Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Premier Notley's Second Year

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    i love reading this lol. The stupid right wing nonsense is beautiful.
    I love reading how all you lefties on this board that didn't vote for Jim P in the last election because "we need change," are all whining now over RN now that the honeymoon is over. If RN gets a 2nd term, I'd be surprised. #Witch hunt.
    I'm not whining. But you right wingers are
    I'm not whining I'm , and enjoying watching all of you traitor pc and rank and file left people whining because you voted RN. Although I admit she's done some good things, like promoting our oil industry flying in the face of your comrades in BC. I'm split on the carbon tax. other wise I'd say 50-50 ish.I wouldn't worry about the pc's though, next election, we'll be back!
    How are the PC's coming back? Doesn't PC Leader Kenney already want to have a vote to disolve the PC's after he plans to unite it with Wildrose?

I love reading how all you lefties on this board that didn't vote for Jim P in the last election because "we need change," are all whining now over RN now that the honeymoon is over. If RN gets a 2nd term, I'd be surprised. #Witch hunt.
    I'm not whining I'm , and enjoying watching all of you traitor pc and rank and file left people whining because you voted RN. Although I admit she's done some good things, like promoting our oil industry flying in the face of your comrades in BC. I'm split on the carbon tax. other wise I'd say 50-50 ish.I wouldn't worry about the pc's though, next election, we'll be back!
    "...traitor pc rank and file...". Interesting. A very primative and tribal mentality, but maybe that's how best to describe those involved. They hate democracy and prefer all the other forms of governance that came before democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    "...traitor pc rank and file...". Interesting. A very primative and tribal mentality, but maybe that's how best to describe those involved. They hate democracy and prefer all the other forms of governance that came before democracy.
    Can't stand that old gaurd . Rank and file lol they act like we're their b^ches or sheep or something . Guess they didn't learn in the last election .

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by champking View Post
    Can't stand that old gaurd . Rank and file lol they act like we're their b^ches or sheep or something . Guess they didn't learn in the last election .
    But some of us did! There was no mention of a carbon tax, not from Notley or tater tot!

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    But some of us did! There was no mention of a carbon tax, not from Notley or tater tot!
    Did you know Alberta's had a carbon tax since 2009 ? Implemented by the conservatives. Prentice the lefty stooge also raised taxes before the election on everything from gas - beer. The PC'S and NDP are 2 peas in a pod . Party's of progs and dippers

C2E Continued Contributor

Regardless of who wins the next election - NDP or UCP - taxes will be going up. Call it whatever you want - levys, fees, taxes,...

The days of running on low taxes to provide high services are gone.
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

Regardless of who wins the next election - NDP or UCP - taxes will be going up. Call it whatever you want - levys, fees, taxes,...

Not seeing this high level of service . This governments become too big and bloated , too many inefficiency's and slackers . That's the problem and no amount of tax increase will solve it
    Last edited by champking; 23-06-2017 at 10:11 PM.

Yes. I agree. I think I'll go with the party I know, and not the one that seems to be following tater tot in Ottawa!

There's no way Notely will get voted in again , primarily the carbon tax. It would have been different under more favorable economic times but , at a time Albertan's are losing their jobs, having pay cut ...she's kicking Albertan's down when least deserve it . Her and her government trough feeders don't get it cause they protected , they have taxpayers supporting them , self entitled and greedy they are .

Same for Don Coniverson the city's incompetent council , there's nobody yet running against but people rather vote for a rock than them neanderthals

There's no way Notely will get voted in again , primarily the carbon tax. It would have been different under more favorable economic times but , at a time Albertan's are losing their jobs, having pay cut ...she's kicking Albertan's down when least deserve it . Her and her government trough feeders don't get it cause they protected , they have taxpayers supporting them , self entitled and greedy they are .

Same for Don Coniverson the city's incompetent council , there's nobody yet running against but people rather vote for a rock than them neanderthals
    I wish someone would run against him. I havent heard anyone that really likes him, I'm not voting for him. But them I'm hoping to be moving to St Albert, and not put up with his crap

Like I said before - you want a provincial or federal carbon tax? You have to pick one, because you're going to get one or another.

What's with you right wingers? Can't you guys comprehend this?
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

Like I said before - you want a provincial or federal carbon tax? You have to pick one, because you're going to get one or another.

What you lefties don't understand we can elect in a guy like Fildebrant and rather than bring in new taxes we can hack and slash our over bloated/ incompetent burocracy. A guy like Ralph Klein is what's needed

I wish someone would run against him. I havent heard anyone that really likes him, I'm not voting for him. But them I'm hoping to be moving to St Albert, and not put up with his crap
    I left Edmonton. For St. Albert and like it here. While taxes are higher we have a much higher quality of life, better managed city, if you like parks and quality I'm sure St. Albert be good fit for you. We have everything here , . It's one of the few places I know you can fish right in town .
    Last edited by champking; 24-06-2017 at 04:53 PM.

I left Edmonton. For St. Albert and like it here. While taxes are higher we have a much higher quality of life, better managed city, if you like parks and quality I'm sure St. Albert be good fit for you. We have everything here , . It's one of the few places I know you can fish right in town .
    We have family that live there, I really like SA.. As for the taxes, ours just went up again, and the places we've looked at are on par with our taxes. I loved Edmonton for many years, but it's changed, and I don't like the direction it's going.

Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

We have family that live there, I really like SA.. As for the taxes, ours just went up again, and the places we've looked at are on par with our taxes. I loved Edmonton for many years, but it's changed, and I don't like the direction it's going.
    Best way to vote is with your pocket book. Don't give Edmonton city , it's businesses , it's organizations a nickel . They wonder why they can't make any money lol.

Best way to vote is with your pocket book. Don't give Edmonton city , it's businesses , it's organizations a nickel . They wonder why they can't make any money lol.
    How unbearably stupid can you get?

By numbers alone, Edmonton must have several times more people whose politics match the morоn who wrote this than St. Albert.

Why he would choose to boycott people like him, only whatever is left of his amoeba-eaten brain knows.
    Last edited by AShetsen; 24-06-2017 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post

By numbers alone, Edmonton must have several times more people whose politics match the morоn who wrote this than St. Albert.

Why he would choose to boycott people like him, only whatever is left of his amoeba-eaten brain knows.
    We're #1 place in Canada ( St. Albert ) to raise a family for a reason ☺
    It's about quality !

It's about quality !
    Good to know its also great to use that ignore list, makes life so much happier on here

It's about quality !
    Good to know its also great to use that ignore list, makes life so much happier on here
    Nice thing here we don't have issues with dandelions or losing your vehicle in a pothole . When our road crews come in its during the night and they will pave a mile of road by morning , unlike Edmonton where it takes them a year . A guy can have nice things and not worry about it getting ruined . If you like your 55+ ..lots here . Hugely family oriented. People are nice.
    We don't have a homeless problem.
    Have yet to find one bad thing about St. Albert . Where as Edmonton it run by incompetent neanderthal, they do nothing right .
    Other than 1 photo radar trap. They ain't out to nickel and dime , won't see a parking meters ☺
    Last edited by champking; 25-06-2017 at 12:20 AM.

If Trudeau wants to impose a carbon tax while he personally travels with massive emissions, around in helicopters to private islands and similar, let him, let the blood and stupidity be on his hands. Notley is on her last legs, and Alberta's carbon tax is going to be repealed. That's not a maybe, or an if, its whats going to happen. Then, to be competitive again, we are going to have to start reducing our spending, because if taxes go up anymore, more business will close and unemployment is going to soar even more. Regular Albertan's who aren't lucky enough to get plumb government jobs, deserve better than that, I'm tired of my taxes being spent on six figure bonuses for doctors and former union officials working for the NDP, I'm looking forward to the change back to what we can afford, which is still much better than most of the world, even if it means every classroom has to have a couple more kids, and regular GP's have to do some work instead of just referring every condition to an overpriced specialist.
    Last edited by moahunter; 25-06-2017 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post

If Trudeau wants to impose a carbon tax while he personally travels with massive emissions, around in helicopters to private islands and similar, let him, let the blood and stupidity be on his hands. Notley is on her last legs, and Alberta's carbon tax is going to be repealed. That's not a maybe, or an if, its whats going to happen. Then, to be competitive again, we are going to have to start reducing our spending, because if taxes go up anymore, more business will close and unemployment is going to soar even more. Regular Albertan's who aren't lucky enough to get plumb government jobs, deserve better than that, I'm tired of my taxes being spent on six figure bonuses for doctors and former union officials working for the NDP, I'm looking forward to the change back to what we can afford, which is still much better than most of the world, even if it means every classroom has to have a couple more kids, and regular GP's have to do some work instead of just referring every condition to an overpriced specialist.
    At least you get it Moahunter! It's coming ! Talk to the average Albertan they sick of the burocracy, the bloat. I would offer them a 30% reduction in pay or jobs the first year . Save as much of the front line as possible . If they don't clean up their departments another 30%. Automate a lot of the jobs , ax a lot of them before retirement . Did you know there was sum $100 million in unfunded pension liabilitys ?

They have abused taxpayers far too long !

Good luck fighting the Feds on this one. Every other province has/will sign on.

You guys are laughable
    It's heaven and hell!

You guys are laughable
    We don't need the Fed to intervene then do we ?

Most those energy company's / CEO'S that lobby for a carbon tax are gone , been punted .
    Last edited by champking; 25-06-2017 at 10:44 AM.

You guys are laughable
    You are laughable if you think the Federal Liberaltard party will be in power forever, already dropping the polls, and failing to implement promise after promise. There is only so much, "you do this", "while I personally ignore it and do that", that people will take from out of touch ivory tower elites in Ottawa.

You guys are laughable
    You are laughable if you think the Federal Liberaltard party will be in power forever, already dropping the polls, and failing to implement promise after promise. There is only so much, "you do this", "while I personally ignore it and do that", that people will take from out of touch ivory tower elites in Ottawa.
    Reminds of the Alison Redfords who kept saying " when asked it's what Albertan's ask for "..
    They never listen , ...Notely be out of a job too

You guys are laughable
    When did I say the liberals will be in power forever?

What is a Liberaltard?
    It's heaven and hell!

The opposite of a Cuckservative.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    The opposite of a Cuckservative.
    I don't think they're exactly opposites.

"Liberaltard" is used by conservatives to refer to liberals, and basically just means something like "stupid liberals", without going into too much detail about why they're stupid.

"Cuckservative", on the other hand, is used by conservatives to refer to other conservatives, specifically those who are considered too enammoured of certain left-wing ideas related to immigration and multiculturalism. The term comes from a genre of p***, involving scenarios in which a white man watches his wife in carnal embrace with a black man. The idea is that pro-multiculturalism conservatives(represented by the white husband) are selling out their country(the wife) to ethnic minorities(the black man).

So, both terms are used by conservatives to insult their opponents, but "cuckservative" is aimed at other conservatives, and is more specific about the issues being referenced.

^"Libtard" is the phrase of choice on Breitbart et al.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

Thanks Overoceans, I think you pretty much nailed it. I think.

You guys are laughable

What is a Liberaltard?
    You were claiming nonesensically that its pointless for Alberta to drop the tax on everything, because a federal government could try to force it in. As the Liberal party is now polling in minority territory, that's highly unlikely, the prairie provinces are going to start mattering even to Trudeau. I constantly read on here about Cons, its doesn't take a huge amount of wit to recognize a Liberal equivalent term. Any government leader who forces taxes on regular Canadians for day to day activities like heating their homes, while himself undertaking entertainment activities that emit more carbon that most Canadians will use in a lifetime, is likely corrupt or mentally deficient. Canadians are starting to see it. If there is one thing to Notleys credit, at least she is not taking jaunts to private islands while trying to sell us on what will be ever escalating taxes to meet those Paris commitments that most countries in the world are not taking any serious measures to implement.
    Last edited by moahunter; 26-06-2017 at 07:48 AM.

Poll suggests 'northern populism' brewing in 'divided' Canada
    http://nationalpost.com/news/politic...8-02c7e9cf9d5b

OTTAWA — A majority of Canadians believe the factors driving recent political upheaval in other Western countries are on the rise here too, a new poll suggests
    Thing is, though, this isn't the same thing as asking the respondents if they themselves have populist views. Rather, they're asking them if they think OTHER people have populist views.

Imagine if an election poll, instead of asking "Who are you planning to vote for?" asked "Who do you think will win?" That would not be an accurate way of predicting the results, since even if, for example, the majority answered "the Liberals", it wouldn't neccessarily mean that they are all Liberal supporters. Many of them could be pessimistic Conservatives or New Democrats.

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    OTTAWA — A majority of Canadians believe the factors driving recent political upheaval in other Western countries are on the rise here too, a new poll suggests
    Thing is, though, this isn't the same thing as asking the respondents if they themselves have populist views. Rather, they're asking them if they think OTHER people have populist views.

Imagine if an election poll, instead of asking "Who are you planning to vote for?" asked "Who do you think will win?" That would not be an accurate way of predicting the results, since even if, for example, the majority answered "the Liberals", it wouldn't neccessarily mean that they are all Liberal supporters. Many of them could be pessimistic Conservatives or New Democrats.
    Or they could be listening to others, family members , friends etc . They must see a lot of people aren't supportive of their views.

You guys are laughable

What is a Liberaltard?
    You were claiming nonesensically that its pointless for Alberta to drop the tax on everything, because a federal government could try to force it in. As the Liberal party is now polling in minority territory, that's highly unlikely, the prairie provinces are going to start mattering even to Trudeau. I constantly read on here about Cons, its doesn't take a huge amount of wit to recognize a Liberal equivalent term. Any government leader who forces taxes on regular Canadians for day to day activities like heating their homes, while himself undertaking entertainment activities that emit more carbon that most Canadians will use in a lifetime, is likely corrupt or mentally deficient. Canadians are starting to see it. If there is one thing to Notleys credit, at least she is not taking jaunts to private islands while trying to sell us on what will be ever escalating taxes to meet those Paris commitments that most countries in the world are not taking any serious measures to implement.
    You sound upset. Did I hurt your feelings?
    It's heaven and hell!

Poll suggests 'northern populism' brewing in 'divided' Canada
    http://nationalpost.com/news/politic...8-02c7e9cf9d5b

I found this interesting (from the article):

When Prime Minister Justin Trudeau began his mandate, he enjoyed uniform support across the educational spectrum.

But the poll suggests that support is becoming increasingly confined to those with a university degree.

It really demonstrates how much liberal brainwashing occurs in our universities, and how the majority of the country is increasingly starting to feel that our Prime Minister isn't doing enough to help average Canadians.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    It really demonstrates how much liberal brainwashing occurs in our universities, and how the majority of the country is increasingly starting to feel that our Prime Minister isn't doing enough to help average Canadians.
    No, it doesn't demonstrate that. If you had data from the same group of students that found them to represent the full political spectrum after graduating high school, and then shifted to the left after graduating university, then you might have the data set you need to draw that conclusion.

There's a common saying - if you're not liberal when you're young, then you're heartless. If you're not conservative by the time you get old, then you're foolish (or poor, or, insert other adjective).

Not really, I'm looking forward to all the anguish Notley supporters are going to feel in a few years time, when the carbon tax is gone, and government spending cuts start finally taking hold. Its just a shame for the people caught in the middle, you know, those foolishly hired into government positions that we can't afford / will need to be cut, if Notley had faced up to our revenue situation, that wouldn't have been necessary.

Not really, I'm looking forward to all the anguish Notley supporters are going to feel in a few years time, when the carbon tax is gone, and government spending cuts start finally taking hold. Its just a shame for the people caught in the middle, you know, those foolishly hired into government positions that we can't afford / will need to be cut, if Notley had faced up to our revenue situation, that wouldn't have been necessary.
    Notley has had our revenue situation shoved in her face. It was the series of predecessors that seemed to not have faced up to the revenue situation. Now Notley has been faced with the task of not throwing more fuel on the fire.

Though I'll have to admit that Stelmach and Getty faced the same situations (or perceptions of the same rainy day situations) in their terms and did the same as Notley is doing now - relying on "fiscal stimulus" to support a weakening economy.

I think the NDP could be doing a better job with spending. The real tragedy is that I think they're doing a better job than anyone else would. They happen to be the least bad when it comes to the services vs. spending file. United Slash & Burn would put thousands of people out of work to cut costs, cut infrastructure spending, pat themselves on the back for reducing the deficit, and then blame everyone but themselves when voters become agitated over lack of services and crumbling infrastructure, especially as it rapidly outgrows population growth.

You want to know how to kill investment faster than raising taxes? Create a province that can't attract workers because nobody wants to live there.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

^^Alberta doesn't have a "revenue situation". Other provinces would kill to have our revenues, even with these oil and gas prices. We have a spending problem, her predecessors didn't face up to it, but she has made it even worse.

^^Alberta doesn't have a "revenue situation". Other provinces would kill to have our revenues, even with these oil and gas prices. We have a spending problem, her predecessors didn't face up to it, but she has made it even worse.
    Well lets look more closely at our two provincial neighbours. If BC didn't have a PST sales tax, they would have a huge deficit too - even with their fairly buoyant housing sector. Saskatchewan just raised their PST in their last budget and they still have a deficit, even after a lot of cut backs too. If Alberta had PSTs like either of our neighbours, we wouldn't have a deficit.

Our revenue problem is the volatility of oil economy. Perhaps our neighbours would have killed to have our revenues when oil was $120 per barrel, but at $40 or $50, not so much.

^when you compare Alberta to BC, the government earns almost exactly the same (when resource revenues included), but Alberta's government spends 25% more per person than B.C. does. So logically, if government spending was cut by 25%, we would go back into budget balance. And the world wouldn't collapse, just like it hasn't in B.C.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ison-1.3996276

^^Absolutely. If the NDP had introduced a 5% HST and added a few points to income tax at a lower level than they did it would have cut the deficit to a fraction of what it is now. Yes, be vigilant on spending, freeze teacher and healthcare salaries, all that, but we can't keep relying on oil prices to balance the budget, and we don't want third world services.
    Last edited by Highlander II; 26-06-2017 at 03:52 PM.
    There can only be one.

^Since when has BC had third world services, with their government spending 25% less per person? Our government is fat, there is plenty to cut without changing services at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    ^Absolutely. If the NDP had introduced a 5% HST and added a few points to income tax at a lower level than they did it would have cut the deficit to a fraction of what it is now.
    It would have also kept our credit rating higher. We've been dinged by Moody's because we're leaving tax money on the table. Money that we could collect & still be ahead of other jurisdictions' tax regimes.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

^Since when has BC had third world services, with their government spending 25% less per person? Our government is fat, there is plenty to cut without changing services at all.
    Our government spends 25% more per person, but from the very same source our average wages are 20% more. And yes, that's public and private. Based on that our public sector is just 5% bloated and a few years of the public sector wage freezes that are already started will take care of that.
    There can only be one.

^when you compare Alberta to BC, the government earns almost exactly the same (when resource revenues included), but Alberta's government spends 25% more per person than B.C. does. So logically, if government spending was cut by 25%, we would go back into budget balance. And the world wouldn't collapse, just like it hasn't in B.C.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ison-1.3996276
    Thank you for the link , but maybe you meant a different article. It actually says in the first line of this article that Alberta "collects $1,300 less per person in tax". In the 5th line it says Alberta collects $8 billion less in revenue (I presume some revenue that BC collects is not considered tax). Also using the numbers in the article, even if Alberta reduced spending to match BC's, there would still be a deficit of over $5 billion. Therefore, this article does support that Alberta's deficit is more of a revenue than a spending problem.

^
    If Alberta spent the same levels on government as British Columbia, the deficit would be significantly reduced or eliminated," the party said in release.

And they're right, at least in theory.

At B.C.'s spending rate of $10,560 per person, Alberta's expenses for this fiscal year would total $42.9 billion.

Coincidentally, Alberta's projected revenue for this year is also $42.9 billion.
    It makes zero sense that we spend 25% per capita more than B.C. Our revenues are almost exactly the same if you include resource revenues (only marginally less). Its an out of control fat cat bureaucrat spending problem, not revenue problem. If we were taxed more, government spending's will just ramp up to match it - will then spend 30% more, or 40% more. If you are addicted to credit cards, it doesn't matter how many jobs you work, you will always spend more than you earn, and that's the situation we are in.

^
    If Alberta spent the same levels on government as British Columbia, the deficit would be significantly reduced or eliminated," the party said in release.

And they're right, at least in theory.

At B.C.'s spending rate of $10,560 per person, Alberta's expenses for this fiscal year would total $42.9 billion.

Coincidentally, Alberta's projected revenue for this year is also $42.9 billion.
    It makes zero sense that we spend 25% per capita more than B.C. Our revenues are almost exactly the same if you include resource revenues (only marginally less). Its an out of control fat cat bureaucrat spending problem, not revenue problem. If we were taxed more, government spending's will just ramp up to match it - will then spend 30% more, or 40% more.
    Here is some more from the same article

"While the Alberta government spends more than its B.C. counterpart, it also collects less tax.

A lot less tax.

Including health premiums, the B.C. government will bring in about $29.4 billion through its various forms of taxation this fiscal year, compared to $20.5 billion in Alberta."

Basically, what this article is saying is in order to balance the budget, Alberta would also have to raise taxes (perhaps by reintroducing Health Care Premiums) as well as cut expenses by 25%. It's not as simple as cutting by 25%, so please don't ignore the parts of the article that don't support that.

What's Klein's 23 billion in today's dollars

Alberta $33 billion in debt with no clear plan to balance the books | Edmonton Journal

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/poli...ance-the-books

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    A lot less tax.

Including health premiums, the B.C. government will bring in about $29.4 billion through its various forms of taxation this fiscal year, compared to $20.5 billion in Alberta."
    Which is offset by the resource revenue Alberta earns. The net revenues Alberta and BC get are the same - the only difference is one province is fiscally responsible (about to change), and the other province spends 25% more per person while racking up massive debt. The argument that "Alberta could just increase its taxes so it can keep up the spending", is totally asinine unless you want unemployment to go to 20%, and we will still be in debt because as revenues go up, the government will just spend even more.

The NDP made more money than expected, but the debt went up. Joe whatshisface creeps me out, plus he's useless! Spend spend spend other peoples money NDP!

Hey, what the hay. According to the NDP we will be out of debt in six years. They also have ocean front property in Arizona to sell.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Hey, what the hay. According to the NDP we will be out of debt in six years. They also have ocean front property in Arizona to sell.
    LOL, true enough!

Alberta, where conservatives think it's great that wages are 20% higher than in BC, except when those wages are for government employees, because government is bad & working for the government is therefore bad & evidently should be discouraged by withholding fair compensation from them.

Hilarious.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Posting Power

The NDP haven't been perfect, but what can they realistically do about the debt? The massive amounts of revenue that the Cons enjoyed for decades disappeared just as they came into power, and theirs no way revenue could keep up. Realistically the only thing they could do is raise taxes, but that's political suicide. At least they're trying to diversify our economy which is more than the cons ever did, but it could be years before we see the benefit of that. Being in debt is a better option than cutting social/education/infrastructure spending. Hopefully the NDP are able to spur the economy enough to get things back on track. Pipelines, upgrading, refineries, alternate energy, biotech, etc.

https://www.albertaoilmagazine.com/2...energy-sector/

The big oilsands players screwed Albertan's hard ! They lobby for the carbon tax ,take billions in carbon capture , then most go sell it off , ....pull investments.
    Last edited by champking; 30-06-2017 at 01:50 PM.

^^the money didn't "disappear", it went to Quebec. In 2015 for example, just one year, Alberta contributed 27 billion more to Canada than it received back.

All our "savings" go to Quebec / Eastern Canada. I find it so funny, we kept hearing about "infrastructure deficit" and how we weren't spending enough when we had money and now the leftwingers are saying its all because we didn't save enough, as if magically more money was available (something proven false by the royalty review that the NDP did - if taxes had been higher, the investment would not have happened in Alberta, we wouldn't have an oil sands today, we would have a province economically just like Montana). The reality is we made a ton of money, it just didn't end up in Alberta, because we are part of Canada - if we weren't part of Canada we would have a fund much bigger than Norway. If, as the NDP is hoping, oil prices go back up, its not going to "solve" their deficit - its just going to fund more spending in other parts of Canada. The only thing that will fix the problem, is spending what other provinces spend on government services. The private sector has taken massive pay cuts / job losses - its time for the government sector to catch up. If that means a doctor gets a 50k bonus instead of a 200k one, and my kids have to have a couple of extra kids in their classroom, I can live with that.
    Last edited by moahunter; 30-06-2017 at 02:02 PM.

The big oilsands players screwed Albertan's hard ! They lobby for the carbon tax , billions in carbon capture , then most go sell it off , ....pull investments. Make us less competitive.
    Except the big oilsands players & other large emitters like power plants aren't directly impacted by the carbon tax, rather the PC-created Specified Gas Emitters Regulation from 2007: http://aep.alberta.ca/climate-change...rs-regulation/

Unless you're telling me the NDP had shadow control of the government a decade ago & used their nefarious influence & illicit power to trick the poor innocent PCs into protecting the environment & not businesses' bottom lines?

Default Year-end fiscal update shows how bad the Notley government's mismanagement is

Sums it up... you raise taxes, drive individuals and businesses out of town, and watch revenues drop instead of go up as the death spiral takes hold.

They cancelled those contracts, which meant the provincial electricity pool had to absorb the cost of those deals.

Rather than passing the $2-billion cost on to electricity consumers, the NDP decided to pass it on to taxpayers.

Same with the $1 billion or more it cost to pay electricity companies to shut their coal plants early.

In short, NDP arrogance, ignorance and ideology ate up nearly all of the $3.3 billion in higher revenues generated last year.

By comparison, the Fort McMurray fire cost about $600 million.

On top of that, NDP increases in personal and corporate income tax rates actually reduced the amount of tax collected. Personal income tax paid was off eight per cent and corporate taxes off nearly 15 per cent.

The NDP theory that if squeezing the golden goose produces more revenue, then wringing its neck will produce even more has proven to be incorrect. When taxes are raised substantially, revenues often fall off as individuals and corporations move investments elsewhere.

Finally, total NDP spending last year was $53.2 billion, way over the $51.1 billion they budgeted for. That means last year's spending was nearly eight per cent higher than the year before that, even though Ceci's budget called for a rise of 3.6 percent.

Irresponsible doesn't begin to cover it.
    http://www.edmontonsun.com/2017/06/3...smanagement-is
    Last edited by moahunter; 30-06-2017 at 02:58 PM.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

On one hand we have a known inflammatory conservative windbag saying we don't tax enough & it's damaging our economic rating.
    On the other hand we have the actual non-partisan economic rating group saying we're not taxing enough & it's damaging our economic rating.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Let's try the old "soft landing" approach:

As Alberta was flying high it flew right into a tornado and Moa wants another Klein budget of putting the plane into a sharp dive austerity program, but Alberta is a boom and bust economy that flies high during good times and has a fear not being able to pull out of a sharp dive and always hopes that it can fly through the centre of a tornado and return to flying along without a huge loss of altitude. So instead when it flies directly into the inevitable tornado if first tries to power up while falling in altitude and in the worst case have a "soft landing"

Moa seems to just want to cut the fuel to engines, hand out the few parachutes to the chosen ones, and kick a whole bunch of passengers out the door to lighten the load...

Stelmach, Prentice and now Notley though all pretty much chose to do almost exactly what Getty did. It actually worked for Stelmach. It might even have worked for Getty if oil prices recovered a bit sooner than they did. Also, Albertans weren't ready for a Klein austerity program in the 1980s. In fact, in the 1980s Klein as mayor of Calgary wasn't ready for a Klein austerity program!!!!!

Prentice chooses Getty over Klein; further erodes Alberta Advantage | Fraser Institute

"... In the lead up to the budget, Prentice talked the talk, even announcing last month that the budget will include an across-the-board five per cent spending cut. Many commentators were quick to draw parallels with former premier Klein, although Klein more aggressively cut spending and faced a more precarious fiscal situation.

Those comparisons were obviously pre-emptive—and wrong. The budget will actually shave just one per cent of program spending in 2015/16, hold the line for the next two years, and then increase it by 2.8 per cent in 2018/19 and 2.3 per cent in 2019/20. All told, program spending will increase 4.3 per cent by 2019/20 relative to the current fiscal year (2014/15).

So much for the Klein comparison. But it gets worse.

Channelling Getty, Prentice announced multiple tax hikes, everything from higher personal income taxes (amounting to an additional $820 million by 2018/19), a new health care tax ($557 million), higher fuel ($562 million) and tobacco ($91 million) taxes, to an insurance premium tax ($177 million). When fully implemented, the announced tax measures will total roughly $2.7 billion or about five per cent of total revenues.

Here, the divergence with Klein could not be more apparent. While the Alberta Advantage is partly premised on lower taxes generally compared to other provinces, it’s particularly rooted in its single rate personal income tax of 10 per cent, a Klein-era legacy.

Prentice proposes to undo this Alberta hallmark. Starting next year, Alberta will move to a three-rate system with income up to $100,000 taxed at the current 10 per cent rate, income between $100,000 and $250,000 at 10.5 per cent, and income over $250,000 at 11 per cent. The two higher rates will increase to 11.5 per cent and 12 per cent, respectively, in 2018, with the top rate falling to 11.5 per cent in 2019.
    ..."

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/arti...erta-advantage

Ralph Klein - Wikipedia

"Getty knew that the Tories faced a statutory general election in 1993. With polls showing the Liberals far ahead, Getty decided to retire from politics. Under former Edmonton mayor Laurence Decore, the Liberals had made major gains by criticizing the Progressive Conservatives' fiscal responsibility, the province's rapidly rising debt, and the government's involvement in the private sector which resulted in some companies defaulting on government loans. Klein campaigned for the leadership in part by making arguments similar to Decore's. He favoured a near-immediate balancing of the provincial budget and rapid debt repayment thereafter, and declared his government "out of the business of business". Klein was elected leader of the Alberta Progressive Conservative Party on December 5, 1992, and became the Premier of Alberta on December 14, 1992. "

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Klein

LOL, true enough!
    Yeah, they said out of debt in six years but they did not say which six it would be. I'm thinking with them at the helm it will be the sixth of never.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

LOL, true enough!
    Yeah, they said out of debt in six years but they did not say which six it would be. I'm thinking with them at the helm it will be the sixth of never.
    The opposition makes it sound like Alberta never had deficits until the NDP arrived. However, the PC's had a number of deficits under Premier Getty, 7 or so I think. Of course, there were 6 or 7 more later from Stelmach and Redford's also, so the NDP still has a long, long ways to go to beat the PC record. I wonder if anyone has pointed that interesting fact out to the current PC leader Kenney yet.

Provincial NDP inherited a 1 billion surplus. Fair enough a lot has happened in 2 years but seems they are heading into a record deficit. Most people would rather owe $25,000 on their home than $250,000 and in 5 years or so would like it to be less by paying some of it off and not increasing their Line of Credit while doing so.
    Like the PC they have a spending problem. Unfortunately the NDP's spending is for more pie in the sky reasons.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle25207696/
    Last edited by Gemini; 30-06-2017 at 06:57 PM.

I say let the government of the day impose an EXTREME austerity program.
    I mean like EXTREME. Ten times worse than ever.
    Give these conservatives their wet dream.
    It's heaven and hell!

Or stop funding pet projects with special interest groups, now that's a wet dream!!!!
    Honest to god, the NDP ruin every province they run( into the ground) look out BC!

At least conservatives have the ability to have wet dreams. The rest of the voting public, dry humps and an anti-climax.
    Last edited by Gemini; 30-06-2017 at 11:24 PM.

At least conservatives have the ability to have wet dreams. The rest of the voting public, dry humps and an anti-climax.
    Oh my god, I wasn't expecting that! Too funny. Happy Canada day, Gemini!

The system has become too inefficient and bloated . Cuts are coming ! Huge cuts !

^ let's have em YUGE cuts!
    It's heaven and hell!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Or stop funding pet projects with special interest groups, now that's a wet dream!!!!
    Honest to god, the NDP ruin every province they run( into the ground) look out BC!
    I've lived in BC (GVA) for many years and BC has swallowed this NDP pill before. They know what they're getting into.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

I've lived in BC (GVA) for many years and BC has swallowed this NDP pill before. They know what they're getting into.
    I know. We took our business out of BC when the NDP were in power. I saw Horgan's list..$$$$$$

Default Albertans disapprove of NDP's handling of Economy

No we are not!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Some are, just wait........

I can wait..you wait!

Re. the above graphic, there's no forgetting that the bulk of Albertans are still recovering from 40-odd years of Tory abuse. Of course, the brainwashing is so indelible in this forum's right wing fools that their damage is done. Despairing cases, really.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Re. the above graphic, there's no forgetting that the bulk of Albertans are still recovering from 40-odd years of Tory abuse. Of course, the brainwashing is so indelible in this forum's right wing fools that their damage is done. Despairing cases, really.
    I'm not a right wing fool, so don't call me that! This board is so nasty, just nasty ( right wing scum) etc etc and most of the super nasty comments aren't coming from the right! You guys sound like Trump and you don't like him, so why sound like him?

^ Ummm . . . Nowhere do I mention you, nor have I used the term "right wing scum". Chill babe.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    ^ Ummm . . . Nowhere do I mention you, nor have I used the term "right wing scum". Chill babe.
    Umm, I'm not your babe, babe!

Now you all know how we felt with Redfraud and her stellar approval rating as them 2 years or so went on.And the short memories make me cringe... but hey nothing like some quality hypocrisy!

Postmedia owns the majority of Canada's newspapers. Their president is a former conservative.
    All their news articles are pro-conservative.
    It's heaven and hell!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    Now you all know how we felt with Redfraud and her stellar approval rating as them 2 years or so went on.And the short memories make me cringe... but hey nothing like some quality hypocrisy!
    Redford was a red Tory. I sure didnt vote for her, so I have an idea how you felt. Quite frankly, like. Redford needed to, Notley needs to reign in the spending..so what hypocrisy?
    Last edited by H.L.; 11-07-2017 at 01:30 AM.

This board is so nasty, just nasty ( right wing scum) etc etc and most of the super nasty comments aren't coming from the right!
    It's a leftist tactic to argue. Basically it's the angle that all socialist/communist propaganda takes against dissent and free-thinking people. This is exactly how it works - if you hear somebody say something that goes against your agenda, shame them ("You racist!" "You liar!", etc.), then if that doesn't work you bully them (gather multiple people to shout things like "Racist! Liar!, etc.). This is also what the left loves about enforcing politically correct speech so much. The final stages are recruitment ("I'm going to report you for being _____"). The final stage is pity ("This person is bullying me! Please, somebody make them stop victimizing me!"). This is what happens in all communist and socialist societies.

Just watch this pattern arise in any of the political threads online (this forum's Trump threads have good examples, actually). When you know what to look for it's absolutely hilarious to watch. And that's why lefties don't get me worked up - I can see what they are trying to do. A free mind is a mind that can say "No".

This board is so nasty, just nasty ( right wing scum) etc etc and most of the super nasty comments aren't coming from the right!
    It's a leftist tactic to argue. Basically it's the angle that all socialist/communist propaganda takes against dissent and free-thinking people. This is exactly how it works - if you hear somebody say something that goes against your agenda, shame them ("You racist!" "You liar!", etc.), then if that doesn't work you bully them (gather multiple people to shout things like "Racist! Liar!, etc.). This is also what the left loves about enforcing politically correct speech so much. The final stages are recruitment ("I'm going to report you for being _____"). The final stage is pity ("This person is bullying me! Please, somebody make them stop victimizing me!"). This is what happens in all communist and socialist societies.

Just watch this pattern arise in any of the political threads online (this forum's Trump threads have good examples, actually). When you know what to look for it's absolutely hilarious to watch. And that's why lefties don't get me worked up - I can see what they are trying to do. A free mind is a mind that can say "No".
    ? Buildthe and AShet seem to have different political perspectives but I found that their language was was very similar.

I also find that people with opposing views here have a tendency to either editorialize other facts and news or try to elevate the 'credibility' of possible but not confirmed 'facts' or to grossly generalize events - when they choose. Then attack others doing the same.

? Buildthe and AShet seem to have different political perspectives but I found that their language was was very similar.
    True. And anyone can be guilty of doing those things I listed, but most liberals, centrists, and conservatives don't do it. The tactic (1-Shame, 2-Bully, 3-Recruit, and 4-Pity) is one that is deployed in an organized fashion particularly by the far-left in communist and socialist states. We have seen this sort of thing gain a lot of steam in the USA and Canada over the last 6 years or so, and it has changed the way people behave (look how much public shaming happens these days if somebody acts "inappropriately" to the far left).

However, these tactics take generations to take hold, because this "cultural Marxism" cannot change the way a person thinks. I believe this is why there was such a massive backlash against political correctness in the USA last year when somebody (Donald Trump) started calling it out in the open, and why I believe Trump wouldn't have won any other election in his lifetime. And judging by the way my kids and their teenage friends speak and act with each other (acting "rebellious" by saying politically-incorrect things their dorky teachers and lame Millennials wouldn't approve of), I do believe we will see a similar conservative backlash (politically and socially) in Alberta and in Canada in the next 4-5 years. If the far (hard) left keeps trying to control people this way, the pendulum will just swing back harder.

True. And anyone can be guilty of doing those things I listed, but most liberals, centrists, and conservatives don't do it. The tactic (1-Shame, 2-Bully, 3-Recruit, and 4-Pity) is one that is deployed in an organized fashion particularly by the far-left in communist and socialist states. We have seen this sort of thing gain a lot of steam in the USA and Canada over the last 6 years or so, and it has changed the way people behave (look how much public shaming happens these days if somebody acts "inappropriately" to the far left).

