Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Edmonton Eskimos 2017 Season

I'd rather C2E than work!

Mass got us to the promised land this year didn't he?

He's a bit animated tbh
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    It was really hard to watch Perkins as our RB. Please come back Gable.

Maas is a joke as a head coach. How could Esks management fire Hervey because he wasn't dancing the "Esks Way" and we have a headcoach losing it on the sidelines every game and that this is OK. Screaming at your assistants on national TV is a new low. I'm embarrassed to watch that. I wonder how much divisiveness Maas is causing on this team. We have an allstar lineup but not everybody pulling together. Willis wouldn't even defend the headcoach in an interview. Something really stewing. We're going to lose some players and its going to be due to Maas and Rhodes.

Reilly can't even get the play calls from the bench in time and you could see his degree of frustration. The sideline too busy arguing to call the bloody plays. What a gongshow last night was again. We managed to win, only due to heroic efforts of the star players on the field.

Meanwhile the Riders are ramping up to be a dominating club.

There have been many commenting on that incident. Mass should have fired that coach last winter then he wouldn't have had an issue with him. McDiarmid is running a unit that has caused several loses this year and was failing again last night.

How do you know Reilly wasn't getting calls from the bench in time?

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    It was really hard to watch Perkins as our RB. Please come back Gable.

Maas is a joke as a head coach. How could Esks management fire Hervey because he wasn't dancing the "Esks Way" and we have a headcoach losing it on the sidelines every game and that this is OK. Screaming at your assistants on national TV is a new low. I'm embarrassed to watch that. I wonder how much divisiveness Maas is causing on this team. We have an allstar lineup but not everybody pulling together. Willis wouldn't even defend the headcoach in an interview. Something really stewing. We're going to lose some players and its going to be due to Maas and Rhodes.

Reilly can't even get the play calls from the bench in time and you could see his degree of frustration. The sideline too busy arguing to call the bloody plays. What a gongshow last night was again. We managed to win, only due to heroic efforts of the star players on the field.

Meanwhile the Riders are ramping up to be a dominating club.

There have been many commenting on that incident. Mass should have fired that coach last winter then he wouldn't have had an issue with him. McDiarmid is running a unit that has caused several loses this year and was failing again last night.

How do you know Reilly wasn't getting calls from the bench in time?
    Agree with you McDiarmid probably should be fired as its the worst special teams unit I've seen on the Esks. They don't do anything well. That said you don't do what Maas has done multiple times just losing it on National TV.

As far as Reilly its been an ongoing complaint. The Esks lead the league in procedure calls and not because the team on the field is not ready. Tons of times Reilly is looking over at the bench in frustration about when the play is being called. I think it was Terry Jones that wrote an article about it and that sometimes there was arguments (this season) on the bench about what the play would actually be as the time clock was counting down. With Reilly looking perplexed on the field. A couple times Reilly went to the bench after a procedure call and two and out and was very irate. I watch Reilly a lot and note when he's flustered. The esks have even bootlegged some plays when the call didn't come in. The broadcasts have even picked that up. Usually Reilly calling his own number.

The silliest thing is the team does not grant Reilly more opportunity to call his own plays at this tenure.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

The Eskies looked really good against the Stamps on Saturday. Offense, defense, and special teams were all solid in the win. It's clear to see that when Reilly runs the ball, the Eskimos offense is incredibly difficult to contain. And it looks like they have their kicking game in order (bad kicking has lost them 2-3 games this year).

Special teams must have worked hard in the last week as the efforts out there were on another level from what they had been. Also helpful that we now actually have a kick returner. That was a very useful gain on that one long return as well. Gave us some insurance on the board at a time stamps were gaining momentum. What I liked most is that the special teams were hitting hard. knocking guys right off their feet.

Grymes. Wow. Is there a better defender athlete in this whole league? I doubt it. What a force of nature. This guy can cover a field, lay a hit on a guy when he's 20yds away and be first on the tackle. Plus when Grymes hits you its with a force that is shocking relative to the CFL. This is a player that doesn't even need a number on his back, you know who he is, and not just for the hair. I can't describe how impressive it is for someone like Grymes to lay it out like he does with such passion and lack of regard for his body for CFL pay. The guy just loves to make plays, loves to win, loves to jack up his D. Absolute passion.

Mike Reilly. Ditto to Grymes. What a statement game. How many hits did he take to make plays. How many first downs he get on his own? Look at Reillys face at any moment in this game and you know he's fully dialed in. This is the time of the year, is he ever feeling it.

One of the best things is looking at the Stamps D coordinator or Hufnagel and his wife in the booth. They looked shocked. A beatdown from the Eskimos.

They shouldn't be too shocked. Reilly owned the Stamps a couple seasons back and the Labor day repeat the Esks were the better team. now the Stamps are getting a few injuries and they can't seem to sustain. That's kind of funny relative to the injuries the Esks have had.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

That was a great solidly played CFL playoff game victory by the Eskimos today!!!

Who is this Adarius Bowman guy?

Reilly and Zylstra looked superb, awesome timing. Gable is built to run, scamper, and hop on CFL frozen turf.

My only worry is the Eskimo defence against the run.

The best part about tonight? Derel Walker was barely utilized.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Absolutely! We had multiple threats throwing them off their game.

GO ESKS GO!!!!
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Saskatchewan beat Ottawa and will face the Argos next week. Personally I'm hoping for an Esks/Argos Grey Cup.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Great game!
    How many bombers does it take, to bring down Gable?? 🏈

The Stamps defense will focus on the Esks' deadly passing game, but I think if the Eskimos use Gable AND Reilly to run the ball a lot against the Stamps, I think there is no way they will be stopped, and the Esks will head to the Grey Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    The Stamps defense will focus on the Esks' deadly passing game, but I think if the Eskimos use Gable AND Reilly to run the ball a lot against the Stamps, I think there is no way they will be stopped, and the Esks will head to the Grey Cup.
    That's a great game plan, agreed.

But that Stamps defence? Something else. Guessing one way or t'other it'll come down to a last minute field goal.
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Personally I'm hoping for an Esks/Argos Grey Cup.
    Well, that makes one of you.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    That's a great game plan, agreed.

But that Stamps defence? Something else. Guessing one way or t'other it'll come down to a last minute field goal.
    The Stamps are big and mobile up front so running may not work as well as expected. With the tandem of Bowman, Zylstra, Walker, Hazelton the Esks have an arsenal the likes of which has never been seen before in the CFL. With 3 guys being league leaders at one point or another all playing on the same team and all of them being punishing Yac yds recievers that can take a beating.

I don't want the Eskimos to start with a vanilla offence of nickel and dime. I want the Esks to push plays from the start and make the Stamps have to cover our strength. No team has been able to cover all 4. They end up doubling, even tripling coverage and then somebody else wide open. Reilly has the best TD/Interception ratio I've seen and so passing the ball, uniquely, with this club is the money bet. You stretch out the Stamps D right away, get them worried about backfield, then you start mixing in the run.

This is not a typical game where you establish the run imo and then the pass comes. With this supercharged Esks offense you start with strength, drive for an opening TD, and then watch Calgary D not know what to do. That's when you mix it up. jmo

The reason I don't go with a vanilla offense is we need to tire the Stamps D out stretching them out from the start. By the 3rd quarter if not before that we will have our way.

Quote Originally Posted by bpeters View Post
    Yep, exactly. Who outside of Toronto would ever want a Toronto club in the Championship? Especially a team that isn't even supported by fans in that city.

Esks vs Riders would be unique and I expect its what will occur and with the Esks winning the all west Grey Cup. If the Riders D get to Ray early or pick off a ball or two its a done deal. Riders will be jacked up for the game.

The East this year and most years lately doesn't even deserve to have a GC representative. 4 clubs in the west had more pts than the *first place* argos.

Sad part is (as the Esks can attest to) these Eastern clubs get real fired up to NOT be the team that let a western based team go to the big game at their expense. Trestman is a good coach and I expect every trick thrown at the Riders. However Riders are very motivated to be the club that bucks the trend. I'm expecting a good game.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Sad part is (as the Esks can attest to) these Eastern clubs get real fired up to NOT be the team that let a western based team go to the big game at their expense. Trestman is a good coach and I expect every trick thrown at the Riders. However Riders are very motivated to be the club that bucks the trend. I'm expecting a good game.
    Well, EC clubs have the huge advantage of being able to treat most of the season as an exhibition season. Win 6 games and you might get 2nd place in in. Go .500 and your gold for first place and a buy in the final. lol. been like this for countless years.
    So that EC teams do not have to knock themselves out most of the season just to lock down a playoff spot. They can rotate guys in the lineup, try different things, rest guys 3 games in a row etc. All preparing to be rested and healthy going into the EC final, the only game they have to play to get to the GC.

In the EC final, and in the GC, the rested Eastern teams have the advantage of it not having been an arduous year. Also, any competent EC team is basically guaranteed a home playoff date.

Due to the 4 teams in east and 5 in the west its my opinion that any crossover team that has more pts should have home field in the Semifinal. For instance the Riders had more pts than Red Black so regardless of ordinal placing should get home field on the basis of the better record. But the CFL caters to Eastern teams as much as possible.

Time to take the horses out to pasture.
    www.decl.org

I'm so nervous!!!!! Baileys will help...😆👍

Win or lose this Eskimo season has been interesting.

Is anyone playing sports select with this game on your ticket?

Uh-oh, it doesn't look good for the Riders.

19-18 Riders, with a bit of time on the clock

Argo football 3:19 Arrrg.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    19-18 Riders, with a bit of time on the clock

Argo football 3:19 Arrrg.

21-18 riders..1.09 to go

OT??

Damn!!!
    Last edited by H.L.; Yesterday at 03:02 PM.

.43 c'mon Riders

1st and goal Argos, uh-oh.

Unless Riders can pull off a hail Mary here, its an Argo's V

Argo's in the East. Sorry for the spamming

Too bad so sad!
    If the Esks make it today, it will the former Esks QB vs the current QB.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Wth Maas????

"The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Nice try Esks.
    A pity you couldn't hold on to that early lead.
    Also a pity ol' jug ears made that stupid call for a FG instead of a TD to tie with under 2 minutes left.

Terrible call by Maas, should cost him his job. Listened to his post game interview, very flawed reasoning. But as the president of the club said, there is more to sports than winning!

Nice try Esks.
    Also a pity ol' jug ears made that stupid call for a FG instead of a TD to tie with under 2 minutes left.
    Why didn't he go for the tie..ugh!!!

Shoulda went for it no doubt. Bad move. Coulda shoulda woulda. Another successful year though for the organization. Congrats on that and hope you all have a great off season. See ya next year!

And giving up 6 points because of the wind, ball security, bad decision making cost us the game.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    And giving up 6 points because of the wind, ball security, bad decision making cost us the game.
    I feel bad for the players.. Oh well.;(

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Terrible call by Maas, should cost him his job. Listened to his post game interview, very flawed reasoning. But as the president of the club said, there is more to sports than winning!
    What was his reasoning? I'm not overly knowledgeable about football, but for the life of me I cannot understand that decision.

C2E Continued Contributor

He basically said he was confident in his defence to stop Calgary, and then his offense to get the job done. But I think he forgot that there was only 1.30 left in the game... And Calgary would have only needed like 2 first downs to run the clock out anyway. Such a terrible decision, and even perimeter football fans couldn't understand the logic behind that call.

There was 1:56 remaining when Mass decided to kick the field goal. Inexplicably the clock was running during that 3rd down play despite the ball carrier being run out of bounds on the previous play.

His reasoning was that they could win the game if the held the Stamps and got the ball back. Had they done that there would have been about a minute left for the Eskimos to march the field to win the game.

If they got a first down and then the touchdown the could have done the same thing. There was no reason to trust that the defence would hold Calgary to a 2 and out.

He gave up a chance to win and go on and maybe win the Grey Cup. Stupid thing to do as far as I'm concerned, but what do I know. It kind of shocked everyone when he didn't go for it when they had previously been very successful with moving forward on the third down. I'm sure he will pay for it. A lot of people mad at him I think.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I could maybe, maybe understand kicking that field goal if the lead was 6 points. But at 7 (and then 4), they needed to get a touchdown again anyway. I honestly wonder if he goofed on the math.

Yeah.

PARTICIPATION RIBBONS FOR EVERYBODY !!

I'll bet Dave Dickenson peed his pants laughing when he saw Maas' decision. I now have zero interest in the Grey Cup this year.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Odd call indeed, although M.R. would have taken them down for a score if hands mcterrible didn't think about running it back before the ball was secure.
    www.decl.org

Nice try Esks.
    Yeah SDM you got your wish, well half of it. hahahaha enjoy your Grey Cup. We'll take Reilly in Regina. That clown you have as a coach in Edmonton is clueless. What's also sad is NO ONE on his staff or in the press box had the nuts to say something to him. Or call a time out if you have one and have a discussion. We won't know if that was suggested but it's not apparent. Tells me a lot about the dictatorship. ***** on Chris Jones all you want, there's a reason all his staff left with him and came with him from Toronto prior to Edmonton.

I won't watch, but I hope Calgary does the usual
    and chokes, they are very good at that

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    What was his reasoning? I'm not overly knowledgeable about football, but for the life of me I cannot understand that decision.
    Get the field goal, defence would stop Calgary in the next possession, get the ball back and the offence would score the winning touchdown.

Fire Jason Maas into the sun. Its about all there is to say really.

We gambled a few times during the course of the game on third downs and won... then at the end with the biggest play at hand and the clocking ticking down he opts for a field goal to bring us within 4?

Boneheaded decision indeed.
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

Nice try Esks.
    Yeah SDM you got your wish, well half of it. hahahaha enjoy your Grey Cup. We'll take Reilly in Regina. That clown you have as a coach in Edmonton is clueless. What's also sad is NO ONE on his staff or in the press box had the nuts to say something to him. Or call a time out if you have one and have a discussion. We won't know if that was suggested but it's not apparent. Tells me a lot about the dictatorship. ***** on Chris Jones all you want, there's a reason all his staff left with him and came with him from Toronto prior to Edmonton.
    Through the years I've worked with, for, several Ex Eskimos and none of them have anything good to say about the running of the org the last dozen or so years. We lose Jones, we Fire Hervey, we retain pure dolts like Maas and with Rhodes Scholar at the helm of the org, the biggest ***** of them all. Have "faith" Esks fans, its all we got with these idiots in charge.

Damn the audacity of Rhodes Scholar to actually state that "Theres more to football than winning" Well, theres more to prosports than kicking paying fans in the nuts with debacles like this.

if the Eskimos are now in the business of handing away Western Final results due to incumbent idiocy I wonder how many people hand away their STH. Attendance will be worse than anytime since Clarke Stadium next season.
    Last edited by Replacement; Today at 10:51 AM.

An ill wind for Sean Whyte - having to kick twice into the wind.

But, in the end, terrible, awful, amateur call by Maas at the end. He needs to own up to it. If he's saying they had a time out, why didn't he use it?

Also think it's time for the Eskies and Mike Benevides to part ways. Our defense against the rush is, well, offensive - has been all year.

Final point - again on Maas, though I think he's a keeper - what's the point of a no huddle offense if you take all 25 seconds lining up and barking out play selections anyway. Need some quick snaps in there from time to time.
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Odd call indeed, although M.R. would have taken them down for a score if hands mcterrible didn't think about running it back before the ball was secure.

No chance.

Game was lost at that point.

But yeah, ol' Jamill looked like a real pro on that one.

NFL material.

An ill wind for Sean Whyte - having to kick twice into the wind.

But, in the end, terrible, awful, amateur call by Maas at the end. He needs to own up to it. If he's saying they had a time out, why didn't he use it?

Also think it's time for the Eskies and Mike Benevides to part ways. Our defense against the rush is, well, offensive - has been all year.

Final point - again on Maas, though I think he's a keeper - what's the point of a no huddle offense if you take all 25 seconds lining up and barking out play selections anyway. Need some quick snaps in there from time to time.
    WE don't have the linebackers to stop the run. We have nobody strong enough in the back end to handle someone like Messam. Grymes couldn't tackle him 5 times yesterday, neither could ladler. The Esks have lost a lot of good linebackers over the years to the NFL and haven't been able to replace guys like Lacey or McCoil who could wrap up anybody in the league. Grymes has good speed, and with momentum can lay out hellacious hits but frankly when Messam runs into Grymes its over.

Not being able to stop the run was largely a personnel issue. Any RB gets through our front line and its nonstop trouble, nobody in the backfield that can bring down the tanks. That's been the story all year. Sherritt isn't the answer either but he's better at surviving power backs than Grymes or Ladler are. Grymes really had a hopeless playoff outing yesterday and Ladler was out of focus after he the stamps didn't get a holding call on a TD run.

Stamps have stronger guys like Singleton/Hughes hunting everything down. Stamps D is much better than ours in every facet. Meanwhile our D front had a pretty weak outing and were not even a factor only getting to Bo Mitchell once and not being significant either in stopping the run or adjusting to screens.

Ultimately our weak D was the reason we weren't leading much of this game.

Oh for gods sake, the esks made it to the semi finals, of course we could have won..

GO TORONTO!!! Cowton stop blathering on about our game

With or without a field goal, the Eskimos needed a touchdown in order to win that game. They were in position to score one, but decided to kick a field goal hoping to score a touchdown in the dying seconds instead?

Nobody would fault the coach if the offense failed to get the touchdown on a gamble. But they didn't even try to win. That play call should cost him his job.

With or without a field goal, the Eskimos needed a touchdown in order to win that game. They were in position to score one, but decided to kick a field goal hoping to score a touchdown in the dying seconds instead?

Nobody would fault the coach if the offense failed to get the touchdown on a gamble. But they didn't even try to win. That play call should cost him his job.
    Exactly!!

The Eskimos have a good defensive line and secondary. They've been weak at linebacker all year since Sherritt went down to injury in the first game (then had 4-5 guys at that position get hurt after that). They need to scout and sign a couple of killers to anchor their linebacking for next season.

3rd and 4 on the Calgary 13 yard line.

The worse that can happen is Eskimos lose the ball on downs and Calgary starts at their own 13 yard line.

That's when a coach has faith on his defence to stop Calgary and force them to punt.

Simple! Canadian football coaching 101.

Right on boyz !

Next Sunday Top_Dawg's watching Cowtown vs. Hogtown at The Gas Pump.

It was a brain cramp for sure. Saying he doesn't regret it makes it worse.

But you have to assume a lot to think it cost the team the game. A team that put up 1 point in two quarters and couldn't stop the run, was no lock to do anything.

Once the Stampeders banged off the rust from sitting for weeks they were clearly the better team. Some of the lack of respect out of Edmonton (and in the media) for a team that effectively locked up first months ago was a little galling, like debating which team out of the East you'd rather face, as if the Stamps Western Final game, at home, was a foregone conclusion.

Maybe it's time to admit the Eskimos played a really good team that's been really good for a long time.

A bad call by Maas didn't lose the game. Neither did the fumble. Roy Finch, Jerome Messam, plus the Stampeders run defence and man-on-man secondary won the game. Bo Levi Mitchell played solid, and it appears his arm has healed. Marquay McDaniel was as reliable as always. Hell, even right tackle Dan Federkeil caught a pass for a 16 yard gain.

Calgary played well. It wasn't as close as the score indicated.
    Last edited by Jimbo; Today at 06:08 PM.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234