Thread: Best gluten-free cakes/cupcakes/desserts

Default Best gluten-free cakes/cupcakes/desserts

I need to pick up a gluten-free birthday cake/cupcakes/goodies for someone. What's the tastiest option I can buy in Edmonton? Price isn't really an issue.

Bonus points for lemon flavour...

I have never (knowingly) tasted cakes/pastries gluten free as I am not allergic or sensitive to gluten products. Maybe one day I will buy something gluten free just to see what it tastes like. Anyway, got me looking at some sites and I came across this one. No personal reviews from me but hopefully it is of some help to you.
    Who know, they might have lemon cake or make one to order.

https://www.yelp.ca/search?find_desc...Edmonton%2C+AB
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

I'm Celiac. The Yelp list of bakeries, while providing Some Gluten Free establishments in the list, are in most cases bakeries that use gluten in their establishments thereby opening up the possibility of cross contamination that a lot of Celiacs are effected by.

Would be helpful to know if the BD person is Celiac or just prefers gluten free. It would not be advisable to buy a Gluten Free product from a regular bakery.

In anycase Kinnikinnick is exclusively a gluten free bakery. There are others.

As far as taste the gluten free products often taste better as gluten free flours typically add to the flavors, even sweetness of the baked products. Frankly a lot of gluten free baked products are delicious and thus for some Celiacs that's a mixed blessing calorie wise.
    Last edited by Replacement; 31-01-2017 at 11:52 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    I'm Celiac. The Yelp list of bakeries, while providing Some Gluten Free establishments in the list, are in most cases bakeries that use gluten in their establishments thereby opening up the possibility of cross contamination that a lot of Celiacs are effected by.

Would be helpful to know if the BD person is Celiac or just prefers gluten free. It would not be advisable to buy a Gluten Free product from a regular bakery.

In anycase Kinnikinnick is exclusively a gluten free bakery. There are others.

As far as taste the gluten free products often taste better as gluten free flours typically add to the flavors, even sweetness of the baked products. Frankly a lot of gluten free baked products are delicious and thus for some Celiacs that's a mixed blessing calorie wise.
    Is there typically added sugar? I found that some of the products seem sweet.

^There is and I wish the respective manufacturers would realize how much sweetness already comes from such flours as Tapioca, corn, etc. I agree the products seem sweet but a lot of people like that. In general I find too much sugar used in any processed food product.

In anycase its easy enough to make gluten free baked goods from scratch. I prefer that route myself.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"