Thread: ETS New Name

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default ETS New Name

On some city websites, including the main ETS page, ETS says that it is the "Edmonton Transit Service". In fact the proper name is the Edmonton Transit System.

Is this an admission that ETS really doesn't operate as a coherent system? I can't say the name change appeals to me too much. It sounds like something a smaller town might call its transit system.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

There seems to be a push to regionalize and better incorporate St. Albert Transit, Strathcona County Transit, and Leduc Transit into the wider system.

Eventually going to need a new name for the wider system, particularly if a person can get a single harmonized pay system going with zone-based fares.

I always assumed that switching to the label "service" was basically a PR move, meant to emphasize that the department serves the public.

As for it being a small-town thing, I'm not sure about that. Toronto calls its police department the Toronto Police Service
    Last edited by overoceans; 19-02-2017 at 12:00 PM.

I'm immediately led to think that an org that doesn't even know what its name is might not be too good..
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I always thought that ETS meant, Edmonton Transit Screwup or Eventually Transit Shows-up or Edmonton's Tardy Service or ....
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E Continued Contributor

I have a friend who works for ETS and they said it was an official name change that Eddie Robar implemented recently.

So let's see, here we have a manager who has been with ETS for less than two years, who "just decides" that he will personally rename the transit system, which has gone by the same name since 1908. No public consultations. How is this acceptable behaviour from a public servant?

I am surprised that they did not sell the rights for corporate branding like Rexall Place.

How about The Brick Transit Service?

Telus Transit
    Skyreach Streetcars
    Subway's Subway
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    I am surprised that they did not sell the rights for corporate branding like Rexall Place.

How about The Brick Transit Service?

Telus Transit
    Skyreach Streetcars
    Subway's Subway
    Don't be ridiculous. You are minimizing a legitimate issue. Since when can the ETS general manager simply rename it without any public consultation? This is the real issue.

ETS has been a mess for years. They have a monopoly and no interest in improving service except in mega projects. Even so, the streetcar to Millwood will me slower than the existing express bus service and cost $100 million per kilometer.

ETS has the largest union in the COE and any form of efficiency is resisted because they see as a threat to their membership.

Changing a name is like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic IMHO.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 20-02-2017 at 06:48 AM.

C2E Continued Contributor

I really don't see the big deal about the name change...

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    ETS has been a mess for years. They have a monopoly and no interest in improving service except in mega projects. Even so, the streetcar to Millwood will me slower than the existing express bus service and cost $100 million per kilometer.

ETS has the largest union in the COE and any form of efficiency is resisted because they see as a threat to their membership.

Changing a name is like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic IMHO.
    You know. I've heard about those deck chairs all my life. So much that I'm tempted to start a similar board or online themed game.

Well, now, anyway, if they'd have gotten a whole bunch of people up on them thar decks of the titanic to rearrange those famous deck chairs, well, maybe someone would have realized that they were steaming towards a big f'ing iceberg and averted disaster.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12093885_f520.jpg

http://hubpages.com/living/The-Steamer-Chair-Story

The Titanic kept going at a high rate of speed through waters full of icebergs. Everything was left to those in control. Maybe more eyes on deck would have led to some calls for use of common sense.
    Last edited by KC; 21-02-2017 at 07:46 PM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

It was dark though, wasn't it? I don't know that they had night-vision glasses then.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

KC is thinking of the movie...
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

You guys must have missed all the other depts that also changed their names to end in Services. Something tells me it wasn't a singular person that decided to change the name on a whim.

Quote Originally Posted by illin View Post
    You guys must have missed all the other depts that also changed their names to end in Services. Something tells me it wasn't a singular person that decided to change the name on a whim.
    Edmonton had a number of highly publicized police-brutality cases, including one in which someone got their fingers broken, in the period right before the department changed its name to Edmonton Police Service. After the change was made, the Sun(in what was a bit of a departure from its usual cheerleading for the cops) editorialized "Edmontonians do not expect broken fingers from a service".

I think that kind of sums up the general idea behind these name-changes. It's supposed to sound more humanistic. Personally, I liked "system" just fine(seems more grown-up somehow), and I'd prefer it if the institutions in question focused more on changing their practices, rather than symbolic gestures like re-branding.

As this page details, the ETS has had about four to six names during its history, and that does not count the period from 1977 to 1993 when it was called simply "Edmonton Transit".

If there were pathetic whiners around for the other name changes as well, history has given their noise the oblivion it deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    It was dark though, wasn't it? I don't know that they had night-vision glasses then.
    Well, I wasn't there, maybe they had moonlight vision. There were however other icebergs present. It was described as an ice field. Apparently a rescue ship had to maneuvere around icebergs to get to the survivors. Another ship stopped because of the ice bergs. An obtuse topic for another obtuse thread for those relaxing in deck chairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    KC is thinking of the movie...
    Yeah, what the hell, instead of that king of the world crap, why didn't that dude just stop to see what was right in front of him. One of those pesky ironic twists in the manuscript.