Thread: Feds to put $47.8 million into Ft. Edmonton Park

C2E Continued Contributor

Default Feds to put $47.8 million into Ft. Edmonton Park

Excellent news from the federal government.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...park-expansion
    Every once in a while Ottawa does some good.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

nice!
    Onward and upward

C2E Long Term Contributor

Massive expansion and opportunity there.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Continued Contributor

I'm really looking forward to the roller coaster, I remember my parents telling me about the original in Borden Park. This will be great.

Awesome news. Also looking forward to the roller coaster.

Wondering about this bit though:

As well, a 250-person banquet hall will be built on empty land beside the hotel.
    This is going to be historical, right? A re-creation of a banquet hall from our past, right?

Hoping that means Thistle Rink...
    Let's make Edmonton better.

I would love for Edmonton, or really, Canada west of Montreal, to have a decent outdoor amusement park that is just as fun for people over 12 as under. Super stoked for the roller coaster. Playland is okay but the rides are honestly pretty terrible and it's set in a parking lot. As a bit of a coaster enthusiast, I can't even express how thankful I am that we at least have Mindbender, but Galaxyland is starting to look kind of post apocalyptic lol. They really need to renovate it.
    Last edited by Seandroid; 06-03-2017 at 11:32 AM.

Fort Edmonton is one of my wife's favourite Edmonton attractions & it got lots of attention from my in-laws when it was time to show everyone the pics from her trip. Was a little eye-opening when I told them what age the replica Fort was meant to portray & they remarked the house my wife lives in in Sweden is over a hundred years older.

Glad to see it'll keep on growing!
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by Seandroid View Post
    I would love for Edmonton, or really, Canada west of Montreal, to have a decent outdoor amusement park that is just as fun for people over 12 as under. Super stoked for the roller coaster. Playland is okay but the rides are honestly pretty terrible and it's set in a parking lot. As a bit of a coaster enthusiast, I can't even express how thankful I am that we at least have Mindbender, but Galaxyland is starting to look kind of post apocalyptic lol. They really need to renovate it.
    The issue is short season. 4 months a year just isn't enough to cover the bills.
    And yes, galaxyland is well overdue for a new look. I miss the original look, and the current reminds me of bad taste from the mid 90's - a style that hasn't aged well, and never really did look good imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seandroid View Post
    The issue is short season. 4 months a year just isn't enough to cover the bills.
    And yes, galaxyland is well overdue for a new look. I miss the original look, and the current reminds me of bad taste from the mid 90's - a style that hasn't aged well, and never really did look good imo.
    I dunno, Montréal has La Rondé and it's got a pretty similar climate to us. Montréal winters are awful. Calaway Park also manages just fine; clearing over half a million in attendance every year since 2003 and it's seeing growth. But yeah, I completely agree about Galaxyland; especially when you compare it to Nickelodeon Universe at Mall of America. There's so little plant life and it's so dark in Galaxyland. They also keep getting rid of good rides and replacing them with cheap fairground rides. They got rid of the top spin ride and the Solar Flare ride, both of which provided a more intense ride experience that I quite enjoyed. The theming is terrible on the new Zero Gravity ride. Even Canada's Wonderland only has around a 5-6 month season, sometimes stretching to 6-7 months. I don't see why we couldn't have a park open from May - September/October depending on the weather. Most amusement parks are pretty flexible.
    Last edited by Seandroid; 06-03-2017 at 01:22 PM.

I'd take galaxyland over Calaway park any day of the year. Calaway park has barely floated along, almost bankrupt a few times.

Montreal and to the same with wonderland in S Ont. has a much larger catchment area than either Calgary or Edmonton. 5-8 Million people within a few hours and the city or region as a whole is a much larger tourist draw than anything in Alberta. Both seasons are more like 6-8 months, but Edmonton would be 4-5 months at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    I'd take galaxyland over Calaway park any day of the year. Calaway park has barely floated along, almost bankrupt a few times.

Montreal and to the same with wonderland in S Ont. has a much larger catchment area than either Calgary or Edmonton. 5-8 Million people within a few hours and the city or region as a whole is a much larger tourist draw than anything in Alberta. Both seasons are more like 6-8 months, but Edmonton would be 4-5 months at best.
    I don't know if the length of summer here matters that much - kids are out of school for about the same amount of time here as there. Perhaps our weather is more variable and a generally bit cooler, but we can often have some quite pleasant weather in May or October too so the season may be a bit longer than you think.

I think an advantage over Calaway is the location right in the city and being part of the established Fort Edmonton Park, which already has a variety of other indoor and outdoor attractions.

What makes you think our season could only be 4-5 months? I think it's more like 5-6 months. The weather in Edmonton is nice enough from mid April all the way through September and usually up until mid October. It typically doesn't snow until the end of October. There's nothing inherent about roller coasters that makes them incapable of running in 10 degree weather. Some Japanese amusement parks are open in the snow lol. Amusement parks also often make places tourist destinations; look at Cedar Point. It's in Sandusky Ohio... who cares about Sandusky Ohio?

I know Ohio has a bigger population than Alberta, but I'm not suggesting we should necessarily build a park the size of cedar point. Even if Calaway just added a couple proper, modern roller coasters I'd be stoked.

Edit: I actually just checked. Cedar Point's operating season is may through October.
    Last edited by Seandroid; 06-03-2017 at 02:55 PM.

Agreed: there is nothing inherent about roller coasters that makes them incapable of running in 10 degree weather.
    - roller coasters can probably operate all year round, and in most weather conditions.... I don't see this as the problem

Disagree:
    The weather in Edmonton is nice enough from mid April all the way through September and usually up until mid October.\
    -riding a roller coaster at 15 C or less doesn't seem that desirable to me, and I doubt very many other people - not enough to keep the park open and turn a profit.
    -You'll need to staff the park in full if you are opening. Paying staff when nobody is coming is not desirable to the owner/operator, opening the park just to have a loss is worse that keeping the park closed and saving the staffing costs.
    -Your prime months are going to be late may to early september. 4-5 months tops. TOPS

the big issue here is the same as the patio issue. Staffing. Sure, the weather may or may not be nice enough to open the patios earlier than they open, but you wont have staff on standby. Staff need to get paid. You don't want to pay staff if not enough demand to break even. As an owner/operator, you want to make money. Making money is May or September is going to be pretty hard here in Edmonton, School is back in, weather is hit/miss. People are not flocking here for vacations, but you still need to operate in near full capacity of staff/maintenance in a time of diminishing or even negative returns.

Yes, an outdoor amusement park would be a nice to have. If it was at all feasible and could provide a reasonable ROI, I'm sure we would have it already. It's not and doesn't, so we don't.

Last edited by Medwards; 06-03-2017 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Fort Edmonton is one of my wife's favourite Edmonton attractions & it got lots of attention from my in-laws when it was time to show everyone the pics from her trip. Was a little eye-opening when I told them what age the replica Fort was meant to portray & they remarked the house my wife lives in in Sweden is over a hundred years older.

Glad to see it'll keep on growing!
    Yeah, not really old in terms of buildings, but that's what's exciting about this announcement, that we're finally getting more than a token acknowledgement of the region's previous 7,000 years!
    Let's make Edmonton better.

But Calaway actually is quite profitable; if you read the Wikipedia on it, it's prior issues were complex and not entirely related to the park itself. It's consistently profitable now and keeps doing better every year.