Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Edmonton Eskimos 2017 Season

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    This must be today's iteration of the ol' Cornhole Gang from years ago.
    The Family Huddle tickets have been going on for over a dozen years. First it was Sobeys/IGA and now its through Save on. Its how we've been going for years. I don't much care where we sit, and I'm fine with sitting in a no booze section. For Riders games particularly you avoid a lot of problems not sitting in the booze sections.

We'll probably go on Friday. They often hand out K Days tickets as well if you attend the sole Esks game that occurs during K days. So its a twofer if people want it, plus park and ride complimentary too and from the game.

Its great value. Promises to be a great game as well and one of the better matchups. This to stay in first place.
    Last edited by Replacement; 24-07-2017 at 12:56 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Well the Knothole Gang, but we know where you're coming from.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E Hard Core Contributor

The "Huddle" tickets have been going on since at least the early 90's. First it was the Safeway Family Huddle and tickets were $5.99. I recall guys on my hockey team talking about their $54 season's tickets. They were too cheap then but I think they've gone a bit too far now and could offer something for $20.

Huh. I always assumed the "no booze' sections are the ones that were always empty.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Huh. I always assumed the "no booze' sections are the ones that were always empty.
    I haven't gone as much but they're hardly empty when I go. At times they are so popular it gets harder finding a seat in the sections. The Family Huddle sections are GA, and only in the demarked sections.

The sections that are more empty are some of those adjacent to the Family Huddle sections. Why would somebody pay a lot more for tickets to a section just a seat over from the Family Huddle area. That said the Esks pricing points have been reevaluated and some of the available seats seem to have come down in price so that theres less of a discrepancy.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I'd rather C2E than work!

Inside domestic libations go unchecked even in the gimp section.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

https://twitter.com/EdmontonEsks/sta...03174855196673

Free entry to K-Days on Saturday with your Esks ticket.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^Yup, as I had mentioned in above post attending an Esks game during Kdays gets you a free K days ticket. Value 18bucks PLUS ETS shuttle ride transportation to and from game value $6.50. You get this even with the 28.50 Family Huddle tickets from Save On. So that arguably the game itself is costing 4bucks. Quite the value.

I'll add that K Days this year has better free entertainment. They got the Lumberjacks back which is better than not having them. The trampoline act was quite entertaining. WE also enjoyed the Pow Wow competition in the Agricom. Was quite an experience and on the day more enjoyable in 30C whether than seeing this outside in the asphalt bouncing heat. No fireworks yesterday though quite the light show from mother nature. I should mention taking ETS also avoids the 15-20buck parking cost in the area.
    Last edited by Replacement; 28-07-2017 at 10:50 AM.

C2E Posting Power

Lots of promotions going on, should be quite the crowd tonight.

Its me and my TV on the couch with a bowl of cheese doodles and copious amounts of diet cola. Life is good.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Great game, loud crowd, great atmosphere. Place was exciting and electric from the start, club lit it up early scoring a TD in the first 2mins.

But what was witnessed last night was a heroic gutted out victory with the Esks having none of their first 3 starting RB's (all injured, with Van injured last night) meaning that McCarty had to take all the runs, Zylstra had to do kick returns, and the Esks also lost Whyte so that they had no healthy kicker for the 2nd half meaning the Esks were HAVING to gamble on almost every 3rd down. Even the holder for kicks, who is the emergency backup kicker got injured, and Willis ended up doing the last kickoff. Seeing Reilly and the Eskimos start each drive in their own zone knowing that they HAD to get field position every drive was incredible. You could see the urgency in the huddle. Knowing that EVERY drive the game was depending on them. With Reilly delivering a heroic 414 pinpoint yds against one of the best D's in the league and the receivers having fantastic performances with 3 of them hitting for over 100yds. This, for perspective is with the team playing without Adarius Bowman(injured) and Derrel Walker (NFL)
    My only worry on the Receiver front is Zylstra getting so good that he may still attract some NFL attention. A sure handed receiver with punishing YAC ability. He's a tank out there. I said he would be special last season when I first laid eyes on this horse. A thoroughbred. Reilly to Zylstra could go down as a pairing for the ages if Brandon remains with the Esks longterm.

That the Esks managed to win this game is incredible. Like nothing I've seen. That they won with a margin and were 3 scores up until late is miraculous. What a performance. People at this game will be remembering it forever.

One of only 5 times in history the Esks have started a season 5-0.
    Last edited by Replacement; 29-07-2017 at 11:41 AM.

I know he has Parkinson's but is this Dwayne Mandrusiak last year with the Esks?
    Last edited by envaneo; 29-07-2017 at 12:24 PM.

I don't know what games you were going to back then.

C2E Posting Power

Booked my NFL tour this year...doing the West side this year. Last 2 years did the east coast. Cards/49'ers, Chiefs/Reskins (Monday after the Cards game) - red eyeing it to KC (never been there before - excited for some tailgate BBQ), Hawks/Rams - the week after at the Coliseum - surprisingly the cheapest tix....guess because it holds 60,000+

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    Booked my NFL tour this year...doing the West side this year. Last 2 years did the east coast. Cards/49'ers, Chiefs/Reskins (Monday after the Cards game) - red eyeing it to KC (never been there before - excited for some tailgate BBQ), Hawks/Rams - the week after at the Coliseum - surprisingly the cheapest tix....guess because it holds 60,000+

Who cares, this is an Eskimo thread

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
    What Top_Dawg was referring to was known as the "Knothole Gang" a good explanation of which is found here....
    https://www.esks.com/2013/02/23/grow...knothole-gang/

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post

Thanks, screw the NFL.

Does the NFL get the same kind of 2 & outs as the CFL? or I should say NFL 3 and outs?

I doubt they would because they have more opportunity to not be in third down position, third downs could more likely be closer to the first down line, the field is shorter and there are probably less plays per game.

^ That's true for the most part but because they have 4 downs instead of 3 like we do, there's more chances for more plays. Also, one would think there are more turnovers in the NFL because of the shorter field.

Quote Originally Posted by edTel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
    What Top_Dawg was referring to was known as the "Knothole Gang" a good explanation of which is found here....
    https://www.esks.com/2013/02/23/grow...knothole-gang/
    I know that. I sat in the Knothole Gang in Clarke. It was sarcasm.

1 video review per team/game. Love it.Thanks Randy!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    1 video review per team/game. Love it.Thanks Randy!
    At least the league is being more adaptable. This is far better than the "we'll review it in the offseason approach. The last thing I want when watching a football game is a random interspersed game of Jeopardy where desperate coaches pick random plays to review seemingly constantly.

Next get rid of the whole mic'ed players thing. Who cares. Willis is interesting, Reilly is interesting, not many are comment wise.

1 video review per team/game.
    Thank goodness.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Thanks, screw the NFL.
    Should get out there and see the world....never been an NFL game I reckon....rather a neat experience. Blows the CFL experience away by a million miles......

Football is a religion in the USA. Every game is like a Canadian team NHL playoff game.

It's not nearly as popular in Canada, but every football fan I know follows the CFL and (to some degree) the NFL.

Despite taking tons of awful penalties and turning the ball over twice in the final 2 minutes, the Eskies win again, 33 to 28.

And unbelievably the injuries keep piling up - Eskimos lost another linebacker, another offensive lineman, and Brandon Zylstra all in the 1st half. Just nuts!!! Full points to the organization for finding a lot of depth players, because despite it all the Esks are off to their first 6-0 start in ages.

What a game. If that ball was caught it would have been 5-1.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I can't find any info on the Zylstra injury. Just nuts how many Esks are injured. The game was tough to watch because it felt again so much like fate was conspiring against the Esks (anybody remember last years tilt that we lost against the Ticats after having a huge lead?)

It seemed like the Esks were dominating every aspect, had enormous edge in first downs, Time of possession etc. But somehow Hamilton was in it. Also you can't fumble the ball there on your 15 yd line with 2mins left. That just can't happen.

Aside from that very frustrating officiating as usual. The Esks have to burn their challenge early on an obvious PI call. Then went an entire game watching bizarre missed calls including a vicious helmet to helmet shot on Reilly that the officials somehow missed. On another play Reilly was also hit below the knee. That's supposed to be automatically called. Yet they penalize the Esks on a borderline roughing the passer call on simple followthrough.

Similarly the Esks get called for holding multiple times while the Cats are holding the Esks front 4 all day. Just absolutely riduclous the holding the Cats were getting away with. Then two plays reviewed by command center that ended up being late calls that extended Ticats drives. I had a strong suspicion in this one that the league would try to keep this game close after Ticats got blown out by Calgary. Very frustrating game to watch. The whole game I'm thinking it doesn't matter what the Esks do, somehow the game will come down to the last play.

i really like the rule change that limits challenges to 1 per team. Good way to ensure the flow of the games do not slow down to a crawl. Overall the CFL is providing good competitive games this year, fun to watch.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

i really like the rule change that limits challenges to 1 per team. Good way to ensure the flow of the games do not slow down to a crawl. Overall the CFL is providing good competitive games this year, fun to watch.
    While I agree, the league still finds ways for things to be interminably slow. The game took well in excess of 3hrs to play. In one sequence the officials are awaiting a spot review from command center on forward progress. They don`t measure until they hear the news on the reviewed spot which ends up confirming the spot on the field which they then get the chains out and measure. 3mins elapse waiting for a call on a 3rd down gamble.

At the end of the game it got to NBA levels of absurdity with first the Esks having the wrong cover on the field and call timeout, then Ticats are missing a man and call timeout, then officials are oddly confused and scrambling around the field further delaying the 3rd down gamble (the game on the line with 2secs left) and then all that for not as the play ensues and well after the play a late flag is thrown thereby giving the Ticats a 2nd chance to win. They flub that as well but of course a challenge is called and they have a delay while they note that Ticats have no time out left and thus no challenge. The last 2 secs of the game took 5mins of nail biting to play. The fans in the stands were loudly booing all the delays and especially given how the last 2 secs all unfolded.

Heres an idea, not sure why this isn`t done. A team is given one challenge flag (to the head coach and thus only he can challenge) the flag, when tossed, is picked up by the official and not returned. Removes any confusion, or false start challenges such as last night where everybody in attendance is booing about the endless delays while the Ticats are told they have no challenges left. Not sure how there was any confusion either as they had just called their time out.
    Last edited by Replacement; 05-08-2017 at 10:54 AM.

We have THE best QB in the league!!!

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Agree

I can see how the challenge confusion can take place. It seems to me that the scorekeeper at Commonwealth is very poor at tracking time outs and marking them appropriately on the scoreboard. They are so late at correcting the amount of time outs remaining that undoubtedly Shovelface looked at the scoreboard and thought he had a timeout left even though he had just used it.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^This would be impossible. He had used the timeout on the previous play. How could he not know.

He knew well he had none left, he was trying to get away with it. Most of the fans in attendance detected this and were literally screaming obscenities. Probably because half of them figured the CFL would manage to botch this up and not keep track either.

We know full well if it had gone to review the CFL has a 50/50 chance of getting the call wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Agree

With a really great crowd!

The game took well in excess of 3hrs to play.

That game featured a lot of injuries (for both teams), and when that wasn't slowing down the game, the Esks took a ton of penalties.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The game took well in excess of 3hrs to play.

That game featured a lot of injuries (for both teams), and when that wasn't slowing down the game, the Esks took a ton of penalties.
    The Esks were given a lot of penalties. Meanwhile the Ticats infracting on nearly every play. They were holding our front 4 all game. As per usual the dirtiest club in the league gets away with headshot to Reilly and a submarine hit as well.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

7!!! ah-ah-ah-ah-ah!

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Long Term Contributor

Grinded it out!
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Reilly looked great as always, our depth is pretty amazing, especially at receiving.

The receivers have really done an amazing job this year. Reilly didn't even miss having Bowman and Zylstra out of the line up last night. Every game a different guy steps up to help lead the offense.

The offensive line has done great as well - they have guys playing out of position to fill in for injures to Sorensen, Groulx, Rottier, and their long snapper, but are still protecting Reilly and opening up holes for the running game.

The receivers have really done an amazing job this year. Reilly didn't even miss having Bowman and Zylstra out of the line up last night. Every game a different guy steps up to help lead the offense.

The offensive line has done great as well - they have guys playing out of position to fill in for injures to Sorensen, Groulx, Rottier, and their long snapper, but are still protecting Reilly and opening up holes for the running game.
    Had three imports on the line in Ottawa, which might not be feasible once some of our American receivers come back - well in fact won't be.

Still, O-line has done a good job all year and what's that I'm seeing(?) - a legit running game?
    ... gobsmacked

Props to the Esks' coaching staff - their running game is really good considering the key injuries to their offensive line and their running back for the last couple of games is the 3rd guy on the depth chart.

This team, even with all the injuries, are still going, like a well oiled machine

The downside is this amazing run lowers the Proline odds for the Esks to win=low pay outs.

C2E SME

Darn! I think injuries caught up to the Eskimos tonight.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

All the injuries caught up with the Esks and Bomber offense was just to much to handle.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Injuries, Bombers, officials, and playing on the road and second road game in a row and an early Thursday start as well. CFL basically gifting this one to Winnipeg. Some of the calls were bizarre including the hits on Reilly on a play that was whistled down before scrimmage and with the Esks actually getting the unsportsmanlike call after Reilly was gang tackled on a non play.

Another where a bomber receiver is seen straight arming a defender away, pushing him away, and the DB gets the PI call. lol.

Its frustrating though that the injuries are dictating so much of what the Esks can and can not do on the field and also that the EC is so pathetic that the Esks were 7-0 heading into the match and still in a dogfight for playoff positions. Meanwhile 5-6 wins in a season will get you a playoff spot in the East. Just pathetic and its like this almost every season. ANY WC team that crosses over will have more pts than the first place EC club and will play all playoff games on the road on the basis of being crossover.

The number of key injuries this team has is almost comical now. For crying out loud they have 4th a string linebacker in a starting position.

And I think until the Eskimos get some of those linebackers healthy and playing again, they will be vulnerable to teams with a good running game.

Granted officiating sucked but our kicker wasn't that great either.

Well at least the Esks will be Home next game.

I hope the Esks stomp Saskatchewan real good.

Almost every time the Riders are in town it feels like a road game here for the Home team.

I love it when they play Saskatchewan, the fans for both teams are great!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Even in a loss Reilly heroism noted. Here he is throwing all day to recievers that would be something like 5-10 on the depth chart of starting recievers and he blames himself for playing terrible in a close loss and game in which he took the Eskimos to within a TD multiple times. Plays where he was all but sacked and still managed to make plays. A game in which he simply refused to accept loss (like all the others).

So Reilly does nothing but hold the Eskimos head high and deserving of respect with about 20 starters missing from the lineup. Just incredible that he almost pulled it out. On the road.

I harken back years ago to the game that gave me a different glimpse of Ricky Ray. Homefield and the Esks without Vaughn, Tucker, Hervey. Ray plays horrendous. Gets sacked, throws balls out of bounds, misses targets all over, and has no semblance of leadership in the game and even appears to give up in the 2nd quarter. He was booed off the field repeatedly in that game. The most disgusting QB performance I had ever witnessed. The Esks lost 36-1 at the hands of the BC Lions. Online fans at the time said it would be impossible for Ray to establish anything at all without his top 3 receivers.

Well FF to Reilly's performance here most of the season. No Walker, No Bowman, No Zylstra, not even Hazelton. Plus no White or Van coming out of the backfield. Its absolutely amazing what Reilly has been able to accomplish. But he blames himself for the loss. ftr in the 36-1 loss Ray blamed missing his starting receivers.

I'll pick a fighter everytime.
    Last edited by Replacement; 19-08-2017 at 12:19 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

A random but interesting blast from the past.

Its 1982, the 5th GC year of an unmatched epic 5 in a row GC run. The Eskimos are a dominant squad. hardly ever lose.

Lots of information from that or any Esks season. Quite interesting to look at.

https://stats.cfldb.ca/team/edmonton-eskimos/1982/

Of fan interest the Esks attendance averaged 58K that season and people look at me as if I'm crazy when I cite that. 8/9 games that season the Esks home games exceeded the attendance for the GC in Toronto that season (54K)

Indeed the Esks had 9 of the top attendance counts in the league that season.

That was the halcyon moment that season for attendance at Commonwealth. This really resulted in Edmonton being in the big leagues. those figures made some noise in the NFL as well as attracted many subsequent acts to tour here at Commonwealth including Bowie Serious Moonlight Tour a year later. The most illustrious and top selling tour of the time. Those were huge times for this City.
    Last edited by Replacement; 19-08-2017 at 01:34 PM.

^ Great info Replacement. Is there a web page that has CFL attendance records for this and previous years?

That'd be interesting to take a look at. I tried looking around but came up empty.

Thanks

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Great info Replacement. Is there a web page that has CFL attendance records for this and previous years?

That'd be interesting to take a look at. I tried looking around but came up empty.

Thanks
    The CFL database site is amazing. I love looking at numbers like this. You can basically find a synopsis of almost any game played. Or at least a boxscore.

To get results of other teams or CFL in general just click on "CFL main page" at the top. I love that they have all the data, all those decades.

Warning though is you could spend countless hours looking at this stuff.

As far as attendance records they have year by year highest attendance figures.

Heres the Esks alltime attendance page;

https://stats.cfldb.ca/team/edmonton...os/attendance/

As one can see 1982 was really an outlier. They had expanded Commonwealth capacity at the time and demand was high for a best of alltime club. People sensed it as well. That this was the best team ever. That they would ever see in Football here. I guess the Oilers stole the thunder in the subsequent remainder of the decade. But the Esks at one time, for a longtime, were "it" in this city.

There are some quirks though in the DB and lists. For instance in the list above the 2010 GC in Edmonton is not included. Its the top attendance and well over 63K. I went to that one and the 2002 Cup here.
    Last edited by Replacement; 19-08-2017 at 02:42 PM.

Of fan interest the Esks attendance averaged 58K that season and people look at me as if I'm crazy when I cite that.
    Yeah, they had something like 52,000 season ticket holders. And only a few years before that, Montreal was packing 70,000+ into Olympic Stadium for Alouettes games.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^Deserves to be said the ALS attendance was mostly related to the Big Owe, to people checking it out, liking it for awhile and for that moment in time it was an In place to be in Montreal. That didn't last long. Ditto Skydome bulge in attendance in Toronto and BC boom in attendance at BC Place.

In contrast the Esks astounding attendance average in 1982 was not in response to a new stadium, this was the 5th season in the new Stadium, and to add the average was only 1k off the Montreal average the one year. With Montreal having several times the population to draw from at the time.

Add to this that the Eskimos are the only franchise that has consistently had among the leagues highest attendance and that has been a net contributor to the league finances. While Montreal, Ottawa went bust, Argos flounder with attendance, etc.

Even in a loss Reilly heroism noted. Here he is throwing all day to recievers that would be something like 5-10 on the depth chart of starting recievers and he blames himself for playing terrible in a close loss and game in which he took the Eskimos to within a TD multiple times. Plays where he was all but sacked and still managed to make plays. A game in which he simply refused to accept loss (like all the others).

So Reilly does nothing but hold the Eskimos head high and deserving of respect with about 20 starters missing from the lineup. Just incredible that he almost pulled it out. On the road.

I harken back years ago to the game that gave me a different glimpse of Ricky Ray. Homefield and the Esks without Vaughn, Tucker, Hervey. Ray plays horrendous. Gets sacked, throws balls out of bounds, misses targets all over, and has no semblance of leadership in the game and even appears to give up in the 2nd quarter. He was booed off the field repeatedly in that game. The most disgusting QB performance I had ever witnessed. The Esks lost 36-1 at the hands of the BC Lions. Online fans at the time said it would be impossible for Ray to establish anything at all without his top 3 receivers.

Well FF to Reilly's performance here most of the season. No Walker, No Bowman, No Zylstra, not even Hazelton. Plus no White or Van coming out of the backfield. Its absolutely amazing what Reilly has been able to accomplish. But he blames himself for the loss. ftr in the 36-1 loss Ray blamed missing his starting receivers.

I'll pick a fighter everytime.

This is such a sad comment to see you making Edit King. Pathetic really.

Not sure why you have to insult players while you drool on about your heros. It is fair to say that the talent on this years Eskimo team is far better than what they had in 2011. Here are the receivers that the future half gamer Ricky Ray was throwing to on that August day: Prechae Rodriguez, Dobson Collins, Ryan Grice-Mullen, Chris Bauman and Andrew Nowacki. Mike Reilly still had Duke Williams (who made some outstanding catches), Bryant Mitchell and Kenny Stafford among his receivers.

The interception that Reilly threw near the end of the first half likely cost the Eskimos the game.

Eric Sitterhands was the GM of the Eskimos at the time of the debacle against BC. His reign of error so a continual erosion of talent and the results bare that out.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

BS Reilly had Getzlaf who dropped two easy catches, Williams who spiked one ball up that was very nearly an interception, and Kenny Stafford who hasn't yet established any pro consistency anywhere he has played.

On at least 3 plays Reillys receivers were badly beaten on plays allowing DB's to get inside them. Including the pick you speak of. Kind of specious as well to critique Reilly on interceptions when he rarely throws them. I could say pathetic of you to specifically cite that.

Reilly also, effectively, had no Running back in Thursdays game. Hardly even the option of a running game.

If you were at the 36-1 game you know that I'm not isolated imo of what occurred that day. Ray faced adversity and flat out gave up that day. He was booed repeatedly for 3 quarters after every two and out where he wasn't even trying to establish anything out there. In front of a home crowd.

You won't heed this but in the same game that Ray was pathetic in Kerry Joseph managed to be 8/11 passing for 120yds (with the same receivers) after Ray was ignominiously pulled. Ray was a pathetic 11/19 for 81yds and 3 Ints. Ray played 3 Quarters of the game and ended up with less yds. An average of just over 4yds a pass. lol.

I said at the time it was only a matter of time after that for the highest paid player in the league to be done here. I wanted him gone from that point. Ray wasn't worth it contractually.

Ray was a very good QB earlier on in his career but he got complacent and he got reluctant to take hits to make plays. By 2011 there were holes in his game.
    Last edited by Replacement; 20-08-2017 at 12:14 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Eskimos pick up John Chick for a pick to shore up the D. I like the move.

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/08/20/eskimo...e-with-ticats/

The backstory is that Chick, a consummate pro and heart and soul competitor was one of the Ticats who was disgusted with where the Ticats were headed. There had been ample clashes with coaches on that staff and a team literally falling apart.

Chick is a good guy though and good to see him out of there, and here, to end his career.

The bad news is that getting Chick likely means some of the Esks injuries are worse than disclosed.

BS Reilly had Getzlaf who dropped two easy catches, Williams who spiked one ball up that was very nearly an interception, and Kenny Stafford who hasn't yet established any pro consistency anywhere he has played.

On at least 3 plays Reillys receivers were badly beaten on plays allowing DB's to get inside them. Including the pick you speak of. Kind of specious as well to critique Reilly on interceptions when he rarely throws them. I could say pathetic of you to specifically cite that.

Reilly also, effectively, had no Running back in Thursdays game. Hardly even the option of a running game.

If you were at the 36-1 game you know that I'm not isolated imo of what occurred that day. Ray faced adversity and flat out gave up that day. He was booed repeatedly for 3 quarters after every two and out where he wasn't even trying to establish anything out there. In front of a home crowd.

You won't heed this but in the same game that Ray was pathetic in Kerry Joseph managed to be 8/11 passing for 120yds (with the same receivers) after Ray was ignominiously pulled. Ray was a pathetic 11/19 for 81yds and 3 Ints. Ray played 3 Quarters of the game and ended up with less yds. An average of just over 4yds a pass. lol.

I said at the time it was only a matter of time after that for the highest paid player in the league to be done here. I wanted him gone from that point. Ray wasn't worth it contractually.

Ray was a very good QB earlier on in his career but he got complacent and he got reluctant to take hits to make plays. By 2011 there were holes in his game.
    So it is all the receivers fault. Yes, BS. I cited the interception because it was a major turning point and as you might note resulted in a touchdown that was the margin of victory for the Bombers.

Ladarius Perkins had nine carries for 49 yards and a 5.4 yard average.. You could argue that the Eskimos did not run the ball enough.

Kerry Joseph was playing in what is called garbage time. 4 yards a pass. Nice math. Maybe you should try that one again.

Complacent! Ha. He only left here to lead his team to a Grey Cup victory one year later. Who did we have quarterbacking us the next year? Steven "freaking" Jyles. Who averaged a whopping 176 yards passing a game.

2011 Eskimo record 11 - 7 tied for first in the west (finishing second)
    2012 Eskimo record 7 - 11 finished fourth in the west. Played in the crossover and lost to Ricky Ray's Argos 42 - 26.
    2013 Eskimo record 4 - 14 finishing last in the west (surprise)! This was Mike Reilly's first year with the Esks.

I am as happy as anyone that Mike Reilly is our quarterback. Just don't know why you have to insist on trashing someone who has a bad game on a team with obviously less talent than this one to prove your man crush on another player.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Because as stated Ray was milking his time here and earning the top pay in the CFL. That's not going to help a club win games in a low cap league. For that pay Ray brought a fraction of the compete level that Reilly shows in every single game. Ray was/is consummately talented and gifted with an arm that could be said to be NFL calibre. He's immensely talented, obviously, but he was cutting corners the last several years here in terms of compete level and making a difference. The one GC he got in Toronto was after he got his *** kicked by the trade. He rose up to prove himself after being ****** about the trade. Good players do that and are capable of that. I don't think he's done a whole lot on a consistent basis in Toronto. Nor do I think fans there have consistently taken to him there either. Indeed they see the same thing there that I was seeing here. That on any given day you don't know what Ray you are getting, which one will show up. I got tired of looking at a guy that was a world beater in one game and losing to the worst clubs in the league in others. Ray is doing the same thing to this day. On fire in the latest game but you pretty much know in other games he'll be a no show. That's unfortunately been his legacy. Hit for 500yds one game and look ugly in the next.

As for Reilly the interception at the end of the half was mainly due to his competitive desire. He was trying to force one through, trying to establish some more before the first half because he knew his team needed something to build on. It wasn't that pass that lost the game and Reilly was one of the few reasons this team was in it, or was 7-0. That you take one bad decision and retroactively state it "was the margin of victory" ignores that without Reilly in there this game wasn't even close.

As to the record that is asinine. Ray has had some horrible seasons with the Argos and had multiple losing seasons here as well. That is a SPECIOUS look at Win/loss record and you know it. Hey, if you feel I'm saying things that are tasteless in critiquing the latter Ray that we had here than at least respond with more coherent reply. You don't get to call me out by talking unsubstantiated ****.
    To that end heres some more W/L records since you brought that up as a supposedly telling stat;

Ray since being in Toronto has fronted a team that is not even close to being one of the better teams in the league. That club has been sub .500 playing even in the weak kneed Eastern division and with a weighted schedule where they get to load up against those weak clubs more. Additionally one can finish .500 as the argos did in 2012 and still get home field advantage and win the GC. It doesn't take a lot to make the playoffs or to get a good seed in the East. Since Ray has been an Argo the club has 47W 52L. Against mostly weak opponents. Not exactly a startling record.

As for Reilly if you are even remotely a fan that watches games you know the first Reilly year here was a season in which the team really looked like closer to a .500 club but was losing close games, getting some brutal results, and just as if often the case a team not yet knowing how to win that was coming up short. For instance despite the record that season the Esks were in a lot of games. The pts differential through the season was -98 meaning an average of just over 5pts/game that the club was losing by. For a 4-14 club thats a rarity. In contrast the worst club, the Bombers were miles worse despite the similar record and had a score differential of -224. Meaning that almost all of their games they were blow outs. The bombers were losing the average game by over two scores.

In anycase post 2013 circa Reilly's Eskimos have put up an impressive string of 43W 21L and a dominant football club playing in a much tougher division. Had the Esks been in the EC all those years one would think the record would look even better.

Finally, and just because I don't know what you are on about Ray, in the infamous game in question passed for 81yds in 19 passing attempts while throwing 3 interceptions. That equates to an average gain of just over 4yds on the passing attempts while engaging in high risk play as his passes were horrible on the day. He had Messam in the backfield ftr. He had McCarty who is reliable catching the ball and running and is a hard working horse if you just get the ball to him. Interestingly you call out Rodrigues even though he had a 1000yd season in the CFL. You call out Bauman even though he had been a reliable and hard working non import possession receiver in Hamilton. You state it as if Ray had nobody to get the ball to on the day.
    Last edited by Replacement; 21-08-2017 at 06:49 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Next. People still upset with the Ray trade after all these years don't understand the nature of a small cap league. Ray was taking up an inordinate amount of the Eskimos cap and was the highest paid player in the CFL. For that he should have been putting up Doug Flutie like results. All Ray was putting up was passing yds. He wasn't even particularly effective in the red zone. The Eskimos weren't going anywhere with a player going through the motions eating up so much of their cap.

As I always stated the Ray deal was a cap dump. Obviously it was a take the pain decision so that the club had player cash available and could rebuild and recruit new players. This allowed the Esks to bolster their lineup, obtain players like Reilly, Willis and have a deeper lineup which they have had the last few seasons. There can be no doubt that the Eskimos are a much better club for this decision and that its been ultimately, a positive, and needed decision for the club.

Ray was a great QB when he first played here. Good enough to get an NFL look. But aside from yds passing he wasn't being a great QB his last half dozen years here. He wasn't being a difference maker and his play wasn't commensurate with his pay.

Lets not forget the Eskimos won a GC since without Ray, and have been a fantastic club now for years, without Ray. I'll take it.

The Argos can have Ray, I'm more than fine with the life of Reilly. I'd have a Reilly over a Ray any day of the week on my team. For sure I enjoy watching a Reilly led team a lot more.
    Last edited by Replacement; 21-08-2017 at 06:58 AM.

Chris Bauman reliable! Hilarious.

The Eskimo record since 2013 is impressive and it isn't because of one player as you seem to think. It is do to the structure that Ed Hervey put in place and the tremendous rebuild of talent that occurred in his tenure. We had Argo level talent here before the BOD canned Eric Sitterhands.

The Ray trade was not a cap dump. It was a trade to make Eric Sitterhands the face of the franchise. We had no skill at all at the most important position on the field. It was only corrected when Ed Hervey was put in place. Mike Reilly is making the same money that Ray made and yet here we are miles ahead of what we had in 2011 and 12 in terms of talent.

Interesting that you mention red zone efficiency as an argument against Ray when we are currently suffering from red zone efficiency.

Anyway I know you need to have your whipping boys so I will leave you to it .

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Another superficial reply. Having not even read my posts.

Does it EVER occur to you that the cap dump of RR has allowed the Esks to recruit better players and have better positional depth?

But apparently citing names like Eric Sitterhands, whipping boys (while dumping on a good Canadian lad in Chris Bauman who has caught up to 50 catches in a season while being a non import and who was a top Canadian player) is your idea of valid reply. So in other words you think its fine to have whipping boys, just not the same ones. Thanks for the consistency hypocrite.

lol at current Red Zone efficiency.

Yeah, I imagine that could be a problem when our first 3 RB's are injured and our top 4 recievers are injured. Imagine that. Somebody blame Mike Reilly. (sarcasm)

Before you go if you could disclose who you post as on hfOilers albeit I'm already narrowing it down.
    Last edited by Replacement; 21-08-2017 at 08:03 AM.

So Eskimo's signed a all star player recently...hmm.

Another superficial reply. Having not even read my posts.

Does it EVER occur to you that the cap dump of RR has allowed the Esks to recruit better players and have better positional depth?

But apparently citing names like Eric Sitterhands, whipping boys (while dumping on a good Canadian lad in Chris Bauman who has caught up to 50 catches in a season while being a non import and who was a top Canadian player) is your idea of valid reply. So in other words you think its fine to have whipping boys, just not the same ones. Thanks for the consistency hypocrite.

lol at current Red Zone efficiency.

Yeah, I imagine that could be a problem when our first 3 RB's are injured and our top 4 recievers are injured. Imagine that. Somebody blame Mike Reilly. (sarcasm)

Before you go if you could disclose who you post as on hfOilers albeit I'm already narrowing it down.

Mike Reilly is making the same money that Ricky Ray was and the cap has barely budged. How are we getting the better depth we have now when Reilly is making this kind of money? The answer is we have better recruiting and better management. I think Mike Reilly is worth every penny he gets paid. The Ray cap dump argument you are putting forward is SPECIOUS.

Chris Bauman has 63 career receptions. Can you point out the year he had 50 catches?

Who was blaming Mike Reilly for our red zone inefficiency? I imaging that since the Eskimos had scoring issues in the Ricky Ray era and you attribute that all to Ricky Ray you are assuming that I think a lack of scoring is all the quarterbacks fault. Which I do not.

Eric Tillman did more to destroy the Eskimos in his time here than anyone in the last 45 years. His record proves it.

If you could perhaps make your point efficiently your posts wouldn't drag on so painfully. More editing is in order.

Do you think I could be StoneHands 89?

A great addition.

Getting Almondo Sewell back into the line up is critical to the defence.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post

Mike Reilly is making the same money that Ricky Ray was and the cap has barely budged. How are we getting the better depth we have now when Reilly is making this kind of money? The answer is we have better recruiting and better management. I think Mike Reilly is worth every penny he gets paid. The Ray cap dump argument you are putting forward is SPECIOUS.

Chris Bauman has 63 career receptions. Can you point out the year he had 50 catches?
    More reasonable reply and at least something to respond to. Your stats must be broken. Bauman had 48 catches and nearly 600yds in 2008. That was as a young player and that's very good for a young Canadian. He had 141 career receptions, not bad for his limited use and being a non import. Not sure where you are getting 63 career receptions from. Another guy you were slagging, Rodriguez, had a 1000yd season. In anycase both are considerably better than slag like Coehoorn that the Esks held up for all of those years. Just a pathetic drop down target for Reilly or anybody. I'd prefer an adequate possession receiver anytime.

As far as Reilly's contract that just hit this season afairc. By which time the club had already obtained the help it needed. For instance, and I even stated it, the Willis signing in 2013 is KEY. An absolute leader on defense. Matt O' Donnell also a huge signing for the club post Ray. Esks also got guys like Kendial Lawrence (I have mixed feelings on that one) among others. I do think they could have kept some of those like Laurent.

Tillman, agreed, but other managers would have done similar.

I think you are Stoneman btw. Possibly Guymez. You're similarly enraged about the Ray criticisms. heh
    Last edited by Replacement; 21-08-2017 at 01:02 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I mentioned it several posts up in between arguing. I like the addition. Chick is at the end of his career but I think he could still help us down the stretch this year. He's got miles though. You don't play the game like he does and not have a load of assorted aches and pains.

More reasonable reply and at least something to respond to. Your stats must be broken. Bauman had 48 catches and nearly 600yds in 2008. That was as a young player and that's very good for a young Canadian. He had 141 career receptions, not bad for his limited use and being a non import. Not sure where you are getting 63 career receptions from. Another guy you were slagging, Rodriguez, had a 1000yd season. In anycase both are considerably better than slag like Coehoorn that the Esks held up for all of those years. Just a pathetic drop down target for Reilly or anybody. I'd prefer an adequate possession receiver anytime.

As far as Reilly's contract that just hit this season afairc. By which time the club had already obtained the help it needed. For instance, and I even stated it, the Willis signing in 2013 is KEY. An absolute leader on defense. Matt O' Donnell also a huge signing for the club post Ray. Esks also got guys like Kendial Lawrence (I have mixed feelings on that one) among others. I do think they could have kept some of those like Laurent.

I think you are Stoneman btw. Possibly Guymez. You're similarly enraged about the Ray criticisms. heh

This is where I got the stats from.

O'Donnell and Willis aren't getting paid less this year, I would imagine. If the Eskimos can manage an outstanding roster this year they probably could have done it with Ray and his salary in 2012. The drop off from Ray to Jyles was too severe. What kind of GM plans on not having a decent QB?

What would have happened to this team if Tillman stayed on?

I do not post on HFboards and do not have a username.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

This is where I got the stats from.

O'Donnell and Willis aren't getting paid less this year, I would imagine. If the Eskimos can manage an outstanding roster this year they probably could have done it with Ray and his salary in 2012. The drop off from Ray to Jyles was too severe. What kind of GM plans on not having a decent QB?

What would have happened to this team if Tillman stayed on?

I do not post on HFboards and do not have a username.
    Why would you use an unauthorized unofficial site that is not properly maintained rather than the actual CFLDB that I've linked in the thread multiple times. Here you go;

https://stats.cfldb.ca/team/edmonton-eskimos/2011/

then click roster, click Chris Bauman, load stats, and voila;

https://stats.cfldb.ca/person/chris-bauman/

make sure to click "load stats" on the bottom of page. Works perfect.

Heh, next time at least have the right stat source to cite.

As for the Esks not having a legit QB you must not have been around for much of the 60's. From the tail end of Jackie Parker to the end of the 60's the Esks had a nonstop QB auditioning thing going on for years. Predictably the team was bad. But in pro sports rebuilds happen all the time. That was an Esks rebuild albeit finished by Hervey.
    That happens in pro sports. So that the Esks had 2years post Ray where they were not very good. There was multiple years with Ray where they were not very good as I illustrated.

In anycase other than a rash of terrible injuries its good being an Esks fan again. 2014, 15, 16, 17 was around the first time since say 2005 that it felt like that. Really the first time we've had sustained success which I also illustrated.
    Last edited by Replacement; 21-08-2017 at 02:29 PM.

Thanks for the stats link. Appearantly stats.CFLdb "is not affiliated with the CFL, CFLPA, or any other Canadian Football organization or really anybody at all."
    Although their stats did match what I found on the actual CFL site.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12