Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Premier Notley's Second Year

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    And judging by the way my kids and their teenage friends speak and act with each other (acting "rebellious" by saying politically-incorrect things their dorky teachers and lame Millennials wouldn't approve of), I do believe we will see a similar conservative backlash (politically and socially) in Alberta and in Canada in the next 4-5 years.
    Or maybe the apple didn't fall from the tree & your kids along with their peer group (birds of a feather & all that) are as much of an ignorant, regressive, illiberal bigot as dear ol' dad. Seems a simpler & more succinct hypothesis than your kids being a vanguard of new cultural norms?
    I find it interesting the right seems to veer wildly between bravado and the unstated panic that seems to underlie the unite the right movement. Alberta does not frequently or easily change governments. Perhaps they realize this and fear that the backlash to conservatism may be far from over.

I suppose their chances might be better if they unite, but they could also fail more spectacularly without a good leader and I don't think they have any really strong candidates now. Rona Ambrose might have been a good one for them, but I think she saw the recent sad history of Federal Conservatives going into Alberta politics and perhaps wisely decided there were better options.

^the only ones panicking right now are NDP supporters (i.e. government workers), most other Albertan's are just trying to hang in there until we can get a responsible government that can bring our spending per capita into line with places like BC that spend 25% less.

Yes, yes, we know how you think higher wages in Alberta are a good thing unless they're government wages because government is bad, unions are worse & therefore unionized government workers are literally the devil & should be punished for their greedy, selfish choice to work in the public sector.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^the only ones panicking right now are NDP supporters (i.e. government workers), most other Albertan's are just trying to hang in there until we can get a responsible government that can bring our spending per capita into line with places like BC that spend 25% less.
    I love it..:O)

^the only ones panicking right now are NDP supporters (i.e. government workers),
    I don't think anyone is panicking, actually. The people I work with who support the NDP seem to believe 100% that Notley will remain in power despite running against a brand-new united right-wing party next election.

I think it is far-fetched to believe that will happen, as voting for Notley's party was a protest vote of sorts. With most of the "stink" of the old PCs gone and a new united right, I predict we will see a Ralph Klein-esque landslide win for the new united conservative party next provincial election.

Yes, yes, we know how you think higher wages in Alberta are a good thing unless they're government wages because government is bad, unions are worse & therefore unionized government workers are literally the devil & should be punished for their greedy, selfish choice to work in the public sector.
    Despite our economic challenges, we still have higher than average private sector wages and higher levels of labour force participation than most of the rest of Canada. The wages in the private sector in Alberta influence public sector wages and have for years, so if you want government workers to work for BC wages then there would have to be further cuts in private sector wages too.

I suppose you can pay some people less to live in beautiful Vancouver or balmy Vancouver Island, but Red Deer or Fort McMurray in January is not so appealing to some.

^the only ones panicking right now are NDP supporters (i.e. government workers),
    I don't think anyone is panicking, actually. The people I work with who support the NDP seem to believe 100% that Notley will remain in power despite running against a brand-new united right-wing party next election.

I think it is far-fetched to believe that will happen, as voting for Notley's party was a protest vote of sorts. With most of the "stink" of the old PCs gone and a new united right, I predict we will see a Ralph Klein-esque landslide win for the new united conservative party next provincial election.
    The stink might be harder to get out than you think. Yes, you can weld together two old jalopies, but its not going to have a new car smell.

Ralph Klein is gone and he is not coming back. There is no Ralph II in the bunch, just a few wanna bees.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post

The stink might be harder to get out than you think. Yes, you can weld together two old jalopies, but its not going to have a new car smell.

Ralph Klein is gone and he is not coming back. There is no Ralph II in the bunch, just a few wanna bees.
    Goodness, Ralph again? I really like what Jason had to say, and it wasn't a rosy picture. The room was over flowing, eager people, eager to get rid of the NDP!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...sive-1.4202242

" On Thursday, Agriculture Minister Oneil Carlier is scheduled to milk a cow..."

Priceless.

Top_Dawg can't help but laugh at the symbolism here.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Oh they've had 2 years practice milking Albertans dry

Alberta’s economy is more than just back on its feet, it’s about to run faster than any other region in Canada.

Gross domestic product in the western province will rise by 2.9 percent this year, according to a Bloomberg survey of economists, up from an April estimate of 2.5 percent. That matches forecasts for neighboring British Columbia, and in 2018 Alberta comes out on top with a 2.4 percent expansion that would be tops among Canada’s 10 provinces.

It’s a huge comeback from Alberta’s last place finish in each of the last two years when oil prices plummeted below $50 a barrel, triggering layoffs and an investment freeze that shrank GDP by about 4 percent. The rebound is another sign Canada may retain its top spot among Group of Seven nations as economic growth diversifies away from consumer spending.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-growth-survey
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Wow, how fantastic, it will take us two years to roughly get back to an economy the size of what it was two years ago... And the debt will have grown by how much?????

I'm not happier about the debt than you are, but considering that the price of oil won't be even close to recovered in two years I don't think that's to bad.
    There can only be one.

Two years is pretty decent recovery given Alberta's reliance on that industry when oil crashed. Yes, the debt is terrible, but if you separate government from the economy and only look at the economy, that is a tremendous rebound.

I'd prefer to vote a moderate government in, which means the UCP. However, if their leader is Jason Kenney, they will not be getting my vote, and I'm certainly not the only moderate that feels that way. I'd rather not vote for someone that has a social IQ of 0.

We're rebounding and we're doing it without oil. It's almost as if going hard with diversification will pay off. Fancy that.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Oh they've had 2 years practice milking Albertans dry
    How so? When you say "Albertans", do you mean all Albertan's, some Albertans, or a few Albertans, or just two Albertans?

The following are the late 2015 or early 2016 changes:

According to the Calgary Herald article below, the Jan 2016 personal tax increases only applied to those making over $125,000. No change under $125,000 which is apparently 93% of the population.

Bolding is mine.

"...meaning about 93 per cent of Alberta residents will be unaffected, according to the government. ...

A single individual making $140,000 will pay an additional $300 under the new tax regime while an individual making $320,000 will have to cough up an extra $7,000, according to the province."

...The government’s existing carbon levy on large emitters, which will be superseded by the carbon tax next year, will increase from $15 a tonne to $20 in 2016. "

http://calgaryherald.com/news/politi...-for-new-years

"As expected, Alberta’s NDP government has notproceeded with the level of personal tax increases,

- income taxes for individuals with incomes exceeding $125,000, starting 2015
    - the general or manufacturing and processing corporate tax rate from 10% to 12%, on July 1, 2015

These changes were initially mentioned in Alberta’s Throne Speech delivered on June 15, 2015. Alberta’s Bill 2, An Act to Restore Fairness to Public Revenue, which received first reading on June 18, 2015, provides the details.

https://www.pwc.com/ca/en/services/t...ate-taxes.html

According to another Calgary Herald article (below) the following are some of the 2016 changes (roughly in effect for a year and a half not "two years" to date):

"...Starting Jan. 1, 2017, the small-business tax rate in Alberta will be cut from three per cent to two per cent — giving Alberta the second-lowest small-business tax rate in the country, tied with Saskatchewan. According to government estimates, the small-business tax cut will put an estimated $185 million back into the pockets of entrepreneurs in 2017-18, and $865 million over a five-year period.

The tax cut is also intended to offset the effect on small businesses of the province’s new carbon levy of $20 per tonne in 2017, and rising to $30 per tonne in 2018.

In addition to the tax cut, the government is rolling out a pair of tax credits aimed at spurring job creation and diversification in the province. The first, dubbed the Alberta Investor Tax Credit, will be worth $90 million over two years and will benefit investors who provide much-needed capital to small and medium-sized businesses in the province.

The second, called the Capital Investment Tax Credit and estimated to be worth $75 million over two years, will provide an incentive for the first-time acquisition of new or used property in eligible industries — including value-added agriculture, tourism infrastructure, culture, manufacturing and processing.

The two tax credits are part of a two-year, $250-million jobs, investment and diversification package that will replace the government’s cancelled Job Creation Tax Credit. That program — a key component of the NDP’s 2015 election platform and worth $178 million over two years — proposed to pay companies as much as $5,000 in tax credits for each new employee hired.

However, the government killed the plan after business groups said it was unlikely to spur any new hiring activity.

On Thursday, those same business groups praised the government for listening to their concerns and implementing a better program.

“That small-business tax cut will help small businesses create jobs, invest in equipment and pay down debt. It’s a really positive step,” said Amber Ruddy, spokesperson for the Canadian Federation of Independent Business. “It’s refreshing to see small business as a focus in a provincial budget. We haven’t seen as much of a focus in the past.”

Justin Smith, policy director for the Calgary Chamber of Commerce, said he is particularly enthusiastic about the investor tax credit.

“We’re confident this is the single greatest thing the government can do to spur capital flow, start to create jobs and improve our economy,” Smith said.

http://calgaryherald.com/business/lo...ax-from-3-to-2
    This year (2017) the carbon tax:

Alberta Budget 2016: 5 ways it could affect your pocketbook

1. Carbon tax – Money out of your pocket ...
    2. Carbon tax – Money into most of your pockets ...
    3. More money for low and middle-income parents ...
    4. Small business tax cut and investor tax credit ...
    5. The debt hangover ... "

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...llet-1.3536341

Other tax change impacts?
    Last edited by KC; 28-07-2017 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    We're rebounding and we're doing it without oil. It's almost as if going hard with diversification will pay off. Fancy that.
    Diversification? (we'll need some sort of information to believe that)

I'd say, try massive borrow and spent and a couple years for private business to calm down, restructure, face a new reality, re-hire employees, squeeze wages, etc.
    (What I, but no one else seems to do, is call the debt build as an attempt by the NDP to create a "soft landing".)

Wow, how fantastic, it will take us two years to roughly get back to an economy the size of what it was two years ago... And the debt will have grown by how much?????
    Its going to be larger than they are saying. We still have people out of work, hunting for all those green * cough* jobs I'd imagine

I think the NDP has done a somewhat better job in 2nd year and that they made some pretty serious rookie mistakes in the first year. For instance upsetting farmers in Alberta is never advised. Bill 6 smacked of a Party that was not ready to govern. As it is in Politics when there has been a flush of old blood the new blood takes awhile to get more prudent, even expedient. Such new tackles as changes to Patio requirements and the NDP looking at the pay scale of University heads is, albeit insignificant in total cost, represent examples where the NDP is better targeting popular unrest. Taking a run at the U of A pay scales would of course play popular with a majority of voters and basically all students and their families. These are convenient hot button issues which the NDP can just learn to hit until they get some steam and start erasing their fairly ugly first year. The previous Con govts have provided ample ripe hanging fruit that the NDP would do well to learn to target. I think they are finding some stride. The prudent and full bore attacks on Nathan Cooper are another.

But lastly one will ALWAYS remember the Wild Rose cited "Burning lake of fire" That kind of impression doesn't go away. Alternately the NDP making a political mistake through inexperience governing is something that can get rectified with experience. Having an abhorrent attitude and world view never gets rectified. The Wild Rose, er cough the UCP, has shown us that choosing Nathan Cooper.
    Last edited by Replacement; 28-07-2017 at 11:02 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Continued Contributor

Why are there no females in the UCP party?
    Lots of sausage
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    I think the NDP has done a somewhat better job in 2nd year and that they made some pretty serious rookie mistakes in the first year. For instance upsetting farmers in Alberta is never advised. Bill 6 smacked of a Party that was not ready to govern. As it is in Politics when there has been a flush of old blood the new blood takes awhile to get more prudent, even expedient. Such new tackles as changes to Patio requirements and the NDP looking at the pay scale of University heads is, albeit insignificant in total cost, represent examples where the NDP is better targeting popular unrest. Taking a run at the U of A pay scales would of course play popular with a majority of voters and basically all students and their families. These are convenient hot button issues which the NDP can just learn to hit until they get some steam and start erasing their fairly ugly first year. The previous Con govts have provided ample ripe hanging fruit that the NDP would do well to learn to target. I think they are finding some stride. The prudent and full bore attacks on Nathan Cooper are another.

But lastly one will ALWAYS remember the Wild Rose cited "Burning lake of fire" That kind of impression doesn't go away. Alternately the NDP making a political mistake through inexperience governing is something that can get rectified with experience. Having an abhorrent attitude and world view never gets rectified. The Wild Rose, er cough the UCP, has shown us that choosing Nathan Cooper.
    Upsetting farmers is never advised, because they never forget, and they haven't! Oh my, they haven't!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post

Upsetting farmers is never advised, because they never forget, and they haven't! Oh my, they haven't!!!!
    Yep, and as I said in the past its odd because Grant Notley would never have done this and strange that Rachel learned little, apparently, from her grass and family roots. With her background it is disappointing that mistake was made.
    That said this province needs some electoral revisiting and its ludicrous that rural votes proportionally are worth so much more than Urban votes. Per capita there are too many rural seats in this province by a factor of 2-3. The province is increasingly urban, with the vast majority of its residents being urban, but all the rural seats have remained. Its time to look at consolidating those to larger regions.

Rural Alberta shouldn't have as much influence and voting power as it does. We allow that at the risk that we become a microcosm of what the USA is, a flyover Province of urban views surrounded by flat earth beliefs. I'm being sarcastic but the perpetual Nathan Cooper type luddites that continue to spring from rural ridings lead me to question their votes and what they are voting for.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

They vote for what they want., and who they want.. Just like you and I do...( shrug)

They vote for what they want., and who they want.. Just like you and I do...( shrug)

If you don't discern why people consider Merica as a fly over nation you don't follow the Urban vs Rural dichotomy present in a lot of Western world politics. The type of breeding of insular hate and exclusivity is often borne in rural ridings and even in Alberta most of the unforgettable characters that are most hateful, that most exhibited prejudice were from some rural ridings like eckville.

Now this is not to say either that all Urban conglomerations are enlightened. For instance I feel Edmonton is more enlightened than Calgary. In Calgary they vote largely for what benefits them economically. Without much of a view of the importance of anything else. This phenomenon exists in the US as well. Edmonton voting tends to be much more fluid, flexible, non partisan, and in response to issues. Edmonton is the LEAST susceptible to pork barrel politics.

But anyway you missed the point about why a rural vote should be worth 3X as much as a respective urban vote in a democracy. That needs to be changed, pronto.
    Last edited by Replacement; 28-07-2017 at 01:06 PM.

C2E Posting Power

^^ The issue being that some of those views are over-represented with respect to the province as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by seamusmcduffs View Post
    ^^ The issue being that some of those views are over-represented with respect to the province as a whole.
    Exactly. Its the over representation of rural Alberta in seats, and that grants them inordinate voice, that is the primary, but not only issue. Important to note that the typical views and wants of Rural Alberta are also different and often at odds with the Capital City. Calgary, as an electorate being primarily self serving behave similarly to Rural Alberta by pursuing whats in it for my riding politics. To that end democracy being on sale.

http://abebc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2...Report_WEB.pdf

Report from the Electoral Boundaries Commission that's looking to redraw the boundaries. If the majority has its way, looks like rural folks will make due with 3 less ridings & those seats will be redistributed to Calgary, Calgary Metro & Edmonton. The minority opinion is to leave Edmonton & Calgary alone as even though we're underrepresented it'd be within the legally-OK +/- 25% margin.

C2E Posting Power

^Hmm yeah, definitely an exaggeration from Replacement. there's only 2 or 3 ridings that really stand out, and none are 2-3x the population, or even close to that much different.

If you don't discern why people consider Merica as a fly over nation you don't follow the Urban vs Rural dichotomy present in a lot of Western world politics. The type of breeding of insular hate and exclusivity is often borne in rural ridings and even in Alberta most of the unforgettable characters that are most hateful, that most exhibited prejudice were from some rural ridings like eckville.

Now this is not to say either that all Urban conglomerations are enlightened. For instance I feel Edmonton is more enlightened than Calgary. In Calgary they vote largely for what benefits them economically. Without much of a view of the importance of anything else. This phenomenon exists in the US as well. Edmonton voting tends to be much more fluid, flexible, non partisan, and in response to issues. Edmonton is the LEAST susceptible to pork barrel politics.

But anyway you missed the point about why a rural vote should be worth 3X as much as a respective urban vote in a democracy. That needs to be changed, pronto.
    Most of Rural Alberta voted PC last time, so how didnt they get back in again then?

Max is ~3.5x difference.

Populations now range from 28,858 in Lesser Slave Lake to 92,148 in Calgary-South East. An election held based on those constituencies would result in a vote cast in Lesser Slave Lake having 3.5 times the effect of one cast in Calgary-South East.
    (From the aforementioned linked report)

We are? Please remind me what our provincial unemployment rate was for June.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    7.4%, continuing the downward trend (or upward rebound, to use Chmilz' verbiage), down 1% since March & 1.6% since November.

http://economicdashboard.alberta.ca/Unemployment

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Plus, if you are no longer collecting EI, they dont count you

C2E SME

The UCP is misogynystic.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E SME

Also, Alberta's economy will soon be the fastest-growing economy in Canada:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/from+...461/story.html

C2E SME

Edmonton also has less representation than the rural constituencies.

Thanks to OIL!

Newfoundland and Labrador, another province tied to oil through offshore drilling, is now expected to grow 0.8 percent next year instead of the 0.1 percent contraction economists projected in April.

C2E SME

Our economy is gradually diversifying more.

Alberta now awaits the annual transfer payments from Newfoundland...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Our economy is gradually diversifying more.
    Really, how?

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

CONS don't read anything except Breitbart or Sinclair News and only watch FOX (very telling that in Canada the Sun network didn't generate enough viewers and revenue to keep afloat - sort of like the National Post now never publishing on Mondays....).. How would you expect them to know what's going on in the real world.

^Hmm yeah, definitely an exaggeration from Replacement. there's only 2 or 3 ridings that really stand out, and none are 2-3x the population, or even close to that much different.
    You're flat out wrong. All you have to do is look at the population per riding to know that. Look at the 2016 figures;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert...oral_districts

For instance Dunvegan at 25K, a Calgary riding over 79K. That's more than 3X. Those are the extreme cases but its commonplace for Rural ridings to be in the 30K range and for Urban ridings to be broaching TWICE that.

How can you think that is not SIGNIFICANT rural over representation in the Legislature?
    Last edited by Replacement; 28-07-2017 at 05:50 PM.

Just curious but has there ever been a NDP Government that took their Province out of the poor house to economic prosperity?

^ has conservative government? Just curious
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

C2E Posting Power

You're flat out wrong. All you have to do is look at the population per riding to know that. Look at the 2016 figures;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert...oral_districts

For instance Dunvegan at 25K, a Calgary riding over 79K. That's more than 3X. Those are the extreme cases but its commonplace for Rural ridings to be in the 30K range and for Urban ridings to be broaching TWICE that.

How can you think that is not SIGNIFICANT rural over representation in the Legislature?
    The majority of them seem to be wthin the 40-60K range, with a few outliers. Don't get me wrong, obviously there needs to be more consistency in the size, and a few rural ridings definitely have too much power, I just don't know if there's enough of them to completely change an election.

I just don't know if there's enough of them to completely change an election.
    It's enough of a difference to warrant a change from the status quo, hence the report recommending 3 seats be freed up in rural ridings through amalgamation & redistricting so they can be allocated to urban areas. So while it may not be enough to completely change an election, it's enough to pass the muster for unfair representation.

Sounds like the NDP, who know they don't win rural votes in Alberta, is trying to change the rules... There are reasons why seats aren't all the same size - its to ensure that there is broad representation across the entire province, not just all the decisions being made in Calgary and Edmonton for everyone.

Sounds like the NDP, who know they don't win rural votes in Alberta, is trying to change the rules... There are reasons why seats aren't all the same size - its to ensure that there is broad representation across the entire province, not just all the decisions being made in Calgary and Edmonton for everyone.
    Except the AEBC is an independent, non-partisan body & its mandate is extremely narrow/limited.

^^You make it sound as though Edmonton & Calgary together form a Monolithic Block. You know that's not the case; heck, you're proof of it yourself.

Suburban neighbourhood vote differently than City centres, Edmonton votes differently than Calgary, and people in all of those places vote differently than their neighbours.
    There can only be one.

They can change whatever they want. It won't help.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    ^^You make it sound as though Edmonton & Calgary together form a Monolithic Block. You know that's not the case; heck, you're proof of it yourself.

Suburban neighbourhood vote differently than City centres, Edmonton votes differently than Calgary, and people in all of those places vote differently than their neighbours.
    No, no, this is all a NDP plot to take away rural conservative ridings & give them to the well-known socialist breeding ground known as Metro Calgary.

Not just Calgary, Airdrie and Cochrane are full of leftist pinko commies too.
    There can only be one.

Representation by population? Never heard of it...
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

What a bit of CON claptrap. The opposite is true, that the pork barrel Cons, depended on vying for votes in Rural Alberta, and parts of Calgary (which often votes in block with rural Alberta) and allowed this proportional disparity while population in the province increasingly migrated to urban areas.

Its lol a minute that your spin is the opposite of what has occurred. The realignment is just rightly correcting overall representation. Which you cite as a plot...oh my

C2E Posting Power

I just don't know if there's enough of them to completely change an election.
    It's enough of a difference to warrant a change from the status quo, hence the report recommending 3 seats be freed up in rural ridings through amalgamation & redistricting so they can be allocated to urban areas. So while it may not be enough to completely change an election, it's enough to pass the muster for unfair representation.
    Fair. You and Replacement are right.

What a bit of CON claptrap. The opposite is true, that the pork barrel Cons, depended on vying for votes in Rural Alberta, and parts of Calgary (which often votes in block with rural Alberta) and allowed this proportional disparity while population in the province increasingly migrated to urban areas.

Its lol a minute that your spin is the opposite of what has occurred. The realignment is just rightly correcting overall representation. Which you cite as a plot...oh my
    Is changing 3 seats from rural to urban really balancing the unjust disparity or is it only making something a little less unjust?

Saskatchewan will vote in the NDP next term, after they boot out that useless brad wall.
    NDP already in BC
    Liberal PM

So if the UCP win in Alberta, they will be an island to themselves. None of their right wing agenda will make it through. The days of right wing conservative Knuckledragging Neanderthals is gone. Over. For at least a decade
    It's heaven and hell!

Brad Wall won't be voited out, he took over from the NDP. Don't expect Horgan to last very long, he's already shown one business the door
    Go UPC!!! Can't wait...

If Sask votes NDP(highly unlikely as they endured and suffered under them for too many years) and BC is NDP and Alberta votes in the UCP then companies will be flocking back to Alberta and we will be in a boom again.

^I think so, sadly all the capital is being invested south or the border right now, we need to bring that money back into Alberta if we want to sustain our current lifestyle without dipping endlessly into the credit cards. I like Wall - but his government has done some odd stuff (the PST changes they have made are a total mess, and are a cash grab from Alberta oil and gas service providers who travel across the border).

New main street poll out, says the UCP would win the next election with over 50%!
    Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    If Sask votes NDP(highly unlikely as they endured and suffered under them for too many years) and BC is NDP and Alberta votes in the UCP then companies will be flocking back to Alberta and we will be in a boom again.
    You have that right!

New main street poll out, says the UCP would win the next election with over 50%!
    Love it!
    Yup, 57% and haven't even elected a leader yet As expected, the left/socialist/government worker vote is splitting / bleeding between Liberals, Alberta Party and NDP.

Change from April 2017 (Among Decided & Leaning Voters);
    NDP 29% (+5), UCP 57% (NEW), Liberal 4% (-1), Alberta 9% (+4)

“Now we enter the Leadership contest between the frontrunners Jason Kenney, recently elected leader of the Progressive Conservatives and Brian Jean of the Wildrose. If we learned anything from the recent PC leadership contest, it is the divisive and combative nature of such contests can take a toll on a political brand. Jason Kenney who began the contest with a highly positive net favourability score ended the contest (which he won handily) with just a +9 net favourability score (41% favourable, 32% unfavourable).”

“The caution for the United Conservative Party leadership hopefuls is that a spirited contest can lead to increased excitement and support, but it can also have a negative effect on candidates. These numbers point to a majority government in the next election, but Rachel Notley and the NDP have time on their side. That combined with renewed strength in the economy in Alberta, means a unified Conservative Party cannot take anything for granted leading up to the 2019 election.”
    http://www.mainstreetresearch.ca/con...e-summer-love/

Change from April 2017 (Among Decided & Leaning Voters);
    NDP 29% (+5), UCP 57% (NEW), Liberal 4% (-1), Alberta 9% (+4)
    Looks like the UCP is less than the sum of its parts, since NDP & AP are both up more than Liberal is down. Means the extra 8 points of gain came from people fleeing the "united" right.

Yup, 57% and haven't even elected a leader yet As expected, the left/socialist/government worker vote is splitting / bleeding between Liberals, Alberta Party and NDP.
    I know, it will be even better with a leader..

Default New UCP party a relief for many Albertans

^^yup, if their support falls by about 17% (as around 40% is majority territory), and the NDP picks up the entire support of the Liberals and Alberta party, the NDP will be a shoe in... (lol).

^Especially if its Jean as opposed to Kenney I think.

In the May 2015 election, the NDP won 40.6 per cent of the popular vote. Meanwhile, the popular vote of the PCs and Wildrose equalled 52 per cent.

Premier Rachel Notley’s government has rung up enormous deficits — to the tune of $10.8 billion last year and a forecast $10.3 billion for 2017/18 — and has created much uncertainty in the oilpatch with her policies, including a carbon tax and new corporate taxes. Saskatchewan is reaping the benefits.

The United Conservative Party is therefore not just a significant accomplishment for the two parties, but an indication that a more business-focused government and some fiscal restraint are legitimate possibilities come the 2019 provincial election.
    http://calgaryherald.com/opinion/edi...many-albertans
    Last edited by moahunter; 01-08-2017 at 09:01 AM.

1. It was a Postmedia poll, so it'll have a conservative slant
    2. It's nearly two years until election time, so this means nothing
    3. Constituencies are being mildly redrawn, which will alter the poll results by a couple points
    4. Even if the polls stay strong for UCP doesn't mean anything, as the UK/Theresa May vote proves

Maybe the UCP will win. Maybe they won't. A lot is going to happen in a couple years.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Yeah, it's clear that this is yet another Postmedia-funded Mainstreet gongshow poll, spun to promote their client's bent.

I guess "New conservative party loses 12% of base immediately after merger" doesn't have nearly the same zing.

It's 57% of decided voters, the same poll showed 27% undecided. A lot can happen in two years. I think the UCP can pull this off, but they're going to have to be smart about it. They've already made a poor choice for an interim leader.

Whoever wins this leadership race has their work cut out for them. Trying to keep this coalition together is going to be like herding cats. If the economy is in decent shape in 2019, the NDP might not look so bad to swing voters and Red Tories. They may be willing to give the Dippers another term.

Default Math to sober up a socialist

They are quite the numbers, enough to sober up a socialist.

United Conservatives are ahead by wide margins among women, men and every age group.

In battleground Calgary, where everyone figures the political war will be won or lost in 2019, the United Conservatives are up 18 percentage points on the NDP, 50% to 32%.

In Edmonton, the NDP hold on to an eight-point lead.

Oh yes, the government town.

The rest of Alberta? It’s a bloodbath.
    http://www.edmontonsun.com/2017/07/3...as-a-done-deal

Conservatives are polling lower than they did in April but somehow it's all doom & gloom for everyone else, years before an election? Everything is sunny & ship-shape in conservative land, except for those pesky centrists organizing with the AP. Oh, and those nutty super-righties trying to form Wildrose 2.0. Also, please ignore the regressive choice for interim leader, because he's temporary & "getting off on the right foot" is just lip service.

Other than the lower polls, the fractures in the façade before the paint has a chance to dry & obvious missteps right outta the gate, everything is on the way up!

Quote Originally Posted by Cumberland View Post
    It's 57% of decided voters, the same poll showed 27% undecided. A lot can happen in two years. I think the UCP can pull this off, but they're going to have to be smart about it. They've already made a poor choice for an interim leader.

Whoever wins this leadership race has their work cut out for them. Trying to keep this coalition together is going to be like herding cats. If the economy is in decent shape in 2019, the NDP might not look so bad to swing voters and Red Tories. They may be willing to give the Dippers another term.
    This is the key point here. 27% undecided. With the UCP being largely an unknown, and people taking a wait and see attitude but the appointment of Nathan Cooper as interim leader has probably set the new party in motion. Would be harder to capture Center of spectrum votes with this party. People just assume you can add Con and Wild Rose votes together in illustration of how this new party will do. It seldom works out like that. Actually I'm thinkin there will be more burning lake of fire screw ups over the next couple of years.

Its unfathomable that the party would pick Nathan Cooper. What were they thinking?

United Conservatives are ahead by wide margins among women, men and every age group.

In battleground Calgary, where everyone figures the political war will be won or lost in 2019, the United Conservatives are up 18 percentage points on the NDP, 50% to 32%.

The bloodbath was the last election. With Calgary and rural Alberta still wondering what happened and shocked ever since. Its amazing that Cons have all this confidence when the unthinkable already occurred. That would lead any sensible person to believe that anything is possible, and plausible.

This is the key point here. 27% undecided. With the UCP being largely an unknown, and people taking a wait and see attitude but the appointment of Nathan Cooper as interim leader has probably set the new party in motion. Would be harder to capture Center of spectrum votes with this party. People just assume you can add Con and Wild Rose votes together in illustration of how this new party will do. It seldom works out like that. Actually I'm thinkin there will be more burning lake of fire screw ups over the next couple of years.

Its unfathomable that the party would pick Nathan Cooper. What were they thinking?
    Oh for gods same, look who the feds had for an interim leader, that awful Tremblay woman. Nathan ISN'T the leader, he's an interim leader. Why does that even matter to a dipper like you?

Some of Edmonton still wants the NDP, cushy safe government jobs, the rest of us want them out! three cheers!

^The NDP are going to have to somehow win a ton of votes in Calgary if they are to have any chance, that's looking increasingly unlikely as there is no hated party to remove (which the PC's were after being taken over by socialist Redford). Unlike Edmonton which is filled with government workers benefiting by the massive public spend ramp up, Calgary has been decimated by the NDP's policies.

Which NDP policies decimated Calgary?

They hid the biggest tax hike in Alberta history from the voters in the last election. Before they accuse a brand new party of having a hidden agenda maybe they could apologize for lying to Albertans.”

Fact!

^^the uncertainty created by royalty review (which proved pointless), personal tax increases, carbon tax, and just a general anti-business attitude / needless bureaucratic red-tape / massive deficits (which is a harbinger of future tax rises), which has driven business investment south of the border.

^The NDP are going to have to somehow win a ton of votes in Calgary if they are to have any chance, that's looking increasingly unlikely as there is no hated party to remove (which the PC's were after being taken over by socialist Redford). Unlike Edmonton which is filled with government workers benefiting by the massive public spend ramp up, Calgary has been decimated by the NDP's policies.
    Blame it all on Socialism, even if it was the Cons in power. Oh my lord. Keep it coming, I could use the laughs.

In 2016, Alberta's per capita investment spending was $14,606, the second highest spending of all provinces behind Newfoundland and Labrador, and more than two times the Canadian average of $6,579 per capita.

In 2017, Alberta investment is forecast to drop slightly by 1.9% from 2016 to $61 billion (based on investment intentions for 2017). This decline is again the result of lower oil and gas prices affecting large projects in the oil sands, which is expected to result in a 27.4% decline in investment to $12 billion, while conventional oil is expected to increase investment by 63.4% to $13.2 billion. Construction spending is expected to increase 1.1% and spending on machinery and equipment to drop 10.4%. The strongest growing sectors in 2017 are expected to be conventional oil and gas (up 63.4%), mining (up 33.4%), utilities (up 25.3%), forest products (up 50.6%), professional, scientific and technical services (up 16.5%), and accommodation and food services (up 9.6%). Large declines are expected for oil sands (down 27.4%), petroleum and coal products (down 32.1%), real estate, rental and leasing (down 23.1%) and educational services (down 21.0%).
    Damn those NDP & their control over global oil prices, keeping us only double the average & in second place nation-wide for investment per capita! DIIIIPPPPPPPERRRRRRSSSSS!!!!!!

http://economicdashboard.alberta.ca/Investment

^not nearly enough to pay for a per capita government spend of double what BC taxpayers have to fund - we are already in massive deficit with that investment spend - but as your article points out, its dropping.

The choice of interim leader showed a lack of competency among the caucus. If they want to attract voters who put the NDP in power last election, then they need to do their homework, and avoid these screw-ups. The interim leader should have been a moderate, capable of keeping things on an even keel, while the leadership candidates duke it out. The Leg isn't even in session until October, why wouldn't they just pick someone without the baggage. It was a strategic blunder, and they'll have to learn from it.

^the interim leader is meaningless - everyone knows it will be Kenney or Jean in 8 months time (unless some compromise candidate sneaks in, which is unlikely).
    Last edited by moahunter; 01-08-2017 at 10:54 AM.

They hid the biggest tax hike in Alberta history from the voters in the last election. Before they accuse a brand new party of having a hidden agenda maybe they could apologize for lying to Albertans.”

Fact!

Postmedia, Sun, biased commentary. "The Govt town" lol, that's supposed to be a shot at the red "socialists" in the middle of Alberta.

So much illogic in the commentary. But one would think Kenney might want to stay clear of mentioning that the NDP are in power and all about buying votes. Irony, Ralph Klein cons anybody? One would think the last party to want to lob that kind of comment would be one that's Con and with that background in Alberta.

I'm not quite getting the part about lying to Albertans either. If that's Kenneys gotcha moment its kind of sad. Onto the Trump train they go..

Oh, this melodrama;

“Thousands of left-wing, special-interest activists will pour into Alberta in the next two years desperately trying to re-elect this government."

Maybe Marx, Lenin and Trotsky will come riding in on a steam train locomotive. "Socialists" of the world unite and all that..

"They lost the people....their agenda is to survive" Another phrase one might think would be avoided given the last election result. I mean why go there as an argument when you can say anything else that couldn't so easily be turned around on you?
    Last edited by Replacement; 01-08-2017 at 11:02 AM.

^^^

Nah, Top_Dawg doesn't buy that.

NDs were voted in because of a massive protest vote.

Nobody voted for the NDs.

Everyone voted to punish the PCs for all the excesses, entitlement, condescension and baggage from granny's tenure.

And ol' Jimbo couldn't make all the baggage go away.

In fact he created more by getting the Wildrosers to cross the floor, by calling a snap election, and by insulting voters during the campaign.

It's not as if Albertans are in any way aligned with the ND government except for a relative small handful in the capital region.

It has been that way since the election and continues to be that way now. And that's all this poll confirms.

^not nearly enough to pay for a per capita government spend of double what BC taxpayers have to fund
    It's 25% higher, not 100% higher.

Overall, Alberta spends 25 per cent more, per person, than B.C but the discrepancy varies by government function.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ison-1.3996276

- we are already in massive deficit with that investment spend - but as your article points out, its dropping.
    Dropping due to factors outside the government's control. You forgot to mention that point, despite me bolding it to aid your poor reading comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    And that's all this poll confirms.
    It confirms that the newly combined right wing is less popular than its disparate parts.

It's not as if Albertans are in any way aligned with the ND government except for a relative small handful in the capital region.

It has been that way since the election and continues to be that way now. And that's all this poll confirms.
    Exactly - there are a bunch of government workers who have done very nicely thanks to the NDP, and there are a bunch of leftwingers who for the first time in their lives get to see the economic devestation that a left wing government causes. Most Albertan's will be very happy to see the government sector paired down like the private sector has been forced into, and to see business investment grow back to pre-NDP levels.

The choice of interim leader showed a lack of competency among the caucus. If they want to attract voters who put the NDP in power last election, then they need to do their homework, and avoid these screw-ups. The interim leader should have been a moderate, capable of keeping things on an even keel, while the leadership candidates duke it out. The Leg isn't even in session until October, why wouldn't they just pick someone without the baggage. It was a strategic blunder, and they'll have to learn from it.
    Yep. The choice of Nathan Cooper as interim leader was certainly not a moderate, which an interim leader would typically be, and means that the UCO either;

1) They did not do proper due diligence and were not fully aware of Nathan Coopers history, activism, and what he has been politically involved with.

2) They did know the above and appointed him as a message and that they are onside with his established views.

I don't know which is worst. 1 is incompetent, 2 is more knuckle dragging.

^^^

Everyone voted to punish the PCs for all the excesses, entitlement, condescension and baggage from granny's tenure.

In fact he created more by getting the Wildrosers to cross the floor, by calling a snap election, and by insulting voters during the campaign.

I don't think its quite as clear as that. NDP still getting 32% in polling in Calgary. That's interesting in itself. In anycase ANY new party would be having to build connections and consensus. The old Socreds probably thought similarly when that uppity Lougheed was getting in the way of manifest destiny..

Its interesting that you cite that floor crossing of wildrosers made it worse for the Cons. I tend to agree. But wouldn't merging with them be more of a sin to real conservatives. Not the wing nut faction? The Wild Rose have rarely elevated beyond self mockery. The Cons are now unified with these fools. its going to be hard to flush that stink away when it settles in again. I'm at 50/50 if the party doesn't splinter one more time before the next election or if they lose some more to the Alberta party.

Change is usually more of a constant than it has been in Alberta. But its hard to argue against that left wing change has been sweeping the nation. Federally, provincially.
    Last edited by Replacement; 01-08-2017 at 11:15 AM.

Exactly - there are a bunch of government workers who have done very nicely thanks to the NDP, and there are a bunch of leftwingers who for the first time in their lives get to see the economic devestation that a left wing government causes.

Such "devestation"!

Most Albertan's will be very happy to see the government sector paired down like the private sector has been forced into, and to see business investment grow back to pre-NDP levels.
    Except the over-half-million Albertans employed in the public sector, healthcare & education fields. But you can't make a pro-big-business omelette without breaking a half-million individual eggs, amirite? Screw those folks, they shoulda gone into the private sector if they wanted to make a competitive wage.

Exactly - there are a bunch of government workers who have done very nicely thanks to the NDP, .
    Too much I guess to request a citation on this.

Would that view be consistent with the NDP wanting a review on University head honcho pay scales? The reality is that was a populist move by the NDP to look at that and almost anybody would agree that such luminaries as Samarasekara were grossly overpaid (and still getting paid and not even residing in Alberta) looking at cutting pay scales like that is the opposite of what you are attempting to claim.

^^^

Absolutely, and those same protest voters are hard to find. They didnt want them to have a majority..when is the next carbon tax increase????

I'm very happy, the dippers OTOH sound a tad worried, I wonder why( again)...

Except they do. I mean, they forgot that until it became a NDP platform issue & therefore evil, godless socialism borne on the backs of good hardworking Albertans just trying to get by that workers' rights/Bill 6 was something Brian Jean campaigned on during the WRP leadership race....

"I am a firm believer in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the Constitution including Alberta's charter," Jean replied. "I do believe that you can't have any rights unless all people are covered by those rights. I think all people, all Albertans, need to be protected," he added.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...test-1.3358283

Go NDP!
    It's heaven and hell!

I understand there is a new party in town, known as the Alberta Advantage Party, a.k.a. wild rose 2.0
    It's heaven and hell!

I heard another poll , Notley is below 22%..yahooo!!!

^ But a lot can happen over the next 2 years. Bill 6 is going to be Notley's downfall.

IMO

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast