an intervention in the worst way. People tune in to that station just to hear others confirm what they already think to heck with objectivity . Get in touch with 630 ched anonymous they can help.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

OMG Are you a closet 630 ched listener? If that is the case you need an intervention in the worst way. People tune in to that station just to hear others confirm what they already think to heck with objectivity . Get in touch with 630 ched anonymous they can help.
    It could of been, its on for the news some days, 15 minute updates...I certainly wouldn't listen to the rantings of the closet lefty, with the big mouth Ryan something, but we enjoy Bruce, he's a good friend.. So closet, no, now try Google , its a big help!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

What's wrong with 630 Ched? They have great shows like 'Oilers Why?' with Bob Stauffer, Fred Flintstone from nine to noon and Andrew Gross regaling all with the amazing experiences of his day while you drive home from your day at the quarry.

630 CHED should be renamed to 630 Angry Conservatives

or just the Angry Old Geezers and Bitties...
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    630 CHED should be renamed to 630 Angry Conservatives
    Global took over, and the morning bullcrap is non stop how wonderful the NDP are, keep up! I listened years ago..but not anymore, except around 8 for road conditions...so, angry conservatives, nope...not that I heard.
    The host sounded angry though, and he's a leftie

You stopped listening years ago, but somehow you know its not angry conservatives... interesting how you've reached that conclusion Hello Lady.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    You stopped listening years ago, but somehow you know its not angry conservatives... interesting how you've reached that conclusion Hello Lady.
    I tune in to hear Bruce, as posted, he interviews gobby, and he says what's on his show. Of course I tuned in when global took over, but it's not the same show , and not the same audience..

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Great response by Premier Notley to the BC Government's Nonsense!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...rgan-1.4510884

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From YEG View Post
    Great response by Premier Notley to the BC Government's Nonsense!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...rgan-1.4510884

The City of Burnaby has already been shot down in trying to over reach and intrude on Federal powers, now it's the Province of BC that seems to want to get slapped down next. I suppose it is a minority government, so expect more than the usual political posturing.

B.C. NDP government acting like a bunch of hayseeds. Bout time Tater Tot put on his big boy pants and maybe try to build a nation instead of trying to build a Twitter following for himself.

is there any way to sue the BC gov or retaliate by not allowing their product through our border? this is getting ridiculous.

BC government announcement on proposed regulations:

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2018ENV0003-000115

Federal government response to BC government announcement:

https://www.canada.ca/en/natural-res...utionresp.html

Important to note these are proposed regulations, not yet enacted. All that was announced today was consultations.

Agree with Dave that this is political posturing tailored to those on the BC NDP's green flank. The BC Greens (both big G and small g) are already peeved about the Site C decision and a more recent decision to pursue LNG exports.

The PM needs to step up. She's done all he has asked, time for some support from the feds!!

Quote Originally Posted by trick91 View Post
    is there any way to sue the BC gov or retaliate by not allowing their product through our border? this is getting ridiculous.
    Kenney asked the same thing! Why are we such a pushover?

He can yap all he wants, but there are three things he doesn't control and that is the Government of Alberta, the Government of BC and the Federal Government, so he won't accomplish. How many pipelines did Kenney every build in his long political career? NON.

He can yap all he wants, but there are three things he doesn't control and that is the Government of Alberta, the Government of BC and the Federal Government, so he won't accomplish. How many pipelines did Kenney every build in his long political career? NON.
    Really? You need to check your facts about Harper and pipelines, Notley needs to do more yapping to JT!!!!!!! She's his little lapdog!

Well there is the North Montney Mainline project whereby BC natural gas which is currently stuck in northeastern BC due to the cancellation of West Coast LNG projects would instead be shipped by pipeline into Alberta to connect to our natural gas pipeline infrastructure.

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/c...81526521477580

The NEB has yet to decide whether the North Montney project is in the national interest. But even if the NEB ends up ruling in favour it would be foolish for Alberta to try to block the project by political means.

It's not the fault of folks in northeast BC that people in far away Vancouver and Victoria are standing in the way of energy infrastructure thereby also threatening their livelihoods. Plus we would show ourselves to be hypocrites in taking the position that decisions about pipelines crossing provincial boundaries and/or transporting goods through coastal waterways are not within the exclusive jurisdiction of the national government.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...tion-1.4512068

Alberta government preparing to go to court. Good news!

If they don't back down, bwahaha. They are not backing down, what a twerp!

Tater Tot to the rescue (or maybe not):

Major reforms of environmental and regulatory reviews of big energy projects – one of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s most anticipated policy changes – are due to be announced in days.
    They are so significant they could encourage a return of capital to the Canadian energy sector — or continue to push it away to more welcoming jurisdictions, particularly the United States. They could also have big political ramifications in energy producing provinces — and not good ones — if they layer excessive regulation on top of already onerous carbon reduction policies.
    “This is a very big moment,” said Chris Bloomer, president and CEO of the Canadian Energy Pipeline Association. “This is serious policy and hopefully we get it balanced right.”
    The federal government has been consulting for two years to reform the National Energy Board Act, the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, 2012, and the Fisheries Act and the Navigation Protection Act to fulfill Trudeau’s promise to restore public trust in project reviews.

http://edmontonjournal.com/category/business

Notley holding emergency meeting 12 noon today regarding Trans Mountain Pipeline:

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/poli...rgency-meeting

I'm glad she's sticking up for Alberta's interests.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

^Seems like CTV have cameras down at the Ledge and they are standing by to give us updates of Notley's meeting.

Must say Notley is kicking ***** in her meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    ^Seems like CTV have cameras down at the Ledge and they are standing by to give us updates of Notley's meeting.
    Thanks for the update. I'll get the skinny news at 11:30. I'm not a convert or anything but I like what she's doing here.

On the radio she mentioned how it’s going to put the chill on investment. Yes, but so did the royalty reviews the NDP and PCs undertook. Moreover, to the same effect as the BC proposal, in the boom Notley also suggested a moratorium on development - which would have been wise for a lot of reasons coming home to roost right now - including our current over-development situation where we now have so much overcapacity that we are apparently getting $25/bbl less due to the lack of export access.

So Notley should be careful about not becoming hypocritical about BC not wanting increased shipping without forethought and preplanning.

As I keep saying, this is the nature of the business that we have chosen to be very dependent upon. It’s a volatile, dirty, potentially disastrous, regulation prone, commodity extraction business.

Anyway, who’s for boycotting BC?
    Last edited by KC; 31-01-2018 at 01:44 PM.

Let me get this straight, one of the reasons BC joined confederation was because of the railway. It was built to connect them with the rest of Canada. Highways, pipelines, railways, utilities join the nation for the benefit of all Canadians.
    Now that AB wants another pipeline/ expand an existing pipeline BC throws a hissy fit. Its a sorry situation that has been allowed to develop by the Federal Government of all stripes. The Federal Govt has jurisdiction over items that span provincial boundaries or that cross an international border. By not enforcing these rules they have allowed special interest groups and provinces to challenge/ stall/ stonewall projects which in fact are not even under the jurisdiction of said provinces. Now the genie is out of the bottle, and the Federal Govt is going to have to work hard to put that back into the bottle.
    This is exactly why we have the constitution and the Federal Govt, it's for the benefit of ALL Canadians.

C2E SME

Retaliation isn't the answer, although it would be fun to see the reaction if Alberta was to shut down any BC lumber from crossing the great divide. But by all means, drag them to court and publicly advertise how much government resources were wasted by BC's NDP and Greens in a futile fight that has no hope of being won.

Quote Originally Posted by rupikhalon001 View Post
    Let me get this straight, one of the reasons BC joined confederation was because of the railway. It was built to connect them with the rest of Canada. Highways, pipelines, railways, utilities join the nation for the benefit of all Canadians.
    Now that AB wants another pipeline/ expand an existing pipeline BC throws a hissy fit. Its a sorry situation that has been allowed to develop by the Federal Government of all stripes. The Federal Govt has jurisdiction over items that span provincial boundaries or that cross an international border. By not enforcing these rules they have allowed special interest groups and provinces to challenge/ stall/ stonewall projects which in fact are not even under the jurisdiction of said provinces. Now the genie is out of the bottle, and the Federal Govt is going to have to work hard to put that back into the bottle.
    This is exactly why we have the constitution and the Federal Govt, it's for the benefit of ALL Canadians.
    Like I said before, we have a prime minister that is more into building a twitter following than building a nation. When it comes to he benefit of the country as a whole someone has to be decisive. As we can all see this grandstanding just gets out of hand and nothing gets done.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    On the radio she mentioned how it’s going to put the chill on investment. Yes, but so did the royalty reviews the NDP and PCs undertook. Moreover, to the same effect as the BC proposal, in the boom Notley also suggested a moratorium on development - which would have been wise for a lot of reasons coming home to roost right now - including our current over-development situation where we now have so much overcapacity that we are apparently getting $25/bbl less due to the lack of export access.

So Notley should be careful about not becoming hypocritical about BC not wanting increased shipping without forethought and preplanning.

As I keep saying, this is the nature of the business that we have chosen to be very dependent upon. It’s a volatile, dirty, potentially disastrous, regulation prone, commodity extraction business.

Anyway, who’s for boycotting BC?
    If anything has been booming in BC in recent years, it has been real estate not natural resource development. When there was a rush to develop multiple oil sands sites in Alberta some years ago there was some merit to suggest it be done in a more orderly way, but we are not talking about multiple pipelines in BC now. The only one in question is basically an expansion of an existing one, so it isn't really even a new pipeline. I don't know if there are any other major projects than the Site C dam in northern BC. They kept talking about LNG export facilities for years, but don't seem to be able to get anything off the ground so far. If one could argue Alberta had too many resource projects at one time, I think it would also be fair to say BC seems to have very few currently.

Like I said before, we have a prime minister that is more into building a twitter following than building a nation. When it comes to he benefit of the country as a whole someone has to be decisive. As we can all see this grandstanding just gets out of hand and nothing gets done.
    Exactly, decisive is the key word. That is sorely lacking with the Federal Govt.

Most people in B C are all about how much their house is worth. If the real estate market collapsed and tax revenue fell all of a sudden Alberta oil and gas would be a hot commodity.

We are already a hot commodity for many BC folks working up north. In the scaffold trades alone, how many are there from BC? I don't have enough fingers to count. What a shame bunch this BC government is. LNG or lumber has no issue for the environments? Im all for greens, but I think they're smoking way too much.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Well, Albertans don’t need to support BC’s tourism business to the same extent as we have for decades.

Albertans alone were almost as much as all of the USA. BC residents’ value means little as that’s just money sloshing about. Resident spending is not bringing in wealth to their province.

See tables 17 & 18:

“Domestic market
    Overnight visitors from Canada accounted for over 11 million travellers in 2010, a 7% increase from 2009. Of travellers from Canada, B.C. residents made up the largest share of visitor volume (74%) and expenditures (54%) in 2010 (Figure 24). Alberta was the second largest domestic market of overnight visitors to B.C., representing one-fifth of the Canadian visitor volume (19%) and 26% of expenditures. Overall, visitors from Canada spent about 1% less in 2010 than in 2009.”

https://www.destinationbc.ca/getatta...-2012.pdf.aspx
    In millions of dollars, the expenditures by source below are from tables 17,18. Note that the “prairies” while spending much more than Quebec aren’t worthy of being treated separately. VERY INTERESTING.

Alberta contributed $1.2 billion.

1,519 USA
    67 Mexico
    845 Asia
    764 Europe
    45 other

1,234 Alberta
    548 Ontario
    77 Quebec
    216 Prairies
    62 Atlantic
    Last edited by KC; 31-01-2018 at 09:17 PM.

Some credit is due to the PM in BC. He did make a good point to those protesting the pipeline - he said, it will be done. Finally some determined words. It's not like the entire room was against the pipeline, it seems to be the vocal minority

C2E SME

Some credit is due to the PM in BC. He did make a good point to those protesting the pipeline - he said, it will be done. Finally some determined words. It's not like the entire room was against the pipeline, it seems to be the vocal minority
    This article had some interesting statistics on pipeline support in both provinces: http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/i...de-is-unified/

In B.C., 39 per cent believe in building pipelines while 29 per cent are against, according to an Abacus Data survey; the rest are in the ambivalent middle. In Alberta, the split is 67 per cent to six. An Angus Reid Institute poll last fall asked directly whether Trans Mountain should go ahead: British Columbia’s yeas beat the nays, 47 per cent to 33; B.C. Liberals are likely to be in favour than NDP or Green voters are opposed.
    So even in BC, a plurality support pipelines, and nearly as many are on the fence. However, in the lower mainland and especially on the Island, there is vehement opposition. And that's the base that the BC NDP needs to keep happy, along with maintaining Green party support while a minority government.

^ I've lived in Coquitlam for ~ 25 years during the Dave Barret days and I converse with people from all over the lower mainland on a weekly basis. I have family in the area. Most people in the area are mixed abt the pipeline. Most of the people protesting it are paid protestors, aboriginals some paid and unpaid, people living along the Burrard/Indian arm area and those in metro Vancouver. Personally I think Notley is over reacting, thinking like a politician. Until the Horgan Govt. actually goes through with the proposal, Notley shouldn't do anything but gather her options in the event that BC actually begins to set things up. Then we can talk about a trade war.

C2E Posting Power

^Lol @ paid protesters, what a lazy way to discredit a protest. Who would be paying them? The BC government? Those uber wealthy non-profit environmental organizations?

There's plenty of legitimate points to debate and criticize, not sure why people jump on stupid ideas like that.

Quote Originally Posted by seamusmcduffs View Post
    ^Lol @ paid protesters, what a lazy way to discredit a protest. Who would be paying them? The BC government? Those uber wealthy non-profit environmental organizations?

There's plenty of legitimate points to debate and criticize, not sure why people jump on stupid ideas like that.
    Well, hate to burst your bubble but there are a few organizations that would love nothing better than to stop Alberta oil from going anywhere. Rent a Riot has been around for some time and it's a million dollar industry. Money will by protesters. Let's face it, a lot of those protesters are out there through the day so probably not working. Usually questions are handled by their leaders because the chanters usually can't string two cohesive words together to tell us what they are protesting for.
    Most of them probably unemployed or unemployable or just don't want to work. They think 'being green' is a job. They get called up to protest for a fee. I wonder if they claim it on their income taxes. Every heard of the 'Tides Foundation'. There are others who pay for Rent a Rioters. I don't think most of those deadbeats would be on the protest lines if they weren't paid and given a hot bowl of soup and sandwiches, maybe clean socks and a change of undies (or at least some money to buy some),

http://business.financialpost.com/op...-oil-pipelines

Given that the National Observer is partially funded by Tides, it bears mention that Tides is by no means an impartial bystander in the campaign against Alberta oil. In fact, Tides is the funding and co-ordination juggernaut behind anti-pipeline activism. Totaling US$35 million, Tides made more than 400 payments (2009 to 2015) to nearly 100 anti-pipeline groups. Without all that Tides money, pipeline projects would not be facing well-organized opposition.

^ Thanks for validating my point. I forgot the term Rent a Riot. Here's another paid protestor link:

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...ng-environment

Licence plates next?

Notley also suspended electrical talks with B C last week.https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...s-with-bc.html

She won her battle with Saskatchewan and if she wins this battle with B.C. she'll be BMOP (Big Man On Prairies)

She's looking like Jason Kenney! LOL!

I approve of these Notley moves and really respect that she is doing these things. This is exactly some of the moves I suggested she make in the ban thread. These are available things that you can do. It may look silly, seem reactionary, but its tactical battle after threat. Its follow through.

Anybody can say what they want about Notley but she's all in on this battle and fighting a pretty good game. Don't mess with her is coming to fruition around now. I wonder if produce is next, excuse pun..
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    I approve of these Notley moves and really respect that she is doing these things. This is exactly some of the moves I suggested she make in the ban thread. These are available things that you can do. It may look silly, seem reactionary, but its tactical battle after threat. Its follow through.

Anybody can say what they want about Notley but she's all in on this battle and fighting a pretty good game. Don't mess with her is coming to fruition around now. I wonder if produce is next, excuse pun..
    I do not like the NDP but I do like Notley’s tactics here. If she escalates this and can turn off the oil flow to BC causing them tremendous grief, then the NDP might have a chance at getting re-elected.

I have a feeling though if the federal government had to step in for any reason they would side with it's darlings in B.C. The people of Lotus Land would expect this.
    The people of Alberta will get shafted by a liberal fed government. They will find reasons for us not to retaliate to B.C. but they would let B.C. walk all over us.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post

I do not like the NDP but I do like Notley’s tactics here. If she escalates this and can turn off the oil flow to BC causing them tremendous grief, then the NDP might have a chance at getting re-elected.
    I agree, which is what Kenney has said...
    Last edited by H.L.; 07-02-2018 at 01:25 PM.

Restaurant owners aren't happy. Better to tick off the oil barons for a short while..than say no to BC wine..jmhi

Apparently B.C. wine coming into Alberta is a 700 million dollar business. To a trillion dollar budget it may not seem much but to the B.C. wine producers it's a huge amount.

Restaurant owners aren't happy. Better to tick off the oil barons for a short while..than say no to BC wine..jmhi
    I'm not sure what you mean. Some restaurants have, on their own pulled BC wine from the shelves.

In anycase I think Notley is really on her game here and coming into her own the last year or so. She had a rocky start but is getting better. She's really got an ear on servicing populist response and which should have been more her game all along.

In this one not only is she banning BC wines she managed to get kind words in on Albertans supporting their own and turning to the excellent craft brew alberta market. hehe. So that anything she loses from some wine availability complaints is supplanted by her supporting local industry. It was a very good two birds hit. well done Notley.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

As much as I like the expansion of Trans Mountain pipeline, BC has a valid argument:

https://twnsacredtrust.ca/concerns/s...BoC8RoQAvD_BwE

So I'm kind of mixed on this project.

There has probably been more oil and gas spilled in car crashes in BC than that 52 years.

It seems that provinces fight with each other more every time the federal Liberals are in power.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    As much as I like the expansion of Trans Mountain pipeline, BC has a valid argument:

Nice bit of charting propaganda: those large oil drops are in no way proportional to the numbers reported. That 6,982 drop is not twice-ish as large as the 2,998 drop, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    It seems that provinces fight with each other more every time the federal Liberals are in power.
    Especially when the Liberal brand is being run by a figurehead non action figure that is full of platitudes.

I mean nobody is running the federal ship so the infighting amongst provinces is more predictable in that view. Plus that the Liberal support, itself, is usually more geographically localized which dynamically brings more provincial infighting and regional divisiveness.

Now that said I realize in the last election Trudeau made some unexpected in roads, Calgary for instance, but typically the prairies are on their own when the Liberals are in power and are anyway even when they do get votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post

Nice bit of charting propaganda: those large oil drops are in no way proportional to the numbers reported. That 6,982 drop is not twice-ish as large as the 2,998 drop, for example.
    Any proper map would convey possible oil tanker spills along the pristine BC coastline but at these drop scales that would so big it would cover the whole map...

The actual pipeline, and spillage there isn't the problem. Those are pretty miniscule numbers relatively speaking.
    Last edited by Replacement; 07-02-2018 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Especially when the Liberal brand is being run by a figurehead non action figure that is full of platitudes.

I mean nobody is running the federal ship so the infighting amongst provinces is more predictable in that view. Plus that the Liberal support, itself, is usually more geographically localized which dynamically brings more provincial infighting and regional divisiveness.

Now that said I realize in the last election Trudeau made some unexpected in roads, Calgary for instance, but typically the prairies are on their own when the Liberals are in power and are anyway even when they do get votes.
    The prairies always get short shrifted by eastern politicians. Our oil wealth is fabulous, that passes muster no problem. When it comes to anything else we are the black sheep of the family.

C2E SME

I look forward to Edmonton PRT lecturing The Sacred Trust Initiative for not properly using "liters", a la Farva from Super Troopers insisting on his liter of Cola.

The expansion won't be ready to pump oil through it until 2020 anyway, which is the time frame of BC's proposal. Kinder Morgan is still going ahead with the construction of the pipeline but I propose that there be an independent proposal. BC's 2 year review/investigation should in no way stop the construction of pipeline itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post

I look forward to Edmonton PRT lecturing The Sacred Trust Initiative for not properly using "liters", a la Farva from Super Troopers insisting on his liter of Cola.
    I never look forward to that gaseous weasel of a wind bag lecturing anyone but you're entitled to your opinion.

Even though I am adamantly opposed to Trans Mountain expansion I must admit Notley's handling of this issue by creating an "us against them" atmosphere is a shrewd political move. Notley came to power on the backs of what could best be described as soft support in Calgary and suburban Edmonton. Her stance on this issue might bleed off small amounts of her hard-core supporters but it's likely to firm up large numbers of her soft support.

The first question that all anti-pipeline people should be asked is whether or not they own anything containing any petroleum component such as, for example, any plastic in an IPhone, a Gortex jacket, the elastic around the waistband of their undergarments, eyeglasses, contact lenses, and, as well, where in China their bicycle was made and was the plant coal-fired or solar-powered?

If they have anything like that they should promptly donate all of those items to charity and dress only in hemp or rucksack. And only walk or ride animals to travel.

Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Channelling Leonardo DiCaprio .

Do as I say not as I do....

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post

I never look forward to that gaseous weasel of a wind bag lecturing anyone but you're entitled to your opinion.
    God, how right you are..he loves to hear himself

C2E Posting Power

^^It's a logical problem because it can be used to defend any industry. Can't criticize the lumber industry since you live in a house made of wood with wooden furniture and print paper. Can't criticize the fishing industry because you eat sushi sometimes. Can't criticize the farming industry because you eat food. You can do this for literally anything. The very act of living means you have to take part in our capitalistic society. Even the homeless have to do it.

If someone feels an industry is being irresponsible and environmentally friendly, they have the right to protest and argue it, using their products doesn't exclude them from that. There's a difference between saying "We don't want oil ever", and "We feel this pipeline is environmentally irresponsible and would like more immediate action to be taken to reduce our dependence on oil".

It's true that Tu qoque doesn't logically refute a particular argument. But it does raise the question about why some people are expected to change their behaviour, whereas other people, in fact, the same people who are demanding the change in behaviour, are not.

In the department of I Can't Believe I Remember This...

Back in the 80s, when Jimmy Pattison had become a big hero for producing Expo 86, some people pointed out that, in contrast to the teachings of his evangelical Christian church, his magazine-distribution company was selling pornography. Among the conservative media types defending Pattison on this were some who had previously argued that porn should be outlawed because it leads to rape and other crimes. Given that their plan for banning pornography would have resulted in unemployment for many people, it was valid to ask why they thought Pattison and his company shouldn't have to make a bit of a sacrifice as well.

^I'm not asking anyone to change behaviour. I am asking that we don't satiaite the avarice of the oil companies by building a pipeline whose sole purpose is to remove energy from Canada at great cost to our environment.

Repeating a logical fallacy doesn't make it any less fallacious.

Similarly argumentum ad logicam

Being a hypocrite is a cross I guess you'll have to bear.

Being a hypocrite is a cross I guess you'll have to bear.
    I'm okay with being thought of as a hypocrite by someone who's incapable of understanding basic logic.

Why not peddle your bicycle north on 103 Street and just north of 51 Avenue on the east side past Alberta Works around 7:30 a.m. and impress all the people lining up who are out of work with your logic. I'm sure they'll be receptive.

Why not peddle your bicycle north on 103 Street and just north of 51 Avenue on the east side past Alberta Works around 7:30 a.m. and impress all the people lining up who are out of work with your logic. I'm sure they'll be receptive.
    Why would I try to sell a bike to unemployed oilpatch workers?

Oh, you meant pedal. No go there, I don't currently have a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by seamusmcduffs View Post
    ^^It's a logical problem because it can be used to defend any industry. Can't criticize the lumber industry since you live in a house made of wood with wooden furniture and print paper. Can't criticize the fishing industry because you eat sushi sometimes. Can't criticize the farming industry because you eat food. You can do this for literally anything. The very act of living means you have to take part in our capitalistic society. Even the homeless have to do it.

If someone feels an industry is being irresponsible and environmentally friendly, they have the right to protest and argue it, using their products doesn't exclude them from that. There's a difference between saying "We don't want oil ever", and "We feel this pipeline is environmentally irresponsible and would like more immediate action to be taken to reduce our dependence on oil".
    Everyone is entitled to their feelings whatever they are, but big projects are not halted because some people are unhappy about them. If you think they should be, in essence you are saying there must be 100% support for any project to proceed, which will never happen and is just a round about way of trying to achieve no pipelines.

C2E Posting Power

^ Never said it should be halted, or even suggested it. In fact I never even stated what my opinion on the matter is... All I was doing was pointing out that people can be critical of an industry and protest it without necessarily being hypocritical, just because they partake in it.

There should be a independent review because the BC 2 year review will be biased. A stall tactic.

I try to see the issue from both sides and whenever possible try to devil's advocate, which is why i provided the chart above. Like i said I'm mixed on the issue.

Thread should be titled 2nd last year

Why would I try to sell a bike to unemployed oilpatch workers?

Oh, you meant pedal. No go there, I don't currently have a bike.
    Arrogant pedanticism I see. Your feeble attempts at intellectual superiority only illustrates the lack of common sense displayed. Logic does not feed people. Work and jobs do.

Arrogant pedanticism I see. Your feeble attempts at intellectual superiority only illustrates the lack of common sense displayed.
    Dude, it was a joke. Maybe you can head down to Alberta Works & put in an ad to hire some of these down on their luck oilpatch workers to pull that huge stick outta your ***.

Logic does not feed people. Work and jobs do.

Replace "value for shareholders" with "jobs for oilpatch workers"

Alberta and Canada are easy targets. Maybe you should go to West Virginia or China and 'pedal' your positions.

Alberta and Canada are easy targets. Maybe you should go to West Virginia or China and 'pedal' your positions.
    Huh?

Dial back the crazy, you're not making much sense. Where did I bring up Alberta & Canada? What have I said while refuting your fallacious "either you support oil unconditionally or you should get rid of anything petrochemical" notion that's restricted to just Alberta or Canada?

I support the need for meaningful action to fight climate change. The suite of measures in Alberta's climate leadership plan are the strongest in Canada, and significantly stronger than BC's.

But I also support the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion.

All of the other pipeline expansion projects ship Alberta's oil into the US where domestic oil production recently topped 10 million barrels per day, and where demand for our oil is likely to begin shrinking rather than expanding in the coming years.

Only the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion gets Alberta oil to Canadian tidewater for export to the US West Coast and the Asia-Pacific where oil demand is forecast to keep growing for decades to come.

If Canada can't even get a desperately needed pipeline built within our own borders, what message does this send about our country being a good place to invest and do business?

More full time jobs created in Alberta last month than the rest of the country, combined!

https://twitter.com/francesdonald/st...81148187582469

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast