Thread: Problem with my Neighbor's tree

Default Problem with my Neighbor's tree

Hi there,

My neighbor has this tree in his driveway in his garbage area that is growing uncontrollably and leaning over onto our side and through the fence line. Also, the roots of that tree are growing underneath the soil as well so it's a huge nuisance for us to chop the leaves every spring.

My question is has anyone had a similar problem with their neighbor's tree and whether they have contacted the city to have something done?

I'm considering this since I have left notes for the neighbor to comply and even left my phone number to discuss but he hasn't replied yet. Since this is his tree, he should be dealing with this.

He's been a nuisance neighbor since he moved next door.

Just need some advice. I doubt leaving note after note would help since he's ignoring me anyways.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Thanks jadzia, Top_Dawg is curious about this too.

Is this tree in the front or the back of your house ?

Kinda sounds like the back, but just to be sure.

Be a Man, ring his door bell and talk to him face to face.

That's some impressive casual sexism trotted out on International Women's Day.

Bravo!
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Lighten up, noodle.

People don't need to be shamed by you.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Unless the tree is unhealthy and in danger of falling onto your property and causing damage, I don't see the problem. It is unfortunate that your neighbor seems lazy, but these things happen. Prune the branches hanging over your property if you want. Consider it a chore no different than cutting the lawn or pulling weeds.

I have the same issue with one of my neighbors trees but my neighbor is a good guy and does not care if I cut the branches now and then. Some of the smaller branches grow through the fence spaces and in places I don't mind but in places they can effect parking. I think it is O K for you to cut the branches back if they intrude on your side of the property but cutting your side back can make for one ugly tree/shrub. As for the roots. Well, I have that too and it kills the grass because it robs it of water. I do have a good neighbor and I think one of your problems is that you do not like the guy so it does not help matters as when you don't like someone stuff becomes annoying. If your aim is that he start cutting down trees I don't think it will happen. I think the best you can do is to keep the branches off your property. As for the roots, well I think your stuck with them. Go see the guy and tell him your issues. You never know he might comply.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

I've had to talk to my neighbor about a similar issue as well. When I told him I planned to cut off the branches hanging onto my property, he agreed to hire an arborist to prune the big tree so it didn't encroach so much into my yard, yet still looked nice.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post

Bravo!
    Didn't know it is sexist to talk to people face to face. Thanks for the tip snowflake.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Jadzia, I had this exact situation about 30 years ago with my neighbour. I also found out that there isn't much you can do about it. You get to trim branches that extend to your side of the property but if you harm the tree you can be sued (usually successfully). Your only chance is to prove the tree is diseased or poses a threat of toppling. As for runners (roots), you get to trim them but if you kill the tree then you can again be sued. There is nothing your neighbour has to comply with unless the laws have changed.

Just looking for something official on this. Don't mean to hijack the thread but I have a potential issue out at the lake with trees falling onto neighbours properties and doing damage. We already had one comedown and tear open the vinyl siding on a neighbour's building. I offered to pay for hte dmages but he turned me down. I also offered to pay for removing other threatening trees. Instead he got a friend in and they took down about 15 more trees on our property that could have come down and done damage. Nice to have neighbours that are willing to jsut work things out - and in this case I think it was a great deal for me.

Who is at fault when a tree falls on a neighbouring property?
    September 11, 2014

By Tamara Elliott and Tony Tighe Global News

One of the biggest areas of confusion is what happens when someone’s tree falls and damages another person’s property. It turns out that the person whose vehicle or home was damaged should be the one filing an insurance claim.

“It doesn’t matter where the tree came from, it’s your policy that responds,” explains Robyn Young from the Insurance Brokers Association of Alberta. “Your homeowners policy, your auto policy would respond to the resulting damage from the falling object, whatever it may be.”

READ MORE: Cleanup continues after summer snow hits Calgary

As for who should be responsible for moving the actual tree, that’s a grey area.

“It’s not an insurance issue, so it would be something like a good neighbour policy. If it’s your tree you probably should be removing it, but it’s really between you and your neighbour.”

However, it’s up to homeowners to remove branches before they can do any more harm.

“If it’s on your property, it’s your responsibility to make sure that there’s no further damage to your property regardless of where the tree comes from.”

http://globalnews.ca/news/1559124/wh...ring-property/

When Your Tree Damages a Neighbour's Property
    By: albertaarb - February 29, 2016

Who's Responsible for the Damage?

Let's say your tree's branches are so long that they're starting to damage your neighbour's roof. "Well, it's his roof," you might say. "He should be responsible for his own property."

You'd be wrong, and your neighbour would have every right to sue you for the cost of repairing his roof. Even if the tree's branches are over the property line, the roots and the trunk are still on your side. And that means that you're responsible for any damage they cause.

Your Neighbour's Rights

Should your tree cause serious damage to your neighbour's property (such as with the example of the rotting tree), he or she has the legal right to sue you for compensation. And if his or her lawyer can prove that your negligence in maintaining the tree led to the incident, you'll have to pay quite a bit of money.

Your neighbour also has the right to cut down a branch from your tree hanging into his or her yard if there's a risk of danger to the individual or to the property. He or she can only cut that branch, and your neighbour can't go onto your side of the fence in order to do the trimming.

http://www.albertaarborists.com/News...bours-Property
    Last edited by KC; 08-03-2017 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle View Post

Bravo!
    Didn't know it is sexist to talk to people face to face. Thanks for the tip snowflake.
    But you used the terminology of "be a man" as in "man up" and you would be aware of what the implied converse of that is. Sometimes thoughts, and ways of thinking are exposed in vernacular and terminology used. Changing the dialogue, and how things are expressed, and confronting that is part of altering attitudes.

I would talk to the neighbor, see if anything can be worked out. It helps to explain that the tree roots and such are likely creating a problem as well on the neighbors side of the fence.

Notes in this instance would be likely annoying to the neighbor and possibly creating resistance instead of common ground. Be aware as well that different people exist with different ranges of caring about such things. What might be a big deal to you may be nowhere on a priority list for a neighbor, who, for all we know has a lot more things to focus on or problems in life.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Bravo!
    But you used the terminology of "be a man" as in "man up" and you would be aware of what the implied converse of that is. Sometimes thoughts, and ways of thinking are exposed in vernacular and terminology used. Changing the dialogue, and how things are expressed, and confronting that is part of altering attitudes.

I would talk to the neighbor, see if anything can be worked out. It helps to explain that the tree roots and such are likely creating a problem as well on the neighbors side of the fence.

Notes in this instance would be likely annoying to the neighbor and possibly creating resistance instead of common ground. Be aware as well that different people exist with different ranges of caring about such things. What might be a big deal to you may be nowhere on a priority list for a neighbor, who, for all we know has a lot more things to focus on or problems in life.
    The lingo may be problematic if jadzia2000 is a woman - and doesn't want to be a man - but then to treat a woman just like a man, by calling her a man - shows a total absense of sexism, doesn't it? That would be like colour blindness, but instead, gender blindness. Right?
    Last edited by KC; 08-03-2017 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

Bravo!

The lingo may be problematic if jadzia2000 is a woman - and doesn't want to be a man - but then to treat a woman just like a man, by calling her a man - shows a total absense of sexism, doesn't it? That would be like colour blindness, but instead, gender blindness. Right?

Lets ask Sophie Gregoire. I mean that in humor. Its unfortunate she's getting cut down today for her comments. I responded this way because the morning after the night before I couldn't figure out the riddle above. Maybe fitting for the day it is. Doesn't celebrating women one day kind of interfere with the notion of celebrating the gender every day? Or all genders, all days?

Are any species of trees gendered? Does a tree weep when its cut down or is that just sap flowing. These are questions as I try to be one with the universe.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Thanks for the reply guys.

I figured there was probably nothing that can be done.

The thing is that I don't think this guy really cares what happens to the tree.

It is planted right in the centre of his garbage bin. I'm not kidding.

If you care about a tree, the garbage bin in the driveway would be the last place any tree should be planted.

The branches are growing underneath the surface and through our driveway.

I am concerned about structural damage as this stupid thing grows faster than I can cut the branches.

Do I like my neighbor? I admit I don't respect him as he's a sloppy homeowner. His backyard is full of dead wood and he's also taken apart the fence and never put it back in the 5 years since he started maintenance on it.

We can't choose our neighbors, right? But this guy has done more to show he doesn't give a damn about who he might be affecting.

Not good to see roots coming up through a driveway. Not sure what you could put on the cracks to stop that. Soil sterilant? f it's not a big tree you could ask if you couldn't just remove the tree.

As an aside, out at the cabin, I once dumped out a container of what I thought was just water on a mugo pine I'd bought for out there. Turned out to be a water jug filled with vinegar. Killed the plant. Not sure if that might work to stop roots from growing under the driveway.

Bravo!

Lets ask Sophie Gregoire. I mean that in humor. Its unfortunate she's getting cut down today for her comments. I responded this way because the morning after the night before I couldn't figure out the riddle above. Maybe fitting for the day it is. Doesn't celebrating women one day kind of interfere with the notion of celebrating the gender every day? Or all genders, all days?

Are any species of trees gendered? Does a tree weep when its cut down or is that just sap flowing. These are questions as I try to be one with the universe.
    Yes, it's hard to leaf it alone when you're rooting for the victim that's doing all they can to stop themselves from barking obscenities at the rather shady character living nextdoor.

Not good to see roots coming up through a driveway. Not sure what you could put on the cracks to stop that. Soil sterilant? f it's not a big tree you could ask if you couldn't just remove the tree.

As an aside, out at the cabin, I once dumped out a container of what I thought was just water on a mugo pine I'd bought for out there. Turned out to be a water jug filled with vinegar. Killed the plant. Not sure if that might work to stop roots from growing under the driveway.
    It's a huge tree. It's about 12 feet high and pretty thick.

I just wonder since it's winter that he's not planning to do anything now since the soil is frozen.

I figure I should just wait until April when the weather opens up.

I'm thinking of just getting an electric chainsaw because the branches are too rubbery to cut with an ordinary saw and it's an exhausting process.

Quote Originally Posted by jadzia2000 View Post
    Thanks for the reply guys.

I figured there was probably nothing that can be done.

The thing is that I don't think this guy really cares what happens to the tree.

It is planted right in the centre of his garbage bin. I'm not kidding.

If you care about a tree, the garbage bin in the driveway would be the last place any tree should be planted.

The branches are growing underneath the surface and through our driveway.

I am concerned about structural damage as this stupid thing grows faster than I can cut the branches.

Do I like my neighbor? I admit I don't respect him as he's a sloppy homeowner. His backyard is full of dead wood and he's also taken apart the fence and never put it back in the 5 years since he started maintenance on it.

We can't choose our neighbors, right? But this guy has done more to show he doesn't give a damn about who he might be affecting.
    The guy from the sounds of it doesn't give a damn period. Sounds like the tree just started growing there and nobody bothered to rip it out. Is it a poplar? They grow like weeds. I've seen people leaving a tree grow through their backyard deck. Just don't care. One guy I asked about it and he said "well, maybe its holding the deck up" Kind of what your dealing with. One not too subtle message is when you cut off all the branches on your side start painting them with red paint. Might send a message. Or apply something that kills the damn tree. (last resort, proceed carefully with that one) Somebody that seemingly don't care suddenly care enough to be enraged if they feel something was done to them.
    Last edited by Replacement; 08-03-2017 at 04:24 PM.

The guy might not care about the tree and if you offer to take it down at no charge he might go for it. A few years back an neighbor had one guy remove a tree for free as the guy wanted the wood for his fireplace. Something on kijijji like 'free tree removal if we can have the wood'. 12 ft. is not really a huge tree if it's cut 4ft at a time.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

12 feet isn't much to deal with. But as for thickness of the tree how thick is it, and what kind of tree. Electric chainsaws can be used on wider trees but with a mind to how long the chainbar is and that its going to take a long time with an electric chainsaw. With a tree like that which isn't tall its often easier just to make one clear cut near bottom, then let the tree fall and dry out before hacking the rest of it into cord wood. Dry wood is much easier to work with. I find that even a couple months makes a difference. For instance cut trees in spring, buck and chop wood in fall. I think that's how the farmers generally do it albeit they often let it over winter before dealing with it the next year. Dry wood is also considerably lighter. About half the weight if that. Plus theres no use at all working fresh chopped tree as the wood doesn't burn anyway until its dry.

Even if the trunk was cut half or three quarters way through at the 6ft mark the weight of the top half of the tree would snap the rest of the trunk if pushed hard enough. Then cut the rest as close to the ground as possible. Not to sure what to do with the stump though.

My neighbour has let some seeds grow, and now we have some trees that grow between our garages. I need to talk to her about removing them in the spring because they'll likely cause problems for both of us as they continue to grow. I don't think she's even aware they're growing there, so I doubt she'll care if I cut them down (after talking to her, of course).
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Well, I finally talked to my neighbor, with the help of my fence installer and he told the guy that there's 3 dead trees in his back yard leaned up against the fence on our shared property

He said that he would take care of the trees in a couple of weeks. That was back in May.

I should let him know that if there's a severe wind storm that knocks those trees over into our property that he would be legally liable now that he's aware of it.

If you have the means to cut the trees down yourself or someone in you household ask the neighbor if you can cut the trees down in his yard. Word it in a way that you are doing him a favor. Just say I see you must be to busy to get them trees cut and you have time (say when) and if he liked you could maybe get a start on them. See how that fly's.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    If you have the means to cut the trees down yourself or someone in you household ask the neighbor if you can cut the trees down in his yard. Word it in a way that you are doing him a favor. Just say I see you must be to busy to get them trees cut and you have time (say when) and if he liked you could maybe get a start on them. See how that fly's.
    I don't have the means.

I spent too much money this summer renovating and I have an arborist coming in a couple of weeks to take down a tree that's leaning up against another neighbor's fence, and they are going to trim all of the trees on our property to make it cleaner and nicer for the next few years.

I do want to deal with his branches hanging over and making contact with my roof, just to keep those away.

As for his trees, I just don't think it's fair for me to dish out my money for his negligence.

I do have a plan to call a mediation service the City of Edmonton recommended me to. I'm using that as a last resort.

^Sorry to hear that. It's to bad the guy is a procrastinator. I have some of my neighbors trees hanging over my property and they are very good about me trimming them back. They said just do what I have to do to keep the branches off my roof and trim them back where our vehicles are parked. Just about every year I do some trimming. I bought 2 Fiskar branch trimmers from Canadian Tire. A short one and a long one for higher branches. They paid for themselves in no time as an arborist would have charged as much for the two trimmers. Hopefully the guy does cut those trees down. He sounds like a bit of a jerk.

^Sorry to hear that. It's to bad the guy is a procrastinator. I have some of my neighbors trees hanging over my property and they are very good about me trimming them back. They said just do what I have to do to keep the branches off my roof and trim them back where our vehicles are parked. Just about every year I do some trimming. I bought 2 Fiskar branch trimmers from Canadian Tire. A short one and a long one for higher branches. They paid for themselves in no time as an arborist would have charged as much for the two trimmers. Hopefully the guy does cut those trees down. He sounds like a bit of a jerk.
    He's just lazy.

The trees leaning against the fence even broke most of the poles holding up the whole fence. There's one pole that's not broken holding up the whole fence.

I wanted to get my fence replaced this year and since the trees are in the way, there's nothing I can do at this time.

Since his wife passed away, he's been very lazy about keeping the house proper.

I bought an electric pole chainsaw and it works just great. I trimmed on my side of the driveway where the roots were growing and the job didn't take long at all.

Now I just need some round-up to kill the roots so they would stop growing.
    Last edited by jadzia2000; 10-07-2017 at 01:41 PM.

Now I just need some round-up to kill the roots so they would stop growing.
    Actually... Round-Up kills plants because glyphosate acts as a high-test root growth hormone that stimulates the roots to grow wildly faster than the leaves can support. Diluted sufficiently, Round-Up can be used as a rooting stimulant.

Round-Up has to be delivered to the foliage - it's taken up by the pores on the leaves and transported to the roots. It binds to soil and neutralizes on contact so just soaking the ground with it won't do much. Hint: when using Round-Up in tight quartersnear plants you want to keep, keep a bucket of muddy water handy to splash on any overspray.

Anything that would kill the tree roots will also kill that volume of soil for a very long time.

Sounds like your neighbour could appreciate your offer to deal with the issue - he sounds potentially depressed. Get a quote and tell the guy it'll cost X and it's a better deal than The City getting involved.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

I don't have the means.

I spent too much money this summer renovating and I have an arborist coming in a couple of weeks to take down a tree that's leaning up against another neighbor's fence, and they are going to trim all of the trees on our property to make it cleaner and nicer for the next few years.

I do want to deal with his branches hanging over and making contact with my roof, just to keep those away.

As for his trees, I just don't think it's fair for me to dish out my money for his negligence.

I do have a plan to call a mediation service the City of Edmonton recommended me to. I'm using that as a last resort.
    Maybe just mention to the neighbour that you have an arborist coming for your issue and he might be able to do his at the same time... So that the fence work can be done. Saying anything to a neighbour about their "liability now that they are aware of it" may just be 'perceived' as coercion - which might be a good call on their part. Of course, then the response may be, yeah no one is going to tell me what to do on my land... Let him sue me if or when my tree falls... Then a decade of neighbourly warfare goes by...

I don't have the means.

Maybe just mention to the neighbour that you have an arborist coming for your issue and he might be able to do his at the same time... So that the fence work can be done. Saying anything to a neighbour about their "liability now that they are aware of it" may just be 'perceived' as coercion - which might be a good call on their part. Of course, then the response may be, yeah no one is going to tell me what to do on my land... Let him sue me if or when my tree falls... Then a decade of neighbourly warfare goes by...
    I have no intention of mentioning lawsuits etc to this guy.

I did notice that he's slowly taking down one of the trees branch by branch. But this tree is not that big that it would take him 2 weeks to take off 2 branches.

He's the type of guy that starts a project but never finishes it.

I will talk to him about the arborist coming in a couple of weeks to see if he'll be available that day.

I know that another neighbor on the other side of me is aware of a tree leaning on our roof and he thinks that he'll be able to get them to cut it while they're at my house.

Neighbors. Too bad you can't choose them, huh?

So I thought I would give an update on my Neighbor and his annoying trees.

So far he has cut some of the branches and one of the trees is about 3/4's cut, but still there's the stump.

The stump appears to now be causing the fence to lean over on our side and looks like it may collapse by next summer.

I called the city of Edmonton but they now consider this a civil matter even though it may be considered a nuisance.

My question is has anyone had a mediator?

I have spoken to this guy twice and even though he says he will get the work done he doesn't get it done.

Other than putting a gun to his head (which I'm joking BTW), what else is there to do?

And no, paying for his side is not an option.

Unless I was crapping money, I expect him to cover half the cost of the new fence.

good luck on that. I live in a new area, and tried to work with my neighbour <who rents his property out> to pay for his half of the fence, and he just avoided me and ignored me. Didn't want to put a dime into it. So I ended up footing the bill. I made sure the fence was just on my side of the property line. Think I may paint the side that faces his all sorts of weird colours. They also find the skiddiest renters possible, and might mow the lawn twice a year. The backyard is a jungle of weeds.

That's Ambleside for ya.

Bunch o' horshacks

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

That's Ambleside for ya.

Bunch o' horshacks
    My neighbour <and their renters> seem to be an exception to all the others around me.

And I'm thinking of doing that. The only problem is how much I may have to sacrifice my property. The stump may still be a problem because it's rooted under the fence and the section where the fence is leaning is really leaning. So for me to build a new fence, it may still be an issue if the old fence is leaning against my new fence.

I got a quote for about $4000 for one side to install a vinyl fence. I think I may just have wood panel fences put there instead.

May I ask how much you ended up paying per sq foot?

I don't recall. This was early spring 2016, and I also built my deck along with it. I could work through my email and find it if you really want...

Just a rough estimate.

I'm sure it will be less than $4000. LOL!!

36$ per foot? 73 feet of fence, which includes 3 foot holes for posts filled with concrete. 2x6 top and bottom rails. $3074 includes tax. Also includes two gates/gate hardware.

I believe there are very specific laws concerning the building and replacement of fences in Alberta. Neighbours are obligated to pay half and can be taken to court on this (like that wouldn't ruin the relationship). As long as it's a reasonable fence for the neighbourhood (if new) or a similar quality replacement. If one side wants something premium, they have to pay the difference and split what the base price would be.

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    I believe there are very specific laws concerning the building and replacement of fences in Alberta. Neighbours are obligated to pay half and can be taken to court on this (like that wouldn't ruin the relationship). As long as it's a reasonable fence for the neighbourhood (if new) or a similar quality replacement. If one side wants something premium, they have to pay the difference and split what the base price would be.

I know my sister once told me that a neighbor just went ahead and put up the fence and then billed them for half later.

My sister and her husband are not the type to ignore so they happily obliged.

Based on my experience with Mr. Lazy if I shoot him half the bill I doubt I'll see a dime of it.

He's done nothing but ignore everything I've asked.

My other neighbor is not too bad, but whenever I bring up the idea of the fence, he's very hesistant.

Nobody likes to spend money, but that's the price of having to keep maintaining your home.

I have to repair my roof and that's going to cost me close to $9000 this fall. Do I like doing it? No. But can't afford to wait for a windstorm or hailstorm to help cover it.

I just wish people realize how they take care of their home is affecting others.

Thanks for the update.

I won't need the gate. Thankfully so it will likely be a bit cheaper.

Were they panel fences so you don't have to look at your neighbors yard?

Friends of ours agreed to build a new fence with their neighbour. Our friends would pay and build it and the neighbour agreed to split the cost of the material. In the meantime, the neighbour put his house up for sale and sold it before the fence was done. He said he wasn't going to pay since the house was under contract to sell. In the end he did pay because he verbally agreed to it. I believe our friends would have been within their rights to put a lien on the house if he hadn't paid.

Thanks for the update.

I won't need the gate. Thankfully so it will likely be a bit cheaper.

Were they panel fences so you don't have to look at your neighbors yard?
    Pricing to get a wood fence installed starts at $28/foot from what I recall (last year). I think vinyl fence was $46/foot installed.

If you're handy you should be able to build a fence for under $1,500. A neighbour and I did one out of cedar a couple of years ago and I think it cost us $1,200, or $600 each. There are people that will dig post holes for $10/hole if you need those done. Also, there's a new kind of pressure-treated wood that looks very similar to cedar (I believe it's available at Lowe's).
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

We had the back end of our yard fenced with vinyl, and for such a small job cost about $2300 not including the gate.

I've brought it up with my neighbors to see if they want to pitch on each end about doing it in Vinyl but no such luck.

If I agree to Panel fencing, then I can probably squeeze about $600 from each neighbor with me fronting about $1200 of it.

I'm sure they can afford that. However, if the neighbor's stump is not removed, I have no choice but to just build a new fence and cover my own cost.

I might just do that side as Vinyl since he probably won't pay any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    If you're handy you should be able to build a fence for under $1,500. A neighbour and I did one out of cedar a couple of years ago and I think it cost us $1,200, or $600 each. There are people that will dig post holes for $10/hole if you need those done. Also, there's a new kind of pressure-treated wood that looks very similar to cedar (I believe it's available at Lowe's).
    i'm not that handy, unfortunately.

However, one of my neighbors is, and I'm sure if I asked, that he'd be willing to work with me in reworking our fence and making it nice.

There's a few poles that need to be replaced as one of them has lifted. We had a tree removed, and will get the stump removed for next summer and then see if he can help me fix the posts and then I can decide where to go from there.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    i'm pretty sure those provisions only apply where the fencing is constructed in order to contain livestock and isn't likely to help recover the cost of fencing between residential back yards (unless you're lucky and your neighbor happens to be one of those pilot backyard chicken farmers).
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

It's a biatch when a fence is falling to the ground but the neighbors don't want to fix it or pay half for a new one. I don't think there is any law that says a new fence has to be paid by both parties unless I guess there is some kind of catastrophe like a hurricane where both insurance companies should cover it. It's a bad position to be in when you want to fix up your place and yet the neighbor will not pay half the cost of the fence or remove his stuff from infringing on your yard. . If you end up paying for the fence yourself make sure the nice side of the fence is on your side, but to be honest it seems your neighbor would not care. If you talked to the guy about the tree and said you (or/and your buddies) would help him take it down do you think he would be open to that. Make a dish of chilli and a couple of beers for after and get the tree down.

Dunno if anyone has mentioned it, but if this fence is so old it's falling down, it's probably so old that you can't assume it's on your dividing property line and before you sink a bunch of time and money into replacing it a survey would be wise or you could be building it on your neighbour's property.

^Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Dunno if anyone has mentioned it, but if this fence is so old it's falling down, it's probably so old that you can't assume it's on your dividing property line and before you sink a bunch of time and money into replacing it a survey would be wise or you could be building it on your neighbour's property.
    A survey isn't cheap. I think it can be around $700 for them to mark out the lot corners. If you have an RPR from when the house was purchased, it will show where the fence is in relation to the property line. You can use that as a guide to figure out if it's on the lot line or off (or partly on). I think if it's within 8" of the property line they consider it on the property line and draw it as such.

BTW, a RPR is a Real Property Report. You real estate agent probably called it a "Survey Certificate."

I would have thought that fencing would be priced by the linear foot.

It's a biatch when a fence is falling to the ground but the neighbors don't want to fix it or pay half for a new one. I don't think there is any law that says a new fence has to be paid by both parties unless I guess there is some kind of catastrophe like a hurricane where both insurance companies should cover it. It's a bad position to be in when you want to fix up your place and yet the neighbor will not pay half the cost of the fence or remove his stuff from infringing on your yard. . If you end up paying for the fence yourself make sure the nice side of the fence is on your side, but to be honest it seems your neighbor would not care. If you talked to the guy about the tree and said you (or/and your buddies) would help him take it down do you think he would be open to that. Make a dish of chilli and a couple of beers for after and get the tree down.

What I plan to do is make sure that the fence is built on my side and several inches from the root of that tree.

There's a bit of room that can make this possible. And I'm going to make sure the fence is high enough so I don't have to see the unslightly mess he has left his back yard.

There's wood and garbage everywhere on his property right now but I figure out of sight out of mind.