Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Youtube for beginners courses/trainng in Edmonton?

  1. #1

    Default Youtube for beginners courses/trainng in Edmonton?

    Evening
    I am looking for any advice on courses or other training for a beginner on youtube.

    Setup, content, formatting and similar.

    Been working with the online youtube "help" and "tutorials" and finding it very time consuming and somewhat frustrating.

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Default

    Something like this?
    https://www.norquest.ca/cal/current/...trategies.aspx

    Though it sounds like you want a basic "how to make a video" course.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

  3. #3

    Default

    These are'nt going to be sex tapes are they?
    Just kidding.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    These are'nt going to be sex tapes are they?
    Just kidding.
    Not a chance Gemini, fear, common sense and good taste ensure I won't be doing those types of video. lol

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Something like this?
    https://www.norquest.ca/cal/current/...trategies.aspx

    Though it sounds like you want a basic "how to make a video" course.
    Thanks Spudly

    No the marketing/ use strategy are not the issue nor is the creation of the video (have about 60 episodes done).

    It is the set up and layout systems of youtube driving me nuts.

    So I guess you would say it is channel usage and operation as opposed to creation or end use.

    TH

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    These are'nt going to be sex tapes are they?
    Just kidding.
    Not a chance Gemini, fear, common sense and good taste ensure I won't be doing those types of video. lol
    Spot on.
    Anyway, I did once post a youtube video and found it pretty easy. Now, it was not quite a work of art and I'm not expecting a Oscar for it. It was just a concert I had went too.
    Now, I suppose the more professional or polished you want it to be the harder it will be for you to get it right. Could be also that you are looking for perfection and it might not be possible. If I remember correctly youtube lets you edit and do take outs. If you play back after you have edited and things are still stilted it could be the way it's being filmed. If you or some one else is doing the filming try to do it as seamlessly as possible in small sections. If you film it in small sections and make a mistake you will not have to go all the way back to the beginning and start all over. You will just have to re-make the section you flubbed on. Try to make the breaks natural. If you finish a segment take a break then start back in the same spot or where the next film sequence is supposed to be. Now I have used youtube to learn how to do different crafts and while the majority of the videos were just filmed by non-professionals the majority were filmed well enough that I could follow what they were doing. If that is what you are aiming for I am sure with practice you will get a decent outcome.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

  7. #7
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012
    Posts
    3,158

    Default

    The Edmonton Public Library offers classes through Lynda.com for free. To get a sense of what is offered you can check:

    https://www.lynda.com/search?q=youtube

    I've taken their courses in other fields and find them excellent. My boss and her henchperson used Lynda to learn Captivate and Moodle and progressed enough to design several courses.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    These are'nt going to be sex tapes are they?
    Just kidding.
    Not a chance Gemini, fear, common sense and good taste ensure I won't be doing those types of video. lol
    Spot on.
    Anyway, I did once post a youtube video and found it pretty easy. Now, it was not quite a work of art and I'm not expecting a Oscar for it. It was just a concert I had went too.
    Now, I suppose the more professional or polished you want it to be the harder it will be for you to get it right. Could be also that you are looking for perfection and it might not be possible. If I remember correctly youtube lets you edit and do take outs. If you play back after you have edited and things are still stilted it could be the way it's being filmed. If you or some one else is doing the filming try to do it as seamlessly as possible in small sections. If you film it in small sections and make a mistake you will not have to go all the way back to the beginning and start all over. You will just have to re-make the section you flubbed on. Try to make the breaks natural. If you finish a segment take a break then start back in the same spot or where the next film sequence is supposed to be. Now I have used youtube to learn how to do different crafts and while the majority of the videos were just filmed by non-professionals the majority were filmed well enough that I could follow what they were doing. If that is what you are aiming for I am sure with practice you will get a decent outcome.
    Thanks Gemini appreciate it.

    That said you're talking the video/editing side. My problem is with things like youtube channel layout/set up, getting things on the channel in the order I need both within a playlist and in sections. Youtube does have a help section, but it's very counter intuitive and (I find) difficult to use and clunky.

    At this point I think a course would help a lot.

    TH

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EveB View Post
    The Edmonton Public Library offers classes through Lynda.com for free. To get a sense of what is offered you can check:

    https://www.lynda.com/search?q=youtube

    I've taken their courses in other fields and find them excellent. My boss and her henchperson used Lynda to learn Captivate and Moodle and progressed enough to design several courses.
    Bingo .... that's what I was looking for. Youtube essentials on Lynda.com.

    Thanks EveB HUGE help

    TH

  10. #10

    Default

    If you are making a few different videos I think there is an area where you can put 'See also other videos made by this contributor' or something on those lines. As for keeping them in order, well not sure how that is done. Hope you can find a course that suits.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

  11. #11

    Default

    Thanks Gemini and all

  12. #12

    Default

    EPL saves the day again!!
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EveB View Post
    The Edmonton Public Library offers classes through Lynda.com for free. To get a sense of what is offered you can check:

    https://www.lynda.com/search?q=youtube

    I've taken their courses in other fields and find them excellent. My boss and her henchperson used Lynda to learn Captivate and Moodle and progressed enough to design several courses.
    Just wanted to say thanks once more to EveB and all the rest.

    I wound up going through EPL's system and using the Lynda.com tutorials ... highly recommended.

    And my youtube test site is now up .... yaaaaaaa!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •