Thread: FC Edmonton 2017 Season

C2E Continued Contributor

Default FC Edmonton 2017 Season

Schedule is out today! No info yet on pre-season games (they'll all be away games anyway... bcuz winter...)

http://www.fcedmonton.com/schedule#tabs-6

Lots of Friday and Saturday evening games this year apparently...which is awesome. Should help attract bigger crowds, I think.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

It'll be great to have a recovery day before having to go back to work, that's for sure

stoked about real weekend games party time games. also 6 games vs san francisco and they're stacking their side.

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoForMayor View Post
    Lots of Friday and Saturday evening games this year apparently...which is awesome. Should help attract bigger crowds, I think.
    please let there be tailgating. please let there be tailgating. or some sort of pre-game parties/beergarden.

Quote Originally Posted by DTrobotnik View Post
    please let there be tailgating. please let there be tailgating. or some sort of pre-game parties/beergarden.
    The Edmonton Supporters Group used to tailgate but there was pretty poor turn out so they started doing the match day bus from the Pint DT. $5 got you a pint and a bus ride to a from the game. Not sure if that is going to be in play or not this season.

Season tickets are selling fast, from $11 a match that's a screaming good deal, plus you get the 2017 3rd jersey included. Check it out: http://www.fcedmonton.com/claimyourthrone/

yep $20 get you a tic in supporters section a ride to and from and a beer at the pint. you can just get the beer and ride if you have your own tix.

i expect away game viewing parties are at the tavern on whyte again

FC Edmonton is acquiring the old American Apparel location on Whyte Ave for a new fan shop! This is huge news for the club in terms of visibility and presence in the city.

In other news, the Eddies are in Manchester playing friendlies for pre-season, season starts in 2 weeks!

Wow! Nice move by the Eddies (on both fronts). I moved my season tickets closer to the middle of the field, so I'm ready to go!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Isn't that going to be a pricey bit of real estate and such a big space for a sports team that most of Edmonton doesn't even know exists?
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

I'd rather C2E than work!

^ Speculate to accumulate and all that. Hope it works out for them.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Isn't that going to be a pricey bit of real estate and such a big space for a sports team that most of Edmonton doesn't even know exists?

I think maybe you just answered your own question

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post

I think maybe you just answered your own question
    I wasn't going to presume "Yes."
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

They're calling it a pop up shop, so it may only be a short lease. What better way to get more people in Edmonton to find out about it then a store on Whyte? Very good PR move in my opinion. Also shows that the Fath's are still fully committed to the team and to the city.

Also, watch their social media in the next 45 minutes they'll be revealing their new kits!

FC Edmonton is throwing a North American Soccer League (NASL) kick-off Block Party
    at its Whyte Avenue Fan Shop on Sunday, April 2... 1:00 - 4:00 p.m.
    Eddies launch their 2017 campaign in Florida at 2:00 p.m against Jacksonville Armada FC

http://www.fcedmonton.com/news/2017/...or-nasl-opener

Never been to an FC Edmonton match? Doesn't get much easier and cheaper than this!

These chicanos sure know how to liven up a soccer game.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2017/06/2...an-teams-brawl

Top_Dawg would like to see this encouraged during FC Edmonton games.

I'd like to see a goal scored as encouragement.

The Fans have answered the call this year and the attendance has been good to see the worst club in the league, one that can't score to save its life, and now have simply given up. Afaik the team has now gone several games without scoring a goal.

Its hard to watch a club that can't score.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Alright, let's keep the fun rolling this summer. Just got myself and my wife a pair of tickets for this Saturday's game against the NY Cosmos. Looking forward to watching some footy and having a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    I'd like to see a goal scored as encouragement.
    Got your wish on Friday, 2 goals in a come from behind victory in front of a pretty decent crowd (around 3500).

Saturdays game against the Cosmos is their Canada 150 celebration and there are some special things planned for the game.

^just curious as they said it was packed. Is 3500 the capacity or can a person get tickets at the gate?

Nice to see they are getting better crowds. It does seem like there must be more Soccer fans willing to go on the Northside then when the club was initially at Foote Field.

I did read about the game. Not sure how tongue and cheek Miller was about if the team hadn't scored he felt like running away. It has to have been a very trying and frustrating season. I hear the team is getting the gears from officiating regularly as well.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Officially the capacity of Clarke is 5,000 in order to meet League requirements, however the actaull capacity is more like 4,500, and even then the metal bleachers on the south end are usually "forgotten" because they are so terrible. When they refer to it as being packed they are meaning Big Blue was pack, which is was, and seating capacity is about 4,000 at that point.

Part of the reason for increased attendance is a far better relationship with minor soccer and EMSA thanks to GM Jay Ball. The soccer fans have always been here but Jay seems to be able to bring them out.

Officiating has indeed been very very poor, but when the team can't score over and over again, squandering beautiful chances multiple times a game, you have to look at you're own personnel before blaming someone else.

^How is this guy so informed anyways? I guess Vancouver is the new place to get insider information for FC Edmonton

There's actually a pretty decent contingent of Eddie's fans here. I try my best to keep up in all the news and rumours, and i know a couple guys that are close to management.

I was at the game yesterday against the New York Cosmos. The tickets were sold out so there were a lot of people. This being my first time at the Clarke Stadium I had to explore everything and learn my way around the facility. There were 2 concession stands right at the entrance and a couple of "drinks only" vendors once you get inside. There was also a BeaverTails pastry. It was a hot day, probably around 30 degrees so the lineups quickly formed and you had to put in time in order to get food. It was tough but I managed to get a couple of beers from those "drinks only" vendors and that was it. As for the stadium itself, I'd say the people that had the best time were the ones sitting in the A,B,C or D sections. The shade hit them fast and they were right beside the vendors. Meanwhile someone sitting on the Big Blue had to walk all the way around the stadium in order to grab a drink or some food. It's unfortunate but everything felt cramped and the general feeling is that you're watching a high school football game from the aluminium bleachers.

Hopefully our city rallies behind this team and we get a descent facility, some renovations to the current one or even a move over to something like the Re/Max Field or the Commonwealth. The fans have certainly answered the call this season. I know I will definitely go to another game or two assuming I can get some seats in the A,B,C or D sections or if the weather permits. Boiling on top of the Big Blue yesterday in the +30 degrees weather was an experience on it's own hehe. Cheers

So if people showed up yesterday no tickets were available? That's crazy. Bad enough to have to see a match in that deplorable facility (which isn't really a facility as much as a temporary bleacher setup.

Its worse if you show up there and its actually sold out. Given that attendance now seems able to carry to say 5K or more I wonder if it makes sense to play the occasional game at Commonwealth. Perhaps do what they did before and have some international clubs out. Have an FC game and a friendly game between international sides played at Commonwealth as a double header. That would attract say 20K people.

South American club teams have particularly liked playing here due to the good treatment and facilities we have.

The city has stated that they won't help out with anything until FCEd proves they can sell out consistently for a couple seasons. Hopefully we're on track for that now.

As for playing in Commonwealth, I'd rather go to a cramped 5,000 seat facility over a 90% empty 50,000 seat stadium. Even when you have 20,000 in CWS it feels so empty and quiet...

Everybody is different. I've had fantastic times at games with as little as 12K people out to see a friendly match at Commonwealth. Albeit usually such things have drawn 20k or more. Seen teams like Everton, LA Galaxy with Beckham, etc.

Theres a whole bunch of people that would attend if it were something other than FCEdmonton, a fairly hopeless squad that can't score and playing a league where the quality of play just isn't all that much.

Saw 51K for a Friendly between Brazil and Canada. That was on a Canada day. I miss things like that. Even FC Edmonton in it infancy was bringing club sides in here to help create interest. They have completely stopped doing that. Now all we have is NASL brand here.

It is interesting that in another time the city went full bore chasing baseball and building a specific stadium for that sport. WAy more people play soccer here than baseball. Tend to think there are a lot more soccer fans as well. Especially considering Edmonton is an international ethnic community a ton of people here don't even know what baseball is.

So anyway we have Commonwealth sitting empty almost every night and with artificial turf that doesn't get harmed much by use. We have the baseball park which seats 12 K with a Prospects baseball club drawing 2k, and we have the COE nailing Soccer fans here expecting years of 5K attendance in a deplorable facility watching a league that is several rungs inferior to any soccer people are accustomed to watching on Telly. When I watch NASL I barely see 3 contiguous passes completed in a row. I see crosses that don't even land on the pitch. I see long balls going out of the park. Its a quality of play that is almost pointless to watch. Add to this a plodding team that is lucky to create 2 realistic scoring chances in a match and that usually doesn't score a single goal.

I would say the fans that attend deserve better than this in every way.

MLS would be that. We should not only have a better stadium facility we should have MLS. I miss the Edmonton Drillers of old as well back when the NASL was the primo NA league and the Cosmos were really that.
    Last edited by Replacement; 16-07-2017 at 07:58 PM.

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your viewpoint) MLS has stated that it has all the Canadian teams it desires. It's a bit of the chicken and egg conundrum here, people don't want to come because of poor quality, but we can't afford quality unless more people come. The FCEd is doing a great job of producing local talent however (Shamit Shome and Alphonso Davies to name a couple).

The Faths are already losing millions a year and bringing in an international team is expensive. FCEd would have to pay everything from the other teams insurance, travel, lodging, and even salary for their trip here, unfortunately it doesn't make business sense to do that right now.

The soccer community in Edmonton has been shat on for years. The quality of fields we have had to play on is atrocious. Soccer is by far the most participated in sport in the city and gets so little funding compared to the other mainstream sports.

I agree with you Replacement. The Clarke Stadium does not feel like or look like a stadium at all. It's made up of aluminium bleachers that you see in high school and the entire thing feels like it's gonna crumble. The easy solution, like you said, would be to move over to something that's already built like the Commonwealth for example or maybe the RE/MAX field.

The fans have answered the call attendance wise and they deserve better. This city deserves better but when I look at professional sports teams as a whole, I can't help but feel that our country is made up of 3 places, Montreal, Vancouver and Toronto. That's where all the action is and that's where you can see MLB, MLS, NBA and a bit of NFL. With the exception of Hockey, places like Edmonton and Calgary are still just not recognised as potential markets. It's a shame but there is not much that we as fans can do other than continue to support our local talent and hope for the best. With the resurrection of the Ice District and the general revamp of the downtown area, maybe, just maybe, something good will come to us down the road. Hopefully sooner than later.

On a side note, it's interesting to look at what some places down South have compared to us:

Edmonton - Population of 930,000 and a Metro Population of 1.321,426

Salt Lake City - Population of 186,440 - Utah Jazz (NBA), Real Salt Lake (MLS) - Play their games at Rio Tinto Stadium which seats over 20k people
    Milwaukee - Population of 600,000 - Milwaukee Brewers (MLB) Milwaukee Bucks (NBA)
    Pittsburgh - Population of 305,000 - Pirates (MLB), Penguins (NHL), Steelers (NFL)
    Cleveland - Population of 400,000 - Cavs (NBA), Indians (MLB), Browns (NFL)
    Kansas City - Population of 500,000 - Chiefs (NFL), Royals (MLB), Sporting Kansas City (MLS)
    Cincinnati - Population of 300,000 - Reds (MLB), Bengals (NFL), FC Cincinnati (USL) The soccer team plays on a stadium that seats over 17k people
    Portland - Population of 600,000 - Trail Blazers (NBA), Timbers (MLS) - Play at Providence Park, a stadium that seats over 21k people

^Those US Cities have greater population in metro or surrounding areas. More outlying density.

In anycase I'm old enough to have seen the original Edmonton Drillers playing in the NASL in front of crowds of 20K at Commonwealth and at a time where Edmonton was viewed as one of the best sports markets in Canada which is not illusion either then, or now.

Its kind of depressing to think we were at the top rung of soccer on this continent, in that premier NA league, and while we had only half the metro population we have now.

For that reason, for me, its been hard to get behind this product. I've attended 3 games at the new field and every time the weather was awful. In one of the games the wind was whipping across the pitch so strong they couldn't keep the ball in play. Almost any pass was going out. Being that theres no sunken field, or hardly any surrounding stands theres nothing to dampen the wind at all. You basically can't play there with wind, but they do.

The last thing is that to go there, to Clarke, and see an empty Commonwealth Stadium just sitting there is a frustrating experience. It harkens back better soccer times in this city and even when it was the unofficial home of the Canadian National teams.

I liked going to Foote field as at least there I can detach from the better memories of what once was for Soccer in this city.

Quote Originally Posted by realkevbo View Post
    Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your viewpoint) MLS has stated that it has all the Canadian teams it desires. It's a bit of the chicken and egg conundrum here, people don't want to come because of poor quality, but we can't afford quality unless more people come. The FCEd is doing a great job of producing local talent however (Shamit Shome and Alphonso Davies to name a couple).

The Faths are already losing millions a year and bringing in an international team is expensive. FCEd would have to pay everything from the other teams insurance, travel, lodging, and even salary for their trip here, unfortunately it doesn't make business sense to do that right now.

The soccer community in Edmonton has been shat on for years. The quality of fields we have had to play on is atrocious. Soccer is by far the most participated in sport in the city and gets so little funding compared to the other mainstream sports.
    A lot of people thought that the former NASL either here, or the league itself didn't make sense. But it was a case of big visions and thinking big and seeing what came of it. Similar for the WHA being the incubator of the Edmonton Oilers and 4 clubs eventually going to the NHL. Without big dreams it doesn't occur.

One can argue the original NASL failed and yet theres no way the current MLS is in existence without the paths and trials of that former league having taken place. Plus that the NASL grew a fanbase, grew interest in watching soccer on this continent and grew the respective national sides, particularly the US.

It all just seems odd. Edmonton has better Soccer heritage than any city in Canada. Has had the top attendances for soccer matches in Canada. Has supported friendly matches and National side matches better etc. This is a Soccer market, but a number of aborted franchises like the Aviators has resulted in a perception that it isn't. This latest Fath incarnation is increasingly thinking small. Sure they are losing some money, but they haven't grown this product. Its pretty much stagnated on and off the field. The Fath energy was noted, and appreciated, when they were bringing in club sides for friendly matches which was really creating excitement and buzz. But that's been years ago and nothing of the sort since.

FC Edmonton in the current NASL is a pretty good product: it is what we have and as a soccer fan I support it and appreciate the job the Fath group are doing. MLS has more sizzle but with the exception of a few teams the quality is not that much better. Who knows, maybe in time the NASL will become as big as MLS in terms of sizzle. They (NASL) have some deep pocketed owners and some high profile (in the soccer world) ownership groups.

I would like the odd international club team friendly game too but it does cost a fortune.

The stands are relatively full and the fans who go have a good time.

You should buy a ticket and attend. You might like it. Quit being such a soccer snob!
    Last edited by metro; 26-07-2017 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Missed a word

Haha.

I'm a German first generation fan brought up to play the game reasonably well, I watch German football a lot, and just used to better.

I've supported in the past, even passionately and even supported Womens soccer tournaments here passionately. But there was a lot of moments sitting there in the stands with paid tickets and can't help but think that the brand played on the pitch is subpar. This inescapable relevation occurred watching FC Edmonton, and watching a World Cup Womens match with Sweden and I think Australia. Its just painful to watch sometimes.

The trouble is when you are conditioned to watching better it gets harder to watch other versions. Its been years since I liked the FC Edmonton product and really the team is deplorable. What, have they scored 9 goals all year. I think I read there has been 11 games where they were held off the scoresheet.

I initially liked Colin Miller but the D first approach kills me to watch sometimes. Unless a team can exact a good counter. Then I can appreciate it.

Just as an aside, lol Mexico. They can do everything but score in the most competitive matches. Lose to essentially an Unders German Team at the Confederation cup being destroyed 3-0 while pointlessly controlling play to no discernible effect but countlessly being out of position, then FF to Concacaf and Mexico again can't score a goal to save their lives. Eventually, Brazil realizing how futile Mexico are push forward in increasing numbers and eventually take control of the match. But essentially due to the Mexicans recent inability to score against competitive sides. A side rant is that a dozen powerful kicks flying well over the bar are not worth one well devised German multiple pass set piece perfectly finding the open man who calmly slots it home.

In fairness German football has spoiled me. Not a completely bad thing.

Of note the Canadian Mens team is no longer playing long ball hoping soccer. A good thing. They were actually entertaining, possessed the ball well, created decent chances and while playing competent defensively. Well coached squad.

Lastly not sure what teams you are watching in the MLS. Its vastly superior soccer.
    Last edited by Replacement; 26-07-2017 at 03:09 PM.

I am a huge fan of English soccer, and I watch it every week while the season is on. Newcastle united is my favourite team.
    NASL and MLS will not rival the major European leagues for a long time but I accept it is what it is. Hopefully more people will in time too and we can finally get a soccer specific stadium.

When we lived in Edinburgh I attended Edinburgh Capitals Ice Hockey games, even though I was spoiled by the NHL. Same for the now defunct Newcastle Vipers. I like hockey so I went. It was a great social outing.

^Inevitable. The city basically refused to help and the Faths doing this all on their own. They stuck in there years longer than anybody could have expected.

Its unfortunate they had a deplorable facility to play in albeit attendance there was better than its ever been this past season.

I think more than anything the fans supporting the club this season with good numbers confirmed the city had no intention of helping the org survive now or ever through a partnership to develop an appropriate facility.

That aside the schedule and travel of this league wasn't conducive. Home dates in April particularly are terrible with the spring winds blowing. Basically conditions in which you can hardly play football. Team seemed to get the worst of the weather a lot of the time. But the travel, oh man... There might not be many pro teams on Earth that travel as much on a per game average.

Sad but inevitable.Thanks to the Fath brothers for the years of effort and financial losses trying to make it work.Maybe if the City had a proper stadium, it would have worked.BTW, The NASL as a league may not last either, from what I've heard.
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Long Term Contributor

I like the idea of FC in the proposed new Canadian Premier League, assuming a new team by OEG doesn't already have plans in that regard.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Why would OEG want to get involved in something nobody shows up to watch? To lose money for a tax write off ?

Apparently FC Edmonton wants to join the CanPL for the 2019 season. They've kicked off a season ticket commitment drive https://the11.ca/fce-to-canpl-it-wil...dmonton-sport/

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Apparently FC Edmonton wants to join the CanPL for the 2019 season. They've kicked off a season ticket commitment drive https://the11.ca/fce-to-canpl-it-wil...dmonton-sport/
    More accurately, a group want FC Edmonton to join the CPL. The Fath group who is behind and owes FC Edmonton need to be convinced Edmonton will support it.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

I would say, from talking to Tom and others involved, that they want a CPL team just as much as the fans do, the Faths are just at the point where the amount of money lost is taking it's toll and they want to know if their dream can be at least a little more financially viable.

FC Edmonton is still running it's academy programs for both male and female players, which is a full ride, elite level soccer academy. Many of the players that graduate from the academy go on to get scholarships at universities across America, as well as signing professional contracts. I don't believe for a second that the Faths have given up on soccer in Edmonton, they just needed some time to breath and reassess the landscape, and with the NASL cancelling the 2018 season today i think Tom made the correct choice to pull out when he did.

Good info kevbo. Thanks for the insight and opinion. Always appreciate an informed post that furthers discussion.

A $40 deposit is being asked of people making a commitment. We pledged yesterday. I hope they get enough support. FC Edmonton is an important piece of our sporting landscape.

Made my pledge too

C2E SME

So ultimately how much are season tickets?