Thread: Residing houses with added insulation

Default Residing houses with added insulation

Does anyone know in detail what process is typically used?

Tear off existing siding? Remove stucco? Then strap and add insulation board, but what type? Do they strap over the stucco? Strapping depth 1", 2"...?

What type(s) of siding typically get used?

Other issues? Ie sealing around windows etc.

What issues are there regarding shifting the dew point, etc?
    Last edited by KC; 22-02-2017 at 07:52 PM.

Bits I know from looking into it myself, and watching it done several times:

- old siding has to go
    - removing stucco is more than most people do because $$$, but can be necessary to correct problems under the stucco
    - insulation is high-density foam usually R7
    - Tyvek wrapping to seal the house
    - strapping over Tyvek, unless you can rely on nailing into studs
    - anything attached to the exterrior will have to be backed off to take the added depth of insulation and strapping
    - there are a range of siding types, plastic vs metal, some insulated too
    - cheap plastic siding can be cracked if hit when cold (from experience)
    - if you have an old furnace that draws indoor air, the more you seal a house (new windows and Tyvek wrap) the harder the furnace will work to draw

Some links in the first answer here:

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...hanging-siding
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

Not sure why bother. We still have all original windows, insulation, never done anything with it on a bungalow with stucco siding (would never rip that out to improve insulation value. )

Still, with a high efficiency gas furnace and new water heater our gas bills are negligible.

Heating gas is so cheap and the high efficiency furnace so good that its just not necessary to improve the R value that much.

In no way with the material/labor expenses involved will you ever recoup that investment.

About the only thing we do to reduce use is keep indoor temperature at reasonable (not hot) temp and turn thermostat down at night and when not home. Gas bills are rarely over 100bucks.

I just don't get what people think they will be saving.

Specific to the OP Stucco is a far superior application vs any vinyl siding and would be a shame to strip that just for somewhat better R value. Don't discount either that a Stucco exterior is a lot more durable and fire resistant. Would NEVER take on what the OP is asking with an already Stucco exterior house. you are basically reducing the value of your home if going from Stucco finish to cheap clad siding. I love our thick stucco exterior. That Stucco siding you would end up removing costs around 20-30K more than Vinyl siding. Why would anybody do that? Stucco is GREAT as an exterior in our dry climate.
    Last edited by Replacement; 22-02-2017 at 09:53 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Hard Core Contributor

The typical process is just to nail the rigid insulation over top of the stucco. Leaving the stucco up helps create a bit of an air barrier and leakage path if necessary. Then they mount the siding over top. Due to the low weight of vinyl, then can just use long nails that go through the insulation, stucco and into the original sheathing. Around windows they will frame using 2x, and then wrap in aluminum and caulk. Often you replace the windows at the same time in which case they can make the window casement deeper.

It will have a very small effect on your heating bills. What we did notice was the temperature profile throughout the house was more even, and a little bit quieter. In the older bungalows, a lot of bedrooms are on outside corners, so a little bit extra insulation helps to reduce cold spots and draftiness.

If you want to put cedar/Longboard up they will need to install nailing strips. USually just 2x2 with the rigid insulation between. If you want to do hardiboard over top, it's nailing strips and then new sheathing over top of that.

This is for the basic re-siding.
    If you are passionate and have the space/money, I've seen a few that nail open joists to the side (like 12" deep) and then fill with insulation for a super insulated home. Penetrations, windows and interface with roof all become complicated and need to be well planned out.