Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Edmonton Eskimos 2017 Season

Thanks for the reply. I'm in one of my moments, heh, I get them..

Feeling sad about the club. I do think this will turn out to be defining moment of the season for this club. Which will be magnified from here on.

The most disturbing aspect is all the behind the scenes commentary that Franklin will be a Rider next season and that Jones will finally have his QB in Saskatchewan. I do think with that in play, and that it will occur, that the Riders could even win the Cup. Franklin is very good.

I'm torn because I love Reilly, he is the present, but Franklin is the future. Franklin is quite possibly the best QB in this league, and he's sitting, and he's going to be moving on. One could see the indelible connection between Maas and Reilly that isn't going away. But I can also see a future Franklin, on another club, undressing us fully.

That was the hardest thing to see last night with Jones basically laughing about Franklin possibilities. He would know he has an inside track with the young QB as well. If Franklin is going anywhere, its to the riders. When that happens the shitshow is complete.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Hard Core Contributor

The defence played well enough to win the game. There was only three minutes difference in time of possession. This loss can be attributed to brutal special teams and offence play. Mike Reilly was terrible last night. I have to think it was his worst performance as an Eskimo. I count seven horrendous special teams plays.

Does anybody use a two quarterback system anymore? I don't think so but if you can go half a game with only getting 6 or 7 points you should expect to be replaced.

As far as the LDC goes for the last decade or so it has usually been a super hyped Calgary team throttling the Eskimos. It is amazing the Eskimos still have an edge in the series. If I was the CEO of the Eskimos I would put an end to the game being played in Calgary every year. Why do them favours?

Why do them favors? I share the concern but it is part of the "Eskimos way" and that was most prevalent during Hugh Campbells term here and a belief that the benefit of the league, and of other teams sometimes takes precedence over select benefit of the Eskimos. The Eskimos have ceded this game because Calgary has always needed it more from a gate standpoint.

I don't agree with the above, but its the backstory.

Have to say I've done a 180 on my recent Mike Reilly view since last week, heh, I'll own that. He was terrible, but is he playing injured? Bad news in anycase.

Teams not using a two QB system is silly. For the most part its because few teams have 2 capable guys to go. But its silly for the Esks and Leos not to use it.

I can't see any scenario in which the Esks prevail in Calgary. That team will be jacked to play us. I doubt the Esks will be a motivated or prepared.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I'd rather C2E than work!

I try to respond to every c2e post/conversation I'm in. Putting people on ignore is so juvenile, imo

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I'm in one of my moments, heh, I get them..

Feeling sad about the club. I do think this will turn out to be defining moment of the season for this club. Which will be magnified from here on.

The most disturbing aspect is all the behind the scenes commentary that Franklin will be a Rider next season and that Jones will finally have his QB in Saskatchewan. I do think with that in play, and that it will occur, that the Riders could even win the Cup. Franklin is very good.

I'm torn because I love Reilly, he is the present, but Franklin is the future. Franklin is quite possibly the best QB in this league, and he's sitting, and he's going to be moving on. One could see the indelible connection between Maas and Reilly that isn't going away. But I can also see a future Franklin, on another club, undressing us fully.

That was the hardest thing to see last night with Jones basically laughing about Franklin possibilities. He would know he has an inside track with the young QB as well. If Franklin is going anywhere, its to the riders. When that happens the shitshow is complete.
    It's all good.

I think we'll finish 3rd in the West when the playoffs begin. Your opinion makes sense.

After watching Franklin play, he's got a good arm and a pass completion rate of over 80%

I think Franklin is where Ricky Ray was during his last year here. Franklin could be our future as well. If we let Franklin go, it could bite us big time. Here's a good feature on James Franklin:

https://www.cfl.ca/2016/06/16/long-r...ext-big-thing/
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

What a disaster and heartbreaker. Riley's worst game I have seen too - couldn't connect with anything. We could sure use a bi week about now.
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

^ We already had one. I think there are 2/season right? When is our next one?

When has Reilly ever had the same receivers for 2 games straight this season? I am sure the offense has had to work with a simplified playbook with so many guys playing offensive positions for the first time.

This is a bit of a rough patch, but if they can finally get a stable roster for the last 4 weeks of the season I think this team can with the Grey Cup.

Ok, too many penalties is what did us in.

When it was 25 to 3 I went back to work and put more siding on

Too many turn overs.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Well that was not pretty.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Another bed-wetting. Gave me some impetus to clean my kitchen. Turnovers, bad penalties, indifferent coverage, it seems that now that the Esks have to play western teams, their injuries are hitting them hard.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

I gave up early so I don't know if MR's duties were required. Did the coach replace him in the 2nd half?

Reilly stayed in the entire game.

Was afraid this would happen, so spent a sun drenched day watching the Tour of Alberta instead.

Some serious soul-searching required.
    ... gobsmacked

Well the awesome thing is that the bigs start for real tomorrow !

And nobody will give a fuq about the CFL anymore.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Plenty of people will, I for one don't/won't watch the NFL.

I start watching NFL after the Grey Cup game.

CFL is no 1 with me, NFL a distant second.

I hate the NFL. We do have bigger balls!

Love NFL, but it's only my mistress. CFL is my family.
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Derel Walker is back with the Green and Gold

That's too bad.

Top_Dawg would have liked to see how he fared in the bigs.

He had to impress the Bucs coaching staff with incredible hands and athleticism because he's not tall enough to play wide out in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    Derel Walker is back with the Green and Gold
    Good news indeed. I can't wait for the rubber match on Saturday.

NFL= No fun League.

C2E SME

A heartbreaker, but the Eskimos played better tonight.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

^ Heartbreaker? That was a farce. A self inflicted wound. Maas explodes because of challenge call that didn't go his way, then the throat gesture that cost Esks the game. There's nobody to blame for the Eskimo's loss at Commonwealth but the Eskimo players themselves. The better team on the field was the Calgary Stampeders. Bo Levi Mitchell is the best quarter back in the league. With all that said, I still believe in Mike Reilly.
    Last edited by envaneo; 10-09-2017 at 01:15 AM.

The throat gesture cost them the game imho, they know that.
    I think Reilly is still the best QB..

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    ^ Heartbreaker? That was a farce. A self inflicted wound. Maas explodes because of challenge call that didn't go his way, then the throat gesture that cost Esks the game. There's nobody to blame for the Eskimo's loss at Commonwealth but the Eskimo players themselves. The better team on the field was the Calgary Stampeders. Bo Levi Mitchell is the best quarter back in the league. With all that said, I still believe in Mike Reilly.
    What? That was the best game the Esks have played all season. The intensity was jacked all game and the Esks were punishing the stamps all over the field. Edmonton won the offensive battle, the defensive battle, but lost special teams and fought penalties. In a game where the Stamps were gifted a TD on a questionable PI call, and where they got a FG off a flubbed punt snap.

Still, the Esks were winning the game with 40 secs left and in position to tie with zero secs left. Against a club that is basically unbeatable in regular season.

Play like this against the Stamps in the playoffs and we win. Stamps have never been hit so hard all year. This was a slobberknocker and great game to watch.

Mike Reilly? Threw for 471yds against the best D the CFL has ever seen. Carved them up and down the field repeatedly and Stamps basically had no answer to the Esks vaunted passing game that was getting it done all day. Only a putrid running game was costing us drives. Perkins is a pathetic starter RB with zero leg strength that can't run an inch against the Stamps. Any decent running game and we win this one going away.
    Last edited by Replacement; 10-09-2017 at 05:39 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

You clearly didn't watch the game, the Esks and especially Mike Reilly outplayed the Stamps, they just couldn't beat the completely awful referees.

Reilly - 37/47 (79%) for 461 yards passing
    Mitchell - 21/36 (58%) for 272 yards passing
    25-19 in first downs for us
    Total yards 480-331 for us
    34 min to 26 in time of possession for us

The Esks need a reliable kicker. If they had that, they would've won that game.

All losses are bad, but the Esks proved they can go toe-to-toe with any team in the CFL.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    The Esks need a reliable kicker. If they had that, they would've won that game.

All losses are bad, but the Esks proved they can go toe-to-toe with any team in the CFL.
    Of course they can, some people must have splinters in their bums!

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    You clearly didn't watch the game, the Esks and especially Mike Reilly outplayed the Stamps, they just couldn't beat the completely awful referees.

Reilly - 37/47 (79%) for 461 yards passing
    Mitchell - 21/36 (58%) for 272 yards passing
    25-19 in first downs for us
    Total yards 480-331 for us
    34 min to 26 in time of possession for us
    I watched it all cover to cover, even the hit Reilly, took that had him go off the field for 3 plays. It was great seeing Gizmo on the sidelines, and the guys in he stands wearing Eskimo' standing up. And the botched field goal by are kicker at the end. Your also forgetting we had 10 1st downs in the first half. I watched was (it Maston) that got taken out and their guy got hauled out before Almondo Sewell made sure he was ok. Sewell is a class act. Your also forgetting our 2 interceptions, and Calgary's 2 botched field goals. Sure all the stats you provided are nice and all. I won't be able to watch next weekends game because I'll be at Ft Edmonton pk.
    Last edited by envaneo; 10-09-2017 at 12:42 PM.

What? That was the best game the Esks have played all season. The intensity was jacked all game and the Esks were punishing the stamps all over the field. Edmonton won the offensive battle, the defensive battle, but lost special teams and fought penalties. In a game where the Stamps were gifted a TD on a questionable PI call, and where they got a FG off a flubbed punt snap.

Still, the Esks were winning the game with 40 secs left and in position to tie with zero secs left. Against a club that is basically unbeatable in regular season.

Play like this against the Stamps in the playoffs and we win. Stamps have never been hit so hard all year. This was a slobberknocker and great game to watch.

Mike Reilly? Threw for 471yds against the best D the CFL has ever seen. Carved them up and down the field repeatedly and Stamps basically had no answer to the Esks vaunted passing game that was getting it done all day. Only a putrid running game was costing us drives. Perkins is a pathetic starter RB with zero leg strength that can't run an inch against the Stamps. Any decent running game and we win this one going away.
    The Esks have yet to play their best game this season, that's coming up. Calgary (although it pains me to admit this) is the best CFL team in the league right now. How many penalty's has that intensity cost us last night? Eskimo's played well enough on Home turf and played well against the best in the West. I agree about the pass interference call.

Eskimos held the lead 22-18.

It was great to see Derel Walker score that TD

The running game was mediocre to say the least

I didn't buy in to the TSN comments that the intensity of the Esks was inappropriate. This is a tale of two football clubs and times. One has to consider that there has been no regular season team so dominant as the Stamps since the 78-82 Esks. The good news is that Esks team actually won several GC's. Calgary can be beat in the playoffs. That's the difference but they are regular season lions.
    To beat a football team better than you are you HAVE to beat their intensity. You have to be jacked.

I also didn't mention that the Esks had a TD called back on a borderline offside call. Basically every big call, and about a 100 extra yds in penalties, went against the Esks. Remove the officials from the field and the game played on the field wasn't even close. Stamps have been getting this kind of preferential calls for years.

TSN CFL guys are not as open as TSN hockey guys it seems.

I think Esks fortunes are going to change on Saturday in Toronto.

Loved the format yesterday of 3 consecutive games. After labour day it would be great to see the CFL continue with 1 Friday night game and 3 Saturday games. After October 1st I would like to see them play only afternoon games in Edmonton, Calgary, Regina and Winnipeg due to the cooler/colder evenings.

I like a spread out format for a league featuring only 9 clubs and so only 4 games per week. Having 3 of those on one day basically removes the league from consideration any other day. Leading to such things as no Sunday game.

To me 3 games in a row is the CFL blowing the wad all at once. Plus that I am incapable of watching one game after another and thankfully so. The Esks game took nearly 3.5hrs to play. I couldn't imagine watching even two games in a row and the sedentary nature of that viewing.

I have always thought it would be a good idea to focus on 2 days, similar to what the NFL did with Sunday and Monday night football or College football on Saturdays.

Just as an aside, but I can't ever comprehend the attention some things speciously get in the press is UFC, that wasn't even sold out, with thousands of tickets available yesterday, maybe 15K in attendance gets front page 2 fold billing in the Sun and the first two pages in the sports section. 4 complete dedicated pages of coverage. Clearly receiving primary coverage. I don't know a single person that goes to these events and apparently few do but anyway.

Meanwhile second half of the BOA is on in Edmonton at glorious Commonwealth Stadium, 35K in attendance, a fantastic game, our National League, and it gets page 3,4 in sports section second billing. In the biggest regular season game of the year.

Try to justify this. UFC really seems to be losing appeal. But they still seem to be media darlings. CFL could use some more media love in this country.

I thought front page news was supposed to be about primary events and the biggest happenings. How was UFC bigger than the Esks game last night? A rethink is in order.

Because the UFC was here in Edmonton, I think for the first time. I mean, I couldn't give a rats' arse either but I do understand why it would be headline material because of it.
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

Watching some of the playbacks, man I can see why Jason was so upset!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    Because the UFC was here in Edmonton, I think for the first time. I mean, I couldn't give a rats' arse either but I do understand why it would be headline material because of it.
    This.

I don't care about UFC either, but we have 9 Eskimos home games every year, and UFC is a rare sporting event. I can see why it attracted a lot of media attention.

So why is the Davis Cup, the first time its been here in 20years not attracting the same attention? The Tennis Pro tour, and the Davis Cup is much bigger than the UFC and high level Tennis is much more viewed and attended than UFC. Plus that way more people play tennis than compete in MMA. So why the fascination with blood and guts UFC?

The Davis Cup draw here could use some love.

Plus that the Davis Cup is here for 3 days, is a national team event, and as a Nation we could be supporting it, instead of another US invocation.

So why is the Davis Cup, the first time its been here in 20years not attracting the same attention?
    It has been hosted here before.

So why is the Davis Cup, the first time its been here in 20years not attracting the same attention?
    It has been hosted here before.
    Over 20yrs ago. Clearly its an event on similar, if not greater grounds and featuring a young player that is considered one of the quick rising stars of the game and perhaps a new Federer. Canada is a budding Tennis power in the world and the premier international tennis competition is being hosted here and precious little articles on it. Anything I see in the media is primarily paid for adds.

Perhaps because this is being hosted at Rexall its getting no love. The last one was at the Butterdome, was 1996, and Canada against Chile. It was great entertainment. A 3-2 hardfought win for Canada.

I don't disagree. I just think this UFC event was more of a novelty, since it was the first.

At any rate, as far as the Eskimos go, I think their biggest holes now are at the running back position and kicker/punter. They aren't going to win anything without those. They have a massive offensive line, and should be racking up yardage on the ground, but Perkins isn't the guy to do it.

Their defense is playing well enough to win it all. Even against calgary, they came up with 2 big turnovers late in the 4th quarter, but the offense couldn't capitalize.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Watching some of the playbacks, man I can see why Jason was so upset!
    I need to review this as well, do have a link please?

Ol' Kavis returns to the bench after shitcanning his head coach and defensive co-ordinator.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/diffe...426/story.html

This should be good.

Interesting. For a second I kept thinking Reed was still a Eskimo, lol
    Last edited by envaneo; 13-09-2017 at 02:06 PM.

In an effort to reduce injuries, the CFL has ended padded full-contact practices in the regular season, and next year each team will get 3 bye weeks (instead of 2):

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl-immediately-en...tices-1.855515

I'm wondering as well if some injuries have other causes. For instance ever since Commonwealth moved from natural grass to turf theres been more injuries. They also around the same time started practicing indoors at the indoor practice field.

The Esks used to play, and practice on real grass with more forgiving ground. I'm not a big fan of artificial surfaces and a lot of injuries you see is when legs, feet, etc are trapped or planted too firmly on a cut or tackle. With grass the grass gives. In effect there is too much traction on artificial turf.

I tend to think that 5-10 yrs from now it will be commonly deduced that the play and practice fields are causing a lot of the problems.

The Esks seem to have had a lot more players injure their knees in the years since Commonwealth switched from grass to turf.

Are there any other cfl teams that have grass on their fields?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

No, we were the last to remove it though it may be back in 2026 if we host any of the World Cup.

I will be ****** if we manage to lose to the Argos.

Team needs to come out flying and grab this game. Play like they did against the Stamps and they got this. But I don't know if the Esks will be as up for this game. They really need to turn it around right now. WC is TIGHT.

Bowel Movement Field is mostly natural grass.

C2E SME

Hugh O'Neill will be out of a job.

31-15 Argos in the third after a return all the way on an Esks missed field goal. What has happened to the Esks. Maybe they'll come back in the fourth.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 16-09-2017 at 04:03 PM.

Could have won it, except the officials blew three calls in a row in Argos favour.

At least we have a bi week coming up. Two not called head buts in a row? C'mon now.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Hugh O'Neill will be out of a job.
    You say this like its a bad thing. The hiring of him and Milo is reminding me of the good enuf reign of terror during Macciocia.

This is obviously not capable personnel and today cost us two FG's plus the return for a TD. For a swing total of 13pts. That's the game folks. That he kicked it wide farside is even more culpable. Any JF coach tells the kicker whatever you do don't kick it wide far side. That's a hell of a harder cover and just plays into the hands of the returner. You learn this in football by age 16,

Anyway I'm disgusted with a club that predictably didn't play the first half and as if they didn't need to.

Shame on the Esks expecting to pull out a result in the 4th quarter after sucking most of the way.

Gotta say it too. Our D front is supposed to be class of the league. They left gaping run holes all day. Gap coverage was terrible. Argos with over 200yds rushing, yikes.
    Last edited by Replacement; 16-09-2017 at 07:16 PM.

At least we have a bi week coming up. Two not called head buts in a row? C'mon now.
    This.

Incredible isn't it. How can the star player in the league be hit helmet to helmet two weeks in a row and it not be called. Even worse its astounding it wasn't called this week after everybody and their dog knew the league screwed it up last week pulling Reilly for 3 downs for concussion protocol and somehow in that neglecting to call an obvious helmet to helmet hit.

Gotta love as well how two challenge calls, both involving Duke Williams, both somehow go against us. Lord help us.

Could the officiating be anymore one sided?

I don't know if this happens to any other club to this degree.

But overall excuses are for losers. The Esks decided not to make sure of this result. That's their own fault.

The Esks gotta fix their kicking problem. If you can't kick for points in football, you're screwed.

This.

Incredible isn't it. How can the star player in the league be hit helmet to helmet two weeks in a row and it not be called. Even worse its astounding it wasn't called this week after everybody and their dog knew the league screwed it up last week pulling Reilly for 3 downs for concussion protocol and somehow in that neglecting to call an obvious helmet to helmet hit.

Gotta love as well how two challenge calls, both involving Duke Williams, both somehow go against us. Lord help us.

Could the officiating be anymore one sided?

I don't know if this happens to any other club to this degree.

But overall excuses are for losers. The Esks decided not to make sure of this result. That's their own fault.
    Don't you get the feeling like the league is against clubs that are on a roll? Colour commentating during the Winnipeg game were all over the Esks, panning the camera to Bomber fans with signs, "The streak ends tonight," and of course officiating gets a brain fart and sides with the fans looking for anything they can give the home team.

Officiating is too bias against the Eskimos because of that 7-0 record.

Mass already used his challenge flag before the head but, Argo's could have done anything they wanted. The CFL should go back to the 3 challenge's per game but not more then 1 in each quarter.

I agree with everything you just said.

The Esks gotta fix their kicking problem. If you can't kick for points in football, you're screwed.
    I tuned out after Q3 but what was that 6-8 points lost on the kick?

At least we're still playing 500 football

C2E SME

We lost 5 points on missed kicks (one single), plus another 7 on the return from the end zone (and convert), a total of 12 points.

That would have won the game for us right there.

We really miss Sean Whyte's high field goal % here.

^We do. But we were playing the Toronto Argonauts. Should the game even come down to FG's?

Almost any WC club is blowing EC opponents away. Now the Esks are having trouble even with the East?

Something deeper is wrong with this club and I first detected something odd in the Sask and Bombers games. At which point I was told the sky isn't falling. The Esks are in danger of not even making the playoffs as strange as that sounds given they started 7-0. Only one club gets a crossover.

Heres something troubling and I can't figure it out. Whens the last time you saw Willis make a big play. Whens the last time you saw Bowman make a big play. Whens the last time you saw Reilly having a really solid outing (Calgary, but only one in last 5) I wonder how many of these guys are playing through injury still and not really healthy.

The other line of thinking is that this club was just staggering towards its week off bye. They've played a lot of football in the last month, lost all the games. Somewhere this team hit a wall, through injury, I can understand that, I can't comprehend how the team is healthy now and playing worse than its played. This weekend was the worst performance of the season.

Well, hopefully our fortunes will turn after the bye week. I got a feeling there's going to be a major announcement this week.

I'll just posit a theory that the firing of Hervey wasn't popular with everybody. I think the 7-0 start kind of hid what dissatisfaction there could be presently on this club.

As well hard for the players not to note That Hervey style management recruited a kicker like Whyte when the team needed help in that area.

Present management is recruiting guys like Milo and O Neil.

The former management recruited a GC calibre club. Present management is fielding a watered down version. This being particularly notable on special teams, and in the secondary.

The reality is with present management we've returned to just being another team.

I really feel Hervey did a solid job here recruiting talent and filling needed spots. I miss that.

That said we're stronger at receiver position than ever but that's the exception, not the rule on this squad.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123