Thread: Soldier for a Day 2017 and upcoming military anniversaries.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Default Soldier for a Day 2017 and upcoming military anniversaries.

41 Canadian Brigade Group Recruiting is hosting a "Soldier for a Day" event in Edmonton on March 25th from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm. The intent is to allow members of the public to learn more about the military and experience what it's like to be a soldier. Lunch is provided, there is no cost, but you must be at least 16 years old to attend and parental approval for those under 18. People can register by emailing [email protected] before 15 March. More information on the 41 CBG Recruiting Facebook page.

Also, most people know that 2017 is the 150 Anniversary of Confederation in Canada but there are several important military anniversaries this year as well:

75th Anniversary of 41 Canadian Brigade Group -04 Feb 17
    100th Anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge - 09-12 Apr 17
    100th Anniversary of the Battle of Hill 70 - 15-25 Aug 17
    75th Anniversary of the Dieppe Raid - 19 Aug 17
    100th Anniversary of the Battle of Passchendaele - 26 Oct - 08 Nov 17.

Thanks for the post, great opportunity!!!

I sometimes wonder if after high school grad every teen should do one year of non-combatative service. It would be a great way to teach skills like team work, critical thinking, stamina and a host of other things. The majority of teens do a great job planning out their futures and for some I think this would be an all round finishing off of their education. For the teens struggling a bit it I think it would help them get focused. It would also serve us well in the future if we have to call up extra people for service. Fingers crossed that never happens though.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Might be just semantics but even though there are many jobs outside of the Combat Arms, that doesn't mean non-combative service. Universality of Service applies to all members of the Canadian Armed Forces and unlimited liability is something fundamental to military service.

By non-combative I mean not going to war. Sorry if it's misleading but that's what I mean. I think the armed services teach more than just combat skills. Sure show them how to respect and handle weapons but they will take away more lessons than that.

Ah, I'd say operational duty or deployment instead of war. That would fall into the Primary Reserve, as they are not required to deploy without an Order-in-Council from the Federal Government nor are they require to move locations for the military. But they do train for full-spectrum operations including combat, in addition to their occupation/trade.

Thanks for the info. I, for one, appreciate all our armed forces do.

The Soldier for a Day event was today. It seems it went really well!

http://globalnews.ca/news/3334875/ne.../?sf65844275=1