However, these tactics take generations to take hold, because this "cultural Marxism" cannot change the way a person thinks. I believe this is why there was such a massive backlash against political correctness in the USA last year when somebody (Donald Trump) started calling it out in the open, and why I believe Trump wouldn't have won any other election in his lifetime. And judging by the way my kids and their teenage friends speak and act with each other (acting "rebellious" by saying politically-incorrect things their dorky teachers and lame Millennials wouldn't approve of), I do believe we will see a similar conservative backlash (politically and socially) in Alberta and in Canada in the next 4-5 years. If the far (hard) left keeps trying to control people this way, the pendulum will just swing back harder.
    On shaming I still don't think it's just the so called left. The conservative / religious groups have long tried to impose social mores on their members and beyond. It still happens among the more fundamentally conservative groups (Christian, Jewish, Islamic, Hindu...). The most obvious tends to be any failure to adhere to expected clothing, beards, hair, etc but other religions engage in shaming in subtle non-public ways (less subject to backlash). They do it by dissuading inter-religious dating, marriages, indoctrination of children, or whatever.

In politics we saw Bill Clinton's behaviour repeatedly used as material to attack Hillary Clinton. Plus her counterattacks decades ago also came to the debate in very interesting ways, while Trumps marital issues were largely kept out of the propaganda wars. This seemed to be somewhat akin to attempted shaming by the Trump supporters.

As far as the youth, yes I'm getting it too - but also the "politically correct" Trump hatred we get in Canada. It's elementary school stuff* but it reflects emotional, thoughtless parroting of others', likely older ' others' ' opinions in our case. Having to tell my young daughter that she shouldn't say negative things about Trump for a number of reasons, and that the majority of Americans voted for him, because they felt he was the best person for the job...

* I've long planned to start a thread on trying to understand the people creating and writing children's media (cartoons, kids shows, altered kids shows as you can find on YouTube, etc) So very much of it seems to reflect impaired or damaged people with major chips on their shoulders. I don't profess to come from a "normal" upbringing nor think that the past ways were good for children but what's happening now seems to be introducing a whole lot of negative perspectives that children wouldn't naturally encounter and so may not understand or put in perspective. So is it possibly stemming from the writer's own childhood trauma, dysfunctional family backgrounds, broken families, family troubles, distorted influences, sense that children shouldn't be sheltered from, and in fact, should be exposed as early as possible to life's harsh realities, ...or what?
    Last edited by KC; 11-07-2017 at 12:20 PM.

And judging by the way my kids and their teenage friends speak and act with each other (acting "rebellious" by saying politically-incorrect things their dorky teachers and lame Millennials wouldn't approve of), I do believe we will see a similar conservative backlash (politically and socially) in Alberta and in Canada in the next 4-5 years.
    Or maybe the apple didn't fall from the tree & your kids along with their peer group (birds of a feather & all that) are as much of an ignorant, regressive, illiberal bigot as dear ol' dad. Seems a simpler & more succinct hypothesis than your kids being a vanguard of new cultural norms?

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    And judging by the way my kids and their teenage friends speak and act with each other (acting "rebellious" by saying politically-incorrect things their dorky teachers and lame Millennials wouldn't approve of), I do believe we will see a similar conservative backlash (politically and socially) in Alberta and in Canada in the next 4-5 years.
    Or maybe the apple didn't fall from the tree & your kids along with their peer group (birds of a feather & all that) are as much of an ignorant, regressive, illiberal bigot as dear ol' dad. Seems a simpler & more succinct hypothesis than your kids being a vanguard of new cultural norms?
    Explain where you see Mr. Oilers as such? I sense a repeated tendency to generalize perceived threats (Fairly commonly perceived threats among citizens) to some of our traditional cultural, legal or systematic practices. Eg a fear of sharia law, fear of oppressive and/or hostile religious beliefs being introduced to western cultures, etc. Plus some rather 'inate' or deeply ingrained bias that is common among all of us (social status is earned, education = capability, etc)
    Last edited by KC; 11-07-2017 at 12:33 PM.

Explain where you see Mr. Oilers as such?

Right here. You can winnow the wheat from the chaff yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Explain where you see Mr. Oilers as such?

And right on cue, there it was to prove my point.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

And right on cue, there it was to prove my point.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    I've never made any bones about finding you & your rhetoric ignorant, regressive & illiberal. Mostly because it is ignorant, regressive & illiberal. It wouldn't surprise me that any children you've raised would be cut from the same cloth & hang out with other kids who share the same bag of outmoded thought.

Sorry, noodle, I can't see what you posted because you've been placed on 'ignore' weeks ago.

But If I were to place a bet, I'd bet that in that post you are trying to publicly shame and insult me again (far-left socialist bullying tactic).

EDIT - I just peekad at it, and I was right again! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Sorry, noodle, I can't see what you posted because you've been placed on 'ignore' weeks ago.

But If I were to place a bet, I'd bet that in that post you are trying to publicly shame and insult me again (far-left socialist bullying tactic).

Had to make C2E a "safe space", eh snowflake?

Ignoring people & commenting publically about it was my schtick last year. Conservatives, always behind the times.

I find noodle to be as his handle sounds, noodle brain. He's on ignore, so I loathe seeing him quoted, he creeps me out, I imagine his family are like pod people.
    Last edited by H.L.; 11-07-2017 at 01:30 PM.

I find noodle to be as his handle sounds, noodle brain. He's on ignore, so I loathe seeing him quoted, he creeps he out, I imagine his family are like pod people.
    Another conservative adopting my tired & worn out routine from last year. Hilarious.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast