Thread: Pedestrian shift challenges Edmonton's 'beg buttons' and traffic signals

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Pedestrian shift challenges Edmonton's 'beg buttons' and traffic signals

Pedestrian shift challenges Edmonton's 'beg buttons' and traffic signals
    http://ow.ly/mCFU308VM4l
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'd rather C2E than work!

Sometimes the "beg buttons" make sense, such as on a lightly used crosswalk crossing a wide, high traffic volume road where a regular walk cycle would cause excessive delays, but many of them are not needed. Examples of the latter are the intersections of 106 Av and 107 Av with 105 St, where adding a regular walk phase to every cycle would not cause excessive delay, and would actually remedy the too-short green period for automobile traffic on 106 Av as well.

C2E Posting Power

In general I think the city needs to do a review of pedestrian light timings around downtown. I realize it's a balancing act to traffic flow, but some intersections are ridiculous; particularly on the "quieter" roads like 100 and 102 ave. Some intersections make you wait for 2-3 minutes, and then give maybe 2 seconds before the flashing hand appears.

Despite the growth in people working, living, and visiting downtown over the past decade (a trend likely to continue), it often seems like the city's attitude towards downtown road priorities remains in the 90s.